Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McD has not let Patriots know he is leaving (Rumor)

IndyNismoZ

1 minute ago, Shafty138 said:

More like jogging in a nervous circle while looking over your shoulder is a bad idea as an NFL WR......

I got a separated shoulder on a play like that.  Shaking and baking and getting blindsided and planted on my shoulder...  It’s those hits you don’t see that hurt the most.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's an interesting angle, but why would it take all this time for that to come up. It's been a month, and on top of that, McDaniels gets HC consideration every year. Why now, after two interviews, and at the 11th hour? 

Anything is possible until the pen hits the page, but this doesn't strike me as a legitimate story at this point. 

It's Florio hearing "chatter ."

4 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Speaking of Cooks, the NE draft scenario doesn't exaclty help restock the talent any this year either..... they traded away a #1 and #2 did they not?

That’s probably why Belichick is quietly steaming.  Trading Garoppolo was very foolish.  I think had they kept him, I could see a scenario where McDaniels might have stayed to take over the reigns...  Only problem with that scenario is Belichick probably would have coached for another decade with Jimmy G, getting most of the credit while McDaniels got very little.

8 hours ago, Superman said:

He took the job, then resigned right before his introductory presser. Then he did the presser anyway. 

I watched “30 for 30 the 2 Bills” and to me the whole sequence of events made perfect sense, particularly after understanding how BB came to the Jets 2 year before that and how Parcells used him to deal with the situation arised from him leaving the Pats before the contract was over.

5 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Speaking of Cooks, the NE draft scenario doesn't exaclty help restock the talent any this year either..... they traded away a #1 and #2 did they not?

They traded a #1 last year for Cooks. This year they have their picks in both the first and second round plush 49ers pick in the second. 

Schefter still reporting that Mcdaniels expected to be named head coach.

If this were to fall through though it would almost certainly be because he was offered the Patriots job as soon as BB retires. And who knows that may be sooner then later. Nobody else would hire the guy if he bailed on the Colts offer. But if he was guaranteed the Pats job he likely wouldn't care and Kraft would get enjoyment out of sticking one to the Colts.

McDaniels wants to separate himself from Belichick, I feel, to show that he can win outside New England. Think about this, if you win in Indy 1 Super Bowl, you are a bigger hero than you are at New England. Plus, he wouldn’t have considered Indy over Tennessee if he wasn’t convinced about Luck’s health. 5-10 years of Luck or 1-2 years of Brady???

It’s insecure media talk, IMO.

3 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

If this were to fall through though it would almost certainly be because he was offered the Patriots job as soon as BB retires. And who knows that may be sooner then later. Nobody else would hire the guy if he bailed on the Colts offer. But if he was guaranteed the Pats job he likely wouldn't care and Kraft would get enjoyment out of sticking one to the Colts.

This would be very foolish on McDaniel's part for several reasons.

1) You typically don't want to follow in the footsteps or take over from a LEGENDARY coach (arguably the GOAT in the coaching world). Especially in this case considering Brady is almost done, there is no back-up QB contingency plan (the Jimmy G fiasco), and knowing what Patriot fans have been used to for the last decade +, McDaniels leash would not be very long to be completely honest in NE unless he starts winning quickly which might be hard if Brady leaves soon.

2) If he bails on the Colts, he will arguably never get an interview for a serious HC position in the NFL every again. He would essentially be chaining himself to NE for the rest of his life. What happens if he doesn't have the same success following Belicheck and the fans start asking for his firing? If he has to leave NE, he would have nowhere else to go (especially considering he already messed up his first HC gig). 

3) The Colts are arguably a better situation for Josh McDaniels than the Patriots in 1-2 years would be. Colts have 80+ million in cap space RN, have the #3 overall pick, an excellent young GM to "grow old with" lol, and a potentially healthy Luck who could easily be a top 5-10 QB the rest of his career if he doesn't encounter any career-ending injuries. 

25 minutes ago, indy1888 said:

I think he only stays if B.B. had told him in the last week or so this was his last game as coach or maybe one more year and McDaniels would be the coach in waiting.  

If he backs out most other teams won’t give him a sniff again and he will tick off a lot other people who had deals with the Colts based on him coming here to coach.  He would pretty much destroy his reputation around the NFL.  

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

Which goes back to my original inclination, that this is Florio stirring up meaningless rumors. 

What bothered me was on the past game show on The NBC sportsnetwork he threw out his rumblings line and then at the end out of no where he goes and I think he has some real reservations about working with Jim Irsay.  Nothing to back it up just his personal opinion.  It’s a storyline the media wants to be true but according to those around the NFL, coaches, GMs, and players, they all like Irsey because he will do anythjng to win.  They went to Dungy and Harrison to respond but only talked about Gronk maybe retiring and didn’t talk about McDaniels at all.  I wish Dungy had because he’s always said Jim Irsay was a great owner to work for.

8 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

What bothered me was on the past game show on The NBC sportsnetwork he threw out his rumblings line and then at the end out of no where he goes and I think he has some real reservations about working with Jim Irsay.  Nothing to back it up just his personal opinion.  It’s a storyline the media wants to be true but according to those around the NFL, coaches, GMs, and players, they all like Irsey because he will do anythjng to win.  They went to Dungy and Harrison to respond but only talked about Gronk maybe retiring and didn’t talk about McDaniels at all.  I wish Dungy had because he’s always said Jim Irsay was a great owner to work for.

I just feel like the NFL world can't handle the fact that the Colts got pretty much the 2 hottest names in the GM and Coaching Cycle these past few years.

I feel bad for Jimmy. He's got this negative reputation about him that makes him look a crazy meddling owner. While I do think he's gotta cool it with the overzealous and overly optimistic comments and predictions, there has been no definitive proof anywhere that states Jim Irsay meddles. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

That's an interesting angle, but why would it take all this time for that to come up. It's been a month, and on top of that, McDaniels gets HC consideration every year. Why now, after two interviews, and at the 11th hour? 

Anything is possible until the pen hits the page, but this doesn't strike me as a legitimate story at this point. 

Why now?

Maybe Belichick has said something to Kraft?    About only coaching a few more years?    About securing McDaniels to follow him?     Those thoughts wouldn't necessarily have to align with the Colts timetable.

Then again..    since this discussion started,  Shefter is now saying this gets done mid-week.     So perhaps it's all much ado about nothing...    Perhaps...

A couple years ago I started watching NBC's Football Talk show, the one where Florio provides commentary from around the league. After about 2 months, I got to the point I could not watch it any more. He took every chance he could to criticize Irsay. He just does not like him, and he does not like the fact McDaniels is going to be our HC, period. I don't know why he is so zealous in his outright dislike for Irsay (my guess is the whole NE-Indy relationship over the last decade), but it never fails that if he can say anything negative. Grow up and be a journalist for once. You may not like him, but almost everyone who has worked with Jimmy thinks he is an owner who wants to win and will spend the money to do what it takes. Plus, this talk of meddling is nonsense. All owners meddle some, but for a decade, irsay was almost hands off on Polian. He let our new GM handle the coaching search, and look what happened. He got who was arguably the best candidate possible, and Ballard did it by smoothing over relations which had been horrible for a decade, which is no small feat. I know Jim has his problems, which although no one wants to admit it, is due to his health. Pain is a horrible condition to deal with. The fact is he is a very good owner who has hired a fantastic GM, and hopefully a HC who I believe is going to be a very good HC who will have learned from past mistakes.

Florio is a tool!

12 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Why now?

Maybe Belichick has said something to Kraft?    About only coaching a few more years?    About securing McDaniels to follow him?     Those thoughts wouldn't necessarily have to align with the Colts timetable.

Then again..    since this discussion started,  Shefter is now saying this gets done mid-week.     So perhaps it's all much ado about nothing...    Perhaps...

Another point I haven't read is why would any head coach want to follow in Belichick's footsteps in New England?  IMO it's a no win situation. Kraft and all the fan base have come to expect winning and it could get very ugly if whoever took over cant maintain that. 

12 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

A couple years ago I started watching NBC's Football Talk show, the one where Florio provides commentary from around the league. After about 2 months, I got to the point I could not watch it any more. He took every chance he could to criticize Irsay. He just does not like him, and he does not like the fact McDaniels is going to be our HC, period. I don't know why he is so zealous in his outright dislike for Irsay (my guess is the whole NE-Indy relationship over the last decade), but it never fails that if he can say anything negative. Grow up and be a journalist for once. You may not like him, but almost everyone who has worked with Jimmy thinks he is an owner who wants to win and will spend the money to do what it takes. Plus, this talk of meddling is nonsense. All owners meddle some, but for a decade, irsay was almost hands off on Polian. He let our new GM handle the coaching search, and look what happened. He got who was arguably the best candidate possible, and Ballard did it by smoothing over relations which had been horrible for a decade, which is no small feat. I know Jim has his problems, which although no one wants to admit it, is due to his health. Pain is a horrible condition to deal with. The fact is he is a very good owner who has hired a fantastic GM, and hopefully a HC who I believe is going to be a very good HC who will have learned from past mistakes.

Florio is a tool!

Florio = Wilbon.  Michael Wilbon started ragging on Irsay years ago on Pardon the Interruption calling him just like his father Robert.  ESPN hasn't stopped yet and use every excuse to make Irsay look bad.

Florio did work for ESPN before going to NBC sports.

ESPN, NFL.com and pretty much any so called sports channels is exactly why I quit watching them.

Now it's who can be the most argumentative.

I guess I am too old school. I would like just to hear the facts on the games without all the horse dung thrown in.

This is how I see it. Complete rumor started just to create suspense and drama I feel BB doesn't feel the need to help the Patriots in the future after what they made him do with JG and he gave him to SF for free almost no way is he telling JM to stay if anything BB is probably saying run to Indy win some rings before the Patriots ship sinks.

7 hours ago, Superman said:

Which goes back to my original inclination, that this is Florio stirring up meaningless rumors. 

6 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Florio simply dislikes us. He always has. He’s had a public personal spat with Irsay in the past, and ever since then he’s made it his business to put a negative spin on anything Colts related. Now he’s just stirring the pot to agitate us and make us uneasy as the wait moves along. 

The guy is a fourth party blogger disguised as a third party news outlet who wants nothing more than the league to make some kind of change as a result of the koolaid he serves.