Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Smith Officially Traded to Washington Redskins [Merge]

LucasOilStadium

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Because things had soured so badly between the Skins and Cousins that Washington had no desire to pay Cousins the kind of money he was asking for.

Cousins will sign a very good contract with another team,  but what he wanted most,  was to get out of DC.    And now, he has....

Happy Birthday NCF! Was gone most of the day and just read it was your Birthday. Hope you had a great day!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think he (Kirk) lands in Cleveland and then they take Barkley #1 overall. That’s a ton of money. I get they are moving on (even if it’s a downgrade) but that money is insane. Had they offered Cousins that a couple years ago he would be locked up. Crazy! If I’m Dorsey I don’t let Cousins leave without signing...straight up Deandre Jordan lock him in a room stuff here.

Cousins doesn't want to be in Cleveland if the reports are true.

The Chiefs destroyed the Redskins in this trade. Smith for a 3rd was fine, but losing Kendall Fuller might be the worst trade I've seen in a long time. He's a stud slot corner, and that is something that is very valuable in today's NFL. He's also only 22 years old, and now the Chiefs have a very dangerous secondary. Bruce Allen is one of the most inept GM's in any sport.

Just now, esmort said:

Cousins doesn't want to be in Cleveland if the reports are true.

Sure...I’d say that too if I wanna drive up my asking price. Maybe he won’t but they will be one of the few teams that can afford him. Denver may have enough to squeeze him in but at what cost in the future? Alex Smith just screwed beat his old division rival one last time by signing that huge contract. It would probably cost Denver over $30 mill a year to sign him now...just can’t see it.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Sure...I’d say that too if I wanna drive up my asking price. Maybe he won’t but they will be one of the few teams that can afford him. Denver may have enough to squeeze him in but at what cost in the future? Alex Smith just screwed beat his old division rival one last time by signing that huge contract. It would probably cost Denver over $30 mill a year to sign him now...just can’t see it.

Maybe .. but I think players see Cleveland as toxic (even more so than usual).  Dorsey who brought Alex Smith to KC originally could not even get him to come there. Both Smith and Cousins basically said they weren't interested in Cleveland.

I think Cleveland has to goto the 2nd or third tier FA QB for year or two and draft one this year ... thats what happens when you go 1-31 and keep the coach.

6 minutes ago, esmort said:

Maybe .. but I think players see Cleveland as toxic (even more so than usual).  Dorsey who brought Alex Smith to KC originally could not even get him to come there. Both Smith and Cousins basically said they weren't interested in Cleveland.

I think Cleveland has to goto the 2nd or third tier FA QB for year or two and draft one this year ... thats what happens when you go 1-31 and keep the coach.

When did Dorsey try to get Smith to KC? Why would I overpay for an older qb that I know is limited and I have to trade for him? I’ll just save my money and sit it on the table for Kirk and let it talk for me. Sell him on my plan of landing Barkley in the draft (his very own Zeke) add a wr or two in FA and remind him we just spent a fortune for a good OL and you got Joe Thomas covering your blind side. Hugh is a qb coach...Cleveland is ready to be up and coming....Denver is getting old quick and that defense is falling apart piece by piece...that window is almost closed at that OL might be the only one worse than Washington in the league. I promise Kirk will still consider Cleveland if they start out negotiations at $30 mill per season. 

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

When did Dorsey try to get Smith to KC? Why would I overpay for an older qb that I know is limited and I have to trade for him? I’ll just save my money and sit it on the table for Kirk and let it talk for me. Sell him on my plan of landing Barkley in the draft (his very own Zeke) add a wr or two in FA and remind him we just spent a fortune for a good OL and you got Joe Thomas covering your blind side. Hugh is a qb coach...Cleveland is ready to be up and coming....Denver is getting old quick and that defense is falling apart piece by piece...that window is almost closed at that OL might be the only one worse than Washington in the league. I promise Kirk will still consider Cleveland if they start out negotiations at $30 mill per season. 

Dorsey traded for Alex Smith in 2013 when he was GM for KC.  He/Cleveland was was trying to get him to Cleveland, but Smith did not want to be in Cleveland ... earlier today or yesterday Smith actually laughed at the idea of going to Cleveland in an interview.

Cousins already said it isn't all about the money ... posturing? Maybe ... there's always a chance I guess; most everybody has their price, but I think Cousins and many other players are willing to take a little less not to go to Cleveland.

I actually think the Chiefs got the best deal in this trade (initial feelings). They were wanting to go with Mahomes anyways and now they have an extra 3rd round pick and by many reports, a pretty dang good CB in Kendall Fuller. I believe he was one of the top (if not the top) slot corner in the league this year. Cousins has said he would "love" to play in Cleveland if he had the opportunity. That might even mean that Cleveland goes Chubb #1 and see if they can get Barkley at #4. It's going to be a crazy offseason, if Cousins was smart he would go to a team like the Broncos, Cardinals, or (ouch) Jags. 

Cousins will end up in Minnesota. Team on verge of pushing for SB regularly, younger team and cousins would be closer to Michigan where he has family. Makes all the sense in the World.

Arizona, Bills, Broncos, Jets, Giants?, Browns still will all need QB's. Whether these teams trade for a veteran QB or not, guys like Bradford, Keenum, etc. are not options for future with any of these teams.

Only other QB that could be gained where one of the above teams would not need to draft a QB would be Bridgewater. Only if Bridgewater's injury is truly behind him.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think there's any chance that Cousins would've taken this deal.      He's looking for more like 6/150 or no less than 5/125.      And he's looking for 75-80m guaranteed.     The two sides were ready for a divorce,  and now they have one.

Cousins will get a good deal from someone.    It might be quite as large as some think,  but it will be big.    Now,  can he lead that team into the playoffs and make a good run?      We're about to find out....

This is just me thinking out loud but I bet the Browns try and throw money at him to keep him out of Denver or anywhere else.  They have a LARGE amount of cap space and can basically throw a 5/150 deal at him with somewhere around 85 guaranteed.  Get him to sign and then Dorsey has the ability to trade that 1st overall or 4th overall and get a haul there.  Dorsey is the best thing to happen to Cleveland in a while imo.  This could be a very interesting off-season for sure.

3 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

I'm not sure how accurate this actually is but looks like it could be a biiding war between teams like Cleveland, New York Jets, and Minnesota for Cousins.

Out of these 3 it won't matter if it's a bidding war. Cousins will go to Minny for less for all the reasons I posted above.

14 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/

I'm not sure how accurate this actually is but looks like it could be a biiding war between teams like Cleveland, New York Jets, and Minnesota for Cousins.

One of these is not like the rest.  

If I'm Cousins, if Minnesota can give me a relatively decent deal I'm inking the contract on the first minute of free agency.

Think about it if you are already going to be getting a 20+ million dollar deal, are you going to go get the crap beat out of you and lose a ton in Cleaveland or New York for a couple extra million?  Or are you going to go to the team that made the NFC Championship game riding Case Keenum.  

7 hours ago, esmort said:

Yeah Cleveland has been mis-managed for so long that I can't see a QB with options available to him like Cousins willingly deciding to play there, no matter how much they pay.  

Roughest thing about Minnesota is that he'll have to take on Rodgers twice a year if Rodgers stays healthy.  

2 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Out of these 3 it won't matter if it's a bidding war. Cousins will go to Minny for less for all the reasons I posted above.

I agree that the Vikings are closer to the Super Bowl than the other 2 teams I mentioned. Cleveland is actually closer to Michigan than Minneapolis so if that is a factor that actually works in Cleveland's favor. Also with Cleveland having almost double the cap space as the Vikings they might make Cousins an offer he can't refuse. Just something to think about.

7 minutes ago, IinD said:

It's crazy how Cousins is the cream of the crop for free agent QB's.

I just don't see it. I wouldn't pay this guy 20+ annually.

20+? I wouldn't be surprised if Cousin's new deal is 35 million a year. This is the first time that a healthy "franchise" quarterback has actually hit the free agent market. The bidding could get pretty crazy.

42 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

This is just me thinking out loud but I bet the Browns try and throw money at him to keep him out of Denver or anywhere else.  They have a LARGE amount of cap space and can basically throw a 5/150 deal at him with somewhere around 85 guaranteed.  Get him to sign and then Dorsey has the ability to trade that 1st overall or 4th overall and get a haul there.  Dorsey is the best thing to happen to Cleveland in a while imo.  This could be a very interesting off-season for sure.

If the Browns do sign Cousins they can pick Barkley #1 and then do what ever with #4.

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

I can see the Cousins tour starting pretty soon with the helicopter shot of his SUV pulling into the Denver facility and the Buffalo facility and the Jets facility and the Cleveland facility. 

I am not too sure the Broncos have the cap.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I am not too sure the Broncos have the cap.

Broncos around 26 mil and buffalo 29 mil. Per overthecap. 

They would both have to cut /trade vets in order to sign cousins. 

The broncos have a good draft position to get a good young qb, imo they shouldn't throw all their money at cousins.

2 teams left that have enough space to pay him and are in need of a qb. Jets and browns. 

(vikings have plenty of cap space too.... Just wanted to mention that :P

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

This is as good as done, IMO. Mutual interest, defensive players have gushed about Kirk, and pretty soon he will be a Bronco getting $27 mil. per year.

Denver will have to make a lot of cuts to be able to afford $27 million and to be honest I think it is going to take $30 + to sign Cousins. Is Denver as attractive a place to go if they have to shed a bunch of players?

2 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Denver will have to make a lot of cuts to be able to afford $27 million and to be honest I think it is going to take $30 + to sign Cousins. Is Denver as attractive a place to go if they have to shed a bunch of players?

No but could also take less to go to a good team so the most likely will be JAX or DEN. Both have great players on D.

Just now, Fluke_33 said:

I don't know Jaxonville's salary cap status but if i was Cousins that's where i would want to go.  They nearly made it to the super bowl with Bortles at qb.

Exactly and shefter said the jags would move on from bortles if they can get Smith or Cousins 

18 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Exactly and shefter said the jags would move on from bortles if they can get Smith or Cousins 

Jacksonsville only has about $20 mil in cap space and because of Bortles wrist surgery it doesn't look like they will be able to release him before his contract for next season is guaranteed. I think teams like Jacksonville and Denver will be attractive but when Cleveland can pay so much more per season than anyone else it may be too much too resist. I know I seem like a Cleveland apologist on this but when they can potentially pay $25-40 million more over the life of the contract than anyone else it is too much for me to easily dismiss.

1 hour ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

20+? I wouldn't be surprised if Cousin's new deal is 35 million a year. This is the first time that a healthy "franchise" quarterback has actually hit the free agent market. The bidding could get pretty crazy.

I hear you. I'm definitely shocked because he doesn't seem that great. His claim to fame is beating out an overhyped guy who isn't in the league anymore.

Although Smith is no world beater, I think Washington is doing the right thing. I wouldn't pay this guy the numbers being mentioned.

Last 3 years wins, td numbers and most stats have gone downwards as his ints have climbed.

The guy just seems middle of the road, but in a great position to get paid, I can't argue that.

2. New York Jets: Never underestimate connections when it comes to NFL signings. Cousins emerged from Robert Griffin III's shadow under the guidance of former Redskins play designers Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay, not only two of the best offensive minds in the game but also proud graduates of the Mike Shanahan boot-action offense. You know who else learned at the knee of Shanahan? The Jets' recently promoted offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, who is firmly on Cousins' radar.

"(Shanahan and McVay) are great football minds and I've been very fortunate to have one good coach after the other," Cousins told New York's WFAN on Tuesday. "Jeremy Bates does come from that coaching tree, if you will." Cousins went on to compliment the Jets on a "smart hire" by replacing John Morton with Bates. Flush with nearly $100 million in salary-cap space, general manager Mike Maccagnan is poised to give Elway a run for his money.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000912644/article/most-likely-nfl-landing-spots-for-kirk-cousins

I could see the Jets also.

1 hour ago, ColtsGermany said:

Broncos around 26 mil and buffalo 29 mil. Per overthecap. 

They would both have to cut /trade vets in order to sign cousins. 

The broncos have a good draft position to get a good young qb, imo they shouldn't throw all their money at cousins.

2 teams left that have enough space to pay him and are in need of a qb. Jets and browns. 

(vikings have plenty of cap space too.... Just wanted to mention that :P

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

No but could also take less to go to a good team so the most likely will be JAX or DEN. Both have great players on D.

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

I don't know Jaxonville's salary cap status but if i was Cousins that's where i would want to go.  They nearly made it to the super bowl with Bortles at qb.

Teams and agents can structure big deals so that a player gets lots of cash early in the deal, and the team spreads out the payment and especially cap hit over the legnth of the agreement, even if the players doesn't get kept the whole time.  By using things like Signing and Option bonuses (or both) this is accomplished and something like a 27 Million per Year deal doesn't cost the team the full a mount on the salary cap, so they have to make less cuts to have room.

The only thing about option bonuses, they are somewhat less secure than signing bonuses.  If a team decides to part ways before the date the option is to take place, for example.  Yet it isn't always in team interest either.  Say (like the Jags situation with Bortles) you have a player slightly injured all season and listed on injury reports, but he plays.  Player has an option exercised and is due a large sum (19 million in Bortles case) on a certain date (March 14, 2018 in Bortles case). If a team wants to part ways they  can cut the player before the date and be done. Except in Bortles case, he had surgery very recently on his wrist.  So he is not in a medically cleared condition, and teams cannot cut injured players until they receive full medical clearance.  If Bortles is not medically cleared on March 14th, he gets his 19 million dollars for 2018.  All 19 mil hits the Jags cap too.  So how does that figure in to signing another QB at 30 mil/year QB (even with creative structuring) and other team members contracts and draft pick room?

So I might see a scenario where Denver could possibly sign an expensive QB more easily the the Jags could if certain things play out. Jags have 36 million in space if they can cut Bortles, but just 17 million if they have to pay him his option bonus.  And the Broncos just under 27 million.  However, these numbers I got from OTC may not figure in rollover cap space from the previous year. and last I saw that was 7.25 million for Denver and 39.25 million for the Jags.

And if the carryover cap is not included in things like the OTC team cap, then the Browns numbers will be staggering at 110 million in cap space and an additional 50 million in carryover cap.  That's 160 million for Dorsey to spend!!

{ ** Colts have 6.6 million carryover ** }

10 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

How much cap room do the QB needy teams (Buffalo, Denver, Minnesota, NYJ, Jags, Browns) have? I know the Browns have almost $120 million but didn't know about the rest. Here's to hoping that no one can come close to an offer from the Browns for Cousins.

jacksonville isnt overflowing with cap space, but they have enough to go after cousins if they make a few moves first.  i think the defense is mostly safe, but they might have to let hurns go and draft his replacement.  

denver has space, but they need oline too

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If the Browns do sign Cousins they can pick Barkley #1 and then do what ever with #4.

I agree but Dorsey has also been known to draft mid round RB's.  He could also trade that and get more picks and use the 4th pick for BPA.  Use all the picks they have on D talent and some WR's.  If they land Cousins, that would be a huge impact for them. 

Say they trade back with a team like Denver or the Jets.  They get a few extra picks plus maybe a future 1st.  Then with that pick at 5 or 6 they grab Williams at LT for the future replacement of Joe Thomas.  He said he was done after next year.  Get a year of teaching for a promising rookie.

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Teams and agents can structure big deals so that a player gets lots of cash early in the deal, and the team spreads out the payment and especially cap hit over the legnth of the agreement, even if the players doesn't get kept the whole time.  By using things like Signing and Option bonuses (or both) this is accomplished and something like a 27 Million per Year deal doesn't cost the team the full a mount on the salary cap, so they have to make less cuts to have room.

The only thing about option bonuses, they are somewhat less secure than signing bonuses.  If a team decides to part ways before the date the option is to take place, for example.  Yet it isn't always in team interest either.  Say (like the Jags situation with Bortles) you have a player slightly injured all season and listed on injury reports, but he plays.  Player has an option exercised and is due a large sum (19 million in Bortles case) on a certain date (March 14, 2018 in Bortles case). If a team wants to part ways they  can cut the player and be done. Except in Bortles case, he had surgery very recently on his wrist.  So he is not in a medically cleared condition, and teams cannot cut injured players until they receive full medical clearance.  If Bortles is not medically cleared on March 14th, he gets his 19 million dollars for 2018.  All 19 mil hits the Jags cap too.  So how does that figure in to signing another QB at 30 mil/year QB (even with creative structuring) and other team members contracts and draft pick room?

So I might see a scenario where Denver could possibly sign an expensive QB more easily the the Jags could if certain things play out. Jags have 36 million in space if they can cut Bortles, but just 17 million if they have to pay him his option bonus.  And the Broncos just under 27 million.  However, these numbers I got from OTC may not figure in rollover cap space from the previous year. and last I saw that was 7.25 million for Denver and 39.25 million for the Jags.

And if the carryover cap is not included in things like the OTC team cap, then the Browns numbers will be staggering at 110 million in cap space and an additional 50 million in carryover cap.  That's 160 million for Dorsey to spend!!

{ ** Colts have 6.6 million carryover ** }

So with this carry over cap if it's not figured in are you saying the jags may have over 60 mil to spend?