Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Some Clarity, hopefully?

TheRustonRifle#7

As a man who has been through good times and dire ones, I can honestly tell you that things happen for a reason.  While at first those reasons seem irrational or unbelievable, in the long run they usually have a way of working themselves out. My hopes are that this, McFlake's waffle, will come to pass and be for the better.  As it may sound uber optimistic, it is what it is.  Indy WILL have a coach and a team, and God willing, one that will compete for the championship soon!  Feel free to be snarky and negative but it will only reinforce your true identity.  Go Colts!

As usual it put's in perspective what kind of organization the Patriots are. That's why they will never be a class act.

And the funny thing, is they think that the reason for their dislike is their success, but in reality, most of the distain is from their total lack of professionalism and ethics toward the rest of the league. 

Its not really about optimism or pessimism. Its about realism.  At this point what is the level of talent that is available to us and how can Ballard, with the help of Mr. Irsay, maximize it.  Like it or not, McDaniels set us back and took us out of the running for what was considered "top talent".  That hurts, no question.  I felt better after Ballard presser too, that's a talent of his, but the reality remains.  The colts won't be hiring any of Ballard's A list coaches.  It may work out, it may not, but we're looking for our top guys quite below Ballard initial ceiling.

3 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Its not really about optimism or pessimism. Its about realism.  At this point what is the level of talent that is available to us and how can Ballard, with the help of Mr. Irsay, maximize it.  Like it or not, McDaniels set us back and took us out of the running for what was considered "top talent".  That hurts, no question.  I felt better after Ballard presser too, that's a talent of his, but the reality remains.  The colts won't be hiring any of Ballard's A list coaches.  It may work out, it may not, but we're looking for our top guys quite below Ballard initial ceiling.

True, very true.  I think the one thing we have working in our favor is that the assistants that we hired all have a common goal: to prove that they're the right hire regardless of McD not being here.  If the HC can channel that drive, that energy correctly, AND if Ballard can get them the talent, I believe this coaching staff *can* overachieve and be better than what McD would have produced.

Maybe I'm using rose colored glasses, but I can hope, can't I?  It's not in my nature to be a Debbie Downer.  I like to look for the positives.  Good post, Ruston.

Even if McDaniels stayed and the Colts had gone with him, it would still be a jump into the unknown. It always is. So in terms of risk, nothing changed. The risk might've raised a bit, but whoever will come, that will still be jump in the unknown.

Btw, I was planning to write a looong post about my thoughs of hiring McDaniels, because, I had stoong mixed feelings to say the least. Things have changed dramatically and quickly, so it's not relevant, but hey. Why not.

So, when Manning went to Denver, I followed him there. Subsrcibed to the Broncos forums, etc., to be up to date what's happening with him. It didn't take long to run into the Denver side of their McDaniels story there. And the story was soo mind boggling, that I could not help, but kept reading and digging. And in the end, to my biggest surprise, I came to the conclusion that the guy interests me. He seemed like a hot stone in the fire, which burns your hand if you touch it, but it shines soo bright, that you just want to keep trying to get it. And you keep convince yourselves, that with the right method, you can grab it, cool it, and you end up with a diamond.

That's how I felt when I first heard that the Colts are interested in hiring McDaniels. I was excited but nervous. I wanted this to happen, but at the same time I was scared that it won't end well. Not just because those character issues, but the whole package. I knew the guy is possibly a brilliant play caller (he is, no point to deny it), but is he a good leader? Is he a good talent evaluator? Is he a good game manager? The way he treated people there in Denver was a big red flag, and I could not look over it. Then, I could not deal with the fact, that he, the offensive guru drafted Tebow. In the first round. And he traded UP to grab him. And so on, and so on. I don't want to write a novel here, so long in short, I had mixed feelings, and I know, that if he was the HC now, I'd be in alert mode. And I would've been in alert mode for quite long time.

So, ultimately, he helped me. His move made me close this chapter, and come up with my final verdikt on him. I think, in his own weird way, he is not a jerk. He behaves like a jerk, but he is not. He is rather an infant in a grown man's body. He is a child. He can't handle pressure. Every time he's been pressured, he felt bad. He wanted to run away of problems. That's what he did in Denver. Whenever he faced an issue, he felt urgency to get over it soon, so he can run back to his room, shut the door and play with his toys (offensive plans). And if a toy broke, he didn't have the patience to carefuly select the new one, he run in the shop, and took the closest one (Orton, Tebow). Or the most interestingly looking one.

But at home, he feels safe. That home is the Patriots organization for him. Namely, Belichick. The old man takes all pressures off of his shoulders, and let's him play his favourite game with his favourite toys. He doesn't even need to buy his new toys, papa will buy them for him. He feels safe there. And he can do what he likes there.

Here in Indy he felt the pressure again. And that made him feel uncertain. He wanted to try the new toy, but he was scared of it at the same time. He was uncertain deep inside. Then came papa, sat down with him, raised his voice and his eyebrows, and talked to him eye to eye. As father talks to his child. And he could not look back and say, "father i am walking my own path", because he's an infant. He rather shut himself up, and convinced himself that his best place is at home. And that's probably true.

So he stayed in Boston. Which is good for the Pats for the short term. They got their brilliant kid back. But in the long term, the Patriots will have to deail with the same isses what Denver had to deal with, and Indy would've had to deal with. Once papa will be no longer there, they will have an infant in house, with no control over him. They will need a new papa, who Josh will feel save behind. But who will be that new papa, who Josh will feel safe behind? Kraft is old. His son is a young buddy, not a pedestrian. Belichick will be gone.

All in all, I think in the long term, the Colts saved themselves from the trouble of dealing with an infant in house. They can hire a grown man instead. Will the hire the right one? That's still a task to do properly. But I think in the long term, it's easier to find the right man than nurse a child.

20 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

How do we know that the Colts won't be hiring any of Ballard's "A list" coaches? He made it clear today that after they interviewed McDaniels they thought that he was the direction they wanted to go. Although the next coach obviously won't be the first choice it doesn't mean it is going to be a second tier or scrub choice. Granted, some of the others that Ballard interviewed before have found other jobs but that doesn't mean they were who the Colts were looking for or who Ballard wanted. I really think we need to relax a little and let Ballard go back to his list which I'm sure was more than just McDaniels, Vrabel, Nagy, Wilks, Rhule, and Toub. If I were a betting man, I would say that Ballard's list has at least 15-20 possible head coaches on it. After hearing him speak this morning, I am supremely confident in our general manager and his ability to find the coach to lead us back to the top of the AFC South, the AFC, and the NFL. 

Just now, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

How do we know that the Colts won't be hiring any of Ballard's "A list" coaches? He made it clear today that after they interviewed McDaniels they thought that he was the direction they wanted to go. Although the next coach obviously won't be the first choice it doesn't mean it is going to be a second tier or scrub choice. Granted, some of the others that Ballard interviewed before have found other jobs but that doesn't mean they were who the Colts were looking for or who Ballard wanted. I really think we need to relax a little and let Ballard go back to his list which I'm sure was more than just McDaniels, Vrabel, Nagy, Wilks, Rhule, and Toub. If I were a betting man, I would say that Ballard's list has at least 15-20 possible head coaches on it. After hearing him speak this morning, I am supremely confident in our general manager and his ability to find the coach to lead us back to the top of the AFC South, the AFC, and the NFL. 

His top choices were interviewed initially.  Why would he hold off interviewing one of his A listers in case McDaniels dropped out.  This is a man that preaches competition at every level.  I take him at his word.  His first batch of interviews was, in his assessment, the top competitors.  By his own philosophy, the people he considered the best options have already passed through.

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

As a man who has been through good times and dire ones, I can honestly tell you that things happen for a reason.  While at first those reasons seem irrational or unbelievable, in the long run they usually have a way of working themselves out. My hopes are that this, McFlake's waffle, will come to pass and be for the better.  As it may sound uber optimistic, it is what it is.  Indy WILL have a coach and a team, and God willing, one that will compete for the championship soon!  Feel free to be snarky and negative but it will only reinforce your true identity.  Go Colts!

Well said.  Couldn’t agree more.  

7 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

His top choices were interviewed initially.  Why would he hold off interviewing one of his A listers in case McDaniels dropped out.  This is a man that preaches competition at every level.  I take him at his word.  His first batch of interviews was, in his assessment, the top competitors.  By his own philosophy, the people he considered the best options have already passed through.

He said in his press conference today that because of the NFL rules regarding coaches in the playoffs that he wasn't able to interview everyone he would have liked to simply because he couldn't get to everyone in the allotted time frame.  Frank Reich and Dan Campbell quite possibly could have been on his short list but because of wanting to interview McDaniels and the others he couldn't get to them. After they had interviewed McDaniels, they thought they had their man so there was no need to try and get permission to talk to the other potential coaches. We all know that whoever ends up the head coach wasn't the first pick. All I am saying is that just because they weren't the first choice it doesn't mean that Ballard and Irsay look at them as second rate. 

4 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

He said in his press conference today that because of the NFL rules regarding coaches in the playoffs that he wasn't able to interview everyone he would have liked to simply because he couldn't get to everyone in the allotted time frame.  Frank Reich and Dan Campbell quite possibly could have been on his short list but because of wanting to interview McDaniels and the others he couldn't get to them. After they had interviewed McDaniels, they thought they had their man so there was no need to try and get permission to talk to the other potential coaches. We all know that whoever ends up the head coach wasn't the first pick. All I am saying is that just because they weren't the first choice it doesn't mean that Ballard and Irsay look at them as second rate. 

I heard what he said.  Point is he allotted his time in accordance to his philosophy.  He found time for the Baylor kid.  Point is either you believe his competition mantra or you don't.  I believe him.  Its a seperate issue from his talent evaluation.  I trust he brought in his top choices the first time around.  If Reich was equal to McDaniels in his mind they would have interviewed toe to toe.  Can't gave both ways.  Not saying Reick isn't a good option, just saying that he had the same schedule as McD and didn't get a whiff until now. 

58 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

The thing about that is how do we know about what talent has already passed us by?  There is no way of knowing is there?  The so called smarter minds of football are very often dead wrong.

From what I understand is Ballard has been working on his list of coaches for a long time. We have no clue as to is on that list and why they are on that list. Just how do you know who is on Ballards A, B or C list?

To make a blanket statement just as you have is jumping to a conclusion that you, me nor anyone else knows.

1 minute ago, Sumo63 said:

I heard what he said.  Point is he allotted his time in accordance to his philosophy.  He found time for the Baylor kid.  Point is either you believe his competition mantra or you don't.  I believe him.  Its a seperate issue from his talent evaluation.  I trust he brought in his top choices the first time around.  If Reich was equal to McDaniels in his mind they would have interviewed toe to toe.  Can't gave both ways.  Not saying Reick isn't a good option, just saying that he had the same schedule as McD and didn't get a whiff until now. 

I could be wrong but when he said he said that he wasn't able to interview everyone he wanted (or something to that effect) I take him at his word. Just because someone was the first interview it doesn't mean they were necessarily the first choice. It means they were the first one that the Colts were able to arrange an interview with. I think that after the initial interviews that Ballard was impressed with Vrabel and McDaniels enough to think that one of those 2 men would be our next coach thus ending the need to interview an other candidates. I don't think competition had anything to do with it. He had interviewed 4 or 5 candidates and 2 impressed him enough to think that in those 2 men one of them would be his choice. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing about that is how do we know about what talent has already passed us by?  There is no way of knowing is there?  The so called smarter minds of football are very often dead wrong.

From what I understand is Ballard has been working on his list of coaches for a long time. We have no clue as to is on that list and why they are on that list. Just how do you know who is on Ballards A, B or C list?

To make a blanket statement just as you have is jumping to a conclusion that you, me nor anyone else knows.

Again, he preaches competition at every level,  if we are to believe him (and i do), it means he assembled HIS (not the) strongest candidates for the initial interviews.  Its not that big of a reach, I take him at his word.  His best candidates went toe to toe and McD won.  Not saying he can't find a good choice now but whoever it is and however it works out, dude wasnt in his top 3.  That's closer to fact than blanket statement (if you trust what Ballard says he does, and again, I do).

Polian was successful with 3 different teams and 3 different HCs.  If Ballard is as good as we hope he's going to be, he can be successful with a variety of coaches. Not just McD or Vrabel.  Give him time to build the roster and select a coach with the right system and we should be ok.  I don't think there's just 1 guy who can get us to a SB and nobody else. 

6 minutes ago, Sumo63 said:

Again, he preaches competition at every level,  if we are to believe him (and i do), it means he assembled HIS (not the) strongest candidates for the initial interviews.  Its not that big of a reach, I take him at his word.  His best candidates went toe to toe and McD won.  Not saying he can't find a good choice now but whoever it is and however it works out, dude wasnt in his top 3.  That's closer to fact than blanket statement (if you trust what Ballard says he does, and again, I do).

His word?? It sounds like you didn't even get the meaning of my comment.

Turning my comment into I am not taking him at his word is nonsense.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

His word?? It sounds like you didn't even get the meaning of my comment.

Turning my comment into I am not taking him at his word is nonsense.

I'm saying I believe him when he talks about competition. By that standard, in my mind, he lined up his best head coach candidates the first time around.  Nothing more.  I didn't turn your comment into anything. You're free to approach it from any angle you choose. I only speak for myself.

2 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Great post. Glad to give you a banner!  (I was your 10th reaction :) )

Someone made a good point earlier. Hiring coaches is always a crap shoot. New coaches can rarely be considered slam dunks to begin with, as most of those guys are already employed.

Now obviously the team and GM gotta do careful vetting and make sure they bring the right guy in, but we as fans can't really do much but support whoever it is they bring in.

So whether its Reich, Toub, Campbell, Defilipo or whoever, I'm gonna trust Ballards judgement as he calls the shots. Whoever the new coach of the Indianapolis Colts is will have my support.

Ballard is something else isn't he? He's got his work cut out for him, and quite frankly, was humiliated in front of the whole league by McDaniels and Kraft. Yet he's not shying away or backing down. He found a way in less than 24 hours after disaster to rally not only the front office, but the team, the fans, the franchise and the city. Now let's hope he's ready and able. Because (mostly) everyone's behind him.

Also, screw the Pats haha. Gotta keep getting those in.

I'm from Mexico and have been a colts' fan since 1977. This is my first comment on this forum.  I Think CB hit a home run this morning. After hearing his speech, I feel proud to be a colt. We may not have 5 rings but we are an organization that values integrity and honesty and that´s far more important. I´m sure rings will eventually come. 

Let's support our GM.!!

Regards from Mexico

We will never know if McDaniels was the right choice for Indy, so a moot point now. Who knows, we might just take this 'injustice' and use it a la New England and have a chip on the shoulder syndrome big enough to make it work in our favour. The start of that being Ballards presser yesterday. If you believe in that kind of thing.....

5 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Just to echo @NFLfan 's sentiments, it was nice to see you receive some much deserved recognition for your well written & enlightened post my friend. I was fuming when this change of heart happened because of Mr. McDaniel's lack of professionalism &, if he really had 2nd thoughts about working for our franchise; there is definitely a more dignified way to covey those feelings to Ballard who went to bat for you Josh. 

You're right to focus on bringing in somebody who is driven to win the right way & make Colts fans proud everywhere no matter where they may reside. Nice to see RR7 get his props indeed. :thmup:

I realize that the central theme of RR7's post was to find a silver lining out of this coaching hire that never transpired. I too see the value in remaining positive about this situation.

I won't lie to ya though. It bothers me when I hear other media outlets like FS1 say that a possible reason why Josh turned down INDYs offer was because a. Luck's shoulder may not be on the road to a full recovery [as in, the Colts organization might be withholding news that further clean up surgery may be required falsely implying that we are being intentionally devious on purpose] & b. Our owner Jim Irsay is odd, different, corky, & unstable. 

Both these absurd proclamations are classic deflection, bait & switch tactics. They are designed to take heat off of McDaniels for his actions under the misguided notion that the Colts organization is weak, dysfunctional, & dishonest if you can believe that level of projection with a straight face that is. We, in this distorted, alternative universe are supposed to believe that Josh is a genius for retreating back home to Massachusetts vs the reality of creating the flawed impression that he wanted to come here & then; essentially selling himself to the highest bidder. 

I just find this slamming of Jimmy very disturbing. He collects guitars. What's wrong with that? Nothing. He has struggled with alcohol & pain pill addiction. Again, so what? Those faults make me like him more. He's human not perfect. Me too. He spends money to bring in quality coaches, athletes, & pursue Championships year in year out. Who knew being driven to succeed consistently was such a travesty by media talking heads outside of INDY. Enough already. 

Sorry for my brief rant there. I just get sick & tired of the same old exaggerated lies about this high caliber franchise. Can't outside naysayers have the decency to at least devise fresh new fabrications about us? Yeah, I know. Originality even in a lie requires work & it's far easier to go with the traditional refrain of tired old cliches right? LOL! 

At any rate, Keep up the good work RR7! 

7 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

To be fair... the A list guys weren't all that exciting or impressive either. McDaniels included in that.  That said, it will be inheritly more difficult with even more pressure to get this right now more than ever. I just hope they don't go for a knee jerk reaction hire