Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldunclemark

Jacksonville (+7.5) at New England (1-21-18)

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

55 seconds, 2 timeouts and a knee!

I don't want to ask Blake to make plays downfield

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

14-10......Jax....a lot better than I thought they'd be

Yeah I agree but watch what happens now. Lets see how the 3rd Qtr goes.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

55 secons, 2 timeouts and a knee!

They aren't peyton. Although, we did it in the superbowl against the saints.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Defenseless receiver....doesn't matter.

Every receiver is defenseless when making a catch doesn’t mean you can’t hit them.

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Its unnecessary roughness to hit the person receiving a pass?

Yes, if it is in the head/neck area. A receiver must become a runner before that is allowed. Defenseless Receiver rule... the second call was suspect on the P.I. but it was illegal contact at the minimum as defender made contact well pas the 5 yard line beyond the line of scrimmage.  So it wa sat least a 5 yard penalty and auto 1st down, but they gave them the P.I. instead.

Just now, dgambill said:

Every receiver is defenseless when making a catch doesn’t mean you can’t hit them.

You just can't hit them in the head...accident or not.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Defenseless receiver....doesn't matter.

Shouldn't be considered defenseless. Just a dumb rule by the NFL, IMO. If going to catch a pass makes one defenseless every tackle should be a flag.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He turned his body to avoid targeting him. Gronk just stumbled down to him. There was nothing he could do to avoid it he even pulled up.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Cant hit a receiver in the head / neck area until he is clearly established as a 'runner'

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defenseless-player/

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Shouldn't be considered defensess. Just a dumb rule by the NFL, IMO. If going to catch a pass makes one defenseless every tackle should be a flag.

Blame it on the NFL getting sued by former players. 

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Shouldn't be considered defenseless. Just a dumb rule by the NFL, IMO. If going to catch a pass makes one defenseless every tackle should be a flag.

If he leads with the other shoulder he probably doesn't get the penalty.  Easy for me to say from my recliner though.

1 minute ago, superrep1967 said:

Blame it on the NFL getting sued by former players. 

That's exactly right...The NFL had to do something to limit obvious head shots whether they're intentional or not (and that one was kinda intentional)

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

you can hit the receiver, you just can't touch his helmet in any fashion while in a defenseless position, even by 'accident' or it is a penalty.  It is the rule.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

You just can't hit them in the head...accident or not.

I agree but when the receiver falls like that into you and your turning and not leading with the head...that to me is not the spirit of the rule. It only got called because he didn’t get up...but there was no targeting nothing...it’s not the defenders fault Gronks head dropped when he stumbled and the sides hit each other. I can live with that call to protect guys but then to follow it up with PI when the receiver ran his route out of bounds because the defender pinched him that’s just perfect defense...horrible.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

If he leads with the other shoulder he probably doesn't get the penalty.  Easy for me to say from my recliner though.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. 

Just now, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Gronk will definitely be back lol

That issue is being 'decided' as we speak and I think you know how it will be decided

Just now, bluebombers87 said:

And if that players moves his head/neck into the path of said defender?

Still a penalty.  Just bad fortune for the defender, but now a part of the game. It won't be change back, either

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Still a penalty.  Just bad fortune for the defender, but now a part of the game. It won't be change back, either

So the point is to deter those hrs. How does one not do something they can’t control?

Just now, oldunclemark said:

That issue is being 'decided' as we speak and I think you know how it will be decided

I'm all about safety first.  If he's showing signs of concussion he should sit.   And I'm not just saying that because I want the Jags to win.    I'm not heartless...   His well being should come first.

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

you can hit the receiver, you just can't touch his helmet in any fashion while in a defenseless position, even by 'accident' or it is a penalty.  It is the rule.

That’s the rule...that isn’t the spirit of the rule. It’s meant to protect receivers from being targeted and defenders from leading with crown and having head to head collisions. Not a wr who trips and falls into a defender who clearly pulled up and even turned his back to the play.

This could be 17-3 or even 21-3. 3 huge penalties has kept the Pats in this = the delay of game, hit on Gronk, and that Interference on a ball that wasn't catchable.

2 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

I cant get into Justin Timberlake in the Super Bowl

Makes my wife happy lol...that’s about all that matters to NFL is the casual viewer not the hardcore sport fans.

Just now, dgambill said:

Makes my wife happy lol...that’s about all that matters to NFL is the casual viewer not the hardcore sport fans.

That's 100 percent totally true