Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Dungy's response

csmopar

3 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

That's the thing, even though those guys get to keep their jobs for now, their jobs past this next season are a huge question mark.  Whoever the next head coach is may work with them for this season but after that he might want to start assembling his own staff.  Then those guys get canned.  

Maybe not. If they do a good job there would be no reason to replace them. They evidently were good at their jobs or they wouldn't have been ask to come here in the first place.

Let's give them a chance, Ballard is.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe not. If they do a good job there would be no reason to replace them. They evidently were good at their jobs or they wouldn't have been ask to come here in the first place.

Let's give them a chance, Ballard is.

After this season giving them a chance will be entirely up to the new HC.  Another issue is if his personality meshes with those guys personalities.

That's why when Head Coaches form a staff they primarily get guys they know.  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

After this season giving them a chance will be entirely up to the new HC.  Another issue is if his personality meshes with those guys personalities.

Maybe not on a personal level but most of these OCs and coordinators know each other just like the head coaches know each other.

I agree after the first year if things weren't going the direction the head coach wants then things should change.

If you re read my comment I said give them a chance, Ballard did. No where did I say they were hired permanently.

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

Assistant coaches are up for review even if the HC originally hired them. So, nothing different there.

On February 7, 2018 at 1:20 PM, -JJ- said:

ahh just private me and tell me how you really feel :)

You know what really bothers me JJ. I can recognize genius in other people whether it revolves around creating unstoppable formations, cap space manipulation, restocking draft talent yr after yr, or convincing highly respected coaching members to stay & not leave. However, it really bothers me how so many Patriots fans can justify anything as long as they remain playoff competitive. Have they no standards of decency? Serious question...I am so bleeping fed up with all these darn fools who try to be cute or use any excuse to take the heat off of Josh for being so unprofessional. It disgusts me. It truly does. 

Did you listen to Colin Coherd today? First, the host goes on this rant about wanting to keep his kids in school not disrupting their lives. Then, he downshifts into a happy wife a happy life rhetoric. Eventually, he talks about Luck's shoulder & implies that the Colts organization might have withheld information about Andrew's true health. And finally, he says what's wrong with taking the best offer with the most money that Kraft sweetened the pot with. You wanna know what wrong with this entire line of reasoning? It completely absolves Josh of any responsibility & in effect uses his children, his wife, Deflate Gate venom, & his boss of the Pats as a human shield. It just does. Jesus Christ can NE take responsibility for anything?! Have they no scruples at all? 

I have defended BB, TB12, Robert Kraft, & that organization for a very long time & it astounds me that so many followers of that fanbase can make up any excuse for activities that are questionable at best. 

Don't get cute me with me JJ. Not after the way McDaniels conducted himself this week. I'm not in the mood. 

I have nothing against you personally. You're a standup guy JJ. Just please don't get cute. 

19 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Did you listen to Colin Coherd today? First, the host goes on this rant about wanting to keep his kids in school not disrupting their lives. Then, he downshifts into a happy wife a happy life rhetoric. Eventually, he talks about Luck's shoulder & implies that the Colts organization might have withheld information about Andrew's true health. And finally, he says what's wrong with taking the best offer with the most money that Kraft sweetened the pot with. You wanna know what wrong with this entire line of reasoning? It completely absolves Josh of any responsibility & in effect uses his children, his wife, Deflate Gate venom, & his boss of the Pats as a human shield. It just does. Jesus Christ can NE take responsibility for anything?! Have they no scruples at all? 

Cowherd's point of view is based upon his love for intellect and belief that money is the ultimate motivator.  Not to get OT, but its sort of like atheism where satisfaction of soul and spirit take a back seat to the best cold-hearted logical argument you can make. 

He sees everything through that prism, and is actually proud of it because he thinks it makes him sound smart.

He sees pure winning as the ultimate goal, but fails to realize its just a game designed for entertaining the spirit, where rallying around your likable soldiers performing well in battle is what gets people energized and makes the NFL a watchable product. 

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Cowherd's point of view is based upon his love for intellect and belief that money is the ultimate motivator.  Not to get OT, but its sort of like atheism where satisfaction of soul and spirit take a back seat to the best cold-hearted logical argument you can make. 

He sees everything through that prism, and is actually proud of it because he thinks it makes him sound smart.

He sees pure winning as the ultimate goal, but fails to realize its just a game designed for entertaining the spirit, where rallying around your likable soldiers performing well in battle is what gets people energized and makes the NFL a watchable product. 

You do make a good point DD. Cowherd uses efficiency, money, & consistency as his bedrock principles of success. In addition, he also likes predictable, streamlined results that you can set your watch too. In other words, he likes boring systems that work always without fail like Amazon Prime for movies that are almost fool proof. You always know what you will get without any surprises or hiccups. 

Here's the funny thing though. While he will acknowledge that our GM & fans have a right to be upset, he doesn't seem to grasp that it's not always about doing what's best for the individual after you have made a commitment to another organization. It's beyond a checkbook or perks issue especially after INDY went through all that legwork & preparation to welcome Josh to the Hoosier State. Ironically enough, Colin mentioned how when he agreed to go to FS1 his old boss at ESPN tried to lure him back to Connecticut with an aggressive sales pitch to stay. However, he told his old employer that he couldn't do that after he had already given FS1 executives his word that he was moving to Fox & that he honors his personal commitments either spoken or written. And yet, Colin continued to use every excuse to almost pardon Josh's behavior simply because it was best for his family financially. 

Look, I know the Patriots & Brady are Cowherd's favorite NFL franchise & that a person can say on the air I'd never do it, but what's the crime in taking the best deal for your own self interest? Here's the problem though: It's like being engaged to your girlfriend & then sleeping with another woman with your wedding tomorrow where you promise to always be faithful & truthful to your spouse. I can't rationale bad behavior simply because a liked coordinator is returning to your favorite football team. I can accept biases just not blind devotion on steroids whereby any person on the Pats is deemed beyond criticism, above reproach, & untouchable from any scrutiny whatsoever. 

Thanks for your feedback DD. :thmup: 

5 hours ago, southwest1 said:

You know what really bothers me JJ. I can recognize genius in other people whether it revolves around creating unstoppable formations, cap space manipulation, restocking draft talent yr after yr, or convincing highly respected coaching members to stay & not leave. However, it really bothers me how so many Patriots fans can justify anything as long as they remain playoff competitive. Have they no standards of decency? Serious question...I am so bleeping fed up with all these darn fools who try to be cute or use any excuse to take the heat off of Josh for being so unprofessional. It disgusts me. It truly does. 

I have defended BB, TB12, Robert Kraft, & that organization for a very long time & it astounds me that so many followers of that fanbase can make up any excuse for activities that are questionable at best. 

Don't get cute me with me JJ. Not after the way McDaniels conducted himself this week. I'm not in the mood. 

I have nothing against you personally. You're a standup guy JJ. Just please don't get cute. 

Great post SW.His excuses are lame.Really,using wife and kids as an excuse.Shouldn't he have discussed that with them before hand.If he had declined the first interview with that excuse I could understand.There is no excuse for the way he handled this.If he wasn't totally sure he wanted to move on and be a head coach again,he never should have interviewed in the first place.The Colts took his word in good faith.

39 minutes ago, Robert Johnson said:

Great post SW.His excuses are lame.Really,using wife and kids as an excuse.Shouldn't he have discussed that with them before hand.If he had declined the first interview with that excuse I could understand.There is no excuse for the way he handled this.If he wasn't totally sure he wanted to move on and be a head coach again,he never should have interviewed in the first place.The Colts took his word in good faith.

Thanks Robert. I appreciate it. Yep, INDY did take Josh at his word & then he symbolically spit in our faces. Okay, the saliva thing never happened & I'm engaging in artistic license to convey my wrath over what McDaniels did. And then so many Pats fans go into their rationalization mode: You know the nonsense that we're jealous of their 5 rings, technically Josh never signed an official contract with the Colts, we are just being spoiled brats like if the shoe was on the other foot & an INDY coordinator left Boston hanging in the wind they'd be cool with it. Yeah right. 

You know, for years I heard about the Patriot Way, all Foxboro athletes are subject to criticism by their staff, & the "Do Your Job" standard of excellence. Are there any ethical standards though? That's the question. Josh learned that football behavior from somebody right? And where has he been coaching in the league the longest? Hmmm...Not a mystery there. Just saying. 

I can admit somebody is smart & devious at the same time. I don't know who I'm more mad at? Josh for backing out at the last second or NE enthusiasts like Colin Cowherd who enable the nonstop excuse fest to erase McDaniels boneheaded move to return to Boston. This isn't about loving the city, the players, the head coach, or the owner...Or even money. It's about taking the easy way out. The comfortable way out. I won't go with any conspiracy theories here. Just that some men like to prove themselves starting over in a new place & some men want the path of least resistance with a head coach close to retirement & a HOF QB who does all the heavy lifting making any OC look fantastic. 

Uh huh. You don't wait until the eve of the introductory press conference in INDY & go crap I can't do this. What a childlike move. If I hear Cowherd say one more time that a 40 yr old man got cold feet, I'm gonna smash something. He's 40 NOT 14. Jesus. I liked when Ballard didn't wanna hear Josh's explanation. "Are you in or are you out?" Translation: Be a man not a baby please. We all know what you are Josh & what you are full of too. 

It really is pretty simple, and all of us do it when we think of moving from one job for another. That includes family discussions where relevant, options of staying, and weighing up any counter offers, and of course, commiting to the process once engaged with another employer. 

I will not call this guy names, but he clearly did not go about this in the right way. No excuses. But I really do want to see him fail. Safe in the knowledge that he will not slide into poverty and cause his family any suffering. 

And who knows, maybe he will learn from it, one way or another.

Onwards and upwards, Indianapolis.

3 hours ago, Robert Johnson said:

Shouldn't he have discussed that with them before hand.If he had declined the first interview with that excuse I could understand.There is no excuse for the way he handled this.If he wasn't totally sure he wanted to move on and be a head coach again,he never should have interviewed in the first place.

What's even crazier is he conducted not one, but TWO interviews. From what I've read, it was McDaniels who was pursuing a head coaching job in the first place! At the end of the day, he gave up a guaranteed head coaching opportunity in favor of an OC role for an empty promise the Pats made to him! It's simply unreal how stupid that guy is.

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 7:33 PM, southwest1 said:

Cute?  Ah you must be referring to my conversation with Jaric. We've known each other for a lot of years and kid each other often. His old avatar was Yoda...hence the reference.

All the melodrama aside - good thing in this country is you are allowed to change your mind.

Long term contract does bode well to stay with keeping kids in school since coaching can be short lived. But it does not matter- he can do what he wants just as I can.

7 minutes ago, -JJ- said:

Cute?  Ah you must be referring to my conversation with Jaric. We've known each other for a lot of years and kid each other often. His old avatar was Yoda...hence the reference.

All the melodrama aside - good thing in this country is you are allowed to change your mind.

Long term contract does bode well to stay with keeping kids in school since coaching can be short lived. But it does not matter- he can do what he wants just as I can.

I don't think anyone is questioning that.  He was well within his "rights" do back out of the deal.   That doesn't make what he did any less despicable.

2 hours ago, -JJ- said:

Yeah, you're right we're friends & I'm not really mad at you. It's more the fall back position a number of Patriots fans have about whatever this team does like the ends justifies the means 24/7. It's so much more than Josh changing his mind. It's not about more money from Kraft or even returning to a locker room who knows him best. It's the way in which McDaniels told INDY no thank you.

He, at a bare minimum, made a verbal commitment to our GM & owner that he was coming to the Colts. You can't tell me that Josh didn't have plenty of time in the interview process to say to Ballard you know, I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about making this move. It's got nothing to do with the quality of your franchise & I feel horrible about all the money & time you invested in as the next coach in line at INDY. It's not you; it's me. 

Like Jason said so well below, people change their minds all the time. That's a given & beside the bleeping point. The issue is this: The manner in which JM scorched the earth behind him & completely screwed the pooch by not informing Ballard, Irsay, or any top front office personnel that he was getting cold feet. 

Nobody cares about freedom of choice in this case. It's irrelevant & just an excuse to deflect blame. A lot of Patriot fans have no clue why INDY fans are so furious. Some of it revolves around disappointment, but the bulk of it revolves around a gross lack of professionalism & giving your word & then backing out. You just don't do that. At a certain point in the hiring process, you reach the point of no return. Josh doesn't grasp that unfortunately. 

One of the issues here is that integrity seems to be gone or disappearing all over this country.  Maybe I am wrong and I just think we used be a country of integrity.  But there are so many people on that twitter feed - and some in this post - that think what Josh did was fine.

Some people still think a handshake on a deal means something.  Or the idea that "my word is my bond".  We have become so accustomed to people being so extraordinarily selfish that they are OK with this behavior - as long as it doesn't negatively impact them.

Sad. 

17 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Or the idea that "my word is my bond".  We have become so accustomed to people being so extraordinarily selfish that they are OK with this behavior - as long as it doesn't negatively impact them.

Bingo! Self gratification on steroids where you say forget the consequences as long as I feel great & end up at the perfect spot for me. Cause that's all that matters--me. 

I agree 100% gspdx. 

19 hours ago, gspdx said:

One of the issues here is that integrity seems to be gone or disappearing all over this country.  Maybe I am wrong and I just think we used be a country of integrity.  But there are so many people on that twitter feed - and some in this post - that think what Josh did was fine.

Some people still think a handshake on a deal means something.  Or the idea that "my word is my bond".  We have become so accustomed to people being so extraordinarily selfish that they are OK with this behavior - as long as it doesn't negatively impact them.

Sad. 

“Preach” Brother!

There seems to be a lot of this “do what I want” attitude going around. What a joke. Never mind the the three assistant coaches that thought they would be working for Mcloser only to have the rug pulled out from underneath them, not to mention the Colts being bound by their contracts. I hate this “all about me” mentality that seems to be the norm nowadays. Disgusting.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, gspdx said:

Sad. 

That's old school. Yeah I miss it too but...

I took on large construction projects on a handshake years ago.

Employers kept their employees almost forever. Today no longer. Employers are not loyal to their employees so how can you expect employees to be loyal.  I've seen employees accept another job for better pay and then say no when the former employer not only matches but exceeds the salary. Happens more often than you might think. 

Some even do it as a ploy or a bluff.

8 hours ago, -JJ- said:

Employers kept their employees almost forever. Today no longer. Employers are not loyal to their employees so how can you expect employees to be loyal.  I've seen employees accept another job for better pay and then say no when the former employer not only matches but exceeds the salary. Happens more often than you might think. 

Dungys 100% correct. He should've never involved the other coaches unless he new he was all in. 

Your theory doesn't match what this weasel did.  I work in the construction business and like you explained the Employers nor the Employees have full loyalties to each other now days.

I have left jobs for better pay , less travel, better location. I have even taken another job and my current job offered better incentives for me to stay so i stayed. Now in saying that my family and myself is who i based my decision on because on my side thats all that was involved. Had i had a crew of men or women changing jobs to join me I would've never elected to stay at my current position and hung them out to dry. There is no excuse for what he done its selfish ,classless, and disrespectful to the fullest.  Who cares about what he done to the Employer the Colts franchise will continue on!

On 2/14/2018 at 12:32 PM, -JJ- said:

But do they take others along for the ride with them.  You have been here a long time and are pretty level headed.  I am sure if you heard of a situation where others were lead to believe someone was going to a new job and they made career decisions based on that belief, and then that someone changed their mind and left these people high and dry you would doubt that persons integrity for a long time.

That's the biggest issue here.  Sure, he kind of took the Colts for a ride, but he also stiffed a bunch of guys who were showing loyalty to him personally.  That's about a low as you can go.

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:51 PM, gspdx said:

But do they take others along for the ride with them.  You have been here a long time and are pretty level headed.  I am sure if you heard of a situation where others were lead to believe someone was going to a new job and they made career decisions based on that belief, and then that someone changed their mind and left these people high and dry you would doubt that persons integrity for a long time.

That's the biggest issue here.  Sure, he kind of took the Colts for a ride, but he also stiffed a bunch of guys who were showing loyalty to him personally.  That's about a low as you can go.

I get what you say. All I was saying is employees have changed their mind to stay for better pay.

Football is weird because there is no job security. So Josh got more money as OC than he would have as HC with the Colts and a long term contract. What would you do?

I'm in upper construction management and there are similarities to football in that people move around a lot.

Even I was making a job change but the new employer needed time to pull the plug ( 6 months). I committed but what if my current employer offered a lot more to stay what should I do?

Turned out that didn't happen and I moved to the new employer.

If Josh is a snake what is BB. He actually had a press conference with the Jets then jumped to NE. Jaric said Josh is no BB but what water does that hold. Same difference. Now if one wants to call BB a snake also then that's cool but you want to be consistent.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I did take it in :)

On 2/12/2018 at 6:43 PM, gspdx said:

Sad. 

Quoted For Truth. Was talking on this subject with my wife a couple of days ago. We’ve sadly taken on an attitude in this country that everything(I.e. relationships/handshake meaning something) is disposable and lacks meaning. It’s all about self-gratification now. 

16 hours ago, -JJ- said:

I get what you say. All I was saying is employees have changed their mind to stay for better pay.

Football is weird because there is no job security. So Josh got more money as OC than he would have as HC with the Colts and a long term contract. What would you do?

I'm in upper construction management and there are similarities to football in that people move around a lot.

Even I was making a job change but the new employer needed time to pull the plug ( 6 months). I committed but what if my current employer offered a lot more to stay what should I do?

If Josh is a snake what is BB. He actually had a press conference with the Jets then jumped to NE. Jaric said Josh is no BB but what water does that hold. Same difference. Now if one wants to call BB a snake also then that's cool but you want to be consistent.

Since you asked, you should stick with your commitment.  Let your yes be a yes.

On 2/17/2018 at 3:16 PM, -JJ- said:

I know you are reasonable.  Maybe they are both snakes.  I see the big difference here is Josh threw the guys under the bus that committed to jobs in Indy because of him.  I think he should have stuck with them.

And I did have a similar experience.  I accepted a new job in the company I worked for and it also required a move.  Just before I began moving my current boss offered me a job we had talked about earlier in the year with a promotion to stay.  I said I had already committed to the other group.