Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels rejects Colts.

RealityIsLuck

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like we'll be keeping the assistants McDaniels hand-picked, which is admirable but puts us further behind the eight-ball. Not sure how many potential HCs would be okay with not selecting their staff. But perhaps a candidate will convince the team otherwise. I feel bad for those families.

Yep, I got attacked for ripping mcsuckles  weeks ago, and I'll say it again people, we are better off without him, we dodged a bullet here. wew, that was close. Ok Ballard, go out and get it done. We are not the "laughingstock" the pats are, yet again. Deflategate or not, the pats are the joke here. And I'm sure Roger will coddle his little babies yet again.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Did you read the way people talked to me? The disrespect? The group think mentality calling me names just because I did not like McDaniels as the choice?

I actually stopped posting in the Colts general section for a while. 

When I heard we were going to hire Josh McDaniels, the pain in my stomach was real. It physically hurt. 

I am just happy we wont have that clown! 

I don't remember all this disrespect, but I'm not doubting you.

I'm also not doubting that you didn't think he was a good hire, and that being your thinking, it's not surprising that you're glad this has played out this way.

But, as someone else already said, there were two ways for you to play this. You could have taken the high road. You would be entitled to a hundred "I told you so's." I even apologized to Mike Florio in this thread. You have a lot of rope on this subject.

You took a different road.

And now you're rubbing it in the face of everyone who disagreed with you, essentially lumping in anyone who wanted McDaniels. 

It's too bad. You could have played this a lot better, and you would have come off as the winner. 

By the way, while I'm super disappointed in the way this went down, I'm glad, just like you, that it happened now. I'm concerned about what comes next, but no question we dodged a bullet. McDaniels clearly has zero integrity.

1 hour ago, ad24rouse said:

Damage control. Everyone knows he was supposed to be the target. Meanwhile all the other candidates they had interest in like Shurmur, Nagy, Wilks, and Vrabel are gone. This isn't a good spot for the team.

Just now, snkdy said:

Seems like we'll be keeping the assistants McDaniels hand-picked, which is admirable but puts us further behind the eight-ball. Not sure how many potential HCs would be okay with not selecting their staff. But perhaps a candidate will convince the team otherwise. I feel bad for those families.

Exactly. That's not really a great situation to be walking into. Especially being an obvious second choice and all.

That's why I think it's Toub as HC and Bevell as OC. Both guys with ties to Ballard.

I'm not buying the Deflategate revenge from McDaniels' perspective.  So he also gave up the Giants and Titans jobs just to screw us?  That was part of the plan?

Doubt it.  He was likely, at the last moment, guaranteed the HC job in New England within a few years.  Simple as that.

59 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Even if you don’t like McDaniels and you’re happy about this, this is a serious problem for us.

This hurts this team. How many qualified coaches did we turn away in favor of McDaniels?

This is...... unreal. 

I'm oddly OK that we missed out on those other coaches. I wasn't a fan of the candidates that were being interviewed around the league. Maybe this works out better in the long. 

The only way this could really get worse would be if they announced Chudzinski has accepted the job, lol.

7 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I disagree. 

And often I'm in agreement with you.  But your job is to vet people with issues.  Everyone was so worked up over his antics with Cutler and didn't focus on the real issue.  Mcdaniels cheated in Denver.  He has been a part of or associated with every scandal in the past decade.  That has to be the fore front of your mind when you are hiring the leader and face of your franchise. 

And yes before you ask.  I do think all of the other teams who had interest in Mcdaniels would be under the same judicious treatment.  He shouldn't have been in consideration from the beginning.

Well said.

Relief from what - convincing one of their own coaches who is under contract to stay with the team and not take another job?  Even if he did sign a contract with the Colts could the Patriots blamed for tampering?  Someone would have to prove that the Patriots tampered with him after he signed the contract. 

As much as I hate the Patriots, do you really think they planned this?  And even if they did, good luck proving it. I think they learned from deflategate about emails, texts, cell phones. For all we know, they could have been trying to convince him to stay the entire time and made a last ditched effort at the 11th hour. 

Just now, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Or if previous rumors as to why Nagy didn't come here are true -- is Andrew hurt worse than we know?

That's one thing I'll defend McDaniels on. It could be the Colts were promising McDaniels that Luck would be healthy, and in crunch time, maybe McDaniels learned that Luck wasn't healthy after all? In that case, who's in the wrong here?

I think though we need to find a coach who's willing to coach us, with or without Luck. Someone with a real passion for helping Indy.

2 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Exactly. That's not really a great situation to be walking into. Especially being an obvious second choice and all.

That's why I think it's Toub as HC and Bevell as OC. Both guys with ties to Ballard.

I keep hearing about Toub but I'm not sure he was even interviewed the first time around. Bevell was linked to the team a few days ago though.

3 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

ONLY if he signed a deal with the colts already. Even the. It be a hard sell. He was not hired as pats HC but retained as an OC.  I will be stunned if the Colts get anything. And FYI Kraft went to the Jets and did the deal of trades for BB that was NOT  rewarded by the league. 

I mean  what would you get for a man staying at his old job instead of taking a promotion?  Like I said it all depends if he signed anything..

Kraft did that deal with the Jets because the NFL leaned in him to do so.   

It's documented in the latest ESPN 30 for 30.     Worth a look.

Even if there is zero paperwork, this wouldn't be hard to prove there was an understanding...    we have signed contracts with a bunch of assistants...   it wouldn't be hard to have them tell the NFL that they spoke with JM and joined the Colts to be on the staff with Josh McDaniels.    

I dont think this is a hard case to prove by any reasonable doubt.

I think the only question is how much we get and not whether we get anything at all.

1 hour ago, Yehoodi said:

Perhaps the SB loss may have jarred something with the Krafts, who knows . . . i am in shock also . . . 

There's a lot of rumbling from the fans that Belichick mishandled that superbowl, especially with benching Butler.   Jonathan Kraft is in love with Belichick, but his son is much less so.  Jonathan's response to the schism talk was rather tepid in terms of his support of Belichick.. that has not been forgotten.

The elder Kraft is getting up there and the younger is handling more and more of the team responsibilities... a fan and staff revolt against Belichick that spoke to Jonathan might find a receptive ear, and if Bill saw the writing on the wall and that he'd have to compete with Jonathan for authority in the team, he might decide to abruptly retire -- it would be in his character.  He's said in the past he will only coach if he continues to have full control of the team, if that's coming to an end because of an irritated owner, we could see some pretty volcanic things happening in New England in the shockingly near future.

We may have just witnessed the last gasp of the Dynasty.,

We waited 5 weeks for this. The AFC South has got to be laughing and very pleased.

I tried to stay quiet on McDaniels and stay neutral, and when he was announced I jumped on board and though he would be a good hire. 

I was severely wrong in just a matter of hours. To all of you against McDaniels, congrats. You were right. 

I just feel empty at this point. 

7 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

You can remember this the way you want to, but it went WAY beyond people having different opinions. The few of us who were completely against McDaniels as our head coach was bashed and beaten like a red-headed step child. 

So now it all comes down to you getting revenge.  I see.

2 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

People are looking at this McDaniels Gate WRONG ,

Ballard has a second chance at getting the perfect candidate Frank Reich made Nick Foles a Superbowl Champ why would'nt we take a hard look at the Eagles OC ? 

From what I've read, a lot of that credit has been heaped upon the QB coach, John Defilippo.

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

I have your permission?

Granted I am still relatively new here but i really don't remember seeing anyone being eviscerated for being against the McDaniels hire. Maybe you were I don't know, but my god man grow a pair and quit your crying and gloating. What does it accomplish?

Oh and you do have my permission to get over yourself.  Haha. 

3 minutes ago, snkdy said:

I keep hearing about Toub but I'm not sure he was even interviewed the first time around. Bevell was linked to the team a few days ago though.

Yeah, he wasn't interviewed.

But Holder mentions a "back pocket" option for Ballard. It could definitely be Bevell, somebody close to Ballard, but I think it could also be Toub. Gotta think it's somebody Ballard knows very well.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Kraft did that deal with the Jets because the NFL leaned in him to do so.   

It's documented in the latest ESPN 30 for 30.     Worth a look.

Even if there is zero paperwork, this wouldn't be hard to prove there was an understanding...    we have signed contracts with a bunch of assistants...   it wouldn't be hard to have them tell the NFL that they spoke with JM and joined the Colts to be on the staff with Josh McDaniels.    

I dont think this is a hard case to prove by any reasonable doubt.

I think the only question is how much we get and not whether we get anything at all.

I honestly doubt it.  Good faith is one thing, but the burden of proof is on the Colts to establish they have a verbal contract.  If you can't prove there's a verbal or written contract (and when the burden of proof is on you, an understanding on its own is not sufficient), I don't think the Colts have a leg to stand on under contract law -- unless there's some specific NFL rules that contradict that.

Just now, George Peterson said:

I honestly doubt it.  Good faith is one thing, but the burden of proof is on the Colts to establish they have a verbal contract.  If you can't prove there's a verbal or written contract (and when the burden of proof is on you, an understanding on its own is not sufficient), I don't think the Colts have a leg to stand on under contract law -- unless there's some specific NFL rules that contradict that.

In the year 2018 virtually all major organizations use voice over IP. Therefore almost all calls are recorded. That’s the route it will take likely. That and all the assistant coaches who can vouch that JM had verbally committed.

1 minute ago, George Peterson said:

I'm guessing the assistants he recruited will be willing to talk to goodell