Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts to play in Thursday night opener?

coltsorioles

If it's the Eagles, probably not. They play Carolina, Minnesota and the Falcons all at home, plus any of the NFC East match ups. All those teams would probably go before Indy.

But if it's NE, honestly they probably will. Green Bay does visit fox borough next season, as do Minny, but I feel like the McDaniels return to NE, and Luck returning from injury would create bigger/better story lines. Also gives the league a good chance to revive this pretty dead rivalry. KC also goes to NE but they just played them opening night. 

Side note, both McDaniels and Patricia go against the Patriots next year with their new teams. Will be interesting to see how those games go. 

11 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Regardless of when the game takes place, at the very minimum, it'll be a primetime matchup.

You're saying it's definite, I don't agree. We're the weakest opponent. They play Jaguars, Titans, Vikings, Steelers, Chiefs next season.  Even the Pats are unlikely to get more than 6 national TV games.

22 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

The league must think Luck will be playing to have us in that game. 

AFC South plays AFC East in 2018.  It's speculation, by some, that Colts will play the Pats on the Thursday night season opener if Pats win SB.  The actual game dates won't be decided until the spring.

It don't make any difference to me. If next years team is going to make any noise we might as well start off playing the top other teams. That is the only way to get better and see where more talent is needed.

To expect this team to be one of the top teams next season it has to be competitive with those type of teams. We already know who we are going to play we just don't know the exact schedules. It don't matter. If we cant beat those teams in the beginning of the schedule I highly doubt it would change later in the season.

2 hours ago, Roger said:

You're saying it's definite, I don't agree. We're the weakest opponent. They play Jaguars, Titans, Vikings, Steelers, Chiefs next season.  Even the Pats are unlikely to get more than 6 national TV games.

None of those teams besides Pittsburgh presents an elite QB matchup, & a healthy Luck at Foxboro just doesn’t have the feel of a 1EST football game to me. Is it definite? Of course not, but I just can’t see the NFL keeping Luck vs Brady out of a primetime slot, especially considering how bad QB play was this year, & the way ratings slipped as a result.

5 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

None of those teams besides Pittsburgh presents an elite QB matchup, & a healthy Luck at Foxboro just doesn’t have the feel of a 1EST football game to me. Is it definite? Of course not, but I just can’t see the NFL keeping Luck vs Brady out of a primetime slot, especially considering how bad QB play was this year, & the way ratings slipped as a result.

We also differ as to why ratings are down again.  It's because people are disgusted by protesting during the national anthem.

2 hours ago, Roger said:

We also differ as to why ratings are down again.  It's because people are disgusted by protesting during the national anthem.

There are several reasons the rating are down not just players protesting.

1- The game getting less violent. Like it or not the violence plays a part in people watching. Thus the rise in MMA

2-Limiting and laws in some states stopping Fan Duel and DraftKings. Rating spiked when there was no laws governing them

3-Officiating

4-The younger generation is not into the NFL. They are busy watching their cell phones and youtube. Ect ect...

5-Oversaturation.

6-The concussion issues. Young athletes are moving away to other sports for various reasons. The two other sports are paying their players more money with less abuse to their bodies. The parents of young players are swaying their kids away from football are just a couple

7-Lack of competitive games especially on Thursday nights. And that to the oversaturation makes it even more apparent.

8-First it was the NO Fun League now it's over the top celebrations.

13 hours ago, Roger said:

Let's not forget, the Colts were the third worst NFL team this year.  How often has the opening game featured a 3-13 team?

Luck has been the subject of a lot of media coverage all season. Add McDaniels to the mix and the Colts record will mean little to the media coverage and the fans wanting to watch.

2 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

There are several reasons the rating are down not just players protesting.

1- The game getting less violent. Like it or not the violence plays a part in people watching. Thus the rise in MMA

2-Limiting and laws in some states stopping Fan Duel and DraftKings. Rating spiked when there was no laws governing them

3-Officiating

4-The younger generation is not into the NFL. They are busy watching their cell phones and youtube. Ect ect...

5-Oversaturation.

6-The concussion issues. Young athletes are moving away to other sports for various reasons. The two other sports are paying their players more money with less abuse to their bodies. The parents of young players are swaying their kids away from football are just a couple

7-Lack of competitive games especially on Thursday nights. And that to the oversaturation makes it even more apparent.

8-First it was the NO Fun League now it's over the top celebrations.

maybe people are tired of the patriots too

7 straight AFC champ games, only losing to the manning brothers 

55 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

maybe people are tired of the patriots too

7 straight AFC champ games, only losing to the manning brothers 

Nah, I don't think so. This last weekend game was one of the highest rated games of the season. Even if they are tired of the Pats they tuned in to see if the Jags could knock off the Pats so it just drives up the ratings.

17 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Nah, I don't think so. This last weekend game was one of the highest rated games of the season. Even if they are tired of the Pats they tuned in to see if the Jags could knock off the Pats so it just drives up the ratings.

maybe for that one game, people tune in to see if they get beat

i know it does hurt my interest in football

22 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

maybe for that one game, people tune in to see if they get beat

i know it does hurt my interest in football

I understand but the NFL is no different than any other sport. They have to have a bad guy and that draws ratings. The media catering just makes it worse. The magnification of the refs throwing or not throwing yellow flags adds to the drama. Drama sells.

The league suffers from too many interpretations instead of facts when it comes to defining things like catches and fumbles.  Official reviews that sometimes seem to take way too much time are nerve racking. That stupid folded paper first down official incident did the league no favors. We all hear the game is changing but when you change something you need to take a long time to try it out before you apply it. Also, I am a little tired of hearing about the multi-millions of dollars when it comes to evaluating players. How they dress before games is included in all the post game shows. Who cares what kind of shoes or hats they wear? One could make a case for concluding the media, lawyers and greed are doing a lot of damage to what was at one time a fun game to watch.

1 hour ago, King Colt said:

The league suffers from too many interpretations instead of facts when it comes to defining things like catches and fumbles.  Official reviews that sometimes seem to take way too much time are nerve racking. That stupid folded paper first down official incident did the league no favors. We all hear the game is changing but when you change something you need to take a long time to try it out before you apply it. Also, I am a little tired of hearing about the multi-millions of dollars when it comes to evaluating players. How they dress before games is included in all the post game shows. Who cares what kind of shoes or hats they wear? One could make a case for concluding the media, lawyers and greed are doing a lot of damage to what was at one time a fun game to watch.

Did you get it out of your system? 

I think you bring a couple of issue out that has nothing to do with bringing ratings down.

As far as the how they dress issue these players are traveling in the public. Not too many jobs any of us work at allow us to dress as we see fit.

On January 23, 2018 at 2:46 PM, NorthernBlue said:

Side note, both McDaniels and Patricia go against the Patriots next year with their new teams. Will be interesting to see how those games go. 

McDaniels will do well. All I care about is that he gets Luck a faster football release. 

I can see why Patricia went to Detroit. Stafford in place, good GM, expectations not as high as say in NY. Also, lower standard of living in Motor City meaning the dollar stretches farther salary wise. 

I still feel bad for Jim Caldwell. That team played hard for Jim. He deserved 1 more yr minimum IMO. 

On 1/23/2018 at 7:04 PM, Roger said:

And I can see the Jags getting the nod anyways since that game was yet another Brady 4th quarter comeback.  BUT I as a fan would enjoy the banner being Rosen and worry little on the results of the field. If I have learned anything in almost 20 years watching Brady and BB it is that September matters very little.

i hope Colts embrace this next year, because September McD still be tweeeking the team and we'll be the first time he seen them under true game conditions IMO November and December show you more what kind of coach he will be.

29 minutes ago, JimJaime said:

And I can see the Jags getting the nod anyways since that game was yet another Brady 4th quarter comeback.  BUT I as a fan would enjoy the banner being Rosen and worry little on the results of the field. If I have learned anything in almost 20 years watching Brady and BB it is that September matters very little.

i hope Colts embrace this next year, because September McD still be tweeeking the team and we'll be the first time he seen them under true game conditions IMO November and December show you more what kind of coach he will be.

Not just saying this because I am a Colts fan but Colts at Pats would draw more ratings and be much more of a storyline than Jags at Pats. This season was the first time the Jags have even been relevant in 10 years. The history the Colts/Pats have + McDaniels return to NE and Luck returns will draw huge interest. If Luck is 100% healthy we will instantly be much better.

41 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not just saying this because I am a Colts fan but Colts at Pats would draw more ratings and be much more of a storyline than Jags at Pats. This season was the first time the Jags have even been relevant in 10 years. The history the Colts/Pats have + McDaniels return to NE and Luck returns will draw huge interest. If Luck is 100% healthy we will instantly be much better.

Except for Indy fans, nobody thinks anything about Colts / Pats.  Some Indy fans think there is still a rivalry.  There is not.  Maybe there will be again.  But the old rivalry is expired.

6 minutes ago, Roger said:

Except for Indy fans, nobody thinks anything about Colts / Pats.  Some Indy fans think there is still a rivalry.  There is not.  Maybe there will be again.  But the old rivalry is expired.

Never said it was a rivalry as of now but the teams have major history = old Playoff games even in the Luck era, the Deflategate stuff, etc.. Guarantee a Colts at Pats matchup would draw more interest with McDaniels returning and Luck back. Also we sure do have a lot of Pats fans on our forum for them not to care what we are doing, don't you find that odd? There are at least 5 or 6 Pats fans that Post in here a lot. If their fanbase didn't follow us, we wouldn't have any Pats fans in here. I don't see any other fans of other teams in here regularly. No Steelers fans, no Jags fans, etc.. 1 Texan fan = Qwizboy regarding rivals.

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Never said it was a rivalry as of now but the teams have major history = old Playoff games even in the Luck era, the Deflategate stuff, etc.. Guarantee a Colts at Pats matchup would draw more interest with McDaniels returning and Luck back. Also we sure do have a lot of Pats fans on our forum for them not to care what we are doing, don't you find that odd? There are at least 5 or 6 Pats fans that Post in here a lot. If their fanbase didn't follow us, we wouldn't have any Pats fans in here. I don't see any other fans of other teams in here regularly. No Steelers fans, no Jags fans, etc.. 1 Texan fan = Qwizboy regarding rivals.

A few Pats fans are here just to * on our shoes.  First year they have a worse team than the Colts, they'll disappear.