Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Taking A Defensive Minded Approach As A Backup Plan

Portage Coltfans

I have made my position clear that I want to give Peyton a chance to come back, with or without restructuring a contract, and play for the Colts for the next few years.

I also would like to trade the #1 pick and use it to beef up a roster who has very little Pro-bowl quality youth on the team. Which was due to poor drafting. If we traded #1 and got multiple picks in return then we could really have a good young team with or without manning or luck. I know QB is the most important position, but the 49ers, jets, vikings and Ravens have all succeeded from a solid defense and are contenders for a superbowl next year. The steelers and giants have both won multiple without amazing QB play, just solid.

I am perfectly fine with taking this route, and with the more and more likely scenerio that Manning will play again. (Positive quotes from Polian/Saturday/addai and multiple teams hoping to sign him) We could have the possibility to win multiple superbowls until manning retires with the pro-bowl talent we have now and add some great new CB's/DT/LB's or whoever.

You want to know how to pay for it? There is always a way to make it work, don't focus on money only. Plus, Irsay said this isn't about Money.

1) Without restructuring the current Peyton contract, the team would be subject to unacceptable risks of severe cap damage if PM cannot play out the 4 years remaining on the contract. Furthermore, with the current contract, the cap hit resulting from it ($17, 18,19,20) will hamper the team's ability to sign FAs in the next 4 years.

2) Trading the #1 overall pick will not give the team Pro-bowl quality youth in the near term due to the fact that it takes time to develop rookies into NFL players, and that the trade will most likely give you 1st round picks in the future beyond this upcoming draft, which will further delay that time to develop.

3) There is no credible evidence that shows that Manning will be more likely to play. All the positive reports are more than cancelled by the negative reports.

4) There is no way the team is likely to win the SB any time soon, especially since the owner of the team has declared that the team is undergoing rebuilding, and have recently replaced the GM, HC, and nearly all of the coaching staff.

5) Money is not the only focus. All teams need to live under the salary cap, therefore the team cannot spend freely, as there will be salary cap consequences. The current salary cap for the Colts for the upcoming season will be very tight.

6) If Irsay said that this was not about money, he would not be asking Peyton to restructure his contract.

7) Historically, only 3 QBs aged 36 or older have led their teams to SB wins. Peyton Manning will be 36 this upcoming season.

2) Trading the #1 overall pick will not give the team Pro-bowl quality youth in the near term due to the fact that it takes time to develop rookies into NFL players, and that the trade will most likely give you 1st round picks in the future beyond this upcoming draft, which will further delay that time to develop.

This is so true, and what I don't get is that people just assume that all the extra picks they would get from trading the #1 are going to pan out.

1) Without restructuring the current Peyton contract, the team would be subject to unacceptable risks of severe cap damage if PM cannot play out the 4 years remaining on the contract. Furthermore, with the current contract, the cap hit resulting from it ($17, 18,19,20) will hamper the team's ability to sign FAs in the next 4 years.

3) There is no credible evidence that shows that Manning will be more likely to play. All the positive reports are more than cancelled by the negative reports.

4) There is no way the team is likely to win the SB any time soon, especially since the owner of the team has declared that the team is undergoing rebuilding, and have recently replaced the GM, HC, and nearly all of the coaching staff.

5) Money is not the only focus. All teams need to live under the salary cap, therefore the team cannot spend freely, as there will be salary cap consequences. The current salary cap for the Colts for the upcoming season will be very tight.

6) If Irsay said that this was not about money, he would not be asking Peyton to restructure his contract.

7) Historically, only 3 QBs aged 36 or older have led their teams to SB wins. Peyton Manning will be 36 this upcoming season.

How many rookie QBs have led their team to the playoffs..?

I dont know. I'm just asking.

I thought this post was about defense but it is about the approach to Manning, Luck, and the draft. The best approach is to draft Luck and let him compete with Orlovsky and whoever is available for the starting QB job. Luck is like having a bonus because the Colts should have drafted a QB in 2011. Now the Colts have the chance at taking one of the best prospects in a long time. The rest of the draft the Colts pick 2nd in the even rounds and 1st in the odd rounds. That is almost like picking last in the preceeding round. After Luck the Colts could get a first round grade DT, a second round grade DB, a third round grade OL, a fourth round grade WR. Those positions are solid in this draft. TE and DE are not as deep. Irsay is clearly rebuilding this team and hopefully he wants to win as soon as possible. Winning means getting solid draft picks and adding good FAs to complement your team.

How many rookie QBs have led their team to the playoffs..?

I dont know. I'm just asking.

Well just this year a 2nd rd pick lead the Bengals to the playoffs in possibly the roughest div. in the NFL.

And depending on how you look at it TJ Yates led the Texans there as well.

This is so true, and what I don't get is that people just assume that all the extra picks they would get from trading the #1 are going to pan out.

This is true, but as Pick is " supposedly " worth more in picks than ever, u have to figure enough will work out that will be future quality starters

also true some are for future years and wont benefit team at all this year but will help in later years and add flexibility if want to trade up for someone

The offer in # and draft position of picks would have to be just to good to pass up

I know in hindsight nothing offrered on 98 to me would have been worth trading to lose the Manning years even if just 1 Superbowl win, It was a d elite to watch with everlasting memories just like the Unitas years

If / When Luck picked, may it be just as rewarding

I thought this post was about defense but it is about the approach to Manning, Luck, and the draft. The best approach is to draft Luck and let him compete with Orlovsky and whoever is available for the starting QB job. Luck is like having a bonus because the Colts should have drafted a QB in 2011. Now the Colts have the chance at taking one of the best prospects in a long time. The rest of the draft the Colts pick 2nd in the even rounds and 1st in the odd rounds. That is almost like picking last in the preceeding round. After Luck the Colts could get a first round grade DT, a second round grade DB, a third round grade OL, a fourth round grade WR. Those positions are solid in this draft. TE and DE are not as deep. Irsay is clearly rebuilding this team and hopefully he wants to win as soon as possible. Winning means getting solid draft picks and adding good FAs to complement your team.

Hope u r right about DT, I have read its not as deep a draft as one would thiink and that no one along DL is for sure this year

Of course that was 1 persons view , forgot who

are some big good TE's

How about let him compete with Peyton for the starting job? I bet Peyton outplays this overated poor excuse of a QB even with a bad neck

Hope all of you Luck-haters are kept safely away from tall buildings and dangerous objects when draft day comes around. The hatred some of you have for a guy that's not even a Colt (yet) is sad.

Hope you are all able to find another team to root for when Luck takes over the starting QB role on this team (whenever that may be).

Hope all of you Luck-haters are kept safely away from tall buildings and dangerous objects when draft day comes around. The hatred some of you have for a guy that's not even a Colt (yet) is sad.

Hope you are all able to find another team to root for when Luck takes over the starting QB role on this team (whenever that may be).

I understand the bitterness some will have if/when Luck takes over as starting QB, but there's no excuse to chastise and ridicule him simply because he's the new QB. It's not like he personally kicked Manning to the curb, it's Irsay's/GM's/HC's decision. We should all be supportive of whoever will be under center next year.

This is true, but as Pick is " supposedly " worth more in picks than ever, u have to figure enough will work out that will be future quality starters

also true some are for future years and wont benefit team at all this year but will help in later years and add flexibility if want to trade up for someone

The offer in # and draft position of picks would have to be just to good to pass up

I know in hindsight nothing offrered on 98 to me would have been worth trading to lose the Manning years even if just 1 Superbowl win, It was a d elite to watch with everlasting memories just like the Unitas years

I'm not sure how having Luck with no good players around him is better than 4 extra rookies who make the team better. And those 4 picks don't have to be from this year only. Look what trading Herschel walker got the Cowboys and what the saints/falcons gave up for ricky williams and Julio jones.

I love how we are switching our two best Defensive end studs to a position they haven't played in their NFL career and on top of that we have no depth or even proper skill at LB or the entire secondary to run a 3-4. Bethea is a stud, and Powers is good but thats about it.

My point is, we can beef up the entire roster by trading one player and this brings us back to the original thread point of "what's wrong with following the ravens/49ers route?

who hates Luck? If you are assuming I hate him because I don't want to draft him, then that allows me to think you hate manning because you want to dump him to the curb. (thats just silly isn't it)

I'm not sure how having Luck with no good players around him is better than 4 extra rookies who make the team better. And those 4 picks don't have to be from this year only. Look what trading Herschel walker got the Cowboys and what the saints/falcons gave up for ricky williams and Julio jones.

I love how we are switching our two best Defensive end studs to a position they haven't played in their NFL career and on top of that we have no depth or even proper skill at LB or the entire secondary to run a 3-4. Bethea is a stud, and Powers is good but thats about it.

My point is, we can beef up the entire roster by trading one player and this brings us back to the original thread point of "what's wrong with following the ravens/49ers route?

To Portage Coltfans Hi

I was trying to be diplomatic in what I think colts will do , I should have been clearer

, Personally,. I want them to make the trade & agree with u

I have made my position clear that I want to give Peyton a chance to come back, with or without restructuring a contract, and play for the Colts for the next few years.

I also would like to trade the #1 pick and use it to beef up a roster who has very little Pro-bowl quality youth on the team. Which was due to poor drafting. If we traded #1 and got multiple picks in return then we could really have a good young team with or without manning or luck. I know QB is the most important position, but the 49ers, jets, vikings and Ravens have all succeeded from a solid defense and are contenders for a superbowl next year. The steelers and giants have both won multiple without amazing QB play, just solid.

I am perfectly fine with taking this route, and with the more and more likely scenerio that Manning will play again. (Positive quotes from Polian/Saturday/addai and multiple teams hoping to sign him) We could have the possibility to win multiple superbowls until manning retires with the pro-bowl talent we have now and add some great new CB's/DT/LB's or whoever.

You want to know how to pay for it? There is always a way to make it work, don't focus on money only. Plus, Irsay said this isn't about Money.

We have nothing to lose in drafting luck. He's one of the best to be coming out of college. Are you worried were going to suck for the next couple seasons? For me that's fine because we will have more early round draft picks to build a team for luck when he does finally start for the colts.

We have nothing to lose in drafting luck. He's one of the best to be coming out of college. Are you worried were going to suck for the next couple seasons? For me that's fine because we will have more early round draft picks to build a team for luck when he does finally start for the colts.

That was the problem with Peyton, he was to good to fast and always we had bad draft picks save for james ( 4 ) & freeney

( 16 ?)

A few loosing seasons with some top / good draft picks in a row will go a long way to fortifying the team for the long term

That was the problem with Peyton, he was to good to fast and always we had bad draft picks save for james ( 4 ) & freeney

( 16 ?)

A few loosing seasons with some top / good draft picks in a row will go a long way to fortifying the team for the long term

wait a min, how can you leave out glenn, wayne, harrison, clark, sanders

so you want to be the Lions and the Rams? great idea, that is exactly what those teams are and look how good they are. The lions still have yet to do anything with their studs. ( I do love megatron though)

What's wrong with taking the route of the ravens/49ers and build up our Defense? If we have manning and some quality youth on defense then we might be going somewhere.

You take the rams way, i'll take the 49er way + manning at the helm hopefully

Indianapolis-Colts-Fan, on 27 February 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

Correct me if wrong, Glenn & Harrison picked before Peyton played , Not leaving out Wayne meant was late in first round & he took a few years to develop, he admits it, & I love him, Clark I think was in the 20's forgot where sanders was drafted

I meant high draft picks # wise after Peyton turned the team around so fast, not necessarily quality that we got later, so saying a few losing seasons gives us chance to ensure higher draft picks # wise and better chance of getting a quality player esp as picking earlier also in later rounds as Indianapolis-Colts-Fan, said

I was agreeing with initial poster that we can get higher draft picks # wise, if we dont win right away

However, I want us to win out of the gate running , I live near Detroit and dont want to endure what lions fans have d for so many years

I Hope That Clarifies My Position

Correct me if wrong, Glenn & Harrison picked before Peyton played , Not leaving out Wayne meant was late in first round & he took a few years to develop, he admits it, & I love him, Clark I think was in the 20's forgot where sanders was drafted

I meant high draft picks # wise after Peyton turned the team around so fast, not necessarily quality that we got later, so saying a few losing seasons gives us chance to ensure higher draft picks # wise and better chance of getting a quality player esp as picking earlier also in later rounds as Indianapolis-Colts-Fan, said

I was agreeing with initial poster that we can get higher draft picks # wise, if we dont win right away

However, I want us to win out of the gate running , I live near Detroit and dont want to endure what lions fans have d for so many years

I was the original poster.

I think basically this comes down to some people thinking Luck is worth it, I just don't agree he's that good to dump manning and lose the value of picks he could bring

snapback.pngPortage Coltfans, on 28 February 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

snapback.pngPortage Coltfans, on 28 February 2012 - 11:36 AM, said:

I was the original poster.

I think basically this comes down to some people thinking Luck is worth it, I just don't agree he's that good to dump manning and lose the value of picks he could bring

WHEN I SAY initial poster I meant in the replies to the poster that I just replied to posted at top of the post, not u

T0 u I already posted

snapback.pngPortage Coltfans, on 27 February 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

To Portage Colt fans Hi

I was trying to be diplomatic in what I think colts will do , I should have been clearer

, Personally,. I want them to make the trade & agree with u

Most first round picks are starters from day #1 and when we are talking high draft picks ( at the top of the round) there isn't going to be any ..time to develope. Any team in this league would instantly become winners, with that many high picks. People think having the chance to draft Luck is a miracle............passing up the chance to become very good right away...........defies brain activity. How many Qb's currenlty playing in the NFL are good enough to take a team to the Super Bowl? At least 10, but some want to think that the only one that can do it, has to be picked #1 overall and pass up a major upgrading of the team.............that defies and kind of logical thinking

Most first round picks are starters from day #1 and when we are talking high draft picks ( at the top of the round) there isn't going to be any ..time to develope. Any team in this league would instantly become winners, with that many high picks. People think having the chance to draft Luck is a miracle............passing up the chance to become very good right away...........defies brain activity. How many Qb's currenlty playing in the NFL are good enough to take a team to the Super Bowl? At least 10, but some want to think that the only one that can do it, has to be picked #1 overall and pass up a major upgrading of the team.............that defies and kind of logical thinking

Noone knows what the logical thing is to do because we have absolutely no idea what's going on. Spock would be the only one that knows 100% what the logical situation would be. Some people think it's logical to take one of the best QB prospects of all time when you have an aging QB coming off multiple surgeries, while others think trading the pick would be the most logical. What if Lucks a bust, but also what if no other QB is as near NFL ready as Luck? Even if you did get a wealth of picks for Luck and brought in a QB who is nowhere near the caliber, your just doing a balancing act anyways. We would have more players, but perhaps a QB nowhere near as quality.

We could get a Hughes, Ugoh, Brown and Gonzo. World Championships here we come.......oh wait. Poor to average high draft picks with a HOF QB won us zilch, what chance will lots of new high picks with an average rookie give us?

It's time to rebuild, and aim for something special in 3 years time......with Luck (and a bit of PM if we can)....

Can I ask what you don't like about Luck's game?

I don't like that he is an overhyped hush puppy. Because of this guy people are throwing Peyton to the curb.

yeah, I'm a Luck hater! If Peyton is gone then so be it. I wish all the best for Andrew Luck and I hope he can lead our team to many great things. What just because I want Peyton to stay that means I will stop rooting for my team when he is kicked out?

You fail to understand the whole point of the situation. You and others have short memories. I don't.

So they restructure. In your #4, you said we would not be winning anytime soon because the owner declared the team is undergoing rebuilding, so who cares what FA we resign.

I agree but I just listened to Gil Brandt talk about the record number of rookies who contributed this year including starts and probowl appearances.

So the positive reports are not credible but the negative reports are credible enough to cancel them out? Huh?

I agree with this if we start a rookie at QB.

Yes.

He said it wasn't about money...that is why he just paid him 28 large to rehab. That doesn't mean it isn't about salary cap. If there was no salary cap, he would lay that 26 large on him so fast we wouldn't even see it change hands.

You quote his age a lot. Thats fine. Remember though, he isn't like everybody else...he never has been. Also, if your counting years, he just took a year off.

So they restructure. In your #4, you said we would not be winning anytime soon because the owner declared the team is undergoing rebuilding, so who cares what FA we resign.

In a rebuilding effort, you want extra money to spend on offer LT contracts to younger FAs that have potential, so that they may grow with the team. Given the number of holes the team has, this strategy will be particularly useful in filling them.

I agree but I just listened to Gil Brandt talk about the record number of rookies who contributed this year including starts and probowl appearances.

So the positive reports are not credible but the negative reports are credible enough to cancel them out? Huh?

You misunderstand me. I do not equal credence to both positive and negative reports. I said they cancelled each other out. However, we know for a fact that PM has not provided any tape of his throwing abilities thus far, even 9 days away from the option bonus exercise date. You would think the "politician" would be smart enough to provide this to encourage the Colts to pay the bonus to keep him a Colt so that he can achieve his wish to retire a Colt.

I agree with this if we start a rookie at QB.

Even if we had PM back at 100%, on a rebuilding team, with new coaching staff, and new defensive schemes, and possibly new offensive schemes, PM will most likely not lead us back to any SB this upcoming season.

Yes.

He said it wasn't about money...that is why he just paid him 28 large to rehab. That doesn't mean it isn't about salary cap. If there was no salary cap, he would lay that 26 large on him so fast we wouldn't even see it change hands.

Firstly, Irsay paid $26.4MM to PM in 2011 to basically not play. Irsay will not pay on top of that an additional $28MM so that PM can turn around and retire, hitting the Colts' salary cap at $38.4MM in 2012, or just about 1/3 of the total team salary cap for a player that will not be playing. Irsay was foolish to pay him the original $26.4. He would be more foolish to pay him the $28 now. That is why he asked for the restructure. Whatever Irsay said about it not being about the money, it is always about the money. This is a business, and businesses are about the money.

You quote his age a lot. Thats fine. Remember though, he isn't like everybody else...he never has been. Also, if your counting years, he just took a year off.

I do quote his age a lot, and I quote it accurately. He will be 36 years old for this upcoming season. Historically, only 3 QBs 36 years old (or older) led their teams to SB victories.

One of them was a Colt. The other 2, ironically enough, were former Stanford QBs.

I don't like that he is an overhyped hush puppy. Because of this guy people are throwing Peyton to the curb.

yeah, I'm a Luck hater! If Peyton is gone then so be it. I wish all the best for Andrew Luck and I hope he can lead our team to many great things. What just because I want Peyton to stay that means I will stop rooting for my team when he is kicked out?

You fail to understand the whole point of the situation. You and others have short memories. I don't.

Hypocrite much? You wish Luck the best? Your the same guy who starts threads entitled "Andrew Luck will be a bust". And you make your assumptions out to be facts without a shred of any proof or reasoning to back it up.

the same can be said about luck. many #1 picks don't pan out. you are putting all your eggs in one basket with luck. having multiple high picks spreads the risk out and you should get some very good players and maybe a player that turns out better than luck.

if the colts don't have manning and luck doesn't turn out to be a top qb, the colts are going to be in for years of loosing.

dont worry about the peyton haters. they dont see it like we do. what they dont realize is ryan leaf was to be as good if not better then peyton manning remember that? he had outstanding stats. he was going places. so now where is ryan leaf now? and how many years losing did the chargers endure? in the past ten years besides eli manning who really isnt as great as peyton has a #1 overall QB won the superbowl much less made the playoffs? now how many years has a team built by rb's and other positions has made the playoffs much less wont he superbowl? last i checked matt stafford, matt ryan, joe flacco, sam bradford, cam newton, vince young, matt leinart have won 0 superbowls combined and all were supposedly the next greatest QB prospect to come out of college. what makes luck any better?

i agree with you fully id rather keep peyton and add high quality players to key positions that will help us win many superbowls in the near future and if anyonet hinks it cant be done they are kidding themselves. we made the superbowl with no defense and no offensive line and i can bet you we can do it with a defense and offensive line the next few years. to me luck might be a good player but he will never be as great as everyone is saying he is. i can bet you on that.

the same can be said about luck. many #1 picks don't pan out. you are putting all your eggs in one basket with luck. having multiple high picks spreads the risk out and you should get some very good players and maybe a player that turns out better than luck.

if the colts don't have manning and luck doesn't turn out to be a top qb, the colts are going to be in for years of loosing.

lets see keep peyton and let luck sit and learn the speed of the game and have 3-4 winning seasons then let luck take over and have many more years of winning. or get rid of manning stick luck in right away and have 3-4 losing seasons till luck figures out what hes doing by himself and if he cant then well have another ten to 15 years of being the detroit lions. hmmm id pick the first option.