Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

#FeedMoncrief

Dark Superman

Here's a little tribute featuring some Donte Moncrief highlights. Donte's become one of my favorite Colts players and I really hope he returns to Indianapolis next year. He has chemistry with Luck and hopefully, he decides to come back and join a healthy Andrew Luck in Josh Mcdaniels system that I believe a guy like Moncrief could really benefit from.

Gotta love the song playing in the background of the video. #FeedMoncrief

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGvkYsWzQ0g

I really liked Moncrief to but unfortunately think his talent was wasted with Pagano and Co. Hopefully we retain him on a 2 year deal but I think the colts will let him walk and he will be picked up by another team and have a breakout year as a number 2 WR.

4 minutes ago, neug3246 said:

I really liked Moncrief to but unfortunately think his talent was wasted with Pagano and Co. Hopefully we retain him on a 2 year deal but I think the colts will let him walk and he will be picked up by another team and have a breakout year as a number 2 WR.

I would bring him back only if the price tag isn't too high if it is let him walk.

I think he has been slowed by poor protection for our QBs, lackluster coaching, and a bit of a diva complex. If we can get him back for a decent deal, I hope we do. He has all the tools to become a good WR, I think the lack of chemistry with Luck and the continued protection issues really hurt him at times. If a healthy Andrew Luck comes back, McDaniels could use him in a lot of ways. I would go after a legit #2 in the off season though.

2 hours ago, KING. said:

Here's a little tribute featuring some Donte Moncrief highlights. Donte's become one of my favorite Colts players and I really hope he returns to Indianapolis next year. He has chemistry with Luck and hopefully, he decides to come back and join a healthy Andrew Luck in Josh Mcdaniels system that I believe a guy like Moncrief could really benefit from.

#FireMoncrief dude sucks.  he's regressed and cant catch a ball if it was glued to his hands

There are times when he shows some real flashes of greatness. And then there are numerous times where he's just flat out whiffed on catching passes that should have been easy grabs. 

Like @lollygagger8 said, if we can get him on the cheap it's worth continuing to try. If not, nah. I don't think the production will ever match the potential. 

I would love to keep Moncrief, but i’m on the fence with him.  Starting to feel like a Tavon Austin to me.  I don’t think moncrief will be someone we know he can be.  You can say he produces better with Luck, but I feel like you should still produce something with the QB you have.  TY isn’t as good, but he still produce with subpar QB play.  If Moncrief was a real #2, he would’ve shown it by now without Luck, or atleast flashes.  He is almost none existent

He was a third round pick, I'm not sure exactly what everyone here wanted out of him.  You want another stud, you got to pay the price for one.  The Colts I think got exactly what they paid for, he is what he is.  Complaining about a third round pick at a skill position making 700k is setting a pretty high bar.  The Colts have had far worse at much higher prices.  Clearly we all hoped he'd become a true #2, but that would have been the unlikely result, him playing elsewhere after his first contract I'd argue is the more normal outcome, especially for WRs who seem to bounce around collecting their million dollar salaries all doing about 30 catches for 400 yards and a couple TDs.  

Now the fact that he failed completely in a contract year, couldn't overcome adversity or play through seemingly minor injuries, and being woefully inconsistent means he probably should be replaced.  The caution I'd have is, to replace him will cost at least a third round pick again (higher if you want a stud), or free agent money which surely will mean over-paying, because that's what happens in free agency.  Players like Albert Wilson, Jaron Brown, and Paul Richardson, all statistically around Donte, are already making around $2 mil a season, so they'll cost more.  The likes of Sammy Watkins earned almost $5 mil this season. 

I also don't see Donte running a lot of shallow crosses and working off of picks in a more McDaniels-like offense, I don't think he's suited for that game. 

3 hours ago, NextGenerationLuck said:

I’d rather have Martavis Bryant 

Nah, Bryant is one positive test from having a lifetime ban. It would also cost a lot of money that could be used to sign another receiver who don't have the risk. He also was a huge distraction to the Steelers this last season. That is after the Steelers stood behind him for a long time. No thanks.

3 hours ago, Str8himalaya said:

I think he has been slowed by poor protection for our QBs, lackluster coaching, and a bit of a diva complex. If we can get him back for a decent deal, I hope we do. He has all the tools to become a good WR, I think the lack of chemistry with Luck and the continued protection issues really hurt him at times. If a healthy Andrew Luck comes back, McDaniels could use him in a lot of ways. I would go after a legit #2 in the off season though.

He did have chemistry with Luck in the red zone.

Keep him and see if Luck and him can learn to work together under a different offensive scheme.

56 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

im trying to figure out what a good incentive contract for him would look like

the most TDs he had in a season was 7 in 2016.  maybe give him a million or two if he can hit that number again.  

The problem with Moncrief was never TD's it was yards.  He just didn't do anything between the 20's.  

If we're gonna have an incentive based contract on him I want a certain number of yards and/or receptions.  

I'd like to see him get at least 500 receiving yards and honestly if he's playing with Andrew Luck for the whole season I don't think it's too much to ask to see him get 700 receiving yards.  

There are a lot of #2 guys with a lot worst QB's who are getting significantly more yards then Moncrief.  

1 hour ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I also don't see Donte running a lot of shallow crosses and working off of picks in a more McDaniels like offense, I don't think he's suited for that game. 

It is also about the will to block. In the Patriots offense, bigger WR's are often expected to free smaller WR's with selfless, hard nosed blocking, and timely picks. I have not watched enough film on this specifically, but I don't remember Donte being that kind of guy in his heart. He seems to want to be THE guy catching passes. 

2 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

He is a head case because I have seen him quit on plays that targeted him and he could have caught the ball and sometimes I don't think he gives full effort.

I’m not sure that qualifies as a “head case”. Not being motivated, not playing hard.. but head case, no. 

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

It is also about the will to block. In the Patriots offense, bigger WR's are often expected to free smaller WR's with selfless, hard nosed blocking, and timely picks. I have not watched enough film on this specifically, but I don't remember Donte being that kind of guy in his heart. He seems to want to be THE guy catching passes. 

Really good point.  I think Donte, and perhaps Treadwell after him, became that kind of WR at Ole Miss.  They were kings in Oxford.  The NFL has much brighter lights, and a much deeper talent pool. 

7 hours ago, KING. said:

I haven't noticed any real progression in his route running ability after 4 seasons.
So i will take a shot that there is work ethic and IQ issues. Can't see him as a McDaniels guy at all.

He had a good 2015 season. 700 yards and 6 scores. That was with mostly Matt Hasselbeck at QB and the quick pass offense. 

I feel McDaniels could find use for him, especially with Luck returning. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back on a cheap 1 year deal, but I still think the colts should sign another FA WR.

17 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

He had a good 2015 season. 700 yards and 6 scores. That was with mostly Matt Hasselbeck at QB and the quick pass offense. 

I feel McDaniels could find use for him, especially with Luck returning. Wouldn't be opposed to bringing him back on a cheap 1 year deal, but I still think the colts should sign another FA WR.

If McDaniels was onboard with the trade for Dorsett I can see him being okay with keeping a big receiver like Moncrief and seeing if Luck can rekindle their chemistry.  They still should sign another WR.  I'm hoping for Watkins or Landry.  If we trade back and get extra picks than drafting one is more likely.  

Id preferably like to draft talented receivers. I don't see Ballard going after receivers in free agency. He's probably going to get an offensive linemen, and some linebackers that fit our new scheme. There has to be a Cupp type receiver in this draft.

1 hour ago, throwing BBZ said:

I haven't noticed any real progression in his route running ability after 4 seasons.
So i will take a shot that there is work ethic and IQ issues. Can't see him as a McDaniels guy at all.

Isn't that why McDaniel's is being hired?  To coach?  And where did this IQ issue arise?  It's easy to kick someone while they are down.