Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Super Bowl win or Pacers Finals win??

With me it's 50/50 only because the Pacers have never won an NBA Championship. Colts have won one here in Indy = 2006 which was just last decade, Cubs just won a WS as well in 2016 - they have been my favorite Baseball team for over 30 years, but the Pacers haven't given me an NBA Championship in Indy. It's still 50/50 because I want to see Andrew Luck get healthy and become a legend here in Indy and win at least 1 SB.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

The 2004 team is the one that eats me the most. We had a team that could beat any team in the NBA that year.

Ron Artest took that chance at a championship away.

Yeah the Brawl was Bad but I think the 1998 team was the best team we ever had, that is JMO. We had both Davis's and Smits still in his prime + Reggie was still a SuperStar then. That was the closest Michael Jordan ever came to losing in a series when he played a full season since when he won it all in 1991. Jordan never went 7 games and we took the GOAT 7 and him beat in Chicago. I think we would've beat Utah had we won that series, probably in 6 like Chicago did and Reggie would've won MVP of the Finals.

What’s the question?

If I had to choose between the two of who I would want to win a title, I would pick the Pacers since they haven’t won.

Realistically, Colts will win multiple Super Bowls before the Pacers do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MTC said:

What’s the question?

If I had to choose between the two of who I would what to win a title, I would pick the Pacers since they haven’t won.

Realistically, Colts will win multiple Super Bowls before the Pacers do.

I have to agree as long as Simon is unwilling to go over the cap.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It would take lucking into a couple mega star talented players (think PGx2) to add to this team in the draft or something before we could win a championship. Small market....not an NBA hot zone for free agents...and an owner that doesn't typically spend...its always possible but its extremely unlikely. When the NBA was every super star had a team and the talent was spread out sure I'd say Pacers...but now when it takes multiple (probably 3 stars) tag teaming to winning something....just unrealistic to think we land that type of firepower to win it all. We've been close before like others said, 98, I think it was 04, and yes even recently pushing the Heat to 7....sadly the year we made it we had no answer for Kobe and Shaq in their prime...had that been the old Lakers that played Detroit...we get them...not prime Shaq/Kobe though. With Luck...I think we win a SB at some point....it might just be one but it happens....but the Pacers have never won so I would pick them......although I'd rather the Hoosiers win another NC then either....just hope Archie can get us back to relevance it's been so long since I've witnessed sound disciplined basketball from my Hoosiers!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It has very littyto do with HS but with the attitudes of the other owners and/or the fact that few of the megastars want to come to a flyover State 

the only reason LJ is in Cleve is that he hometown kid

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It would take lucking into a couple mega star talented players (think PGx2) to add to this team in the draft or something before we could win a championship. Small market....not an NBA hot zone for free agents...and an owner that doesn't typically spend...its always possible but its extremely unlikely. When the NBA was every super star had a team and the talent was spread out sure I'd say Pacers...but now when it takes multiple (probably 3 stars) tag teaming to winning something....just unrealistic to think we land that type of firepower to win it all. We've been close before like others said, 98, I think it was 04, and yes even recently pushing the Heat to 7....sadly the year we made it we had no answer for Kobe and Shaq in their prime...had that been the old Lakers that played Detroit...we get them...not prime Shaq/Kobe though. With Luck...I think we win a SB at some point....it might just be one but it happens....but the Pacers have never won so I would pick them......although I'd rather the Hoosiers win another NC then either....just hope Archie can get us back to relevance it's been so long since I've witnessed sound disciplined basketball from my Hoosiers!

I was with you until the end

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

It has very littyto do with HS but with the attitudes of the other owners and/or the fact that few of the megastars want to come to a flyover State 

the only reason LJ is in Cleve is that he hometown kid

Cleveland is over the cap by almost 35 million dollars. So the owners who are willing to pay the NBA the luxury money will continue to win championships.

If Simon spent the money the stars would come to Indy IMO.

9 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is one reason I struggle to follow the NBA

Yeah me too. Other than the Pacers I really don't watch the NBA.

IMO it's become somewhat of a circus to me. It's sad when it is front page news on the sports pages over what shoes the players are wearing. I couldn't care less.

10 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah the Brawl was Bad but I think the 1998 team was the best team we ever had, that is JMO. We had both Davis's and Smits still in his prime + Reggie was still a SuperStar then. That was the closest Michael Jordan ever came to losing in a series when he played a full season since when he won it all in 1991. Jordan never went 7 games and we took the GOAT 7 and him beat in Chicago. I think we would've beat Utah had we won that series, probably in 6 like Chicago did and Reggie would've won MVP of the Finals.

I think in game 7vs Bulls Jalen Rose and Reggie fouled out if I remember right..Refs stole that game from us.

2 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I was with you until the end

You UK fans....just can't share any success with the rest of us. Your like the Patriots of college basketball....fans and talent wise.....always there for the final 4....just let us guys have a taste of the good ol days once more!

5 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I think in game 7vs Bulls Jalen Rose and Reggie fouled out if I remember right..Refs stole that game from us.

Rose and Antonio Davis fouled out, you were close. I think Reggie did have 5 Fouls. Reggie actually scored 22 and Jordan had a Bad game. He had like 25 I think and shot lousy. Tony Kukoc killed us that game and their Offensive Rebounding with Rodman won them that game. I cant quite remember but I think we were up 3 when Antonio fouled out with like 5 minutes left.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah me too. Other than the Pacers I really don't watch the NBA.

IMO it's become somewhat of a circus to me. It's sad when it is front page news on the sports pages over what shoes the players are wearing. I couldn't care less.

Yesterday it was Lebron is going talking about going to GS this offseason....I mean that kind of stuff turns fans off big time! Don't get me wrong...when you have very very popular teams like the Celtics and Lakers in the championship I can understand its good for the sport...people love them or hate them but they watch...but this league is mostly unwatchable for almost a majority of the teams...and if all the stars end up on a couple teams...well how do you put butts in seats. I will give the Pacers credit they have done more with less talent than any team I think this year. Honestly if we had 1 more super star on this team (that fit in) we would be a legitiment threat....like if Giannis came to Indy...scary good.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You UK fans....just can't share any success with the rest of us. Your like the Patriots of college basketball....fans and talent wise.....always there for the final 4....just let us guys have a taste of the good ol days once more!

That would be Duke or UConn WBB not UK

Much more concerned with Princeton Community Tigers sports and NDWBB

Bob Knight ruined IU Basketball for me

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yesterday it was Lebron is going talking about going to GS this offseason....I mean that kind of stuff turns fans off big time! Don't get me wrong...when you have very very popular teams like the Celtics and Lakers in the championship I can understand its good for the sport...people love them or hate them but they watch...but this league is mostly unwatchable for almost a majority of the teams...and if all the stars end up on a couple teams...well how do you put butts in seats. I will give the Pacers credit they have done more with less talent than any team I think this year. Honestly if we had 1 more super star on this team (that fit in) we would be a legitiment threat....like if Giannis came to Indy...scary good.

Yeah, that will be two times the Cav fans burn Lebron's jerseys. :)

16 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

AAU basketball ruined basketball for me....Bob Knight had his faults but he built teams with GREAT kids that almost all turned into great men and successful...I was always very proud of our alumn....and he won a TON playing the style of basketball that most Indiana natives recognize and appreciate....haven't seen a whole lot of it except at other in-state universities like Purdue this year (built and look like a veteran Knight team) or those Butler teams under Stevens. Bob Knight recruited the whole country too...but I can't think of many teams that still didn't have a strong Indiana HS ties though. I would love to have that back.

Yes UCONN women is a whole nother story...but UK are like a sweet 16 team on a bad year...and almost a lock for the final 4 every year. Can my Hoosiers at least be one of those other teams again? I just would like them to get back to be a team that contends for the BIG10 title every year and a team you mention in the same sentence again as UK, KU, NC, and Duke.....that's where they used to be...and I wish we could be back there again. Hopefully when Archie actually has his own players and not the mess Crean left him with we will see that feisty, tough, smart IU teams again. But living here in Western Kentucky...trust me...there are a lot of similarities between Pats fans and UK fans....the entitlement and the obnoxiousness...and then don't get me started on all the excuses for past indiscretions. Most fan bases have there very good informed and understanding fans...like you...but the obnoxious masses of BBN and Patriot nation....ughhh its almost unbelievable the stuff that spews out their mouth...and the talk radio....oh well you catch my drift lol.

11 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I am totally the opposite. IU hasn't been the same since they got rid of Bobby Knight. IU was a threat to win it all every season when he was there and everyone feared them. Since he has been gone, IU has been almost irrelevant with the exception of 2001 when Davis took them far but those were Bob's players when they made the Title game. Crean was able to recruit guys like Oladipo and Zeller but couldn't even make a Final 8.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am totally the opposite. IU hasn't been the same since they got rid of Bobby Knight. IU was a threat to win it all every season when he was there and everyone feared them. Since he has been gone, IU has been almost irrelevant with the exception of 2001 when Davis took them far but those were Bob's players when they made the Title game. Crean was able to recruit guys like Oladipo and Zeller but couldn't even make a Final 8.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

AAU basketball ruined basketball for me....Bob Knight had his faults but he built teams with GREAT kids that almost all turned into great men and successful...I was always very proud of our alumn....and he won a TON playing the style of basketball that most Indiana natives recognize and appreciate....haven't seen a whole lot of it except at other in-state universities like Purdue this year (built and look like a veteran Knight team) or those Butler teams under Stevens. Bob Knight recruited the whole country too...but I can't think of many teams that still didn't have a strong Indiana HS ties though. I would love to have that back.

Yes UCONN women is a whole nother story...but UK are like a sweet 16 team on a bad year...and almost a lock for the final 4 every year. Can my Hoosiers at least be one of those other teams again? I just would like them to get back to be a team that contends for the BIG10 title every year and a team you mention in the same sentence again as UK, KU, NC, and Duke.....that's where they used to be...and I wish we could be back there again. Hopefully when Archie actually has his own players and not the mess Crean left him with we will see that feisty, tough, smart IU teams again. But living here in Western Kentucky...trust me...there are a lot of similarities between Pats fans and UK fans....the entitlement and the obnoxiousness...and then don't get me started on all the excuses for past indiscretions. Most fan bases have there very good informed and understanding fans...like you...but the obnoxious masses of BBN and Patriot nation....ughhh its almost unbelievable the stuff that spews out their mouth...and the talk radio....oh well you catch my drift lol.

You grew up around coaches who didn’t act like Tweens

and do not waste your breath in trying to change my view

5 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

No need to waste my breath to change your mind. Bob Knight is a Top 5 Coach ever. Coach K would tell you that and so would any expert. So you can hate him all you want but he was a Great Coach and most of his kids graduated so I win lmao 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

No need to waste my breath to change your mind. Bob Knight is a Top 5 Coach ever. Coach K would tell you that and so would any expert. So you can hate him all you want but he was a Great Coach and most of his kids graduated so I win lmao 

Now doubt Bob Knight was a great coach. No one is saying anything different.

With that said you also have to accept what kind of man he was.  He was a bully to a lot of people. He was also a violent man. You can't blame someone who looks past the coaching aspect in judging him when it was so much of his personality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Now doubt Bob Knight was a great coach. No one is saying anything different.

With that said you also have to accept what kind of man he was.  He was a bully to a lot of people. He was also a violent man. You can't blame someone who looks past the coaching aspect in judging him when it was so much of his personality.

Of course, I never said Bob wasn't a butt head toward some people/players but he won 3 Championships and most of his kids graduated. IU is the last team to go undefeated with Bob in 1976 as well. My main point is toward Princeton was that IU has been irrelevant since Bob has left, he said Bob ruined IU Basketball for him. If ruining Basketball for someone is because a Coach is a Butt Head at times, then oh well. I want to win and see kids graduate - Bob made sure both happened and that is the bottomline with me. Believe me most people agree with me. I have friend that graduated from IU and he quit watching Basketball when Bob got fired, he has a son and his son ended up going to Purdue.

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Oh...I know your a huge UK fan...that's no problem....living in Indiana and being a UK fan is one thing...living in Kentucky and being a fan of anyone else is another....every tom, dick and harry thinks they know something and most never even picked up a ball before. (Although I recognize it can be the same in Indiana but at least every Tom, Dick, and Harry in Indiana actually played lol). But I'm just teasing about UK. The Bob Knight thing....I understand the Man has tarnished himself with his actions etc. I don't attempt to change opinions of the man....but his teams and his players and his ability to coach and get the most out of a team....heck of a motivator and an innovator of the game that many coaches have learned a ton from with his motion offense that he expounded on from Henry Iba and influences of Pete Newell. There is basically no basketball legacy at Indiana without Bob...and yes I grew up around hard nosed coaching. Don't get me wrong I don't just think you can only be successful by yelling and screaming etc...but holding kids accountable...and the team focus...the focus on playing for each other...its still alive in a few places but things are very very different. It's a me first culture. Growing up us kids and most didn't think about playing in the NBA. They dreamed about playing for IU.....maybe leading them to a NC....and in doing so it might open up the opportunities for something else. Now kids grow up dreaming of money and the NBA. They don't think about their fellow teammate and sometimes don't even care if they won or lost. I don't know how many kids playing AAU ball I talk to all they talk about is how many points they scored and who was at the game and most don't even know if they won or lost or if they made their teammates better. So yep...very different times....was it better back then....maybe maybe not...but I sure liked it a whole lot more.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I do not hate him but grew up in the Athletic world(coaches kid) and have seen what destructive behavior in practice and/or games can do to players and a program

It is often not have many wins you have but the type of legacy you leave when your players

2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

I do not hate him but grew up in the Athletic world(coaches kid) and have seen what destructive behavior in practice and/or games can do to players and a program

It is often not have many wins you have but the type of legacy you leave when your players

It's all good, I get where you are coming from. I just disagree regarding IU Basketball is all. Not the same to me with Bob gone. JMO

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Oh...I know your a huge UK fan...that's no problem....living in Indiana and being a UK fan is one thing...living in Kentucky and being a fan of anyone else is another....every tom, dick and harry thinks they know something and most never even picked up a ball before. (Although I recognize it can be the same in Indiana but at least every Tom, Dick, and Harry in Indiana actually played lol). But I'm just teasing about UK. The Bob Knight thing....I understand the Man has tarnished himself with his actions etc. I don't attempt to change opinions of the man....but his teams and his players and his ability to coach and get the most out of a team....heck of a motivator and an innovator of the game that many coaches have learned a ton from with his motion offense that he expounded on from Henry Iba and influences of Pete Newell. There is basically no basketball legacy at Indiana without Bob...and yes I grew up around hard nosed coaching. Don't get me wrong I don't just think you can only be successful by yelling and screaming etc...but holding kids accountable...and the team focus...the focus on playing for each other...its still alive in a few places but things are very very different. It's a me first culture. Growing up us kids and most didn't think about playing in the NBA. They dreamed about playing for IU.....maybe leading them to a NC....and in doing so it might open up the opportunities for something else. Now kids grow up dreaming of money and the NBA. They don't think about their fellow teammate and sometimes don't even care if they won or lost. I don't know how many kids playing AAU ball I talk to all they talk about is how many points they scored and who was at the game and most don't even know if they won or lost or if they made their teammates better. So yep...very different times....was it better back then....maybe maybe not...but I sure liked it a whole lot more.

I hate to tell but I rarely watch a UK game and I always listen to my Tigers

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course, I never said Bob wasn't a butt head toward some people/players but he won 3 Championships and most of his kids graduated. IU is the last team to go undefeated with Bob in 1976 as well. My main point is toward Princeton was that IU has been irrelevant since Bob has left, he said Bob ruined IU Basketball for him. If ruining Basketball for someone is because a Coach is a Butt Head at times, then oh well. I want to win and see kids graduate - Bob made sure both happened and that is the bottomline with me. Believe me most people agree with me. I have friend that graduated from IU and he quit watching Basketball when Bob got fired, he has a son and his son ended up going to Purdue.

IU fell off the map while BK was there because the game changed