Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Be prepared to overpay for OL

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thank you.    I think this is an important point.

And to that end,  I'd like to float this idea, which may, or may not be as popular...

I'd like to reward AC for playing his best ball.    In late December,  on this website,  Ballard stated Castanzo is playing the best ball of his career.     So, I'd like to send a message,  and just throw him a sweetner.    A 1-year extension with some more guaranteed money.     Just enough to get the attention of those in the locker-room that hard work and improvement will lead to being rewarded.    Nothing earth shaking or nothing that might screw-up our available money for FA.     At least,  I hope not.

Your thoughts?

I have some issues with that. First, I have a problem with AC starting slow every year. Second, I have a problem with extending a player who has two years left.

If AC comes out the gate strong, maybe in late September or early October you give him an extra year at his current average as a pat on the back. 

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

I posted a while back that it would be very tough for Carolina to keep Norwell considering the money they already had tied up in their OL. In some thread I mentioned about the only way they would make it happen without blowing their cap apart was to cut  Ryan Kalil . It would save them 7 mill and cost 3 mill in dead cap. If they know he's for sure gone in 2019 , maybe they could think about keeping Norwell ?

Panthers C Ryan Kalil plans to retire following the 2018 season.

Kalil's 2016 season was cut short because of a shoulder injury, and he was limited to six games last year because of a serious neck injury. Those injuries likely played a role in this decision, but Kalil says he has been cleared and is excited to have a healthy offseason. A second-round pick by the Panthers in 2007, Kalil is entering his 12th season in the league.
Jan 30 - 12:43 PM

Different GM, but the Panthers did decide to pay considerable money for two RBs at the same time a few years ago.

I can't see them paying $24m/year for two guards, though.

2 hours ago, dw49 said:

I posted a while back that it would be very tough for Carolina to keep Norwell considering the money they already had tied up in their OL. In some thread I mentioned about the only way they would make it happen without blowing their cap apart was to cut  Ryan Kalil . It would save them 7 mill and cost 3 mill in dead cap. If they know he's for sure gone in 2019 , maybe they could think about keeping Norwell ?

Panthers C Ryan Kalil plans to retire following the 2018 season.

Kalil's 2016 season was cut short because of a shoulder injury, and he was limited to six games last year because of a serious neck injury. Those injuries likely played a role in this decision, but Kalil says he has been cleared and is excited to have a healthy offseason. A second-round pick by the Panthers in 2007, Kalil is entering his 12th season in the league.
Jan 30 - 12:43 PM

I don't know if they would cut one of their popular players after he announced he is retiring after the 2018 season.  It doesn't really send a good message to the rest of the locker room.  I suppose they could but his announced retirement changes everything IMO.

17 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I don't know if they would cut one of their popular players after he announced he is retiring after the 2018 season.  It doesn't really send a good message to the rest of the locker room.  I suppose they could but his announced retirement changes everything IMO.

thats a good point

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

Different GM, but the Panthers did decide to pay considerable money for two RBs at the same time a few years ago.

I can't see them paying $24m/year for two guards, though.

I agree that they have too much tied into the O line and posted about it a while ago. Wouldn't be 24 mill as Turner is 7.7 for 2018 and 8.7 for 2019, But your point is well taken.

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I agree that they have too much tied into the O line and posted about it a while ago. Wouldn't be 24 mill as Turner is 7.7 for 2018 and 8.7 for 2019, But your point is well taken.

I was talking about Turner's reported average. But, that average ignores that his four year extension is spread over five total years, so his cap will average about $9.4m. Plug Norwell in at $12-13m, and it's a combined average of more like $22m. Still...

Unless they tag him at $13m - 14.5m (transition or normal), he's probably going to hit the market, and have multiple suitors. Expect Gettleman to be the first call, even though he's the one who tendered Norwell and extended Turner last year. He might have had his hands tied by ownership.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I was talking about Turner's reported average. But, that average ignores that his four year extension is spread over five total years, so his cap will average about $9.4m. Plug Norwell in at $12-13m, and it's a combined average of more like $22m. Still...

Unless they tag him at $13m - 14.5m (transition or normal), he's probably going to hit the market, and have multiple suitors. Expect Gettleman to be the first call, even though he's the one who tendered Norwell and extended Turner last year. He might have had his hands tied by ownership.

I think he is around 80% likely to be a FA.  He'll have suitors , but not too many Gm's want to say 13+ for a guard. It's funny how we all want Ballard to sign him and for all we know Ballard might not even SLIGHTLY consider spending that on a guard. 

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I think he is around 80% likely to be a FA.  He'll have suitors , but not too many Gm's want to say 13+ for a guard. It's funny how we all want Ballard to sign him and for all we know Ballard might not even SLIGHTLY consider spending that on a guard. 

Yup, just because I've talked myself into it doesn't mean Ballard has done the same. 

Buuuuuutttt, I had to talk myself into McDaniels, and Ballard is getting ready to hire him, so, if you're in the mood to read meaning into absolutely meaningless coincidences, there you go.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Yup, just because I've talked myself into it doesn't mean Ballard has done the same. 

Buuuuuutttt, I had to talk myself into McDaniels, and Ballard is getting ready to hire him, so, if you're in the mood to read meaning into absolutely meaningless coincidences, there you go.

Yeah i too like the new coach and the idea of spending whatever it takes to sign Norwell.