Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Daniel Jeremiah's NFL.com First Mock Draft

Jeremiah who I actually like as an evaluator from NFL.com came out with his first draft. He always has a little bit different take on players, and his first draft which just came out, since he waits until after practices are over for the East West Shrine Game are over is interesting. A lot of names I have heard before, but not linked to the first round. It will be interesting to see how much things change before and after the draft, because names always come up into the first round I never really knew. That is why I like looking at his drafts, and he is right a lot of the time.

First thing that caught my eye was how much he likes Davenport and Edmunds. I have seen Hughes sneaking up boards into the first round although he has not been discussed much. Isiah Wynn and James Daniel are players I will need to check out since I had not even heard their names, and have not seen one in the first round on other mocks, although Walter Football has Wynn in the 2nd I believe. One name I thought would be on here although he does mention it, is Dallas Goedert, but he says the two TE's are interchangable picks basically. I would love to get Goedert in the 2nd round. Another Dallas at TE for us would be perfect, and people really like his game. Their are 3 really good TE's, the other from Oklahoma, so it will be interesting to see where they all go. Thoughts on all the new names?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000908233/article/jeremiah-mock-draft-10-browns-jets-fins-redskins-take-qb

7 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Jeremiah who I actually like as an evaluator from NFL.com came out with his first draft. He always has a little bit different take on players, and his first draft which just came out, since he waits until after practices are over for the East West Shrine Game are over is interesting. A lot of names I have heard before, but not linked to the first round. It will be interesting to see how much things change before and after the draft, because names always come up into the first round I never really knew. That is why I like looking at his drafts, and he is right a lot of the time.

First thing that caught my eye was how much he likes Davenport and Edmunds. I have seen Hughes sneaking up boards into the first round although he has not been discussed much. Isiah Wynn and James Daniel are players I will need to check out since I had not even heard their names, and have not seen one in the first round on other mocks, although Walter Football has Wynn in the 2nd I believe. One name I thought would be on here although he does mention it, is Dallas Goedert, but he says the two TE's are interchangable picks basically. I would love to get Goedert in the 2nd round. Another Dallas at TE for us would be perfect, and people really like his game. Their are 3 really good TE's, the other from Oklahoma, so it will be interesting to see where they all go. Thoughts on all the new names?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000908233/article/jeremiah-mock-draft-10-browns-jets-fins-redskins-take-qb

We have a starting TE.      Jack Doyle.

The Colts have so many needs and a new starting TE isn't one of them.      Why would we take a TE at the top of the 2nd when there are so many other positions of importance to address?      We might take a TE on Day 3,  but I wouldn't hold my breath for anything sooner than that....   

This is the problem at times with a board, meanings just don't really come across, although I should not have said I would love a TE in the second round. My point is TE is a very important cog in McDaniel's offense, just look at the last few years and what he has run. Doyle is good, but we need an upgrade, but I agree we have other more pressing needs in the 2nd, unless we were to trade back, get an extra second and one of the top TE's falls. Ballard is a BPA guy, but trust me I do understand the pressing needs aspect.

The other point I was trying to make was how special Dallas Clark was, and comparisons Goedert has been drawing reminded me of those days of Manning throwing to Dallas down the seam. I think we can all agree the name "Dallas" brings up some pretty good memories! The seam due to CB's not allowed to go high anymore is so vulnerable, I want a TE who can make those huge chunk plays again. It will be a big part of McDaniel's offense. Gronkowski is a stud, but McDaniel's offense highlights that position. That was my main point about TE's.

One name which intrigues me who Kiper and Jeremiah are really high on is Tremaine Edmunds. If we were to trade back several picks and Nelson was not there, Edmunds would seem to be a really good fit. Seems like he has a really high ceiling. Of course, I only would move back if we get a really good deal, and still can get a really good player. I think as long as we stay in the top 10, we can come away with both.

22 hours ago, loudnproudcolt said:

This is the problem at times with a board, meanings just don't really come across, although I should not have said I would love a TE in the second round. My point is TE is a very important cog in McDaniel's offense, just look at the last few years and what he has run. Doyle is good, but we need an upgrade, but I agree we have other more pressing needs in the 2nd, unless we were to trade back, get an extra second and one of the top TE's falls. Ballard is a BPA guy, but trust me I do understand the pressing needs aspect.

The other point I was trying to make was how special Dallas Clark was, and comparisons Goedert has been drawing reminded me of those days of Manning throwing to Dallas down the seam. I think we can all agree the name "Dallas" brings up some pretty good memories! The seam due to CB's not allowed to go high anymore is so vulnerable, I want a TE who can make those huge chunk plays again. It will be a big part of McDaniel's offense. Gronkowski is a stud, but McDaniel's offense highlights that position. That was my main point about TE's.

Gronk is special, but the patriots also won the title without him last year.  If Ballard were to select a TE with the 2nd pick he would to need to be supremely confident in his ability to become elite.