Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tony Dungy's response

csmopar

That’s as mad as Tony Dungy gets and he’s right.  It’s one thing to back out like McDaniels did that’s bad enough.  It’s another to do it after you’ve offered guys jobs and they have accepted or were waiting because you told them too and now they will have a hard time finding work (minus the ones who signed contracts and the Colts are doing right by no matter how awkward it might be and might hurt the Colts in finding a coach).  It’s whole other level of being a snake when you won’t even call those people and tell them what’s going on and they have to find out like the rest of us.

Josh McDaniels has shown just how much of a snake he is through this whole process.  He’s had chances to make this less bad since he backed out but he’s made the wrong choice at every turn since then.  Good luck coaching in the NFL again outside of New England and good luck building a staff in New England with the way he has handled this.

Good for Dungy.  I know he has no interest but I wish he was still involved with the team somehow.  The Colts were better by just having him around the shoe. 

5 minutes ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Just read his tweet. Also the reaction in national media. JMD has to excel with Pats or it will be hard for him to find another gig in the NFL.

It's likely that his new deal with the Pats gives him financial security.  And the NFL will/has sold it's soul many times.  Just look at Ray Lewis.

2 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Tony Dungy is as good as they come. Good for him for speaking the truth. It bothers me the McDaniels backed out of the job, but it bothers me more what he did to the other coaches. Thank you Coach Dungy for saying what the majority of us are saying and feeling right now! 

I agree, what he did to the coaches that he had convinced to come here and sign contracts is just wrong.  Then he didn't even have the decency to call them right after he met with Kraft.

2 hours ago, HungarianColtsFan said:

Just read his tweet. Also the reaction in national media. JMD has to excel with Pats or it will be hard for him to find another gig in the NFL.

McDaniels actions show he hasn’t grown enough to be a trustworthy HC. I’m glad he revealed it before getting here, we don’t need another suspect head coach

14 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

I loved the tweet, and couldn't agree more, but some of the comments people left for him really p'd me off!

Had to stop reading the hate-filled, Faith-bashing manner that was spewed like venom @ Coach. He spoke the truth, but that’s supposed to take a backseat to “Political Correctness”. I’ve never been one to push my beliefs/faith on others, but i’m sick of hearing people being mocked for it. 

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

He has every right to be upset. He vouched for McDaniels to Irsay, that's gotta' irk him.

I hadn't thought about that and I appreciate you bringing it up.  It may seem corny, but I spoke with my son about the importance of one's word.  If he hadn't affected others in this, there would be no problems.  One of the assistant coaches has already moved here, thinking that he would be working with McDaniels.  He may find that a new coach will not want to work with him.  Now what? 

I miss Dungy.  Heck, Caldwell and Pagano were at least honest men. 

35 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I hadn't thought about that and I appreciate you bringing it up.  It may seem corny, but I spoke with my son about the importance of one's word.  If he hadn't affected others in this, there would be no problems.  One of the assistant coaches has already moved here, thinking that he would be working with McDaniels.  He may find that a new coach will not want to work with him.  Now what? 

I miss Dungy.  Heck, Caldwell and Pagano were at least honest men. 

That's the thing, even though those guys get to keep their jobs for now, their jobs past this next season are a huge question mark.  Whoever the next head coach is may work with them for this season but after that he might want to start assembling his own staff.  Then those guys get canned.  

1 minute ago, Jaric said:

I think I was a fool to have ever believed the Patriots organization was anything other than what they appeared to be.

Amen.  Not the part about you being a fool,  Amen to seeing them for what they are, and always have been.  

If McDaniels is willing to betray our team , break his word openly, and utterly betray other coaches who were supporting him , just for a few extra dollars in his Patriots contract , then it is good that we found it out now. After all, imagine how much damage could have been done to our team by a head coach who is totally without honor and is totally willing to do Anything for money ?!

9 minutes ago, egg said:

It worked for Opie. Maybe your son will become a successful film director?.......

Not really pertinent to the topic as we aren't talking about Andy Dalton, but the Andy Griffith Show is a great show. 

Josh McDaniel's is the spoiled kid who threw tantrums after Sheriff Taylor confiscated his bicycle.