Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yahoo Sports - Bubba Smith thought Super Bowl III was fixed

bayone

Conspiracy theorists agree with Smith; the poor quarterbacking performance of 1968 MVP Earl Morall was cited as an example of something or other, I don't know. (By that measure John Elway threw his first three Super Bowls, too.) The explanations read like something the folks who deny the moon landing would write.

Smith told of his theory to Jeff Miller in his AFL book "Going Long:"

"This might sound crazy, but I don't think the game was kosher. In order for the merger to go through [the Jets] had to win. If you read the terms of the merger, if [the AFL] didn't establish credibility by the end of three years, the terms of the merger were null and void. You're talking the difference between millions and billions of dollars. The line opened at 18 and went down to 15 or something like that because a big bet had been placed on the game. And I know where that bet came from. It came from Baltimore, from someone on the team, from what I understand."

Bubba was right about one thing: It did sound crazy.

My link

Yeah, it is out there. Hard to say because Morrall also hit Hill right over the middle the goalline and he messed it up and it got intercepted, which was not on Morrall.

What is frustrating about that game is that the Colts, in the first half, moved the ball at will. They just kept messing up. I know as a Colts fan this sounds biased, but I do believe if they played 10 more times, the Colts win all 10 times. They were a better team. They just screwed up.

Yeah, it is out there. Hard to say because Morrall also hit Hill right over the middle the goalline and he messed it up and it got intercepted, which was not on Morrall.

What is frustrating about that game is that the Colts, in the first half, moved the ball at will. They just kept messing up. I know as a Colts fan this sounds biased, but I do believe if they played 10 more times, the Colts win all 10 times. They were a better team. They just screwed up.

You mean similar to our loss to the Saints?

I hate revisiting this, I was a young Colt fan then, but it still hurts. Morrall also missed Jimmy Orr, who was wide open, in the exact same play they ran a couple times earlier in the season.

The article says it sounds crazy, and you could apply that same theory to Elway losing his SBs. The difference is, like you said, the Colts were the better team, by a ton! You're right, Tom Matte ran through them like a hot knife through butter in the first Q. I think his record for rushing and average in a SB lasted a long time.

One more point - didn't another old time Colt also say the game was fixed (Donovan?) and then change his mind right away? And didn't Morrall open some business right after the game, like he came into some money? I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin, know what I'm sayin?

Anyway, let's move on.

The bigger "conspiracy" is how did Broadway Joe get into the HOF... ????

Check his stats and you will doubt the whole NFL HOF process.

As a fellow stat junkie, there's so mystery to that at all. You'd have to appreciate what Joe did for the game of football. Stats aren't everything and Broadway Joe is prime example. If they voted again today, he would still be in 100%.

As a fellow stat junkie, there's so mystery to that at all. You'd have to appreciate what Joe did for the game of football. Stats aren't everything and Broadway Joe is prime example. If they voted again today, he would still be in 100%.

Are you kidding me? What?... pop off at the mouth and get lucky? Joe is the most "unworthy" member of the PF HOF EVER. The problem with the NFL HOF is that big "moments" or "big Winning" get you in. Joe was a losing QB but will be forever remembered for "trash talking"...

Ken Stabler, Ken Anderson, Lynn Dickey... and on and on...

Ridiculous.

Troy Aikman, another fraud....