Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which WR do you go after??

Which WR should Colts pursue via Free Agency or trade??  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Guys available thru FA or Trade most likely right now..

• Allen Robinson
    • Danny Amendola
    • Jarvis Landry
    • Sammy Watkins
    • Terrelle Pryor
    • Tayvon Austin
    • Dez Bryant
    • Other

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted for Robinson, but if we re-sign Moncrief then I would go for a Amendola player or true slot guy.  Amendola would be far less than Landry.  I highly doubt that Ballard wants 2 WR's to have long term contracts making 10+ mil a piece.  It doesn't make sense to me at all anyways. 

Landry is who I would like to see in the horseshoe. As far as drafting a WR it normally takes a year or two before they become accustom to the NFL. Might as well re sign Moncrief just because if the familiarity Luck has in him. After all he was Lucks go to guy in the red zone and hopefully a change in the offensive scheme would bring more catches.

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I voted for Robinson, but if we re-sign Moncrief then I would go for a Amendola player or true slot guy.  Amendola would be far less than Landry.  I highly doubt that Ballard wants 2 WR's to have long term contracts making 10+ mil a piece.  It doesn't make sense to me at all anyways. 

I would like to see Moncrief in McDaniel's offense with healthy luck if he comes cheap enough..If the Cowboys put Dez Bryant on the block to cut salary cap I would love to see him with Luck and TY if we can get him for a 4th, or possibly a 3rd rd pick...

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

Landry is who I would like to see in the horseshoe. As far as drafting a WR it normally takes a year or two before they become accustom to the NFL. Might as well re sign Moncrief just because if the familiarity Luck has in him. After all he was Lucks go to guy in the red zone and hopefully a change in the offensive scheme would bring more catches.

Yep..I voted Landry too..I would resign Moncreif and go Landry..I would put in fliers to Cowboys and Rams on Bryant and Austin as well...Maybe we can strike gold in a trade if it doesn't cost too much..

7 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

If you could get Dez for cheap I'd jump all over that but if not I'll say Watkins or Robinson I want a big guy to compliment TY

Yeah, Cowboys have salary cap issues and Dez doesn't play well with Dak Prescott..Already been smoke on espn about Cowboys moving on from Dez..I love Bryant, the dude has a lot of juice left if he gets a good QB to get him the ball..I think his decline is more about not having Romo than anything else..

I'd want no part of Dez.

It would be prudent to re-sign Donte to a one-year prove it deal as he and Luck have very good chemistry.  

With TY and Moncrieff in the fold the Colts might look to add a cost effective option such as Marqise Lee, along with acquiring an additional piece thru the draft.

Terrelle Pryor or Martavis Bryant could be intriguing options if we go away from Moncrieff.

1 hour ago, jshipp23 said:

Colts need a slot WR and possibly an outside guy if we do not choose to keep Moncrief, and don't view Rogers as a #2..We could sign available free agents, seek a trade if price is right, or even draft 1 early which I don't favor..

Amendola if we let Moncrief walk low price guy and excellent slot receiver and he knows the system.

15 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Amendola if we let Moncrief walk low price guy and excellent slot receiver and he knows the system.

I definitely wouldn't mind Amendola especially because of familiarity with system...My only issue with him is he seems to get injured a lot, is an older player who has taken many big hits..Tons of options at wr, should be the easiest hole to fill..We will be able to get a good player for sure..

Edited by jshipp23

12 minutes ago, krunk said:

Personally I think Chester Rogers can do everything Amendola can do if not more.  Maybe you can make an argument that we need a Welker type to go along with Rogers.   Just my opinion of course.

I think scheme changes everything here. I believe the WR needs can be address in the draft along with resigning Donte I think you can find Chester Rogers as USFA or in the 6/7 rounds of the draft. I think the WR position is one of the easiest roster positions for solidify with the new regime coming in.

31 minutes ago, krunk said:

I can't see Dez and Ty on the same team.   Dez has to be the #1 receiver, that's his mentality.   Can't see him playing second fiddle to TY or vise versa.

You could be right.. I think they would be a great combo though...2 completely different skill sets that would compliment each other, and create opportunities for both depending on how defenses try and play us.. 

2 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

I definitely wouldn't mind Amendola especially because of familiarity with system...My only issue with him is he seems to get injured a lot, is an older player who has taken many big hits..Tons of options at wr, should be the easiest hole to fill..We will be able to get a good player for sure..

Ya that is a major concern he is 32 years old too.

2 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

1. Albert Wilson  KC
2. Amendola
3. Jaron Brown AZ

4. Paul Richardson Sea

5.Taylor Gabriel Atl

22. Moncrief

I too have been thinking Albert Wilson could be a target. But as a #4 WR option, assuming target a legit #2 (or #1 depending on how you view TY).

I'd like Robinson to be our number one WR and play on the outside.   I want a high quality WR with some size.

I'd like TYH to be our number two and be the flanker/slot guy.  Get him away from press coverage.   Call him a 1a.

I'd like to sign WRs in free agency.   I'd prefer to use as many draft picks as possible on defense.    Rookie WRs rarely pay off in a meaningful way.   I want veterans who can step in and help Luck right away.

There are good WRs in free agency.   Let's take advantage of that.

5 hours ago, jshipp23 said:

If the Cowboys put Dez Bryant on the block to cut salary cap I would love to see him with Luck and TY

Really? You actually want Dez? He can't catch consistently & his route tree capabilities are severely lacking. He can't even go up & get the ball out of the air anymore fighting a DB for it. No thank you. 

Is this my Dallas hatred talking? Maybe. Sorry JS23, you know your stuff, but I respectfully disagree with you on that one. Bryant is done except maybe in Cleveland or Cincy. JMO. 

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

For what it's worth....

Danny Amenda is already 32.    He'll be 33 in the middle of next season.   So if we offer, I hope it's an appropriate contract.

I know a lot of people may slam me, which is fine, but I chose Danny in JS23's survey because he can do so much--Special Teams, block on running plays, productive in the slot, & just when I forget about the little dude he makes a miraculous TD in the end zone. 

Plus, unlike Sammy Watkins, Amendola is rarely hurt or nicked up. Danny is usually available week in; week out. 

4 hours ago, krunk said:

Personally I think Chester Rogers can do everything Amendola can do if not more.  Maybe you can make an argument that we need a Welker type to go along with Rogers.   Just my opinion of course.

I trust your judgement krunk. You're probably right. McDaniels can probably make plays like this 1 commonplace in INDY. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000864817/Chester-Rogers-hauls-in-touch-catch-with-Barry-Church-all-over-him

You definitely know your football as well brother. 

8 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I trust your judgement krunk. You're probably right. McDaniels can probably make plays like this 1 commonplace in INDY. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000864817/Chester-Rogers-hauls-in-touch-catch-with-Barry-Church-all-over-him

You definitely know your football as well brother. 

Preciate that SW1!   Luck was starting get a small comfort level with Chester before he left. Jacoby was going to him more as well.   I expect him to look even better in his third year and of course the benefit of #12 being back.

2 hours ago, Boiler_Colt said:

I too have been thinking Albert Wilson could be a target. But as a #4 WR option, assuming target a legit #2 (or #1 depending on how you view TY).

Ballard will get McDaniels 2 excellent Jet receivers this off season, probably one in the draft, to build his offense with.
They need to add a taller, blocking Red Zone guy. Please not crief.

6 minutes ago, krunk said:

Preciate that SW1!   Luck was starting get a small comfort level with Chester before he left. Jacoby was going to him more as well.   I expect him to look even better in his third year and of course the benefit of #12 being back.

Anytime krunk. Also, once in awhile, I need to be reminded don't reinvent the wheel if it's not necessary. Meaning use the quality on the roster we already have. Thanks for that reminder! 

Plus, Rogers is 6 ft 1 in tall vs Amendola at 5 ft 11 in tall a huge difference when Luck is under fire & doesn't have to be pinpoint accurate with his throws to Chester. Okay, you have officially talked me off the let's go after Danny ledge. LOL! 

I can admit when superior wisdom has won the day. 

15 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Anytime krunk. Also, once in awhile, I need to be reminded don't reinvent the wheel if it's not necessary. Meaning use the quality on the roster we already have. Thanks for that reminder! 

Plus, Rogers is 6 ft 1 in tall vs Amendola at 5 ft 11 in tall a huge difference when Luck is under fire & doesn't have to be pinpoint accurate with his throws to Chester. Okay, you have officially talked me off the let's go after Danny ledge. LOL! 

I can admit when superior wisdom has won the day. 

I think Chester is a great fit for the new offense.   He's got respectable speed, great hands and he knows how to get open.  And he has pretty good run after the catch ability for all those little crossing routes and stuff Mcdaniels likes to do where the receiver gets hit in stride in a short area and has to use their wheels to pick up big chunks.   Chester to me checks all of those boxes.

I chose Robinson, but I'm starting to flip flop on signing any free agent receivers. I don't think Luck needs one, and I don't think McDaniels needs one. In the McDaniels offense, football IQ is the most important trait, and that is something you don't really need to splurge in free agency on. In Luck's case, the most important thing seems to be building up a rapport together. His favorite targets have all been guys he's grown with. Going out and getting Heyward-Bey, Nicks, and Andre Johnson did not go the way we hoped. Let's just bring in some undrafted college Lacrosse player and let him grow with Luck. 

17 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I chose Robinson, but I'm starting to flip flop on signing any free agent receivers. I don't think Luck needs one, and I don't think McDaniels needs one. In the McDaniels offense, football IQ is the most important trait, and that is something you don't really need to splurge in free agency on. In Luck's case, the most important thing seems to be building up a rapport together. His favorite targets have all been guys he's grown with. Going out and getting Heyward-Bey, Nicks, and Andre Johnson did not go the way we hoped. Let's just bring in some undrafted college Lacrosse player and let him grow with Luck. 

Valid points 

23 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

I’d be fine with Robinson. Re-sign Moncrief to a 1 year “show me” deal. Then you can have your pick of good slot guys in the draft that test well in the 3-cone and interviews. If you can get Emmanuel Sanders or Demaryius Thomas on the cheap if one of them is released, that’d help too.

Use as much FA money on OL and pass rush, IMO.

35 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think Chester is a great fit for the new offense.   He's got respectable speed, great hands and he knows how to get open.  And he has pretty good run after the catch ability for all those little crossing routes and stuff Mcdaniels likes to do where the receiver gets hit in stride in a short area and has to use their wheels to pick up big chunks.   Chester to me checks all of those boxes.

I like what you said about Rogers crossing routes because he's not afraid to take a hit & I can't remember him loosing the football after contact. And like you said before if that wr was successful under Jacoby, he'll definitely shine under a new & improved Luck. Uh huh. He's a swiss army knife receiver that Josh will salivate over. An excellent point. 

33 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Going out and getting Heyward-Bey, Nicks, and Andre Johnson did not go the way we hoped.

You can say that again Peytonator. It always bothers me when WR go somewhere else & have even minor success--DHB in Pittsburgh; WR Phillip Dorsett now in NE because it means our coaching staff from a previous regime dropped the ball. 

Okay sure, some of the problem falls on the player themselves, but when guys don't pan out; it's either a draft breakdown or an instructional breakdown let's be honest.