Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Superman's 2018 offseason mock (1.0)

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

???????????

I think if Mingo makes the roster it's as a pass rushing DE.  The same spot you also have us signing, Smith the DE from Louisville who went to Philly and Sea.

I dont see Mingo as a 4-3 OLB.   I don't think he has the skill set to play that.   He's mostly a one trick pony whose skill is rushing the QB.

You now see him as a 4-3 LB?   I think he gains 5-10 pounds and plays with his hand on the ground.   Probably only situationally, not as a starter. 

Love to get your expanded thoughts here...

Mingo has been undersized for a DE since before he came into the league. I don't see him putting on 5-10 pounds and playing primarily end for us. I could see him playing end situationally, but he's never really shown the ability to be a good pass rusher in the NFL. But he is athletic and has lots of range.

Mingo mostly played Sam for us this year, with plenty of dropping in coverage, setting the edge, and defeating TE blocks. He's at his best in space, I think. And the weakside backer in most 4-3 fronts needs to be able to run and hit. 

I see him as a hybrid, Joker kind of player, in the mold of Jamie Collins and Kyle van Noy. I don't need to pigeonhole him into one specific position, but I do think it would be best to use him off the ball, primarily.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Not really. He played decently for Seattle, but a big part of why I included him is that Ballard reportedly went after him last season. 

I was just kidding but I think that's a little hefty for a guy who might not even be on a roster at the start of the season.

6 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Regardless if we do draft Chubb we will still need depth. Thus, Mingo. IMO he has earned a spot at least on the 90 player camp. Then let him go through the competition for a position.

I think Mingo looked good when he had an opportunity...I hope we keep him , he is getting better..

44 minutes ago, Superman said:

Mingo has been undersized for a DE since before he came into the league. I don't see him putting on 5-10 pounds and playing primarily end for us. I could see him playing end situationally, but he's never really shown the ability to be a good pass rusher in the NFL. But he is athletic and has lots of range.

Mingo mostly played Sam for us this year, with plenty of dropping in coverage, setting the edge, and defeating TE blocks. He's at his best in space, I think. And the weakside backer in most 4-3 fronts needs to be able to run and hit. 

I see him as a hybrid, Joker kind of player, in the mold of Jamie Collins and Kyle van Noy. I don't need to pigeonhole him into one specific position, but I do think it would be best to use him off the ball, primarily.

Interesting....    I watched most games this year, but perhaps not as closely as in years past.   So you maybe right on Mingo.

But the few times I saw him excel he was going forward bending around the edge and hitting someone with the ball..  the QB or the RB.   I didn't see him excel in space.    Not saying you're wrong...   only what I saw and didn't see.    I think you have a good feel for this, so your viewpoint will now be on my radar.

I like the overall direction Superman. The Mcdougald pick up would be nice to have another guy that can play both safety spots and he did a little nickel in Seattle. Targeting guys with positional versatility is critical now. I’ll have to watch some more games on Billy Price.

Digging it for the most part but I think signing two free agent backs is a bit frivolous. I’d replace Justin Hunter with Cody Latimer, wouldn’t go after Marcus Smith (especially at that cost), and I believe we’d still be too weak at coverage linebacker. 

Love the way the Oline would be looking for sure. I would be pretty happy with this offseason. 

20 hours ago, Dustin said:

I was just kidding but I think that's a little hefty for a guy who might not even be on a roster at the start of the season.

It might be. I get the impression they like him in Seattle, and there aren't many pass rushers available. An incentivized deal as probably the way to go. 

2 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

Digging it for the most part but I think signing two free agent backs is a bit frivolous. I’d replace Justin Hunter with Cody Latimer, wouldn’t go after Marcus Smith (especially at that cost), and I believe we’d still be too weak at coverage linebacker. 

Love the way the Oline would be looking for sure. I would be pretty happy with this offseason. 

That's a reasonable adjustment, I just got the impression Latimer won't leave Denver. 

I couldn't address every part of the roster, but I think the linebackers would be faster for sure. Sadly, Edwin Jackson isn't in the picture anymore, but I still think there's enough speed. 

I like your mock pre-season overall, but I would not draft a guard at 2nd round if we can get Andrew Norwell or Pugh at FA. I would give next year mewhort a chance to be a starter guard. If he doesn't perform well or gets injured then i'm all for cutting him and drafting a new Guard in 2019's draft.

I think Hitchens and Fulton would the most likely additions just from their prior relationships.  Both would be sure starters.  Fleming would be awesome as well but I would be surprised if NE let's him leave.  Norwell would be the big get.  Those four alone would make our FA a major success. 

3 hours ago, Luca_Colts said:

I like your mock pre-season overall, but I would not draft a guard at 2nd round if we can get Andrew Norwell or Pugh at FA. I would give next year mewhort a chance to be a starter guard. If he doesn't perform well or gets injured then i'm all for cutting him and drafting a new Guard in 2019's draft.

I can't do that. If we rely on Mewhort for another season, it would be a huge mistake, IMO. He has significant injury history, and there are rumors that he's even considered retiring (not substantiated, but still). 

Beyond the normal positions we often discuss, I think Ballard is going to address DE in FA. The Colts already needed pass rushing help before their likely transition to a 4-3...and now it is even more imperative. Fortunately there is some decent depth in FA at 4-3 DE...however the list is a mix of post-hype, buy-lows and pipedreams...so it's anyone's guess what direction would Ballard take:

Pipedream

Demarcus Lawrence 

Ezekiel Ansah

Buy-low

Trent Murphy

Alex Okafor

Kony Ealy

Aaron Lynch

Post-hype

Dion Jordan

Marcus Smith

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Beyond the normal positions we often discuss, I think Ballard is going to address DE in FA. The Colts already needed pass rushing help before their likely transition to a 4-3...and now it is even more imperative. Fortunately there is some decent depth in FA at 4-3 DE...however the list is a mix of post-hype, buy-lows and pipedreams...so it's anyone's guess what direction would Ballard take:

Pipedream

Demarcus Lawrence 

Ezekiel Ansah

Buy-low

Trent Murphy

Alex Okafor

Kony Ealy

Aaron Lynch

Post-hype

Dion Jordan

Marcus Smith

Talking about DE in FA.   Bleacher Report just posted a list of possible trades that could happen and one is Mo Wilkerson to the Colts for a 6th. rounder.   He is on the outs with the Jets and the 28yr. old was benched the last two games.  They want to get out from under his contract and we are one of a handful of teams that could absorb the hit.  By the sounds of it they could also release him if they couldn't find a partner which would make him available to the whole league with a new contract.  Looks like another Jets DL having problems in the big city. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I can't do that. If we rely on Mewhort for another season, it would be a huge mistake, IMO. He has significant injury history, and there are rumors that he's even considered retiring (not substantiated, but still). 

Thinking about it, I think you might be right. OL should be our #1 priority to try to maintain Luck healthy. If Luck gets injuried one more time there could be a high risk of his not being the same anymore or requesting a trade.

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Talking about DE in FA.   Bleacher Report just posted a list of possible trades that could happen and one is Mo Wilkerson to the Colts for a 6th. rounder.   He is on the outs with the Jets and the 28yr. old was benched the last two games.  They want to get out from under his contract and we are one of a handful of teams that could absorb the hit.  By the sounds of it they could also release him if they couldn't find a partner which would make him available to the whole league with a new contract.  Looks like another Jets DL having problems in the big city. 

He's been a head case since he got paid, and his base salary for 2018 is $17m. He will be cut, and he'll either sign a modest contract with another team, or retire.

In all the ways that Andrew Norwell seems like a prototypical Chris Ballard acquisition, Mo Wilkerson does not.

I imagine that with our recent change @Superman will be making some major adjustments. Somethings will stay the same seems with the defense but those familiar and system fits for the offense will change up. Hard to tell what the offense will look like at this point but I guess you can give a 1.1 version lol.

18 hours ago, dgambill said:

I imagine that with our recent change @Superman will be making some major adjustments. Somethings will stay the same seems with the defense but those familiar and system fits for the offense will change up. Hard to tell what the offense will look like at this point but I guess you can give a 1.1 version lol.

That's the plan. 1.1 will be the "Bleep McDaniels Edition." Maybe early next week...

I would like to see the colts trade down with the Jets...

Jets get # 3 overall

Colts get #6 overall plus both of jets 2nd rounders

Draft: 

1st) Nelson - OG

2nd) Jefferson - LB

2nd) Alex Cappa - OT

2nd) Hughes - CB

I think an offensive line of  Castonzo, Norwell, Kelly, Nelson and Cappa would be pretty darn good and could protect Luck very well from day 1. 

24 minutes ago, Deadpool said:

I would like to see the colts trade down with the Jets...

Jets get # 3 overall

Colts get #6 overall plus both of jets 2nd rounders

Draft: 

1st) Nelson - OG

2nd) Jefferson - LB

2nd) Alex Cappa - OT

2nd) Hughes - CB

I think an offensive line of  Castonzo, Norwell, Kelly, Nelson and Cappa would be pretty darn good and could protect Luck very well from day 1. 

If the Broncos get Cousins, I can pretty much guarantee you they get Nelson at No.5

However, if we trade down to No.6 and get Chubb, that'd be just as good.

I always love your mocks. You always have a guy that you bring to my attention that you make me go and watch tape on. Loving what I see from Fred Warner. Kind of looking like a deep draft for ILB's. A lot of speedy, athletic guys who can play 3 downs. This is the perfect time to be switching to a 4-3.