Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Super Bowl LII (52) Game Thread

LucasOilStadium

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That’s shocking!!! He might not have been a lock down corner but he is a sure tackler and he is a good corner. Especially in redzone. They could have used his help Tonight. Don’t get it.

It's all part of Belichek's genius;  he never makes mistakes.  Anything doesn't go his way, it's always because there's more than meets the eye;  never because he effed up.

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...that’s Pats code for we aren’t talking. I assume it was for good reasons...and that’s fine...if it’s for matchups honestly....then that is insane. He was crying before the game maybe had family issues.

He was crying because Belichick & Patricia told him he wouldn’t be starting or playing tonight...  I’m shocked they couldn’t find a way to use him at all...  I have never really been impressed with Patricia.  His defense has gotten by recently with timely stops or balls bouncing their way...  Even Bortles lit them up.  I can see him struggling as a HC.

Sorry to the Pats fans here btw who are good posters and good people. It hurts to lose the Super Bowl.

My fiance and love of my life is a Patriots fan (yes it happens lol) but his lifelong obsession is the Red Sox and we do the Celtics thing together. He's actually pretty cool with this and all, he had some drinks earlier out with friends and said it happens. He even had a dream nights ago the Pats lost so I am rubbing off on him with weird sports stuff to prepare him for things since I am used to the Colts never getting things their way lol.

The only thing that stills bothers me actually is why the Pats got rid of Jimmy G. You could start over with him. I mean Brady is still at a high level but it's fools gold to think in his early 40's he can keep this going. The odds just do not favor a QB his age. It's like building currently around Dirk Nowitzki in the NBA.

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

He was crying because Belichick & Patricia told him he wouldn’t be starting or playing tonight...  I’m shocked they couldn’t find a way to use him at all...  I have never really been impressed with Patricia.  His defense has gotten by recently by timely stops or balls bouncing their way...  

Bend but don’t break...hold them to 3 and Tom gets us 7. Yeah...and how much of the game plan is his and how much is Belichicks

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Bend but don’t break...hold them to 3 and Tom gets us 7. Yeah...and how much of the game plan is his and how much is Belichicks

Exactly. I think McDaniels has much more autonomy than Patricia has ever had.  I can see Belichick jumping in at any moment to make a defensive call.  I wouldn’t be shocked if he let McDaniels do his thing with occasional suggestions... Be interesting to know who’s call it was to bench Butler...  That’s a bold move.  

I expected him to get in on the last drive and get a tip that leads to a pick or something because they always get a timely play...  But Pederson & Foles shredded them all game & Blount & Ajayi both averaged 6 yards per carry...  Wow.

4 minutes ago, Jules said:

I kinda of feel sorry for him. He deserved better.

All right I am off guys.

Great Super Bowl, Pats always deliver one.

Yep...Tom kinda did too...played a great game feel for him too. I’m off to bed as well..happy had a good game to watch. Night y’all.

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

meh 5 in 15 years as well as another 5 appearances, i would say that is dynasty worthy, but as i stated earlier, i will always see it as a tainted dynasty, due to the cheating allegations and the blatent favoritism by the refs at Gillette.

First of all, it's 5 in 16 years, not 15:  2001-2002, when they beat the Rams, to 2016-2017, when they beat the Falcons is 16 seasons.  Second of all, it's another 3 appearances in addition to their 5 championships, not 5:  2 losses to NY, 1 loss to Phi.  So is 5 championships in 16 seasons dynasty worthy?  Not hardly.  Especially when the distribution is 3 in the first 4 years, zero in the next 9 years, and 2 in the next 3 years. 

Boston Celtics: 11 championships in 13 seasons is a dynasty.

UCLA Basketball: 10 national titles in 12 seasons is a dynasty.

Oklahoma St Wresting: 13 national titles in 15 seasons is a dynasty.

Iowa Wrestling: 11 national titles in 12 seasons is a dynasty.

Do not cheapen the meaning of a sports dynasty by including a team that won 5 titles in 16 years as one.  They do not happen often at all, and there are none in place currently.

12 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

First of all, it's 5 in 16 years, not 15:  2001-2002, when they beat the Rams, to 2016-2017, when they beat the Falcons is 16 seasons.  Second of all, it's another 3 appearances in addition to their 5 championships, not 5:  2 losses to NY, 1 loss to Phi.  So is 5 championships in 16 seasons dynasty worthy?  Not hardly.  Especially when the distribution is 3 in the first 4 years, zero in the next 9 years, and 2 in the next 3 years. 

Boston Celtics: 11 championships in 13 seasons is a dynasty.

UCLA Basketball: 10 national titles in 12 seasons is a dynasty.

Oklahoma St Wresting: 13 national titles in 15 seasons is a dynasty.

Iowa Wrestling: 11 national titles in 12 seasons is a dynasty.

Do not cheapen the meaning of a sports dynasty by including a team that won 5 titles in 16 years as one.  They do not happen often at all, and there are none in place currently.

lol your "terms of a dynasty" are way too strict, it takes all the fun out of it. It is just sports after all, most people consider the Steelers 4 in 6 years, Cowboys 3 in 4 years, 49ers 5 from 82-95, Packers 60s, Browns of the 50s as the NFL dynasties. Thats just NFL but everyone has their own opinions...by your standards maybe only the Browns even come close ... 

you also have to consider the difficulty level to win at the sport, it would be my opinion that it is a lot easier to put together consecutive winning seasons in Basketball than Football.

26 minutes ago, Jules said:

The only thing that stills bothers me actually is why the Pats got rid of Jimmy G.

Well, if we are to believe the rumors, it's because Brady wanted him out because Brady said he plans to play until he's 45, and Robert Kraft twisted Belichick's arm and Belichick got furious and... Whatever, it's just a rumor. What do I know.

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

But, if we go by the 'Peyton Manning standard' his numbers are just for his own glorification..

He missed open receivers in the first half and fumbled away his team's last chance..

He's lost 3 Super Bowls..Only 2 in history have lost more.  he has trouble in the biggest game

That standard is unfair but its what Manning was judged by

IF Caldwell hadn't play coward in Super Bowl 46, Manning would have had at least two rings with Colts and probably 3 overall at end of his career. IF we assume Manning careers pawns out like it did after Super Bowl 44, with the neck injury and move to Denver I would still think Denver would be blown out by Seahawks in 48, but they did still win Carolina in 50. 

4 hours ago, dgambill said:

He struggled vs Jags but that doesn’t make sense to change a defense that was finally playing good as a team and then change everyone’s jobs. Pats whole thing is “Do your job!!” Then don’t change their job in the final game of the year and expect it to go well. Malcolm might have gave up some plays but I can’t believe in my heart as much as I wanted Philly to win that he wouldn’t have done something to help.

Oh I didn't know they made the safeties DLinemen, DLinemen to CB, CB to LB, and LB to safeties.

Listening to Golic and Wingo right now,

Mike Golic think Foles outplayed Brady, not just because his team won. He admits Brady has the better stats. But just watching all game long, the Patriots WR's were WIDE open! Hard to miss a guy. Foles had to make incredible throws to squeak one out. 

I'm not trying to add salt to the wounds Pats fans.. but this is the first time I've heard someone call this out. Brady is the most accomplished QB. But his teams scheming\planning is INCREDIBLE..

Anyways good win Eagles

5 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Listening to Golic and Wingo right now,

Mike Golic think Foles outplayed Brady, not just because his team won. He admits Brady has the better stats. But just watching all game long, the Patriots WR's were WIDE open! Hard to miss a guy. Foles had to make incredible throws to squeak one out. 

I'm not trying to add salt to the wounds Pats fans.. but this is the first time I've heard someone call this out. Brady is the most accomplished QB. But his teams scheming\planning is INCREDIBLE..

Anyways good win Eagles

And that offensive scheming and planning is coming to Indy! Things are looking up for the Colts!

On the last play when Brady escaped a sack then his hail mary I thought for certain it would be successful and the Pats would end up a winner in their "magic" fashion. Give all credit to the Philly HC fro gutsy calls. Foles's accuracy was incredible. Rarely did his receivers have to stretch for the ball. One of the most nail biting SBs in history. NE had only one penalty while Philly had six. Brady was his typical professional self in post game talk. Heck of a day.

5 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Oh I didn't know they made the safeties DLinemen, DLinemen to CB, CB to LB, and LB to safeties.

No....but they had safeties covering the slot receiver last night quite a bit. Duron Harmon was doing a ton of coverage on guys I think he had no business covering...and Bademosi starting as opposed to just playing in special sub packages...players were playing roles they weren't capable of. Doing your job means doing the job you've been trained all year for...not changing it in the biggest game of the year and saying ok...now do this job. Bill is still a great coach...but something happened in that organization for him to give up on Butler and it wasn't just Butlers play. They didn't give up on Gillmore after he started the season AWFUL and look he was the best player in the secondary at the end of the season. I just don't think you give up on a player as talented as Butler has been....or even use him in situations like in the Redzone where he is a much more capable player.

9 hours ago, Jules said:

Sorry to the Pats fans here btw who are good posters and good people. It hurts to lose the Super Bowl.

My fiance and love of my life is a Patriots fan (yes it happens lol) but his lifelong obsession is the Red Sox and we do the Celtics thing together. He's actually pretty cool with this and all, he had some drinks earlier out with friends and said it happens. He even had a dream nights ago the Pats lost so I am rubbing off on him with weird sports stuff to prepare him for things since I am used to the Colts never getting things their way lol.

The only thing that stills bothers me actually is why the Pats got rid of Jimmy G. You could start over with him. I mean Brady is still at a high level but it's fools gold to think in his early 40's he can keep this going. The odds just do not favor a QB his age. It's like building currently around Dirk Nowitzki in the NBA.

Patriots are still at least 2 years away from "starting all over."  Brady has to stop being in the MVP race for at least one season first.  There'd be a riot if we tried to ditch him without any actually valid criticism of Brady's own performance to think about.

I mean you guys didn't ditch Peyton until he got hurt.  Why would the Patriots throw away strong contending seasons with Brady before there's any actual sign that he's done or nearly done?  He doesn't have the injury issues that were the beginning of the end for Peyton.  There's no reason to believe he won't be Tom Brady again next season.  Until there is, we kind of have to stay the course.

We're talking about a quarterback who literally carried his team into the Superbowl, and then was a strip sack away from carrying a team who probably didn't even deserve to win the AFC championship game to another Lombardi.  A guy who just set the all time record for yards thrown in a Superbowl game for the second year in a row.  He's 40 yes.  It will end in the next few years yes.  But you would be pulling the plug on a guy who is not just still able to play quarterback at the NFL level, but is still elite.  Still arguably the best quarterback on the planet in fact.  In order to play a guy who had a game and a half of NFL experience and a season ending shoulder injury under his belt at that point.  I can't see many teams doing that.

There was simply no way to ditch Brady while he was still doing that, and keeping Garoppolo would have involved ditching Brady.  

None of us are blind to the fact that we're going to have to take the hit eventually, that age is going to catch up with Tom Terrific sooner or later.  But I think we're kind of committed to riding this thing out at least until we have an actual reason to part ways with TB12.

9 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

I'm sure Brady will get hounded for his performance the way Peyton would get hounded for throwing 400 yards and 3 touchdowns in playoff losses (2007 Chargers)

He honestly played a good game. He missed some throws in the first half but they never punted the whole game. Plus he was missing Cooks...I thought they would throw to the RBs more but really it was just the one strip sack that was the difference in the game. Neither team could stop the opposing qb....you knew Brady was going to make a comeback and he about did. I still wasn't comfortable until I saw 00s on the clock. Fun game....had lots of good friends over...great food....excellent evening. With the exception of the announcers....my one gripe...but even that doesn't taint a good time.

10 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

@GoPats @JimJaime @Flying Elvis @-JJ- @IcEWoLF Do any of you have any idea why Butler didn't play?

Nothing confirmed, but heard rumblings that he may have missed curfew. 

Props to Philly, they played their butts off! Of all the ways this game played out in my head, a track meet is the last thing I thought was going to happen. In the end, they just couldn't get stops. Amazing that both teams combined for ONE punt. One. Give credit where it's due. The Eagles played tough, Foles delivered, and their defense came up with a HUGE play at a HUGE moment. 

This game was funny too, in the sense that it blew up of the things that Brady detractors say... 

"HE RELIES ON HIS DEFENSE!"

(They give up 41 and look awful doing it.)

"VINATIERI SAVED HIM ALL THREE TIMES!" 

(Gostkowski shanks an extra point and misses a FG on a mishandled snap.) 

"THE REFS GAVE BRADY THE GAME!"

(The Ertz call was a good one but the Coleman call seemed very inconsistent with what we've seen all year.)

Can't win 'em all. We're on to 2018. :lol:

It was an amazing game.  New England is a little bit sour today but I think that's going to fade.  We've been on both sides of this thing a few times by now, and this one just plain doesn't hurt anywhere near as much as the 2 to the NYG.

Other than the benching of Butler and the usual number of easy chair referees clogging the forums this morning, the largest number of comments I'm seeing are that it was a great game, and they just wish it had gone differently at the end.

Oh, and full credit to the Eagles for taking away Brady's 2 minute drill.  I don't think any team has ever actually managed to do that to Brady before.  Brady is solid gold in the 2 minute, and the Eagles managed to beat him at his own game.  Brilliant defensive playcalling on the 2 minute defense by the Eagles.

10 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

His defense has gotten by recently with timely stops or balls bouncing their way...  

they have not had a ton of talent the last couple of years

getting rid of both collins and jones was a mistake imo 

10 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

lol your "terms of a dynasty" are way too strict, it takes all the fun out of it. It is just sports after all, most people consider the Steelers 4 in 6 years, Cowboys 3 in 4 years, 49ers 5 from 82-95, Packers 60s, Browns of the 50s as the NFL dynasties. Thats just NFL but everyone has their own opinions...by your standards maybe only the Browns even come close ... 

you also have to consider the difficulty level to win at the sport, it would be my opinion that it is a lot easier to put together consecutive winning seasons in Basketball than Football.

It should be strict.....its a "dynasty."  No need to lower the standards so it's easier to accomplish.  This is the same logic used in horseracing, when people wanted to change the Triple Crown because it was supposedly too hard for horses to reach.  Then American Pharoah won the Triple Crown in 2015.

Philly got away with plenty.  There's an uproar in the Patriots forums about both an illegal pick pay and an illegal formation that was let go, both leading to key touchdowns.

The refs kept their flags in their pockets for tons of stuff on both sides.  It was a close game and they seemed to REALLY not want to be the difference maker. 

As usual, the younger more physical team drew more penalties.  It happens.

Belichick has simultaneously brought success and ruined the Pats. If BB wasn't such a bad GM, they'd have won that game. Image Chandler Jones or Collins playing on that D. I have no idea why he benched Butler. Sure, Butler isn't the best CB in the game, but he's by far better than who was in the game. 

9 minutes ago, George Peterson said:

Philly got away with plenty.  There's an uproar in the Patriots forums about both an illegal pick pay and an illegal formation that was let go, both leading to key touchdowns.

The refs kept their flags in their pockets for tons of stuff on both sides.  It was a close game and they seemed to REALLY not want to be the difference maker. 

As usual, the younger more physical team drew more penalties.  It happens.

gronk pushes off, and they never call holding on the patriots

11 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

Exactly. I think McDaniels has much more autonomy than Patricia has ever had.  I can see Belichick jumping in at any moment to make a defensive call.  I wouldn’t be shocked if he let McDaniels do his thing with occasional suggestions... Be interesting to know who’s call it was to bench Butler...  That’s a bold move.  

I expected him to get in on the last drive and get a tip that leads to a pick or something because they always get a timely play...  But Pederson & Foles shredded them all game & Blount & Ajayi both averaged 6 yards per carry...  Wow.

It was Belichick who decided to bench Butler for sure.

I don't hear anybody talking about this ...

On the last play, how is this most blatant illegal contact not called as a penalty?  Hate to say it, but Pats were robbed of another shot at the Hail Mary.  Just horrible that the refs missed calling this obvious penalty.

Illegal contact 1.jpg

Illegal contact 2.jpg

Illegal contact 3.jpg

44 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

On the last play, how is this most blatant illegal contact not called as a penalty?  Hate to say it, but Pats were robbed of another shot at the Hail Mary.  Just horrible that the refs missed calling this obvious penalty.

Illegal contact 1.jpg

Illegal contact 2.jpg

Illegal contact 3.jpg

It could very well be....but there were a few of those on both sides.  You know Gronk never gets called on offensive penalties.

I think the Officials have been scrutinized all year  (or years) that the Pats always get the benefit of controversial calls. Some may say this is a step in evening the score.  

A few no-calls happened when the Pats played the Jags, that went in favor of the Pats.  To quote several Pats fans after that game.."they were just letting them play". I guess the same could be said for last night. :dunno:   it was a really good game.

31 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Illegal contact 1.jpg

Illegal contact 2.jpg

Illegal contact 3.jpg

Amazing that there was no flag on this. Another blatant Patriots pick play! :)

19 minutes ago, Gramz said:

It could very well be....but there were a few of those on both sides.  You know Gronk never gets called on offensive penalties.

I think the Officials have been scrutinized all year  (or years) that the Pats always get the benefit of controversial calls. Some may say this is a step in evening the score.  

A few no-calls happened when the Pats plays the Jags, that went in favor of the Pats.  To quote several Pats fans after that game.."they were just letting them play". I guess the same could be said for last night. :dunno:   it was a really good game.

Yes it was a great game regardless of who won. Had the Pats won I wouldn't been as happy but going back and dissecting every play serves no purpose at this point. I am glad the refs let the players play without letting the yellow flag determine the game.

Nothing is more satisfying than watching Tom Brady lose another game like this. It's almost as satisfying to watch guys like Skip Bayless get all kinds of butthurt about it. The Patriots cheat and win so much that Belichick said something like "Eagles played a great game offensively. Um, unfortunately we just didn't play our best" lmao

Ok, my guy. You played your best, Philly just played theirs as well and were the better TEAM last night. 

15 hours ago, buffalo34 said:

Woo!

So should I wear my Bills shirt tomorrow or my green collar shirt with black pants (Eagles colors)?

I think you should wear your Brady jersey.  From reading your posts I would say you are his biggest fan!