Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would it take for the Bills to move up to 3?

18 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Would you take the Bills two first round draft picks (21, 22) and their two second round picks (53,56) and their next year's first for pick #3?

I, many here, and Ballard would probably take that in an instant. The question is, would the Bills do that trade?

If we did that, I'd be looking to unload 21 and both 2nds we picked up to get back in the top-15. At that point I'd be hoping Nelson or Edmunds is there for the taking. We'd still have #22 and the rest of our picks, on top of another 1st next year. 

At first I wasn't on board, but having extra collateral to move around and possibly having a top-15 and the 22nd pick this year and possibly next year as well, I'd be down for that.

51 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

If we did that, I'd be looking to unload 21 and both 2nds we picked up to get back in the top-15. At that point I'd be hoping Nelson or Edmunds is there for the taking. We'd still have #22 and the rest of our picks, on top of another 1st next year. 

At first I wasn't on board, but having extra collateral to move around and possibly having a top-15 and the 22nd pick this year and possibly next year as well, I'd be down for that.

I think it would be a waste to do a deal like this just to move way back up. The appeal of this deal is how many early draft picks we get. 

If someone we liked fell within 2-3 picks of one our picks and we could go get them by adding a late round pick that's one thing, but I don't like using the 2 2nds to move back into the early first. I would rather have the increased odds of hitting(and/or filling more holes) by having more picks. 

Yes...    I would do that deal.

But....     I don't think Buffalo would.    At this point I don't think Buffalo would do just their two ones and their two twos for this year and NOT include their one for next year.

With Lucks health still a big question mark, there are just so many unknowns.

I'm not sure. It's a ton of draft capital, however, the difference between a top 10 pick and a number 21 pick can be pretty wide. I guess it depends if they really think they can still get an elite prospect at number 21-22 and hit on 3 2nd round picks. Of course with another 1st next year, that could be a big deal if they are patient. 

2 hours ago, esmort said:

I think it would be a waste to do a deal like this just to move way back up. The appeal of this deal is how many early draft picks we get. 

If someone we liked fell within 2-3 picks of one our picks and we could go get them by adding a late round pick that's one thing, but I don't like using the 2 2nds to move back into the early first. I would rather have the increased odds of hitting(and/or filling more holes) by having more picks. 

Of course it is. Why wouldn't you want a possible 10-15'ish pick, along with pick 22, AND the rest of our draft, plus another 1st rounder next year? That's a lot of real estate, and more than any other team can offer this year. Regardless, I still don't think in any scenario we stay at 3, whether it's a small trade back, or the hypothetical scenario that Dustin proposed with Buffalo. With QB needy teams staring up at us, someone is bound to give us a deal that will be hard to refuse. 

43 minutes ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

Of course it is. Why wouldn't you want a possible 10-15'ish pick, along with pick 22, AND the rest of our draft, plus another 1st rounder next year? That's a lot of real estate, and more than any other team can offer this year. Regardless, I still don't think in any scenario we stay at 3, whether it's a small trade back, or the hypothetical scenario that Dustin proposed with Buffalo. With QB needy teams staring up at us, someone is bound to give us a deal that will be hard to refuse. 

I would just rather keep the two 2nd rnd picks and use them, and take whoever is there at 21 instead of using them to move up a 6 or 8 spots. 

Not that it is that big of deal, since I don't see any way Buffalo makes this trade. 

10 hours ago, esmort said:

I would just rather keep the two 2nd rnd picks and use them, and take whoever is there at 21 instead of using them to move up a 6 or 8 spots. 

Not that it is that big of deal, since I don't see any way Buffalo makes this trade. 

You do realize the proposed trade gives us both of their 1st. rd. picks 21 and 22 this year and their two seconds and next years 1st.  You could trade either 21 or 22 and an extra pick to move up.  In theory you would have two 1st's and two seconds this year and an extra 1st. next year. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

You do realize the proposed trade gives us both of their 1st. rd. picks 21 and 22 this year and their two seconds and next years 1st.  You could trade either 21 or 22 and an extra pick to move up.  In theory you would have two 1st's and two seconds this year and an extra 1st. next year. 

Yes I realize that. The poster I responded to suggested using both of the 2nd round picks we received  (not just one) to move back into the top 10 range. Which I would not be in favor of in this trade scenario. 

Using one of the 2nds we received I might be OK with depending on how far up it got us and who the player we went to get was. 

20 hours ago, esmort said:

Think about the math, though. Draft picks are just raw resources.

The other idea that's being floated around is trading with the Jets at #6. That would likely yield #6, #37, #103, and a future 3rd. That's 2218 points in 2018, plus another approx 200 points from the 2019 3rd rounder. http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/01/what_would_it_cost_jets_to_trade_for_colts_no_3_nf.html

Dustin's offer gives you 2300 points in 2018, plus a future 1st with a median value of about 1,000 points.

I think you could move down with the Bills offer, move back up into the top 10, and still come away with similar or better point value than the Jets offer.

The problem is, once you move down, moving back up is just theoretical. You might not have a dance partner, and now you're stuck in the 20s. 

We would be crazy not to do this.  We would have enough to trade back into the middle of the first and have two 1st round picks with still having two 2nd round picks.  You could have some serious game changing talent added with you first 5 picks for sure.  You could possibly end up with multiple picks if this is the only move or end up with something like the 15th, 22nd, 36th, and the 56th pick.  Thats nice for your first 4 picks right there.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

Think about the math, though. Draft picks are just raw resources.

The other idea that's being floated around is trading with the Jets at #6. That would likely yield #6, #37, #103, and a future 3rd. That's 2218 points in 2018, plus another approx 200 points from the 2019 3rd rounder. http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/01/what_would_it_cost_jets_to_trade_for_colts_no_3_nf.html

Dustin's offer gives you 2300 points in 2018, plus a future 1st with a median value of about 1,000 points.

I think you could move down with the Bills offer, move back up into the top 10, and still come away with similar or better point value than the Jets offer.

The problem is, once you move down, moving back up is just theoretical. You might not have a dance partner, and now you're stuck in the 20s. 

I understand what you are saying, and can definitely see where it might be worth it. But, depending on who is there at around 10 (and who could potentially slide) I might be just as content to stay at 21 & 22 and take who falls and load up with the 3 picks in 2nd, or maybe spend less and jump up just a few picks if someone falls into the 15-20 range. 

I might have a different view after FA and depending on how the draft unfolds. If something crazy pushes players down like 5 QBs go in the top 10 (or 4 QBs and 2 WRs ) or some other unexpected players than I can definitely see getting on board with going back up.

19 hours ago, esmort said:

I understand what you are saying, and can definitely see where it might be worth it. But, depending on who is there at around 10 (and who could potentially slide) I might be just as content to stay at 21 & 22 and take who falls and load up with the 3 picks in 2nd, or maybe spend less and jump up just a few picks if someone falls into the 15-20 range. 

I might have a different view after FA and depending on how the draft unfolds. If something crazy pushes players down like 5 QBs go in the top 10 (or 4 QBs and 2 WRs ) or some other unexpected players than I can definitely see getting on board with going back up.

I'm realizing that your objection is more with the move back up, not the move down. I get it, but I personally don't want to go from picking at #3 to picking at #21. I haven't exactly stacked a board, but there's going to be a huge difference in talent level, IMO.