Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Alex Smith Officially Traded to Washington Redskins [Merge]

LucasOilStadium

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

The three most logical destinations for Cousins are Cleveland, Denver and the Jets IMO. Oddly enough each of those hurts the Colts chances of trading backin the draft.

Alex Smith was always going to be moved this offseason. Teams are going to have options this offseason beyond the top of the draft. Keenum, Bridgewater, and Bradford are all up as well. 

22 minutes ago, Str8himalaya said:

Let the QB chips start to tumble! Cousins won’t be with the Redskins and will get a big deal somewhere!

NFL.com reports the deal is....   a 3rd round pick in the upcoming draft,  and a player to be named going to the Chiefs.    Depending on who the player is,  I'm a bit surprised that's all it is.

Smith will also sign a new multi-year deal with the Skins.

Cousins will be on the market.

54 minutes ago, The Peytonator said:

Alex Smith was always going to be moved this offseason. Teams are going to have options this offseason beyond the top of the draft. Keenum, Bridgewater, and Bradford are all up as well. 

Correct, which means that teams won't NEED to give up the farm to trade up for a QB, and won't NEED to over spend for a vet. It also adds the Vikings to the 'need a QB' list.

Hahaha. That’s a good one! 

Did you guys plant a camera to get my reaction? 

No?

This isn’t a joke?

Its for real?

I don’t know whether it makes it even funnier, or one of the worst terrorist attacks on a fan base by a franchise in history. 

It’s like I just stepped out of the real life into some alternate dimension and boy is it weird here. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Smith- 4 years-94 million-71 million guaranteed. 

Good move by Snyder or not?

Bad move IMO. They also gave up a 2018 3rd Round Draft Pick as well. Cousins is a better QB and younger. Smith cant win a Playoff game to save his life. Smith doesn't suck but he isn't a Top 10 QB in the league either.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Bad move IMO. They also gave up a 2018 3rd Round Draft Pick as well. Cousins is a better QB and younger. Smith cant win a Playoff game to save his life. Smith doesn't suck but he isn't a Top 10 QB in the league either.

To be honest I am not too sure about Smith. When Andy let him play with an open play book he done very well.

I think he is under rated but to what extent I don't know.

23 minutes ago, LucasOilStadium said:

Chiefs receive the 2018 Third-Round pick, and CB Kendall Fuller from the Redskins, to complete the trade for Alex Smith, as reported by Adam Schefter's Twitter.

Chiefs also save $17 million in salary cap money from Smith's contract.

But they cant contend with Mahomes at QB, can they?

He's played one NFL game

I honestly don't know how much this hurts our trade out scenario since there are so many teams who need QB's. Also, do not discount Cousins going to Cleveland. He said he would, which means nothing, but they can offer him by far the largest contract. If Wash. extended Smith at 26M/yr. imagine what Cousins is going to want. Denver may not want to pay their price, and I think Cleveland is going to want a veteran in there regardless to let a young QB learn under him. I always thought it would happen, but I thought it would be Smith to Cleveland.

One more thing, since many people though Jacksonville would also be looking for a more dependable QB, they probably will have to stick with Bortles now. He had surgery on his wrist, and his money was guaranteed if injured, and most likely won't be cleared by medical staff when the league year starts, so they will have to stay with Bortles, and not trade.

6 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

How much cap room do the QB needy teams (Buffalo, Denver, Minnesota, NYJ, Jags, Browns) have? I know the Browns have almost $120 million but didn't know about the rest. Here's to hoping that no one can come close to an offer from the Browns for Cousins.

The Vikings have $56 million available now. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/

7 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

He just signed a 4 year extension worth 94 mil.

Looks like the Redskins are all in with Smith as their QB.

That's unbelievable. I read that over $70 million of the $94 million is guaranteed. 

It will cost even more for the Vilings to sign a QB. Hopefully they don't overpay, as they have a lot of players that need to be re-signed in the next two years (Diggs, Kendricks, D. Hunter, and more).

7 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I put earlier in a thread he was getting 26M/yr. but 24M/yr. is still a lot. Cousins was in a position to command several million more per year, thus the trade.

It's not a point of the 2 million a year difference. 71 million guaranteed is the point. That's a huge amount for a soon to be 34 year old QB.

Cousins more than likely would have taken that deal if offered.

46 minutes ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

How much cap room do the QB needy teams (Buffalo, Denver, Minnesota, NYJ, Jags, Browns) have? I know the Browns have almost $120 million but didn't know about the rest. Here's to hoping that no one can come close to an offer from the Browns for Cousins.

I dont think anyone can

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Wow! Kirk Cousins is better and younger, doesn't make sense to me. Talk about Breaking News. I can see Cousins in Denver now which makes Denver dangerous again.

Denver people are probably very happy with this.

The Skins just kicked Kirk out of town......and Denver doesn't want to play a rookie QB

The Broncos may have to sacrifice some body like Emanuel Sanders to get the money, though.

12 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's not a point of the 2 million a year difference. 71 million guaranteed is the point. That's a huge amount for a soon to be 34 year old QB.

Cousins more than likely would have taken that deal if offered.

Agree fully, and once again Cleveland is in the best position to offer most guaranteed and most per year money. There cap number is well over 100M, and Denver would have a tough time matching Cleveland. If that happens, Cleveland takes Barkley first overall, and it does not change Denver and or the Jets wanting to move up since they would have there choice of two QB's after NY most likely and there are other teams in the low teens who they would be worried may try to engineer a trade. We are still in a good position. I hope Cleveland goes after Cousins hard, since it helps us draft wise I believe.

So the player to be named later.......    has been named.

It's Cornerback Kendell Fuller who Washington drafted two years ago with a 3rd round pick.

So,  KC gets Fuller, who they think will start for them and a 3rd round pick.     This seems about fair to me.

As to the money,   Smith is getting 23.5 Mill per year which seems roughly about right,   especially since it's only a 4-year deal.     $71 Mill guaranteed is a large number,  but these days,  it's the cost of doing business if you need a top QB.

I don't think there's any chance that Cousins would've taken this deal.      He's looking for more like 6/150 or no less than 5/125.      And he's looking for 75-80m guaranteed.     The two sides were ready for a divorce,  and now they have one.

Cousins will get a good deal from someone.    It might be quite as large as some think,  but it will be big.    Now,  can he lead that team into the playoffs and make a good run?      We're about to find out....

I think he (Kirk) lands in Cleveland and then they take Barkley #1 overall. That’s a ton of money. I get they are moving on (even if it’s a downgrade) but that money is insane. Had they offered Cousins that a couple years ago he would be locked up. Crazy! If I’m Dorsey I don’t let Cousins leave without signing...straight up Deandre Jordan lock him in a room stuff here.

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Exactly. Why the heck would you not just pay a younger (and more importantly) BETTER Kirk Cousins?

Because things had soured so badly between the Skins and Cousins that Washington had no desire to pay Cousins the kind of money he was asking for.

Cousins will sign a very good contract with another team,  but what he wanted most,  was to get out of DC.    And now, he has....

One article said Cleveland was bidding for Smith as well, but Smith probably had a say in where he went (who he would be willing to sign long-term with and didn't want to go to Cleveland.

Also Cousins reportedly has said he wants to play for a team that can win now (and was willing to make sacrifices to get on such a team) ... If true I would say that makes Cousins likely destinations Arizona or Denver .. .with Vikings and Jax lurking in background as potential surprise destinations.