Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patrick Robinson, what happened?

cmgww

Sorry if this has been posted and feel free to merge....I've been off the boards for some time bc of personal reasons (nothing bad). 

But how did Patrick Robinson go from being terrible with us to an All-Pro level player with the Eagles?? Scheme? Lack of pass rush leading him to cover longer? I seem to remember him getting burnt a lot in 2016. Now he's a shutdown corner. 

Side note, not that I care too much but Dorsett and Allen have a good shot at getting rings, and while Dorsett hasn't done a lot in NE, he did make a huge play in the Jags game. 

For Robinson, is it the Jerry Hughes effect, just didn't fit? Or injuries and being forced to cover too long....

20 minutes ago, cmgww said:

Sorry if this has been posted and feel free to merge....I've been off the boards for some time bc of personal reasons (nothing bad). 

But how did Patrick Robinson go from being terrible with us to an All-Pro level player with the Eagles?? Scheme? Lack of pass rush leading him to cover longer? I seem to remember him getting burnt a lot in 2016. Now he's a shutdown corner. 

Side note, not that I care too much but Dorsett and Allen have a good shot at getting rings, and while Dorsett hasn't done a lot in NE, he did make a huge play in the Jags game. 

For Robinson, is it the Jerry Hughes effect, just didn't fit? Or injuries and being forced to cover too long....

Don't take a slot CB that is good only for the slot and try to play him elsewhere. I also think the Eagles' DL generating more push in the pocket and pass rush is just as big a factor, IMO, with him not having to cover for too long. A good DL will pretty much always make an average secondary look better than they are.

Name 2 elite secondary players in each of the Giants'  2007 & 2011 SB runs, you can't. That should rest my case.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Don't take a slot CB that is good only for the slot and try to play him elsewhere. I also think the Eagles' DL generating more push in the pocket and pass rush is just as big a factor, IMO, with him not having to cover for too long. A good DL will pretty much always make an average secondary look better than they are.

Name 2 elite secondary players in each of the Giants'  2007 & 2011 SB runs, you can't. That should rest my case.

And for bonus points, name two ex Colt DBs who went on to be pro bowlers with other teams (after being ridiculed while being here).

32 minutes ago, cmgww said:

combination of injuries, poor scheme, poor positioning and effectively, poor coaching

2 hours ago, cmgww said:

The Eagles played him inside at the slot position, which is where he excelled. Chuck and Grigson thought he could play on the outside and were proved wrong, over and over again.  It would be like taking someone like Wes Welker and having him play only as an outside WR....it just doesn't make sense.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way....

A quick check of stats shows Robinson played just 7 games for the Colts with 6 starts.

In his one season the guy suffered a concussion plus knee, hip, and groin injuries.

There aren't many corners who play well with all those injuries on one season.

I'm pretty sure Pagano beat him up regularly.  He also kicked his dog.

I would have kept Robinson and played him at slot. The Eagles also have a much better front, making things easier on all their DBs.

Not a humble brag, btw. I disagreed with Ballard on two corner decisions -- keeping Melvin and cutting Robinson. He was right on Melvin, for sure.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

Wasn’t there a point in that year where the Colts were forced to play him at the outside CB spot ?

The pass rush for the Eagles has covered up what I think is the Achilles heel of the defense - the secondary. It’s not that they haven’t played well, but it will be interesting to see if McDaniels attacks deep.

6 hours ago, Superman said:

I would have kept Robinson and played him at slot. The Eagles also have a much better front, making things easier on all their DBs.

Not a humble brag, btw. I disagreed with Ballard on two corner decisions -- keeping Melvin and cutting Robinson. He was right on Melvin, for sure.

I liked Melvin as a backup because even though he got beat quite a bit last year he was always physical and he didn’t back down...I can’t blame Ballard for cutting Robinson. He played awful but mostly was hurt all the time. Hard to bring a guy back that couldn’t stay healthy and probably didn’t get support from the staff and all the tape looked bad while he was here. Props to him for bouncing back. Could we have kept him...sure but Ballard brought in two corners in the draft Hairston (who could be an even better slot corner someday) and a high pick in Wilson. Win some lose some but I won’t lose sleep on it. Good call though on your part in we should have kept him...I sure didn’t see it last year.

How quickly everyone forgets that we were down to starting our 4th, 5th and 6th CB’s for the majority of last season. Robinson was banged up last season and couldn’t handle life on the outside when called upon. It was unfortunate things went the way they did with him. He’s clearly a very talented guy when used properly. 

I said when they signed Robinson that he was not an outside corner and caught a lot of % from most on this board.   And NCF I hate to say it (no I don't) it was on Pagano for that stupid move.   Yes Grigson brought him and and could have told Pagano this is your CB2 but I like blaming Pagano for everything even the cold weather

9 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

It's not really as much about his ability as it is how injury prone he is. 

He played all 16 games this year, and only has 2 seasons where he's played less than 11, so I'm not sure he's as injury prone as we'd like to believe. He just happened to be knicked up from head-to-toe in the 7 games he played in Indy.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

He played all 16 games this year, and only has 2 seasons where he's played less than 11, so I'm not sure he's as injury prone as we'd like to believe. He just happened to be knicked up from head-to-toe in the 7 games he played in Indy.

I must be thinking of someone else. I thought I remembered him having a history of injuries 

So everyone wants, as usual, to blame the coach when the player looked to me like he didn't have a clue or wasn't trying.  So he is best as a slot CB?  We already had Butler playing there at a reasonably high level.  So you sit down at the negotiating table & ask, "Can you play outside man to man CB?"  He says, "Well, of course I can."  He sucks & it's coaching.  A good CB is a good CB.  If they're only good when in the slot with  great pass rush, then they are not a good CB.

3 hours ago, Coltsfan1955 said:

So everyone wants, as usual, to blame the coach when the player looked to me like he didn't have a clue or wasn't trying.  So he is best as a slot CB?  We already had Butler playing there at a reasonably high level.  So you sit down at the negotiating table & ask, "Can you play outside man to man CB?"  He says, "Well, of course I can."  He sucks & it's coaching.  A good CB is a good CB.  If they're only good when in the slot with  great pass rush, then they are not a good CB.

NOPE.   You dont ask the player what he can play.   You know what he can play before you bring him in for a try out