Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Official: Nick Sirianni hired as Colts' OC

zibby43

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, krunk said:

Wondering who the QB coach will be as well as the Linebacker and DB coaches.

Good question.  I can see both the Ballard (Sirianni was Chiefs' quality control coach at one point) and Reich connections with this hire.

Everything I've read about Sirianni has seemed very positive.

He did a lot with San Diego's WR corps, which isn't necessarily the most talented (especially when it is without Allen).

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

Sirianni was also interviewed for the HC position with the Colts:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/12/indianapolis-colts-news-interview-nick-sirianni-offensive-coordinator-job/

"The Indianapolis Colts reportedly put in a request Sunday night to interview Los Angeles Chargers wide receivers coach Nick Sirianni for their vacant head coach job and they were reportedly granted permission."

Ok....    I think we have some serious typos all over this post that should be corrected.

Siriannni was interviewed for the open OC spot and NOT the Head Coaching spot.

Let's get those two mistakes fixed please?

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Ok....    I think we have some serious typos all over thus pist that should be corrected.

Siriannni was interviewed for the open OC spot and NOT the Head Coaching spot.

Let's get those two mistakes fixed please?

I removed them from the original post almost immediately, as soon as I discovered that they were typos.

And, for the record, I was quoting the article directly.  So that particular mistake was not mine.  But I caught it anyway. :D

This is the article in question, which claims (by way of typo, perhaps?) Sirianni was also interviewed for the HC spot:

https://coltswire.usatoday.com/2018/02/12/indianapolis-colts-news-interview-nick-sirianni-offensive-coordinator-job/

Stephen Holder of the Indianapolis Star on Sirianni:

"Sirianni seems to be respected. The story later notes that he's a 'young coach who many at Chargers Park believe is poised to rise the NFL ranks.'"

More from Holder on Sirianni's background and pedigree:

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2018/02/12/nick-sirianni-colts-offensive-coordinator-here-5-things-know/328471002/

13 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

You have to trust those in charge when they make hires that their trying to get the Best guy for the job AND NOT A CASE of it's not what ypu know, it's who you know.

Wish Sirianni well.

I see what you did there in charge. Nick Sirianni was a Charger. haha

3 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

No to Bevell you want the guy that called a pass at the 1 yard line and cost his team a super bowl title cause he made that dumb decision.

What if the Pats committed to the run and it was caught for a TD or they handed it off and he was stuffed at the goal line if you were a DC for the Pats you would've been thinking Lynch can not beat us so lets stack the box and send 8 people committing to the run and that is what the Seahawks thought and they would catch the Pats off guard and make the smartest decision ever but instead Malcolm Butler made an amazing play. Simple but go ahead judge someone off one play. have a good day pal 

1 minute ago, lance_m8 said:

What if the Pats committed to the run and it was caught for a TD or they handed it off and he was stuffed at the goal line if you were a DC for the Pats you would've been thinking Lynch can not beat us so lets stack the box and send 8 people committing to the run and that is what the Seahawks thought and they would catch the Pats off guard and make the smartest decision ever but instead Malcolm Butler made an amazing play. Simple but go ahead judge someone off one play. have a good day pal 

They had two timeouts and 25 seconds left and it was first and goal also pats hadnt stopped lynch all night.

23 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

No to Bevell you want the guy that called a pass at the 1 yard line and cost his team a super bowl title cause he made that dumb decision.

Yes,  because nfl teams never throw it near the goal line.

16 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

They had two timeouts and 25 seconds left and it was first and goal also pats hadnt stopped lynch all night.

It was 2nd and goal, and if I remember correctly they had just stopped Lynch on first down.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

"Ok....    I think we have some serious typos all over thus pist that should be corrected"

How could you guys let this get by? haha

Is that the kind of "pist" in England that also means drunk?O.o

13 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Actually...   the Pats HAD stopped Lynch twice earlier in the game on third and short.

And the reason Seattle ran that play is because they had used it multiple times in the regular season and had not been stopped.

The Seahawks had been so successful with that pick play in the regular season that the Pats had picked up on it in film study.   They told their players that Seattle would run that play if they hit the chance.

And yet,  here's the rub...   the Pats couldn't stop it in practice all week in practice.   Not once.   And they practiced for it all week long leading up to the SB.   This is documented by the Pats own video in their SB film "Do your job."

But in the game, the Seahawks intended target didn't run the route flat enough allowing Butler to knife in and make the interception.   Poor execution.

I personally didnt like the call..  but history was on Seattle's side.  And the Pats predicted the play.   Props go to them.

1 hour ago, BOTT said:

It was 2nd and goal, and if I remember correctly they had just stopped Lynch on first down.

Regardless,  with a beast  like lynch the right call would have been punch it in. but for some reason maybe Seattle thought they would catch patriots off guard. but to do it inside was suicide. Outside fade in back of the in zone maybe that only your guy could catch or no one.  Hide sight  is the mother of invention.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Actually...   the Pats HAD stopped Lynch twice earlier in the game on third and short.

And the reason Seattle ran that play is because they had used it multiple times in the regular season and had not been stopped.

The Seahawks had been so successful with that pick play in the regular season that the Pats had picked up on it in film study.   They told their players that Seattle would run that play if they hit the chance.

And yet,  here's the rub...   the Pats couldn't stop it in practice all week in practice.   Not once.   And they practiced for it all week long leading up to the SB.   This is documented by the Pats own video in their SB film "Do your job."

But in the game, the Seahawks intended target didn't run the route flat enough allowing Butler to knife in and make the interception.   Poor execution.

I personally didnt line the call..  but history was on Seattle's side.  And the Pats predicted the play.   Props go to them.

It was a horrible throw. Look how high he threw it. You have to throw that really low and allow the Wr to drop down to the ground and catch that. It probably never got stopped because Tom knows how to throw a quick slant. It isn’t awful to throw on second down there even though I probably run it...NE was on their heels....but I hate throwing over the middle on the goal line...too many bad things can happen. Tip pass, under cut the route...wr bobble it up into the error...we saw Pitts make the same mistake. With a mobile qb if you want to throw them you use a run throw option for Wilson...that way if it’s covered he can try to run it in or throw it away. Anyways it was a bad call but it was poorly executed. I don’t judge him on one call...that’s like judging Bill on the 4th and 2 call...it happens...if you want to judge him on his entirety of his career that’s legit but just one play yeah I can’t do that.

12 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Regardless,  with a beast  like lynch the right call would have been punch it in. but for some reason maybe Seattle thought they would catch patriots off guard. but to do it inside was suicide. Outside fade in back of the in zone maybe that only your guy could catch or no one.  Hide sight  is the mother of invention.

They had small receivers...fade isn’t a good play for them...why they got Jimmy Graham...better off with a back shoulder throw to the pylon or some in then out to the sideline. Let’s be real...yeah you have to run that in...with Marshon or a boot for Russell...so many better options.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It was a horrible throw. Look how high he threw it. You have to throw that really low and allow the Wr to drop down to the ground and catch that. It probably never got stopped because Tom knows how to throw a quick slant. It isn’t awful to throw on second down there even though I probably run it...NE was on their heels....but I hate throwing over the middle on the goal line...too many bad things can happen. Tip pass, under cut the route...wr bobble it up into the error...we saw Pitts make the same mistake. With a mobile qb if you want to throw them you use a run throw option for Wilson...that way if it’s covered he can try to run it in or throw it away. Anyways it was a bad call but it was poorly executed. I don’t judge him on one call...that’s like judging Bill on the 4th and 2 call...it happens...if you want to judge him on his entirety of his career that’s legit but just one play yeah I can’t do that.

Nice post....   I've made that exact same argument myself...   roll Wilson right and give him multiple throwing options in front of him.   Or Wilson could try to run it in, or, if nothing, he can throw it away and stop the clock and have another shot.

But, as you noted, don't throw it through the teeth of the defense...    too many things can go wrong.   And they did.

Imagine being a Seattle fan and being that close to back to back titles?    Blown opportunity.   Agony.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

he got 4 yards on that first down, coming one short of the endzone

they had a time out too, there was no need to rush a throw over the middle

1 minute ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Think of all the super bowls  the patriots could have lost from last minute screw ups and it's mind boggling. and yes they lost super bowls the same way too. so i  guess it can go both ways

The difference between winning and losing is so fine...that is why Bill always preparing his players for big moments and all situations is so big. The lack of penalties and not blowing responsibilities etc is so key. It’s why their defensive failures this SB was so shocking.

3 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I’ll give it a chance but there’s a lot of firsts going on here... first time HC, DC, OC, first time coaching Dline in the NFL, etc... the only guy who has experience in his position is the Oline guy who I’m hoping they replace because he hasn’t been stellar at any of his stops...

Mike Phair was the Dline coach for the Bears when they had one of the top Dlines in the league with Henry Melton, Israel Adonije, and Julius Peppers. He's also been the Asst. DL coach with the Seahawks and Bucs (where he coached Gerald McCoy to one of his best seasons).

5 minutes ago, Shive said:

Mike Phair was the Dline coach for the Bears when they had one of the top Dlines in the league with Henry Melton, Israel Adonije, and Julius Peppers. He's also been the Asst. DL coach with the Seahawks and Bucs (where he coached Gerald McCoy to one of his best seasons).

Did nice work at Illinois too