Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Smith Officially Traded to Washington Redskins [Merge]

LucasOilStadium

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

jacksonville isnt overflowing with cap space, but they have enough to go after cousins if they make a few moves first.  i think the defense is mostly safe, but they might have to let hurns go and draft his replacement.  

denver has space, but they need oline too

For some reason everyone is sleeping on them even tho shefter said they will look at getting him or Smith. Well Smith is off the table now so they will go after cousins. Plus no team is closer to a SB then them they almost took down the evil empire with Blake Bortles! Lol

12 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Damn lol

If I got right information (current Year), it's hard to determine sometimes. Still checking...

But I believe it to be correct, and still not sure, but do not feel it is reflected in salary cap sites like OTC, and maybe others.

It also illustrate just small sampling of the 'little stuff' that becomes so important that we typical fans often do not account for in our full forest view of things that happen in the NFL.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

jacksonville isnt overflowing with cap space, but they have enough to go after cousins if they make a few moves first.  i think the defense is mostly safe, but they might have to let hurns go and draft his replacement.  

denver has space, but they need oline too

50 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

For some reason everyone is sleeping on them even tho shefter said they will look at getting him or Smith. Well Smith is off the table now so they will go after cousins. Plus no team is closer to a SB then them they almost took down the evil empire with Blake Bortles! Lol

Jax might have more cap room than folks think, they will add almost 40 million more in march when carryover cap gets figured in; IF the cap sites aren't trying to figur ethis in already.   And, if (but this is a big if) Blake Bortles is medically cleared before 3/14/2018, Jags can cut him and save another 19 million.

https://twitter.com/NFLPA/status/821764094596263937/photo/1

I have seen some sites that try to figure in carryover, but their numbers differ a lot from the NFLPA numbers.  It's frustrating to really try to dial in the true numbers.

3 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Am I the only one who thinks Kirk Cousins and Alex Smith aren't anyone special? I mean, they are serviceable, no doubt. But this has got to be money related somehow?

the chiefs were dead last in cap space before they made this move

it reminded me of an nba like trade.  move a large expiring contract for something, rather than let him walk for nothing next year

• 21isSuperman changed the title to Alex Smith Officially Traded to Washington Redskins [Merge]

C2atC_PUUAErqs4.jpg:large

I'm not sure exactly how all of this works with the salary cap but if I understand it correctly both the Browns and the 49's will have around $150 million in cap space. That's a ton of money to turn losers into winners overnight. If I understand it right then that means the Colts will have $85-90 million in cap space with the rollover money. This could be a very interesting offseason. 

(Just a side note if we do have this much cap space then there is no excuse for not bringing Adam Vinateri back next year)

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because things had soured so badly between the Skins and Cousins that Washington had no desire to pay Cousins the kind of money he was asking for.

Cousins will sign a very good contract with another team,  but what he wanted most,  was to get out of DC.    And now, he has....

The problem I have is not the trade but the signing of a 33 YO “mobile WCO” QB to a 4 year 24 Million contract 

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

C2atC_PUUAErqs4.jpg:large

I'm not sure exactly how all of this works with the salary cap but if I understand it correctly both the Browns and the 49's will have around $150 million in cap space. That's a ton of money to turn losers into winners overnight. If I understand it right then that means the Colts will have $85-90 million in cap space with the rollover money. This could be a very interesting offseason. 

(Just a side note if we do have this much cap space then there is no excuse for not bringing Adam Vinateri back next year)

well Jacksonville doesnt have a lot of high dollar FAs this year but have a lot of their big name/star players entering their last years of their contracts so a lot of that may roll over but get used for extensions.  The Colts only have maybe 2-3 big contracted players either entering FA or entering their last year under contract. So the next two years look pretty good for us. That said, there are a LOT of teams with 50 million PLUS in cap space, this is gonna lead to a lot of overpaying for players. 

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

They would have to clear quite a bit of money. They only have 28 million in cap space.

The word is they are going to release Demaryius Thomas or Emmanuel Sanders.

As far as Jaguars, they release Bortles and can re-work 1 or 2 existing players tops to get the room to sign Cousins, IMO. Jags have a better shot than I thought.

I kinda doubt the Jags even go after Cousins. They could change their mind but the narrative coming out of there recently has been that they want to roll with Bortles for another year. And it's not like Cousins hitting the market is too much of a surprise, so I figure they'd stick to their plan.

Unless they're just saying that trying to put confidence in Bortles in case they miss out.

18 minutes ago, chad72 said:

As far as Jaguars, they release Bortles and can re-work 1 or 2 existing players tops to get the room to sign Cousins, IMO. Jags have a better shot than I thought.

Off topic but you think if either Thomas or Sanders is cut loose could help the Colts?  Those names haven't been brought up yet.

The repercussions from this trade are going to be far reaching and will have a huge impact on FA and what happens to teams draft plans.  The interesting thing to me is this all has been worked out far in advance of when it could be finalized.  Smith has his new contract all ready to go.  It shows us there is nothing stopping teams from trading players before they could make it official as long as the trading partners and sometimes the players agreeing to move with reworked contracts or extensions.   A  major trade this early could open up the possibility of a few more happening.     For whatever reason a team with cap problems might be interested in something like this in an effort to receive something for a player who they might be forced to release and the acquiring team might be willing to offer a pick in return for not having to compete with other teams for his services.  Lawrence, Norwell, Landry come to mind.  Just a thought but it was interesting how this trade was put in motion and completed so early.  

9 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I kinda doubt the Jags even go after Cousins. They could change their mind but the narrative coming out of there recently has been that they want to roll with Bortles for another year. And it's not like Cousins hitting the market is too much of a surprise, so I figure they'd stick to their plan.

Unless they're just saying that trying to put confidence in Bortles in case they miss out.

Where did you hear this? shefter even tweeted that the jags will move on form bortles if they can get smith or cousins 

48 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Bortles has/had wrist surgery. His 5th year option is guaranteed for injury. Either they keep him or trade him.

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Where did you hear this? shefter even tweeted that the jags will move on form bortles if they can get smith or cousins 

Rap isn't stating it as fact or anything, and I did see what Schefter said, but I figured Schefty might just be speculating. Like his whole McDaniels/Tennesse statements that sounded really definitive but turned out to be a whole lot of nothing. Some Jags fans also thought he could just be speculating in these comments.

I could be totally wrong and they could go after Cousins.

The lack of respect here for Alex Smith surprises me. If the 49'ers and Jim Harbaugh had not kicked him to the curb, I sense that their franchise would have played out very different over the last 5 years. Here is an article at that time...

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/8691877/alex-smith-san-francisco-49ers-wondering-how-lost-starting-job

Alex Smith will likely play another 5 years in the league and do very well. He is getting paid for a reason. 

4 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Am I the only one who thinks Kirk Cousins and Alex Smith aren't anyone special? I mean, they are serviceable, no doubt. But this has got to be money related somehow?

To me they're essentially the same guy. Middle of the road type guys. Good for QB starved teams, but not for spoiled franchises(like us).

I definitely wouldn't be singing in the streets if he somehow signed here for 25+M annually if we were in a position that we needed to go after him.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Off topic but you think if either Thomas or Sanders is cut loose could help the Colts?  Those names haven't been brought up yet.

I brought it up when @dgambill started a thread about which FA WR would you want. I told him that DT could be released but since he was not officially a FA, he couldn't be brought up technically in conversations.

But yes, Sanders in a heartbeat because that dude plays bigger than he is and would get open better than most of our WRs here. DT would also be helpful if he gets the leadership he covets with any QB. Even Tebow was a leader and DT did OK with him, and took off with Peyton. DT still has a high floor plus he is a better red zone weapon than most of our wide outs. His ceiling is what we would have to maximize if we get him on the cheap.

However, Elway wouldn't want Cousins to have the same depleted WR corps like he did at Washington. So, we will have to wait and see if Elway can pull a rabbit out of a hat and keep both WRs and sign Cousins, which I really doubt. 

2 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

If the Broncos have to release Thomas and Sanders to sign Cousins does he really want to go there with his 2 best WR's gone? Why sign the QB if you have no one to throw it to? I will say that I'm not the most familiar with Denver's lineup so if they have better receivers then I could understand it better.

I don't think they release both, they probably release the more expensive DT, IMO, and re-structure other contracts since the defensive players will be on board to get Cousins and might be willing to re-structure.

1. Menelik Watson = saves 6.1M$ (high chance of being cut)
  2. Talib = most probable as he has the most value of all via trade = saves 11M$ in 2018 with dead cap of $1mil.
  3. Sanders = less stats (yards, TDs, snap%) than DT, potential for lower trade = saves 5.5M$
  4. DT = more productive than Sanders, has produced big time numbers under a better QB = saves 7.6 M$
  5. CJ = most productive offensive player in 2017 (1.200 + total yards, 1 lost fumble): cap hit #23 in the NFL despite having a top 10 season, but will have the 12th highest cap hit for RB in 2018 (before any other RB contracts are done, 1st round drafted player will cost more than him) = saves 4.5M$
  6. Domata Peko = 3.7M saved

I am thinking Watson, Talib, DT, and Peko are gone - saving the Broncos 6.1 + 10 + 7.6 + 3.7 about $26 plus million easily. Siemian, Osweiler are probably gone too. Talib and DT are their biggest hits and are most likely gone, that is how it is going to go down, in all likelihood.

Out goes Malcolm Butler and in comes Talib for the Patriots, I can see that happening from a distance. :(

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bad move IMO. They also gave up a 2018 3rd Round Draft Pick as well. Cousins is a better QB and younger. Smith cant win a Playoff game to save his life. Smith doesn't suck but he isn't a Top 10 QB in the league either.

That's what I love about you man. You always cut through the noise & pinpoint the central flaw. Bingo! 

7 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Has Dan Snyder ever made a good move? He has turned Washington into a mediocre joke.

I know right? LOL! Even when he signed Prime Time he was closer to the end of his career than the beginning. 

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

Whoa, if Cousins is a Jag next yr. That made Luck's job even harder. He can do it, be we can't afford to take them for granted anymore or view Jacksonville as a division victory moving forward.  

I think Cousins is going to go to the Broncos.  I don't think he'll go to the Jags.  I think Bortles will be the Jags QB in 2018 unless a trade is made.  As for the Alex Smith deal, it shocked the crap out of me.  I knew he was going to get traded but didn't think it would be Washington.  I am sure he'll do well there.  It'll be interesting to see what Mahomes does in KC. 

ALL I know is those poor Broncos QBs...god forbid they don’t land a starter in the draft or free agency with how bad their players have abandoned them. All this talk about what they could do with Cousins and nothing about Lynch or Simeon....that’s a gut punch your teammates have no faith in you.

8 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The problem I have is not the trade but the signing of a 33 YO “mobile WCO” QB to a 4 year 24 Million contract 

There was compromise at both ends.

Smith is willing to take a shorter contract than Cousins would...    and,  at an amount LESS than Cousins wanted.

Smith wins because he got more money per year than most teams might have been willing to give him.    So, a bit of a trade-off.

Smith has held up well...    I think he's pretty much healthy and he's very smart.    He graduated from Utah in 2.5 years. NOT a typo.   And he's been getting better as he's gotten older.    I think NFL execs value him more than fans do.

Washington paid full price to get Smith beyond the contract.   Fuller and a 3 is a full price payment.     

If it seems too much,  there is this thought.....   I can't begin to tell you the number of stories I've read for years now that basically includes some NFL exec saying this....  do what you have to do to get the QB you want...   because if you don't have the a good QB you can win with,  then nothing else really matters.   So if you have to overpay some,  then do it.   If you get the right guy,  then in the long run it will be worth it.

2 hours ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

I think Cousins is going to go to the Broncos.  I don't think he'll go to the Jags.  I think Bortles will be the Jags QB in 2018 unless a trade is made. 

God, I hope you are a prophet BCF1. I certainly have no desire to face "you like that" in a Florida uniform inside our division. Forget that. Actually, Cousins to Denver makes sense, since Mile High's defense is still really good & their remaining QBs are nothing to fear at all. 

Please, please, please John Elway sign Kirk. I'd really like that personally. 

"Adam Schefter and Chris Mortensen also reported that Smith would sign a four-year extension with the Redskins, averaging $23.5 million per year with $71 million in guaranteed money."

Holy moly man! I can see why Archie & Olivia Manning groomed their sons to play ball. My kind of retirement nest egg. 

Alex isn't worth that salary at all. I know; I know. It was his turn to get paid & Dan Synder was desperate.