Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels talking about his time in Denver article

lollygagger8

He has grown I'm sure. He was only 32!!! I'm 31 and I can tell you right now I am in no way mature enough or experienced enough to have a full control of a franchise in the NFL. I don't think there are many 32 year old dudes out there who can handle that responsibility.

22 minutes ago, MightyLucks said:

He has grown I'm sure. He was only 32!!! I'm 31 and I can tell you right now I am in no way mature enough or experienced enough to have a full control of a franchise in the NFL. I don't think there are many 32 year old dudes out there who can handle that responsibility.

Yep. Agreed. On top of that, sounds like he's determined to make up for the mistakes he made back then. I'm warming up to this hire more and more

He's going to be our coach, and I'll be in support of that through all the learning curves, and roster transitions, and the normal acclimation issues.

However, I've had apprehensions of this hire all along. Not that I'm worried about his football intelligence, or his imagination, or ability to adapt. My concern has been with his people skills, his ability to lead the coaches, and the roster. I'm not expecting him to fail. I'm just anxious.

I'm looking forward to his press conferences. It'll just be good to hear him talk. I know....simple, right?

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

He's going to be our coach, and I'll be in support of that through all the learning curves, and roster transitions, and the normal acclimation issues.

However, I've had apprehensions of this hire all along. Not that I'm worried about his football intelligence, or his imagination, or ability to adapt. My concern has been with his people skills, his ability to lead the coaches, and the roster. I'm not expecting him to fail. I'm just anxious.

I'm looking forward to his press conferences. It'll just be good to hear him talk. I know....simple, right?

Yup agree 100%

2 hours ago, buccolts said:

I also agree with this.

Training camp is going to be HUGE for us this year.  I expect a good number of CB's picks to pan out and with a new staff and a bunch of players - who also have to learn a new culture - getting all of that to gel is going to depend on how effectively JM can get his message across.

Speaking of culture, we really don't have anyone who's old school (AV being the exception) knowing of what it means to wear the Shoe for a long period of time and what it takes to win consistently.  Who is going to be our leaders?  Luck/TY on O?  Hankins on D??  one of the FA hirings?  Will be an interesting camp.  Looking forward to it.

Great read really liked the last paragraph!!!

Yeah, I’d love to do it again,” he said. “I think the most important thing for me is to be in the right situation and be in a place where I feel good about being. There’s a lot of great teams and great places out there. I happen to be in a good situation for myself right now and my family. If it comes up again where it’s like — there it is, that’s the right spot — then I’d love to do it again and give it another shot.”

He went 6-0 to start his head coaching career. I remember him as very passionate on the sidelines during that time. Then the wheels fell off after the by and they ended 8-8. Its very interesting. Taking a team to 6-0 with Kyle Orton and then collapsing. What happened? Did that first loss break the momentum that bad? Did other teams watch some tape and figure him out?

6-0 to start, what a start. Maybe he comes to Indy and we start like that. Very interesting. I think not having to be in charge of personnel will help with his work load. I think with a healthy Andrew Luck were going to be a very tough team to play. I think this will be a career year for Luck if he is healthy. 

6 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

6-0 to start, what a start. Maybe he comes to Indy and we start like that. Very interesting. I think not having to be in charge of personnel will help with his work load. I think with a healthy Andrew Luck were going to be a very tough team to play. I think this will be a career year for Luck if he is healthy. 

If we start 6-0 McDaniels will be viewed as the second coming on this forum. I for one would be all in at that point, but I want to see good wins and consistency on both sides with a (let me be careful not to use the Pagano word) powerhouse offense. (Monster was the word btw)

Everyone’s goes through their hard times, ups and downs as coaching. Bill went through it and now he’s considered to be the GOAT. The trick is to learn, grow, take past experiences and change moving forward ... that’s all we can hope he has done. Besides he’s had plenty of more time to sit under bill and learn since then. 

3 minutes ago, ColtsBlitz said:

If we start 6-0 McDaniels will be viewed as the second coming on this forum. I for one would be all in at that point, but I want to see good wins and consistency on both sides with a (let me be careful not to use the Pagano word) powerhouse offense. (Monster was the word btw)

It would be nice for a change to get a bye week with Andrew Luck, but for starters, let us start with a playoff spot. :) 

2 hours ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

I also agree with this.

Training camp is going to be HUGE for us this year.  I expect a good number of CB's picks to pan out and with a new staff and a bunch of players - who also have to learn a new culture - getting all of that to gel is going to depend on how effectively JM can get his message across.

Speaking of culture, we really don't have anyone who's old school (AV being the exception) knowing of what it means to wear the Shoe for a long period of time and what it takes to win consistently.  Who is going to be our leaders?  Luck/TY on O?  Hankins on D??  one of the FA hirings?  Will be an interesting camp.  Looking forward to it.

And how lucky am I?

TC is coming to my town this year.

I may be a frequent observer this year.

5 hours ago, buccolts said:

Absolutely. I have given this apprehension about his people skills some thoughts, because I have been a bit stressed out about it. He will be a major change in culture from Pagano and Dungy, and it could come as a shock for some. I think we’re going to see a more demanding Belichick clone here, BUT I have a very good feeling that Ballard will be able to ease things out when needed. Another point: You don’t have to be loved to be a great leader, but you have a be highly respected. If McDaniels can lead these men in battle and win, they will follow him, not out of fear, but out of trust and respect. 

8 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

Here's an article back in 2015 with McDaniels talking about his time in Denver: 

https://www.denverpost.com/2015/01/27/patriots-josh-mcdaniels-admits-to-mistakes-when-broncos-coach/

Sounds like he's grown since then. 

Thank you Lolly for posting this story/link. If I were Josh at my very first Colts press conference I'm addressing the $50,000 dollar fine by the league in Denver right now. I basically throw the whole incident on the table for public scrutiny & say "Look, illegal videotaping is wrong & even if I wasn't holding the camera. I need to know exactly what the men or coaching staff are doing at all times under my leadership. The last thing I wanna do is embarrass my new owner, my new city, & INDY fans everywhere. This will never happen again. I promise you. My #1 objective is to acquire rings here. Any questions about what I just disclosed reporters?" 

I'm a firm believer in addressing the biggest elephant in the room first & clearing the air. Josh also needs to realize that he's not BB. Nobody in INDY gives a crap about how many rings you won as an OC. Be your own man & realize that to us you haven't done squat. It's like a star college player who was drafted high. Your athleticism & intelligence was good enough to get you here, but you need to prove your value here like you're a nobody starting completely over. 

If Josh does that, I'll embrace him & clean the slate. 

Plus, if you address controversies head on, they tend to fade away very quickly. People like it when you admit your mistakes & faults because it humanizes you, speeds up the let's get started winning process, & people like when they don't think your hiding anything. It fosters forgiveness & loyalty in several fans. 

30 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Thank you Lolly for posting this story/link. If I were Josh at my very first Colts press conference I'm addressing the $50,000 dollar fine by the league in Denver right now. I basically throw the whole incident on the table for public scrutiny & say "Look, illegal videotaping is wrong & even if I wasn't holding the camera. I need to know exactly what the men or coaching staff are doing at all times under my leadership. The last thing I wanna do is embarrass my new owner, my new city, & INDY fans everywhere. This will never happen again. I promise you. My #1 objective is to acquire rings here. Any questions about what I just disclosed reporters?" 

I'm a firm believer in addressing the biggest elephant in the room first & clearing the air. Josh also needs to realize that he's not BB. Nobody in INDY gives a crap about how many rings you won as an OC. Be your own man & realize that to us you haven't done squat. It's like a star college player who was drafted high. Your athleticism & intelligence was good enough to get you here, but you need to prove your value here like you're a nobody starting completely over. 

If Josh does that, I'll embrace him & clean the slate. 

Plus, if you address controversies head on, they tend to fade away very quickly. People like it when you admit your mistakes & faults because it humanizes you, speeds up the let's get started winning process, & people like when they don't think your hiding anything. It fosters forgiveness & loyalty in several fans. 

To be honest, Southwest, this would be like catering to naysayers. It might work in your book but for a lot of us, it wouldn't work at all. Some would say "I don't care if he was a jerk then, if he helps us get a winning record and shows he can co-exist, his actions will speak louder than words."

I think you were the one also wanting Peyton to own up to the fact he played like crap in the Seahawks SB. It would be utopian if you expect all of us humans would swallow our pride and give fodder to the negativity about us and take a public flogging.  In other words, it is NOT going to happen. Everyone wants closure about everything. I wish my friend would own up to him acting like a jerk in situation A, situation B, and do the right thing. I wish my ex-GF would admit she was wrong about me, I wish my daughter's friend's parent would admit her daughter can be difficult and could have possibly engaged in borderline bully like actions towards mine etc. etc. but life does not work that way. 

If my actions are going to speak louder than words over time, I will let them speak. Bringing up my negative past does no good for me, except mollify a bunch of naysayers who might be happy for now but some would still hold it against me later should things go south "see, I told ya". You may not be like those naysayers, southwest, but if I were McDaniels, I'd just focus on winning football games and co-existing with his new entourage of coaches and GM Ballard, that is it, nothing more, nothing less. The Colts hired him because they were less concerned about his negatives and felt his positives and lessons from the past would propel him to success after doing their due diligence. There will be plenty of questions to answer as a coach of the Indianapolis Colts moving forward in the off season and on game day, why would he need to intentionally drag himself back to his past to answer questions as a "former" coach of the Denver Broncos. He knows the doubts are there and he knows there will be only one way to answer it, with his actions moving forward and looking forward, not backwards. :) 

3 hours ago, TheGreatManning18Fan said:

Great read really liked the last paragraph!!!

Yeah, I’d love to do it again,” he said. “I think the most important thing for me is to be in the right situation and be in a place where I feel good about being. There’s a lot of great teams and great places out there. I happen to be in a good situation for myself right now and my family. If it comes up again where it’s like — there it is, that’s the right spot — then I’d love to do it again and give it another shot.”

The one I like about Josh is that he understands that without an elite QB you're toast. Even when he was in Denver, he knew Jay Cutler was a head case who wasn't driven to win week in week out. Therefore, he went after Kyle Orton & shipped Cutler to Chicago. I'm not saying Orton was ever elite or even good. Just that Josh knew Cutler wasn't gonna win anything so let's remove the headache ASAP. 

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

To be honest, Southwest, this would be like catering to naysayers. It might work in your book but for a lot of us, it wouldn't work at all. Some would say "I don't care if he was a jerk then, if he helps us get a winning record and shows he can co-exist, his actions will speak louder than words."

I think you were the one also wanting Peyton to own up to the fact he played like crap in the Seahawks SB. It would be utopian if you expect all of us humans would swallow our pride and give fodder to the negativity about us and take a public flogging.  In other words, it is NOT going to happen. Everyone wants closure about everything. I wish my friend would own up to him acting like a jerk in situation A, situation B, and do the right thing. I wish my ex-GF would admit she was wrong about me, I wish my daughter's friend's parent would admit her daughter can be difficult and could have possibly engaged in borderline bully like actions towards mine etc. etc. but life does not work that way. 

If my actions are going to speak louder than words over time, I will let them speak. Bringing up my negative past does no good for me, except mollify a bunch of naysayers who might be happy for now but some would still hold it against me later should things go south "see, I told ya". You may not be like those naysayers, southwest, but if I were McDaniels, I'd just focus on winning football games and co-existing with his new entourage of coaches and GM Ballard, that is it, nothing more, nothing less. The Colts hired him because they were less concerned about his negatives and felt his positives and lessons from the past would propel him to success. There will be plenty of questions to answer as a coach of the Indianapolis Colts moving forward, why would he need to intentionally drag himself back to his past to answer questions as a "former" coach of the Denver Broncos. He knows the doubts are there and he knows there will be only one way to answer it, with his actions moving forward and looking forward, not backwards. :) 

It's not about catering to naysayers at all. Or even moving backwards for me. "Those who don't learn from history [their own past] are doomed to repeat it." Josh can't pretend illegal videotaping in Denver didn't happen. It did & under his watch. That's a fact. Look, I get that Jimmy hired McDaniels for his offensive schemes & prowess. But, if you let scandals fester or pretend they never happened, it builds resentment & eventually it will come to the surface in the locker room especially if INDY struggles to win games in the first 5 weeks or if Luck's accuracy is of after his recovery. 

Like all locker rooms, teams & loyal fans don't care what the doubters think. It's an us vs the world mindset. I've just never believed a burry your head in the sand & not address the past ever works. It's not that I want an apology. It's that the guy who crossed the line knows the bleeped up & because that stunt got me fired in Denver I learned my lesson & won't embarrass my new boss. 

Winning cures all as you know Chad & the only thing that matters is winning on the field. Regarding PM in the 2013 SB loss vs the Seahawks, yes I was critical of his failure to admit that he played poorly in that SB. He did. My only point is that if 18 had admitted on Letterman it wasn't his finest hour I can easily look past it. However, if you use we vs I didn't have the best game that night that bothers me. Look, I know it's hard for super competitive athletes destined for the HOF to own up to the fact that they got steamrolled in a SB but you got do it just once. I loved at the ESPYs when Peyton Manning admitted that Von Miller & that defense carried him to his 2nd ring. I live for that kind of honesty. It doesn't detract from 18's greatness at all. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is I value honesty which is always a sign of strength never weakness. 

Nice talking with you as always Chad. 

19 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I guess what I'm trying to say is I value honesty which is always a sign of strength never weakness. 

If he is asked about it and answers it honestly, that would suffice for me though. He is wishing to start on a positive note, and it does not do much good in my eyes to start off with something negative that happened a while ago. He was with the Patriots when Spygate and Deflategate happened too, so why not bring those up too? 

I am not going to roast a man over the coals for not bringing up something negative in his past. There could be several reasons he doesn't want to talk about it, one of which could be raining on the parade of the GM and owner who want it to be a positive occasion with positive vibes. I am sure Gregg Doyel would love to ask him about it. :)

If he is asked about it and answers it sincerely, that would be enough for me. That is where we disagree, you wanting him to intentionally bring it up and me not thinking it is a big deal if McDaniels is not the one to bring it up.

50 minutes ago, chad72 said:

There will be plenty of questions to answer as a coach of the Indianapolis Colts moving forward, why would he need to intentionally drag himself back to his past to answer questions as a "former" coach of the Denver Broncos.

I get what you're saying Chad & it is a valid concern. All you do is bring it up at your first press conference, show the world some level of not remorse necessarily, but an awareness that you have grown from the very thing that got you fired in Colorado, & that this is the only time you will ever discuss this mistake & after today, the matter is officially dead like burying a time capsule that will never be dug up again. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I get what you're saying Chad & it is a valid concern. All you do is bring it up at your first press conference, show the world some level of not remorse necessity but an awareness that you have grown from the very thing that got you fired in Colorado, & that this is the only time you will ever discuss this mistake & after today, the matter is officially dead like burying a time capsule that will never be dug up again. 

At least you think so, but trust me, a lot of people live to judge and will bring up that time capsule over and over again, like we Colts fans bring up Spygate or Deflategate over and over again. :) 

That is why, to me, it does more bad than good.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I am not going to roast a man over the coals for not bringing up something negative in his past. There could be several reasons he doesn't want to talk about. I am sure Gregg Doyel would love to ask him about it. If he is asked about it and answers it sincerely, that would be enough for me. That is where we disagree, you wanting him to intentionally bring it up and me not thinking it is a big deal if McDaniels is not the one to bring it up.

Sounds great, but here's the problem my friend. 

Josh is being hired by INDY to run or coach another football program & the first inclination is to examine his last location coaching. If he was just being hired as an OC, this is a non issue. However, he's filling another HC vacancy. Therefore, what happened in Colorado is relevant now in terms of not getting fired so quickly this time in a new city. The question is relevant & not counterproductive to me at all. 

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

At least you think so, but trust me, a lot of people live to judge and will bring up that time capsule over and over again, like we Colts fans bring up Spygate or Deflategate over and over again.

Spy Gate falls completely on BB as HC. Deflate Gate falls completely on Brady.

Josh, to me, bears no responsibility for either scandal. I know not everybody looks at it that way. JMO. 

14 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Sounds great, but here's the problem my friend. 

Josh is being hired by INDY to run or coach another football program & the first inclination is to examine his last location coaching. If he was just being hired as an OC, this is a non issue. However, he's filling another HC vacancy. Therefore, what happened in Colorado is relevant now in terms of not getting fired so quickly this time in a new city. The question is relevant & not counterproductive to me at all. 

Again, I disagree with it and will leave it at that. :thmup:

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Everyone wants closure about everything. I wish my friend would own up to him acting like a jerk in situation A, situation B, and do the right thing. I wish my ex-GF would admit she was wrong about me, I wish my daughter's friend's parent would admit her daughter can be difficult and could have possibly engaged in borderline bully like actions towards mine etc. etc. but life does not work that way. 

Touche. There are times when little white lies are better than complete candor. Brutal honesty has it's breaking point. Nobody ever wants that. It's the difference at the beginning of the relationship vs the this won't end well downfall. 

Just because I want Josh to admit what he did, it doesn't mean he ever will. I'm not asking for a pound of flesh here. Just reassurance that the Colts won't lead NFL headlines from less than stellar reasons. I'll just deal with it I guess.