Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Superman's 2018 offseason mock (1.1) -- Bleep McDaniels edition

6 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

In your thread about Okoronkwo didn't you literally call him " a combination of Mathis and Freeney"?

Yeah...I like Okowronkwo better as a pure pass rusher...I think he has position versatility can play end and some OLB for us in certain packages....Bjorn Werner had very similar measurables to Chubb, had better stats in a top conference coming out..In 2012 Werner had 13 sacks, 18 TFL, and was voted Defensive Player of the Year..I don't see Chubb as such a sure thing...Ill have to see how he tests at the combine..

1 hour ago, life long said:

It doesn't really matter i suppose as long as he gets his playing time. Still i would be happier drafting a guy who is getting 1st team reps week 1. If we drafted Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Barkley, ect... I would be wanting them to start week 1 as well. A third overall pick is too high a pick to have him not starting IMO. No one on the D line should beat out Chubb right? If that is not the case I say trade back. He should start week 1 if he is the pick. Barring injury of course. Depth and a good rotation is needed but a 3rd overall pick is the kind of draft capital i hope we dont see for a long time. Gotta make it count. Still I think no matter who we take, they will be a huge difference maker for the Shoe. I am excited to see what the future brings!

Myles Garrett didn't start his first few games.  Not counting the first four he missed with an injury, but he didn't even start in his next two games (even though he recorded three sacks).  The defensive line is all about rotations and having the right personnel in for the right down and distance.  I wouldn't be upset if Chubb didn't start for a month.

3 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Yeah...I like Okowronkwo better as a pure pass rusher...I think he has position versatility can play end and some OLB for us in certain packages....Bjorn Werner had very similar measurables to Chubb, had better stats in a top conference coming out..In 2012 Werner had 13 sacks, 18 TFL, and was voted Defensive Player of the Year..I don't see Chubb as such a sure thing...Ill have to see how he tests at the combine..

All good, but by your own logic it's disrespectful to Freeny and Mathis to compare Okoronkwo to them too. Nobody knows how these kids will pan out which is why I cringe when I see any prospect mentioned in the same breath as hall of fame type players.

Just now, Boiler_Colt said:

All good, but by your own logic it's disrespectful to Freeny and Mathis to compare Okoronkwo to them too. Nobody knows how these kids will pan out which is why I cringe when I see any prospect mentioned in the same breath as hall of fame type players.

Fair enough you are right..Im not saying take Okoronkwo #3 though..In 2nd yes, I was more comparing them athletically, but I can see how it's bad optics, and people would get it misconstrued..

9 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Myles Garrett didn't start his first few games.  Not counting the first four he missed with an injury, but he didn't even start in his next two games (even though he recorded three sacks).  The defensive line is all about rotations and having the right personnel in for the right down and distance.  I wouldn't be upset if Chubb didn't start for a month.

Chubb ain't no Myles Garrett, if he was I would absolutely love to have him at #3, but if Garrett was in this draft he would go #1 again..

1 minute ago, jshipp23 said:

Fair enough you are right..Im not saying take Okoronkwo #3 though..In 2nd yes, I was more comparing them athletically, but I can see how it's bad optics, and people would get it misconstrued..

No worries, not trying to call you out specifically. I appreciate how you stick to your guns on prospects you like even if I may disagree here and there.

39 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Dwight Freeney was the 11th pick not the 3rd..It's disrespectful to Freeney to mention him in same breath as Chubb..

Bruh just stop... You're trying to make an argument out of taking what I said and spinning it way out of context. Again.. don't. However, I'll cater to your futile homerism of Freeney and say; even the greats like Freeney don't start right away. Now are you comprehending the point I was making? 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I'm expecting us to draft a guy who will play out two contracts, at least. I'm not so worried about the first month of his career. I also don't expect him to be a savior for the franchise, so judging that pick on the basis of whether he takes over a starting spot right away isn't part of my evaluation.

If it's Chubb, I would want him to be brought along at a pace that allows him to digest the game, adjust to the increased speed, and handle an increased workload gradually. He might only be used in third down packages to begin with. 

But I would expect to see him catch on relatively quickly, and have a productive rookie year. I don't think he needs to start right away, although it would be great if he did. Same goes for basically any player we might take at #3.

I just worry about slow playing it too much. Watching from a far Clowney took too long to be productive for my liking. It just sounds similar. Id feel more comfortable with spending that high of a pick on someone who will have more of an impact on every play. Obviously I am alone on this but give me Nelson, Fitz, or Saquon because no one currently on our roster will/should beat them out on the depth chart. I wont be upset if your scenario is what happens. I simply would prefer more of an impact type of player going at #3. Chubb is a great prospect but as you said anyone can be a bust and i would just rather find out sooner rather than later. Myles Garrett was the better prospect, and he didnt exactly help them win games. Clowney is good now but I hope Chubb figures things out faster than Jadaveon. Just my opinion...

On 2018. 02. 13. at 3:25 AM, Superman said:

A few random throughts:

- I think Ballard will keep a good chunk (20m-ish) of the available cap space, and roll it over to 2019. He did it last year wörking with much less cash.

- I expect Ballard to continue to structure contracts front loaded. At least the higher valued / longer contracts. So if if Norwell will arrive, his hit in 2018 will be more than his yearly avg.

After looking up Bleacher Reports top NFL Offensive Guards I am liking current starter at RG Brandon Fusco ranked #23 (49ers 2018 UFA). 

LG Senio Kelemete ranked #34 (Saints) 2018 UFA currently the backup but should end up taking over for Andrus Peat (ranked #40)

OG/C Zach Fulton ranked #25 (Chiefs) 2018 UFA

Finally got an updated FA wish list together:

RCB E.J. Gaines PFF 86.6 #13 CB high quality

SS  Tyvon Branch – (injury backup) PFF 88.5 #6 high quality

• 2 year 10 million deal had 5 million guaranteed

RG Brandon Fusco ranked #23 (49ers) – 2018 UFA / Starter PFF 76.0 #21 G average

• Brandon Fusco signed a one year, $1.1 million contract with the 49ers. Fusco received a $100,000 signing bonus and a $150,000 salary guarantee. Another $500,000 in incentives are available.

ILB Avery Williamson 2017 PFF 85.6 #10 LB

ILB Todd Davis (bu) 1.5 m 2017 PFF 77.1 #34 LB (average)

• Favorable to Klein who signed a three-year, $15 million contract with the Saints last March (5m/year)

DL Ndamukong Suh 91 PFF #5 DI

• 4 year 68 million with 30 million guaranteed (17 million / year)

• 5 year 85 million with 40 million guaranteed

DT Daquan Jones (IR) + 1.5m 2017 PFF overall 80.8 #42 DI (should be a hot commodity in FA)

• 4.4 million / year best guess?

DT Shamar Stephen (depth) 650k 2017 PFF 72.4 *87 DI

2 million / year best guess?