Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which WR do you go after??

Which WR should Colts pursue via Free Agency or trade??  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Guys available thru FA or Trade most likely right now..

• Allen Robinson
    • Danny Amendola
    • Jarvis Landry
    • Sammy Watkins
    • Terrelle Pryor
    • Tayvon Austin
    • Dez Bryant
    • Other

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arob is basically a better, younger version of Dez at this stage who cares more about route running. He is the best option by far IMO. 

Paul Richardson would be a sneaky good pickup. I also believe Chester Rogers will be solid in the slot in McDaniels offense. 

I like Moncriefs potential but I question his toughness. He has all the tools but you never see him go beast mode on corners where he just dominates them. It seems to be a mentality issue with him more than anything. 

I would not add Watkins or Dez. I think injuries have impacted both of them and they are declining. Watkins was horrible this year on an excellent Rams offense. 

Pryor has the raw talent but is still learning how to play the position. Also his hands were very shaky when going over the middle in Washington. He was a huge bust for Washington. 

11 minutes ago, BPindy said:

I’d be kind of interested in Martavis Bryant. JuJu has firmly taken his spot on that team and if the organization is a good influence on him, he could thrive here imo

Bryant is one positive drug test from a lifetime ban. He also was a huge distraction to the Steelers this last season.

IMO it wouldn't be worth giving him a contract with those issues.

He is still under contract for 2018.

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'd like Robinson to be our number one WR and play on the outside.   I want a high quality WR with some size.

I'd like TYH to be our number two and be the flanker/slot guy.  Get him away from press coverage.   Call him a 1a.

I'd like to sign WRs in free agency.   I'd prefer to use as many draft picks as possible on defense.    Rookie WRs rarely pay off in a meaningful way.   I want veterans who can step in and help Luck right away.

There are good WRs in free agency.   Let's take advantage of that.

Agree. Get 2 WRs in free agency. And one in the draft.  Go D and O line with the rest of the draft with a RB taken high. Life is good. 

36 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Bryant is one positive drug test from a lifetime ban. He also was a huge distraction to the Steelers this last season.

IMO it wouldn't be worth giving him a contract with those issues.

He is still under contract for 2018.

Yeah I know, and it’s probably just wishful thinking that he would suddenly be a model citizen here. He just has so much potential and would come cheap (because no one is buying him high - no pun intended)

1 hour ago, Solon said:

I'd go with Allen Robinson. Dude's talented as hell. However, I'd rather see us go after Josh Gordon on a cheap 1 year deal. He came back in great shape and performed well considering how terrible Kizer was this year. 

I doubt Browns let Gordon go, or they would have a while ago...Despite all his troubles there would be a line of teams trying to get him, he would be best WR in NFL if he ever could keep his head on straight..

37 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We don't need more midgets we need a big target crief isn't that 

Size has nothing to do with getting receivers who have good hands and run crisp routes. The best receiver in the league Antonio Brown is 5-10.  As far as Moncrief he was Lucks red zone target and has the capabilities to play big and continue to do that.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Size has nothing to do with getting receivers who have good hands and run crisp routes. The best receiver in the league Antonio Brown is 5-10.  As far as Moncrief he was Lucks red zone target and has the capabilities to play big and continue to do that.

Yes size still matters players like Julio and green are great receivers to have. Brown also has Bryant and Juju who are both over 6ft

1 minute ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Yes size still matters players like Julio and green are great receivers to have. Brown also has Bryant and Juju who are both over 6ft

How "big" was Marvin Harrison?  Some of the best receivers in the league have been 5-10 or less. Wes Welker, Emmanuel Sanders, Golden Tate, Julian Edelman, Steve Smith, TY Hilton and Antonio Brown just to name a few off the top of my head.

It makes no difference who the receivers team mates are, they don't get open and make the catches for them. Matter of fact their presence of the field opens up catches for their team mates because they are getting the most attention.

As it stands in the NFL the "big" receivers are the TEs for the teams who have that luxury.

Does the old saying "it's not the size of the dog, but the bite of the dog" come to mind?

47 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

28 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

How "big" was Marvin Harrison?  Some of the best receivers in the league have been 5-10 or less. Wes Welker, Emmanuel Sanders, Golden Tate, Julian Edelman, Steve Smith, TY Hilton and Antonio Brown just to name a few off the top of my head.

It makes no difference who the receivers team mates are, they don't get open and make the catches for them. Matter of fact their presence of the field opens up catches for their team mates because they are getting the most attention.

As it stands in the NFL the "big" receivers are the TEs for the teams who have that luxury.

Does the old saying "it's not the size of the dog, but the bite of the dog" come to mind?

I think the ultimate point is, as my wife would attest, is that size does not matter.

There is a place for WR's who can get open because of their quickness & route running,  Those guys can do things that perhaps a larger WR can't.  One of those guys who fit that description will be vital in the new Colts offense under McDaniels.  Look at their history with smaller guys who can get open quick in space - Welker, Edelman, Amendola.  I heard Kirwan during the broadcast of the Senior Bowl last week talk about Berrios from Miami as someone who fits that description and would be ideal for Indy.    

38 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I think the ultimate point is, as my wife would attest, is that size does not matter.

There is a place for WR's who can get open because of their quickness & route running,  Those guys can do things that perhaps a larger WR can't.  One of those guys who fit that description will be vital in the new Colts offense under McDaniels.  Look at their history with smaller guys who can get open quick in space - Welker, Edelman, Amendola.  I heard Kirwan during the broadcast of the Senior Bowl last week talk about Berrios from Miami as someone who fits that description and would be ideal for Indy.    

I see TY being that guy in McDaniels offense the routs he will prolly be running will more than likely set him up for tons of RAC yards. It's always nice to have someone that can go up and high point a ball in the red zone. I just think the days of TY running deep every play are over.

31 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

I see TY being that guy in McDaniels offense the routs he will prolly be running will more than likely set him up for tons of RAC yards. It's always nice to have someone that can go up and high point a ball in the red zone. I just think the days of TY running deep every play are over.

He never did that anyway.  Not sure what you are watching.

55 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

He never did that anyway.  Not sure what you are watching.

He's always been the deep threat his whole career hell he even did off in the pro bowl this year most his yards were chunk plays sure he gets open underneath but he still was always lucks target down field a lot

20 hours ago, krunk said:

Personally I think Chester Rogers can do everything Amendola can do if not more.

I've been thinking the same thing. Rogers has flashed a lot of talent working in the slot and I believe would benefit greatly from McDaniels' scheme.

17 hours ago, KING. said:

There is no way Chris Ballard will ever sign Dez Bryant.

Absolutely not. Dez is the opposite type of guy that Ballard likes to bring in. Dez would walk in assuming WR1 is his and cause problems when it's not. Ballard doesn't like guys that come in with an ego and disrupt the locker room.

I would go after Robinson. I think he would be a fantastic compliment to TY and would come cheaper than others, due to the injury. Jarvis Landry is REALLY good in the slot, but I think he'll want WR1 money and I don't see him as a WR1. Amendola is too old, injury prone, and doesn't always show up in games. Watkins would be amazing to pair with TY, but I think he'll get a big contract.

I say resign Moncrief to a 1 year deal, sign Robinson. Let them battle it out in camp for WR2 and run with Chester Rogers in the slot.

24 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He's always been the deep threat his whole career hell he even did off in the pro bowl this year most his yards were chunk plays sure he gets open underneath but he still was always lucks target down field a lot

So in other words, he doesn't run deep on every play as you suggested earlier?

58 minutes ago, Shive said:

I've been thinking the same thing. Rogers has flashed a lot of talent working in the slot and I believe would benefit greatly from McDaniels' scheme.

Absolutely not. Dez is the opposite type of guy that Ballard likes to bring in. Dez would walk in assuming WR1 is his and cause problems when it's not. Ballard doesn't like guys that come in with an ego and disrupt the locker room.

I would go after Robinson. I think he would be a fantastic compliment to TY and would come cheaper than others, due to the injury. Jarvis Landry is REALLY good in the slot, but I think he'll want WR1 money and I don't see him as a WR1. Amendola is too old, injury prone, and doesn't always show up in games. Watkins would be amazing to pair with TY, but I think he'll get a big contract.

I say resign Moncrief to a 1 year deal, sign Robinson. Let them battle it out in camp for WR2 and run with Chester Rogers in the slot.

Sammy and Robinson both would be amazing with TY 

14 hours ago, Hoose said:

Agree. Get 2 WRs in free agency. And one in the draft.  Go D and O line with the rest of the draft with a RB taken high. Life is good. 

This is what I want to see as well. Grab a WR1/WR2 and a depth WR in FA...and then draft one to develop (likely on day two).

The Colts have three open spots at WR...and have plenty of money to spend. This combo also affords them the ability to attract most FA WRs...including post-hype guys looking to rebuild value or buy-low vets who get cut. Ballard preaches competition, but if you are a WR that signs with the Colts, there is a very good chance you are getting targets on Sunday.

I really like ARob...he's a legit WR1 if healthy...and he's young (Colts can build around him). After that, I wouldn't mind getting a sure-handed WR. I am very interested in seeing if Sanders gets let go from DEN. I would love to put him at slot for a couple seasons.

Then in the draft, I think there is going to be a very strong group of WRs available on day two...and I want Ballard to grab one to develop. Interestingly, Hilton has a $15M cap hit after next season...with only $2M in dead cap. Just saying...it would be nice to have somone developing.

15 hours ago, BPindy said:

I’d be kind of interested in Martavis Bryant. JuJu has firmly taken his spot on that team and if the organization is a good influence on him, he could thrive here imo

If we could get Martavious Bryant for a bargain,say a 5th round pick, it is definitely a risk worth taking...He has #1 WR potential,  and if he does mess up we really aren't losing much..

30 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Sure sprinkle in a few of his underneath plays I forgot everythijng is taken so damn literally on this board 

A poorly conceived point deserves to be questioned.  Even if obvious hyperbole, the notion that all he does in run deep routes is simply nonsense.

9 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

If we could get Bryant for a bargain,say a 5th round pick, it is definitely a risk worth taking...He has #1 WR potential,  and if he does mess up we really aren't losing much..

I keep coming back to something that Ballard has said repeatedly - "you can't buy a locker room."  

Bryant's antics along with his cost and declining production to me means he that the chances he ends up in Indy are somewhere between slim and none.  

There's a real good chance that Watkins and Allen Robinson get tagged. I think the best guy would be Landry, but I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in a couple of low-progile guys that may fit the system.

You see the receivers in New England right now. I could definitely see us bringing in someone like John Brown or Maquise Lee.

If it were me, I would take Robinson above the rest. He gives us a big body on the outside that is a proven weapon. Some concerns about his durability after last year, but overall, I think he is a great player. If we were able to get him I would resign Moncrief on a decent deal and that would give you a solid group at WR. This would also allow TY to operate out of the slot more, which he has been one of the best in the NFL at doing.

32 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

I keep coming back to something that Ballard has said repeatedly - "you can't buy a locker room."  

Bryant's antics along with his cost and declining production to me means he that the chances he ends up in Indy are somewhere between slim and none.  

I was talking about Martavious Bryant...I think Ballard is more flexible on that than Grigson ever would be...He wouldn't do it on a whim without due diligence as far as talking to player and people who know him well..As far as Dez he is only 29, and in my opinion is still a very good player, especially as a red zone/ 3rd down possession type big bodied WR we currently don't have, and he isn't in risk of long-term suspension for drugs like Martavious..I actually like Dez's fire and passion and think we desperately need a few guys like that..I think Dez would do good in the right situation and culture like we are building here..

33 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Patriots take chances on character risk guys often...Sometimes it works, sometimes not..Examples recently would be Talib, Blount, Bennett...They have brought in guys like Moss, Haynesworth, Hernandez, Chad Johnson etc, etc...McDaniel's is coming from that program, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be a possibility he shares similar philosophies as Belichik on personnel ..If McDaniels tells Ballard he thinks he can win with a certain guy I'm sure Ballard would at least listen..

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I agree. One key to the Pats' quick throw offense has been the Edelman, Amendola types who use quickness and football IQ to flash open quickly. I'm not sure if Chester Rogers fits the bill or not. I think JM will want a sure fire slot receiver to implement his offense.

36 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

I was talking about Martavious Bryant...I think Ballard is more flexible on that than Grigson ever would be...He wouldn't do it on a whim without due diligence as far as talking to player and people who know him well..As far as Dez he is only 29, and in my opinion is still a very good player, especially as a red zone/ 3rd down possession type big bodied WR we currently don't have, and he isn't in risk of long-term suspension for drugs like Martavious..I actually like Dez's fire and passion and think we desperately need a few guys like that..I think Dez would do good in the right situation and culture like we are building here..

My mistake.  I assumed Dez.

Still disagree.  I can't stand the fact that Dez Bryant's antics are couched under the "fire and passion" category.  Same with Antonio Brown.  You can have the passion to win without being a complete jacka$$ about it.  

30 minutes ago, jshipp23 said:

Patriots take chances on character risk guys often...Sometimes it works, sometimes not..Examples recently would be Talib, Blount, Bennett...They have brought in guys like Moss, Haynesworth, Hernandez, Chad Johnson etc, etc...McDaniel's is coming from that program, so I see no reason why it wouldn't be a possibility he shares similar philosophies as Belichik on personnel ..If McDaniels tells Ballard he thinks he can win with a certain guy I'm sure Ballard would at least listen..

I think it goes without saying the Colts don't have the culture right now that New England does.  

But your point is fair - just don't see it the same way right now.

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

My mistake.  I assumed Dez.

Still disagree.  I can't stand the fact that Dez Bryant's antics are couched under the "fire and passion" category.  Same with Antonio Brown.  You can have the passion to win without being a complete jacka$$ about it.  

To be fair to Dez, I think he has simmered down and matured in that area last few years..Hasn't made much noise publicly, and to be honest, he could have because Dak misses him a lot..Many throws to him are uncatchable..I think he had 6 drops this year on all his targets..

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

That is your top 5 of availalbe FA WRs?

Gee, i thought it was top receivers for us to go after.
I discount Robinson being available.
No interest in Landry at his price or in Watkins.
 I'll take P Richardson and Alb Wilson. We should be able to get both for what we pay TY.
And Amendola if available.
Dump TY to Clev for pick 33 & 125

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I'll take P Richardson and Alb Wilson. We should be able to get both for what we pay TY.

Why would you dump the only big play threat we have???

4 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

I like Sanders if he becomes available.