Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacksonville (+7.5) at New England (1-21-18)

oldunclemark

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Its unnecessary roughness to hit the person receiving a pass?

Yes, if it is in the head/neck area. A receiver must become a runner before that is allowed. Defenseless Receiver rule... the second call was suspect on the P.I. but it was illegal contact at the minimum as defender made contact well pas the 5 yard line beyond the line of scrimmage.  So it wa sat least a 5 yard penalty and auto 1st down, but they gave them the P.I. instead.

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

He turned his body to avoid targeting him. Gronk just stumbled down to him. There was nothing he could do to avoid it he even pulled up.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Every receiver is defenseless when making a catch doesn’t mean you can’t hit them.

Cant hit a receiver in the head / neck area until he is clearly established as a 'runner'

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-video-rulebook/defenseless-player/

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Shouldn't be considered defenseless. Just a dumb rule by the NFL, IMO. If going to catch a pass makes one defenseless every tackle should be a flag.

If he leads with the other shoulder he probably doesn't get the penalty.  Easy for me to say from my recliner though.

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Shouldn't be considered defenseless. Just a dumb rule by the NFL, IMO. If going to catch a pass makes one defenseless every tackle should be a flag.

you can hit the receiver, you just can't touch his helmet in any fashion while in a defenseless position, even by 'accident' or it is a penalty.  It is the rule.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

You just can't hit them in the head...accident or not.

I agree but when the receiver falls like that into you and your turning and not leading with the head...that to me is not the spirit of the rule. It only got called because he didn’t get up...but there was no targeting nothing...it’s not the defenders fault Gronks head dropped when he stumbled and the sides hit each other. I can live with that call to protect guys but then to follow it up with PI when the receiver ran his route out of bounds because the defender pinched him that’s just perfect defense...horrible.

Just now, oldunclemark said:

That issue is being 'decided' as we speak and I think you know how it will be decided

I'm all about safety first.  If he's showing signs of concussion he should sit.   And I'm not just saying that because I want the Jags to win.    I'm not heartless...   His well being should come first.

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

you can hit the receiver, you just can't touch his helmet in any fashion while in a defenseless position, even by 'accident' or it is a penalty.  It is the rule.

That’s the rule...that isn’t the spirit of the rule. It’s meant to protect receivers from being targeted and defenders from leading with crown and having head to head collisions. Not a wr who trips and falls into a defender who clearly pulled up and even turned his back to the play.

Archived