Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

12 minutes ago, NextGenerationLuck said:

Let’s keep the outcast from San Fran going. He’s the ground and pound runner I think would work beautiful with Marlon Mack. I know he has some injury concerns, but this would allow us to look Past Barkley and take Chubb. 

We have a section for this.....

http://forums.colts.com/forum/13-nfl-draft-scouting-and-free-agent-talk/

I like him or Crowell. 

Hyde I think has more talent then Crowell but Crowell seems to get hurt less.  

But I would prefer to turn to FA for an RB.  It's a cheap position to fill.  The advantage of the draft over FA is that the draft provides you with players on a contract that is relatively cheap.  But free agent RB's are already kind of cheap anyways.  

And I hate the idea of investing a first round pick on one.  When you invest a first round pick you are looking for a 10 year player.  But most RB's can't play for that long.  They also get hurt a lot too.

I'd rather use a third rounder on either Georgia back, Chubb or Michel.  Michel because of speed won't likely be there, but Chubb I bet will.  I think using the third round pick on a RB or WR will turn into a productive player.  I'd love Chubb or DJ Moore from Maryland at that point.  Assuming the Colts go defense and OL or D and D with the first two picks. 

3 hours ago, NextGenerationLuck said:

Let’s keep the outcast from San Fran going. He’s the ground and pound runner I think would work beautiful with Marlon Mack. I know he has some injury concerns, but this would allow us to look Past Barkley and take Chubb. 

Too injury prone and Barkley is a better back than Hyde.

It would be a solid signing. McDaniels uses multiple backs in his system and I think Hyde can be the leader. He caught 59 balls last year so he can also double as a receiving threat. Mack, Hyde, Draft Pick, and another FA signing would be a solid backfield for luck. It also leaves us with financial freedom that we already had. 

4 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

No reason to waste a pick on a RB when we have way more holes to fill. Barkley would be a luxury pick. And we don't have that luxury. We don't have Von Miller and Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett. We have Sheard, Simon, and Basham. We need Chubb, and other impact playmakers on D. Not a freaking RB in RD1 when we can get some back just as good in RD2 or RD3. Its like this. Had you rather have Melvin Gordan or Christian McCaffery or Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara, or Jordan Howard ? Or what about Bell and David Johnson who were 2nd RD picks. Johnson may have been a 3rd cant remember. Point is this. You can easily find a feature back in RD2 or 3. We're not wasting a 1st on Barkley unless we trade back and get an extra 1st and an extra 3rd.

5 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Heres a tip....

Barkley is better than EVERY RB in free agency AND every RB in the draft.

That means between now and the draft, more than three months...   every single time any poster says they'd like this running back or that running back, you can simply say "Barkley is a better back".

We get the point..   you want the Colts to draft Barkley.    Is that about it?

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

No reason to waste a pick on a RB when we have way more holes to fill. Barkley would be a luxury pick. And we don't have that luxury. We don't have Von Miller and Shane Ray and Shaq Barrett. We have Sheard, Simon, and Basham. We need Chubb, and other impact playmakers on D. Not a freaking RB in RD1 when we can get some back just as good in RD2 or RD3. Its like this. Had you rather have Melvin Gordan or Christian McCaffery or Kareem Hunt, Alvin Kamara, or Jordan Howard ? Or what about Bell and David Johnson who were 2nd RD picks. Johnson may have been a 3rd cant remember. Point is this. You can easily find a feature back in RD2 or 3. We're not wasting a 1st on Barkley unless we trade back and get an extra 1st and an extra 3rd.

Some of that can be filled in FA my top three are Barkley , Chubb and Nelson.

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Heres a tip....

barkley us better than EVERY RB in free agency AND every RB in the draft.

That means between now and the draft, more than three months...   every single time anyboister says they'd like this running back or that running back, you can simply say "Barkley is a better back".

We get the point..   you want the Colts to draft Barkley.    Is that about it?

I'm not saying 100% the colts are * if they don't if they draft him then that would be a good pick cause he could take our offense to the next level but I would be happy with him Chubb or even Nelson.

I'd be down with Mack, Hyde, and Chubb trio. Somebody is going to laugh at me but a part of me is interested to see what Mcdaniels does with Josh Ferguson. He does have some Shane Vereen type ability in the passing game, screen game. Wonder if Mcdaniels cuts him or keeps him around and brings out the talent we were looking for? Ehhh probably be better to cut him and bring Deion Lewis back. Have a committee of Mack, Hyde, Chubb, Deion Lewis.

7 hours ago, krunk said:

I'd be down with Mack, Hyde, and Chubb trio. Somebody is going to laugh at me but a part of me is interested to see what Mcdaniels does with Josh Ferguson. He does have some Shane Vereen type ability in the passing game, screen game. Wonder if Mcdaniels cuts him or keeps him around and brings out the talent we were looking for? Ehhh probably be better to cut him and bring Deion Lewis back. Have a committee of Mack, Hyde, Chubb, Deion Lewis.

Why pay Hyde if you bring in Chubb and Lewis? Personally, I'm intrigued to see if Matt jones can revive his career.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

Why pay Hyde if you bring in Chubb and Lewis? Personally, I'm intrigued to see if Matt jones can revive his career.

New England had 5 RB between Bolden, Burkhead, Gilleslie, Lewis, White.  6 if you include the fullback Devlin. 2 of them pound the ball types, 3 of them slashers. I'm not sure if wed do 5 in Indy but 4 yes. Just trying to match what they had. You can do Matt Jones or Chubb I suppose. Dont see a problem with paying Hyde. He wont get a kings ransom. The more I think about it the more I can see us drafting Chubb. They had a similar committee at Georgia and Ballard likes getting players off Championship squads.

On 1/22/2018 at 10:37 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I'd love to sign Hyde, but I'm expecting the 49ers to re-sign him before Free Agency.

I hope I'm wrong, but fear I'm right.

You probably are right... the 49ers would be smart to retain Hyde, who along with Brieda, Mostert and FB Kyle Juscyzyk... formed a solid "RB by committee" once Garoppolo stepped in.

Not only do I agree they will probably re-sign Hyde, but with 115m in cap space... and I hate to add this stinkbomb... they may just poach G Andrew Norwell in free agency as well. Their interior OL could use upgrading... and GM John Lynch is armed with a ton of cap $$$ and a team culture that could really attract some high profile FAs.

23 hours ago, krunk said:

it wouldn't be a committee with those backs. and we wouldn't draft chubb if we sign Hyde & Lewis

2 hours ago, Stoney said:

it wouldn't be a committee with those backs. and we wouldn't draft chubb if we sign Hyde & Lewis

Explain. Lets not deal in absolutes because I'm sure its happened before. Hyde is no Leveon Bell and Chubb is used to being in committee. Even when New England had Maroney and Corey Dillon they still used multiple backs. Dont see how that changes anything with what I proposed.

I’m not at all saying that we should draft Barkley at 3, I’m just pointing out that we haven’t had a really good running back since Edge or Addai. And yet people still claim you can find a really good RB in later rounds, and they’ll rattle off a bunch of names while completely forgetting the names of the numerous mid to late rounders who faded into obscurity. We’ve picked late rounders, Mack just last year, and yet here we are still looking for a running back.

By the way,  if the 49ers end up keeping Hyde,  as I suspect they will,   I'd be OK taking a long look at Jeremy HIll.   Similar size and skill set.    I think they were drafted with back to back picks late in the 2nd round four years ago.

Hill has been injured more than Hyde,  but I think has played pretty well when healthy.    But now that Cincy has pushed their chips into the middle with Joe Mixon,  and they still have Bernardi,  perhaps Hill can be stolen.

And this does not lesson my interest in drafting a solid RB at the top of the 4th round.     That's where I think the value for the Colts will be the strongest. 

I could also see us take a look at this guy for the Legarret Blount role also

jaguars-35.png  Jaguars | Chris Ivory looks to be a goner    Wed Jan 31, 10:47 PM

Jacksonville Jaguars RB Chris Ivory 'sure seems like a goner at this point,' according to Mike Kaye of FirstCoastNews.com. He added that 'dropping Ivory would be nothing short of a formality at this point,' even though his contract still has 'plenty' of dead money.

Link to story
Chris Ivory player page

3 minutes ago, krunk said:

Could also see us picking up Jeremy Hill.    Think he'd do well here along with Marlon Mack.

Personally I would love Hill.  A thumper who can be a great compliment with Mack.  Still use Turbin for any short yardage as well.  Plus, Hill to me might get around 4 mil a year and would be a contract we can work with.  From there you do not need to use any picks on this area and hit the D side and o-line/WR.

7 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Personally I would love Hill.  A thumper who can be a great compliment with Mack.  Still use Turbin for any short yardage as well.  Plus, Hill to me might get around 4 mil a year and would be a contract we can work with.  From there you do not need to use any picks on this area and hit the D side and o-line/WR.

Hill is pretty big.   I didn't realize he was 6'2" and darn near 240lbs