Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2018 Free Agency

I believe that CB will be extremely active during this period and plug "starters" roles much like he did last year with potential up and comers (with a few exceptions) while drafting for depth and future development - aka best player available.

On defense there needs to be an addition at every level and I believe he will target players in these groups (if not tagged or resigned):

Defensive End for the new 4-3 to pair with Sheard and Basham:

Ansah/Lawrence/Aaron Lynch/Ealy/Marcus Smith

Linebacker for the new 4-3 to pair with Simon and Walker:

Williamson/Preston Brown/Hitchens

Two cornerbacks to pair with Wilson and Hairston and Moore:

Kyle Fuller/Breeland/Trumane Johnson/Desir/Melvin

On the offensive side of the ball....

Offensive Line:

Norwell/Fulton/Kline/Hurst/Hart

Running back to pair with Mack and Turbin:

Jerick McKinnon/Jeremy Hill/Isaiah Crowell

Two wide recievers to pair with TY and Rogers:

Outside

Watkins/Robinson/Jordan Matthews/Moncrief

Slot

Landry/Albert Wilson/Paul Richardson

If CB can manage to economically sign 1 free agent per group then that sets him up to draft talent in the draft versus need.

6 hours ago, tvturner said:

Ansah/Hitchens/Norwell/McKinnon/Robinson/Fuller

I'll take em 

Ansah will get north of 15mil per year.

Norwell will get north of probably 12mil per year

Hitchens gets around 7mil per year

Robinson gets around 8mil per year (based on injury and probably a short prove it deal)

Fuller gets around 8mil per year (talented and young, in a position that gets paid)

McKinnon gets around 3.5 or 4mil per year.

All together you are looking at around 55 or 56 mil with just these players (on estimated dollars, with Ansah and Norwell possibly getting more).  If we have around 80 mil and about 10 accounts for draft.  You keep about 5mil at least (more would be a little smarter as well) to float through the year for injuries.  Ballard does not seem like a guy who spends every last dime either (look at the cap hell the Saints have been in by spending every penny).  So after this plus the draft and cash for the season... you are left with an additional estimated 8mil to sign some of our own guys.  You might have to sub out someone like Ansah and go after another key piece and hope Chubb can be your Ansah.  Just my opinion though.

I don' know how to start a topic but what if we traded a healthy Luck to the browns for their 2 first round picks and their 2nd round pick. that would give us the 1st 3rd and 4th picks in the first round and the 33rd and 36th in the 2nd round.

so what could we do with that? I'm thinking 1st barkley (rb) 3rd chubb (de) 4th would be qb (2nd qb taken). be active in FA especially at G and draft a G in the early 2nd round and bpa with the other 2nd round pick

11 minutes ago, reidaj1812 said:

I don' know how to start a topic but what if we traded a healthy Luck to the browns for their 2 first round picks and their 2nd round pick. that would give us the 1st 3rd and 4th picks in the first round and the 33rd and 36th in the 2nd round.

so what could we do with that? I'm thinking 1st barkley (rb) 3rd chubb (de) 4th would be qb (2nd qb taken). be active in FA especially at G and draft a G in the early 2nd round and bpa with the other 2nd round pick

What we could do with that is place ourselves in the bottom of the south for the next 10 years.

10 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

Robinson gets around 8mil per year (based on injury and probably a short prove it deal)

Fuller gets around 8mil per year (talented and young, in a position that gets paid)

All together you are looking at around 55 or 56 mil with just these players (on estimated dollars, with Ansah and Norwell possibly getting more).  If we have around 80 mil and about 10 accounts for draft.  You keep about 5mil at least (more would be a little smarter as well) to float through the year for injuries.  Ballard does not seem like a guy who spends every last dime either (look at the cap hell the Saints have been in by spending every penny).  So after this plus the draft and cash for the season... you are left with an additional estimated 8mil to sign some of our own guys.  You might have to sub out someone like Ansah and go after another key piece and hope Chubb can be your Ansah.  Just my opinion though.

I don't mean all of them but that's who I'd want in FA 

3 hours ago, reidaj1812 said:

Stop

no

never

4 hours ago, reidaj1812 said:

Well, we could use those extra draft pick to fill holes we didn't have before the trade.........and honestly we know what Luck is when healthy, and we would have no clue that whoever we drafted to replace him with wouldn't go all Jamarcus Russell/Ryan Leaf on us.....We could add Barkley with Turbin and Mack and make the guy we just re-signed last year (Turbin obsolete and wasted effort) or make the guy we drafted (Mack obsolete and wasted effort) and then in the middle take Chubb with the 3rd overall pick like before....  it's a perfectly ingenious solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed to begin with

19 hours ago, crunked said:

Well, we could use those extra draft pick to fill holes we didn't have before the trade.........and honestly we know what Luck is when healthy, and we would have no clue that whoever we drafted to replace him with wouldn't go all Jamarcus Russell/Ryan Leaf on us.....We could add Barkley with Turbin and Mack and make the guy we just re-signed last year (Turbin obsolete and wasted effort) or make the guy we drafted (Mack obsolete and wasted effort) and then in the middle take Chubb with the 3rd overall pick like before....  it's a perfectly ingenious solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed to begin with

you know we could also trade that 1st pick in the draft to say "the Bills" for their  two 1st round picks (plus more) and we would have for this year 4 first round picks. as to what you said about "a solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed to begin with" the real problem are the bad drafts and trade and FA's we've had in the past 5 years (ex: Trent R). this is what created a problem that needs a solution. I hope you see now the genus in this trade. it will fix the bad decisions of the past 5 or 6 years.

5 hours ago, reidaj1812 said:

you know we could also trade that 1st pick in the draft to say "the Bills" for their  two 1st round picks (plus more) and we would have for this year 4 first round picks. as to what you said about "a solution to a problem that shouldn't have existed to begin with" the real problem are the bad drafts and trade and FA's we've had in the past 5 years (ex: Trent R). this is what created a problem that needs a solution. I hope you see now the genus in this trade. it will fix the bad decisions of the past 5 or 6 years.

I am actually saying (in my opinion) it would be a bad thing to create a problem that doesn't currently exist just to solve it with the outcome....the Trent R. trade is a prime example of that, doing it again in a new way doesn't make the old mistake go away, but it does create a brand new mistake to talk about.....10 times out of 10 I will take Luck over a draft pick in this draft.....

1 hour ago, crunked said:

I am actually saying (in my opinion) it would be a bad thing to create a problem that doesn't currently exist just to solve it with the outcome....the Trent R. trade is a prime example of that, doing it again in a new way doesn't make the old mistake go away, but it does create a brand new mistake to talk about.....10 times out of 10 I will take Luck over a draft pick in this draft.....

I agree!! the question is not if I would take Luck over "a" draft pick (I would not also) but the question is would I take Luck over 4 1st round picks (all in this draft)? I think I would do that 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 3:01 PM, JMichael557 said:

What we could do with that is place ourselves in the bottom of the south for the next 10 years.

See the Browns and the 49ers...many high round draft picks without a true quality starting quarterback and still struggle in positional standings year to year.  Build for the future and learn from own and other's draft mistakes. 

Forward thinking to 2020 is a kid named Harrison Bailey a young talented quarterback in the making from Marietta, GA who should be on our future radar for 2023/2024 which should be near the end of Luck's career.  Can always build a well rounded talented team on both sides of the football in the draft (fingers crossed) and in FA without that so called generational quarterback at the helm.  We lost Peyton Manning to the Broncos and they survived for a few years as a stop-gap.  This offseason the Redskins are looking to make do for a few more years with Alex Smith.  So may we struggle a year without a top talented or generational quarterback at the helm so be it IMO if we can bring in the true talent we have been lacking for years.  Look for that elder statesman of the game to make the playoffs+ with and find ways to wheel and deal in the draft to leverage our team to a position where your can look forward towards the future a few years and narrow down players who will continue to make the Colts a playoff/super bowl contender.

43 minutes ago, OhioColt said:

See the Browns and the 49ers...many high round draft picks without a true quality starting quarterback and still struggle in positional standings year to year.  Build for the future and learn from own and other's draft mistakes. 

Forward thinking to 2020 is a kid named Harrison Bailey a young talented quarterback in the making from Marietta, GA who should be on our future radar for 2023/2024 which should be near the end of Luck's career.  Can always build a well rounded talented team on both sides of the football in the draft (fingers crossed) and in FA without that so called generational quarterback at the helm.  We lost Peyton Manning to the Broncos and they survived for a few years as a stop-gap.  This offseason the Redskins are looking to make do for a few more years with Alex Smith.  So may we struggle a year without a top talented or generational quarterback at the helm so be it IMO if we can bring in the true talent we have been lacking for years.  Look for that elder statesman of the game to make the playoffs+ with and find ways to wheel and deal in the draft to leverage our team to a position where your can look forward towards the future a few years and narrow down players who will continue to make the Colts a playoff/super bowl contender.

You’re talking about a high schooler replacing Luck in 6 years?! Lol the kid hasn’t even played a down in college yet. Pump the brakes!

6 hours ago, OhioColt said:

I continue to be amazed by the depth of knowledge that people have here at the forum. I don't know the High School QB's in my hometown much less who the potential top prospects for 2020 are.  @OhioColt you should save this post and if Harrison Bailey turns out to be a top QB prospect you can say you called it in February 2018.

IMHO, if you are going to take Chubb that high in the draft then you don't need to sign a guy like Lawrence or Ansah to big money.  Just IMHO though.  I'd say one or the other.  You have Sheard and Simon is a good blitzing LB and you drafted Basham, who came on at the end of the season, just last year.

Then again, the Colts have a ton of money to spend so I guess it depends on what they do in other areas.  I'd go HARD after Norwell because I think Nelson and McGlinchey will be long gone after the 1st round.

On 1/31/2018 at 7:20 AM, DaColts85 said:

Thats why I would pass on Ansah since pass rushers get paid premium money in free agency. I’d most definitely sign Norwell since he is younger than Ansah at age 26, and is one of the best at his OG position whereas Ansah is not even top 5 in the league as a pass rusher. I’d then draft Chubb for our future pass rush. 

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

Thats why I would pass on Ansah since pass rushers get paid premium money in free agency. I’d most definitely sign Norwell since he is younger than Ansah at age 26, and is one of the best at his OG position whereas Ansah is not even top 5 in the league as a pass rusher. I’d then draft Chubb for our future pass rush. 

Where as I agree from the financial standpoint I disagree with the assessment of Ansah.  Dude had 12 sacks in 14 games.  He could come in here and put up double digit sacks and be used for that sole purpose.  You have to pay for this.  Again, the financial standpoint though I agree with because Chubb will be far cheaper for the term of the rookie contract.  If he does well though, you will have to pay the big bucks at some point.  Or hope Ballard is a draft guru and keeps young talent in the key high money spots.