Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Many Colts fans agree with this?

Indeee

Personally, this was never about JOSH MCDANIELS to me. Never about Josh McDaniels the person, or Josh McDaniels the ex head coach getting a second chance or Josh Mcdaniels success with the Pats. This was ALL about the scheme Josh McDaniels runs. The scheme that would allow the Colts more stability and flexibility around glaring issues of O-Line and play development that we as fans have suffered through ever since Moore/Peyton left.

This is why I'm upset!! For years I have wanted the Patriot scheme in Indy or at very least something really close to it and I still do and that should be the Colts Organization and colts fans main objective moving forward. Find a guy with the correct scheme!!

So forget the Josh McDaniels stuff and what everyone else says about what has happened. 

The Colts need to find a guy with the scheme and if that's Reich or DeFilippio or even Toub with a potential coordinator that runs a similar scheme, then our Colts will be fine.

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

This is why I'm upset!! For years I have wanted the Patriot scheme in Indy or at very least something really close to it and I still do and that should be the Colts Organization and colts fans main objective moving forward. Find a guy with the correct scheme!!

I am not upset that our coach will not be McDaniels.

I am upset that out team cannot escape such dysfunction. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Its more than just the scheme.  Did we want it, sure maybe.  But regardless of what anyone thinks of McDaniels, this action literally sets the Colts back YEARS beyond just 2018. 

I'm going to disagree with you respectfully. How does it set us back?

We will still have a top 3 pick, a GREAT up and coming DC, a young team full of potential and hopefully our Franchise QB back fully healthy.

Does it look bad at moment? Sure, but the scheme is 100% important

Its more than just the scheme.  Did we want it, sure maybe.  But regardless of what anyone thinks of McDaniels, this action literally sets the Colts back YEARS beyond just 2018. 

“Years” is a bit dramatic.   There are plenty of good candidates and Ballard will make sure that protecting Luck is their #1 priority.   

It is is going to be odd forcing assistants on a new HC instead of letting him pick his.  But they’re all professionals and are used to adapting. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Completely disagree and not sure why you think this sets us back so much.  We hire another coach within the week and if it is an up-and-comer like Reich then we are getting someone with a fresh start.  We need to have a great offensive mind in here to help change the scheme we are use to.  Eberflus can still have a positive impact on the D.  Plenty of time to get the right guy in here.

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

We will still have a top 3 pick, a GREAT up and coming DC, a young team full of potential and hopefully our Franchise QB back fully healthy.

I'm saying potentially.  They're now stuck with 3rd tier candidates at the best.  What coach is gonna want to come here under these conditions now? How long do they get a contract for? Even if they do manage to hire someone, they're what, 6-8 weeks behind in the search now? And lets say that coach flames out? 

8 minutes ago, Indeee said:

the good coaches are taken by now, this is a set back imo

I'm saying potentially.  They're now stuck with 3rd tier candidates at the best.  What coach is gonna want to come here under these conditions now? How long do they get a contract for? Even if they do manage to hire someone, they're what, 6-8 weeks behind in the search now? And lets say that coach flames out? 

All that is fair and every colts fan, football fan, football player, etc.. will feel the same way, however no one can be sure how any of it will end up. The unknown was hard right after pags release, then we all thought we had some of that figured out and now this. point is, it has to play out and right now we should be hoping for a scheme that makes sense where our team deficiencies lie. That's what I'm saying. I thought the hire was great based on scheme that we needed compared to what we had. 

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Lol who in their right mind wouldn't take a HC job in the NFL? Relax dude. We aren't going to get turned down because they weren't our "first choice". You act like people only want the job if we went to them first. It's not sloppy seconds. Ballard has a list of guys. I'm sure he will get someone he wants. 

In the case of Mcdaniels you have someone without integrity and of low character. Why would you want that guy over "our third choice"?

7 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Lol who in their right mind wouldn't take a HC job in the NFL? Relax dude. We aren't going to get turned down because they weren't our "first choice". You act like people only want the job if we went to them first. It's not sloppy seconds. Ballard has a list of guys. I'm sure he will get someone he wants. 

In the case of Mcdaniels you have someone without integrity and of low character. Why would you want that guy over "our third choice"?

I wouldnt.  For the record, I was not on the McDaniels bandwagon, matter of fact I stated many times I wasn't impressed with any of the guys we interviewed and was simply gonna support whomever Ballard hired.  That said, this was a kick in the groin of the Colts.  

What I'm saying is, this creates a very unstable environment in Indy.  You have assistant coaches under contract at the orders of McDaniels, these guys may or may not want to coach under anyone else and they may or may not want to work with whomever the Colts bring in.  On top of that, what head coach wants to have his assistants forced on him?  My guess is that the Colts hire a new head coach and then if he doesnt like any of them, the colts end up buying out those guys' contracts.  Costing Jim a ton of money for nada.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I wouldnt.  For the record, I was not on the McDaniels bandwagon, matter of fact I stated many times I wasn't impressed with any of the guys we interviewed and was simply gonna support whomever Ballard hired.  That said, this was a kick in the groin of the Colts.  

What I'm saying is, this creates a very unstable environment in Indy.  You have assistant coaches under contract at the orders of McDaniels, these guys may or may not want to coach under anyone else and they may or may not want to work with whomever the Colts bring in.  On top of that, what head coach wants to have his assistants forced on him?  My guess is that the Colts hire a new head coach and then if he doesnt like any of them, the colts end up buying out those guys' contracts.  Costing Jim a ton of money for nada.

I just take it as a method of the enemy to set out schedule back. Yeah, it annoys me and gets under my skin, but according the sources Ballard expects this possibility, and has names lined up. I trust whomever Ballard chooses tbh, will be the best man for the job. Granted his judge of character might not be on par, considering mcdick decided to screw over so many families. 

But the odds of finding an amazing HC are slim anyways. You just don't get those guys very often, and I don't believe mcdick was one of those. 

We have a ton of cap space, and the third overall pick. I honestly think Indy is still in a good position, and is a coveted place to be. Let's see how things shake out. If we had Luck last year, all of a sudden pagano doesn't looks that bad. 

6 minutes ago, Doyle84 said:

I'm frustrated at how everything was agreed upon (verbally or not) and the coordinators were hired to fit what he wanted... THEN he backs out.

I'm not bothered that he won't be coaching us, it's how he went about it that %s me.

Agreed. But, in a way, this may turn out ok:

1. We  got to “tap into his thinking” because he named OC and DC. 

2. The Colts are not starting from scratch, they have a list of potential candidates.

3. We saw character flaws in McDaniels; his indecisiveness and disregard for his word being his bond.

4. We have Ballard and Irsay. Say what you want, but Jim Irsay is a good owner and Ballard is capable of finding someone that can work with the guys hired. 

5. Sometimes, things just work out for the best, even if they work out differently than we imagined.

I agree with tfunky14! I am glad McDaniels backed out! He would have ruined the Colts and set back their rebuilding project 2 or 3 years. He would have gotten into a teardown/rebuild project, and ruined the team just like he did in Denver. Why do people think so highly of McDaniels? The offensive success at New England is due to the Belichick/Brady tandem. 

Look at it this way. Mc donald yes he's a clown did not set us back at all he did us a favor. How many retread coaches do well. Very few. I think there winning percentage is like 40% or something like that. Sean Mcvay the rams coach was a first timer. Doug Pederson is a first timer and just won the superbowl. How many retread coaches are winners. Tony Dungy yes. He had Peyton. Get the point. I'd rather go with an unknown then a retread that we know what they have done. If they where any good they would still be a head coach.