Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich Expected to Interview

1959Colts

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You nor SW1 like Harbaugh, why I have no idea :dunno:

I'll tell you why. Because he burns out his welcome after 3 yrs because players start tuning his message out in the locker room & on the sidelines. He's too intense for his own good & he eventually becomes a joke or caricature of himself. I want a HC who can last in a city at least 8-10yrs. 

Jim knows football yes. The problem is his rhetoric gets stale really bleeping quick. 

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We lost 6 games by 7 points or less, what if Andrew Luck comes back 100%? Then we have something.

If I'm Defilippo, do I follow my buddy Frank to Indy and maybe get to coach Luck or do I stay in Philly and absolutely get to keep coaching Wentz with the coaching staff I know?

It's not to say our situation is terrible, but the Eagles situation would be way better for him.

2 minutes ago, Shive said:

If I'm Defilippo, do I follow my buddy Frank to Indy and maybe get to coach Luck or do I stay in Philly and absolutely get to keep coaching Wentz with the coaching staff I know?

It's not to say our situation is terrible, but the Eagles situation would be way better for him.

You stay in Philly. Doug P might even call plays for you again.

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I'll tell you why. Because he burns out his welcome after 3 yrs because players start tuning his message out in the locker room & on the sidelines. He's too intense for his own good & he eventually becomes a joke or caricature of himself. I want a HC who can last in a city at least 8-10yrs. 

Jim knows football yes. The problem is his rhetoric gets stale really bleeping quick. 

Don’t forget his connection to Tom Crean cuts a few years off his shelf life in Indy

19 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You nor SW1 like Harbaugh, why I have no idea :dunno:

You are mistaken. I like Harbaugh very much. I just think he is more suited for the college ranks. Any pro coach has to show the ability to get along with people above him. Jim has yet to show he can do that. He also has to treat pro players like men, not college players. 

1 hour ago, ThePowerslave said:

They had 1 de-commit.  Does that equal a "bunch"?

1 on NSD but more than that over the last few months. There’s also another guy who they were recruiting since 2015 who flipped on them, and they were the first team to offer him anything.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.landof10.com/michigan/michigan-recruiting-football-otis-reese-flip-georgia/amp

Basically Harbaugh isn’t a recruiting magnet.

4 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Friendly Reminder from TigerTown

Colts(any NFL Franchise) need a Character Guy and anyone who would leave for greener pastures the day after promising the world to 25+ guys has no character

Reminder

JMO

I gonna be honest with you PT. Before McDaniels left INDY high & dry, I was mesmerized by how Josh's offenses seemed to click like a well oiled machine & I wanted him to transfer that magic here. 

What I'm driving at here is this: I was so driven to win rings that character took a backseat in my estimation. I know better now. I only need to get burned once. I'll never make that mistake again. 

Translation: Don't get so drunk with dreams of Lombardi Glory that you forget a man's word is his bond. 

I'd cut Josh a little slack if he had informed our GM much earlier that he was having cold feet. He definitely showed me his true colors. Good riddance...

22 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Exactly. He’s got no history of sustained success. He hasn’t coached 5 years anywhere. He burns really bright but goes out quick. He’s already wearing out his welcome at Michigan where they keep losing to Ohio State and he can’t seem to win more than 7 games. He’s the definition of overrated.

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I gonna be honest with you PT. Before McDaniels left INDY high & dry, I was mesmerized by how Josh's offenses seemed to click like a well oiled machine & I wanted him to transfer that magic here. 

What I'm driving at here is this: I was so driven to win rings that character took a backseat in my estimation. I know better now. I only need to get burned once. I'll never make that mistake again. 

Translation: Don't get so drunk with dreams of Lombardi Glory that you forget a man's word is his bond. 

I'd cut Josh a little slack if he had informed our GM much earlier that he was having cold feet. He definitely showed me his true colors. Good riddance...

This is more to the college guys like UM and JH but also applies to McDaniels

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

You stated this very eloquently.  I've heard people talk about Harbaugh and even Gruden being good options because they have "fire in their belly," whatever that is supposed to mean.  Care for an antacid? ;)

Intensity, yelling at players and refs, and creating a spectacle doesn't make one a good coach.   Dungy commanded the respect of his players for years and never swore nor raised his voice at them. 

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

I like this post and I agree with all of it.

Rings are great but integrity is more important to me.  I'd rather root for an honest team than a dishonest one.

I had this discussion with a friend at work today.  Had McDaniels told Ballard, "I need to get through the playoffs before I will make a decision.  I'm worried about moving my family, uprooting from our friends, our church, and our kids' schools.   After the SB, I will sit down with my family and have an answer to you by 2/9/2018."

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You are mistaken. I like Harbaugh very much. I just think he is more suited for the college ranks. Any pro coach has to show the ability to get along with people above him. Jim has yet to show he can do that. He also has to treat pro players like men, not college players. 

Fair enough but on the Pro ranks he was one play away from winning the SB with Kaepernick and in his first season with SF took a crappy team with Alex Smith to the NFC Title Game and lost in OT.

42 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Fair enough but on the Pro ranks he was one play away from winning the SB with Kaepernick and in his first season with SF took a crappy team with Alex Smith to the NFC Title Game and lost in OT.

As well as one play away from taking the colts to a sb as a player.  

If he came to Indy and resurrected this team after the McDaniels debacle he’d have a statue next to Peyton 

46 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That team was very talented just needed a direction.  Not the same here.  Willis and Bowman were already there, Smith and Smith were already there and productive.  Frank Gore was there.  He instilled a mentality and gave direction.  He did a great job but don't get it twisted...there were some great players on that roster before he got there.

22 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

As well as one play away from taking the colts to a sb as a player.  

If he came to Indy and resurrected this team after the McDaniels debacle he’d have a statue next to Peyton 

But he is not leaving Michigan to coach the Colts.

Peyton got his statue more for what he did and is still doing for the city. Yes, he put the Colts on the NFL map but he was much more than a great QB for the Colts.

Just now, Corndog said:

Honestly, this is one of our better options Reich is at least worth an interview.   Certainly a little risky though, since he has never been a head coach. 

Every hire is a risk. The changing of the guard is happening in the NFL and the days of hiring re runs of old coaches is slowly coming to an end. The NFL game has changed so much over the last few years and now the idea that there is a certain mold for head coaches is out the window.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All this is true but ignoring things like his inability to get along with people over him and treating grown men like college kids can't be overlooked.  JIm just doesn't play well with others unless he is in control.

8 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Every hire is a risk. The changing of the guard is happening in the NFL and the days of hiring re runs of old coaches is slowly coming to an end. The NFL game has changed so much over the last few years and now the idea that there is a certain mold for head coaches is out the window.

I agree and I certainly don't the retread coach hires, because most left for a reason.  Just saying, not a sure thing, but to me he seems like the best candidate being interviewed of the three.  

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

All this is true but ignoring things like his inability to get along with people over him and treating grown men like college kids can't be overlooked.  JIm just doesn't play well with others unless he is in control.

He would be in control if it were me along with Ballard - here you go Jim sign my blank check so in 3 years we are 14-2 and in the SB :thmup:

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

But he is not leaving Michigan to coach the Colts.

Peyton got his statue more for what he did and is still doing for the city. Yes, he put the Colts on the NFL map but he was much more than a great QB for the Colts.

As much as I would love to get Harbaugh, this is the truth, he's not leaving Michigan anytime soon.  IMO, he's a very good coach and I would love to have him, but it's getting old and it's time to let the Harbaugh talk die.  

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He would be in control if it were me along with Ballard - here you go Jim sign my blank check so in 3 years we are 14-2 and in the SB :thmup:

Maybe so but I just don't see Ballard giving up any control. I highly doubt Irsay would want him to anyway.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It wasn't a crappy team.

Best off-ball LB duo in the league (Bowman/Willis)

One of the best interior lineman in Justin Smith and another good one in Ray McDonald

Very good edge duo in Aldon Smith and Ahmad Brooks

And very good secondary in Carlos Rogers, Tarell Brown and Donte Whitner.

Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis and Frank Gore is pretty good trio at WR, TE and RB. Heck, Delanie Walker was his TE2.

He had an offensive line were Anthony Davis was the 4th best player. And he was top 5-10 RT in his prime.

Some of them just arrived the year Harbaugh came there (Whitner, Aldon Smith, Rogers), some were ready to take next step as they were on their 2nd years (Bowman, Iupati, Anthony Davis), some were studs before he arrived (Justin Smith, Willis, Vernon Davis) and many of the rest had never received good coaching in their careers.

Harbaugh is a good coach but he had great rosters with the 49ers. He could be great at developing NFL caliber talent but not that good that he would be able to make average players in to Pro Bowl caliber players.. Which is what he had at almost every position on those 11-13 49ers. They probably had the most talent in the NFL this decade of all teams to not win the SB.

1 hour ago, Dilger85 said:

That team was very talented just needed a direction.  Not the same here.  Willis and Bowman were already there, Smith and Smith were already there and productive.  Frank Gore was there.  He instilled a mentality and gave direction.  He did a great job but don't get it twisted...there were some great players on that roster before he got there.

Nothing to get twisted..... I don't care if you have Joe Montana and Jerry Rice in their prime, an overall record of 44-19-1 in the regular season, and 5-3 in the playoffs as a head coach is not the result of just providing a little direction.....  the 49er record over the same amount of time directly prior to Harbaugh, with many of those same players?  26-38 regular season, never better than 8-8, no playoff appearances..... the 3 seasons seasons after Harbaugh?   5-11, 2-14, 6-10....  Harbs worst season was his last, at 8-8.....  that's not just a little guidance..... He's a great coach at the NFL level.    

That said, he isn't being hired by the Colts....