Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We’re not doing the Star Wars stuff again


Recommended Posts

 

The Colts had a top 2 QB of all time (Peyton), a top 5 WR of all time(Marv), a top 15 WR of all time (Wayne), a top 15 RB of all time (Edge), a top 15 center of all time (Saturday)...and we had a losing record in the playoffs (9-10). Almost all our losses came against a good defense (Pats, Chargers, Jets, Steelers, etc). It was a fun era to watch but underwhelming in terms of championships as we watched the Broncos go to (and win) the same amount of Superbowls as us, with Manning, in only four years. 

 

In Luck's last two full years, the offense has ranked #6 and #8 in scoring. The defense has been 20th or worse the past 4 years. 

I'd love to see us not put high draft picks/money toward skill players (like Barkley/Dorsett/Richardson) and please just try to form an elite defense combined with Luck's talents and see where that takes us for a change. I'm looking at Minnesota, Eagles and Jags and imagining how far Luck could go with these defenses (1st, 2nd, 4th ranked) if Keenum/Bortles/Foles-Wentz can get this far. We gotta fix the o-line and fix the defense and let Luck make everyone else look like a stud as he's capable of. Let the skill players come and go like the Pats do, turn the defense into a powerhouse, keep Luck upright with shorter passes and less homerun plays, get that o-line figured out and only have him need to score 21 points to win a game. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't trade my Colt experience for the Pats experience. I like the way this team operates. I like the typical type of humans we go after. 

 

I would be the happiest guy alive to re-live what we lived from 1999-2008. Call it Star Wars or anything you want, but it was the best era of Colts football in my life. 

 

Please....give me some more of that!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

The fact of the matter is, great QBs like Luck don't need studs in every offensive skill position to succeed. Great QBs elevate those around them.

 

Just look at the 2014 Colts. Lucks RBs were TRich and an older Bradshaw. His TEs were Fleener and Allen. His WRs were TY, a rookie Crief, and an older Hakeem Nicks and Reggie Wayne. 

 

None of those guys besides TY are real stars, and haven't done much since that year. 

 

Sure, surrounding Luck with star receivers, a stud RB, and a do it all TE would stack his stats and win some games. But giving him an elite D that can win games even when the offence isn't clicking, would win championships.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I wouldn't trade my Colt experience for the Pats experience. I like the way this team operates. I like the typical type of humans we go after. 

 

I would be the happiest guy alive to re-live what we lived from 1999-2008. Call it Star Wars or anything you want, but it was the best era of Colts football in my life. 

 

Please....give me some more of that!!!

Lol what. You wouldn’t rather have 5 more SB rings?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

I wouldn't trade my Colt experience for the Pats experience. I like the way this team operates. I like the typical type of humans we go after. 

 

I would be the happiest guy alive to re-live what we lived from 1999-2008. Call it Star Wars or anything you want, but it was the best era of Colts football in my life. 

 

Please....give me some more of that!!!

Shifting focus from an offensive team to that of Defense is not being like the Pats. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

 

The Colts had a top 2 QB of all time (Peyton), a top 5 WR of all time(Marv), a top 15 WR of all time (Wayne), a top 15 RB of all time (Edge), a top 15 center of all time (Saturday)...and we had a losing record in the playoffs (9-10). Almost all our losses came against a good defense (Pats, Chargers, Jets, Steelers, etc). It was a fun era to watch but underwhelming in terms of championships as we watched the Broncos go to (and win) the same amount of Superbowls as us, with Manning, in only four years. 

 

In Luck's last two full years, the offense has ranked #6 and #8 in scoring. The defense has been 20th or worse the past 4 years. 

I'd love to see us not put high draft picks/money toward skill players (like Barkley/Dorsett/Richardson) and please just try to form an elite defense combined with Luck's talents and see where that takes us for a change. I'm looking at Minnesota, Eagles and Jags and imagining how far Luck could go with these defenses (1st, 2nd, 4th ranked) if Keenum/Bortles/Foles-Wentz can get this far. We gotta fix the o-line and fix the defense and let Luck make everyone else look like a stud as he's capable of. Let the skill players come and go like the Pats do, turn the defense into a powerhouse, keep Luck upright with shorter passes and less homerun plays, get that o-line figured out and only have him need to score 21 points to win a game. 

 

you know i would disagree with you but then i remembered how the browns 2012 with the 3rd pick went for quote on quote the best back in the draft at the time and we all saw how that turned out so Bring on Chubb or Smith!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I wouldn't trade my Colt experience for the Pats experience. I like the way this team operates. I like the typical type of humans we go after. 

 

I would be the happiest guy alive to re-live what we lived from 1999-2008. Call it Star Wars or anything you want, but it was the best era of Colts football in my life. 

 

Please....give me some more of that!!!

Yes it was a the greatest of my life as well! Only thing that would have made it better was more Super Bowl rings!! And for that we needed a better run defense and an offensive line better at run blocking.  The one Super Bowl we won; It wasn’t because of our high flying offense tearing it up in the playoffs. The defense stopped the run and we ran the ball effectively!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

Lol what. You wouldn’t rather have 5 more SB rings?

I'll try and restate it for you. As you get older, you will hopefully appreciate that it is not the goal, but the path to the goal, in that life is truly appreciated and revered. I respect the path that my team took to 2 SB appearances for the first time in nearly 4 decades. I would not trade that path for any amount of SB victories.

 

For almost 10 years, the Colts were one of the most feared teams in the NFL. They were also respected as people.  What a gift that was for my life. To have it happen again.....even exactly like it did before, would be a dream. Colt fans are damned lucky. 

 

Tell me, have you seen how many Pats fans parade their teams SB wins and pictures of their rings in an arrogant manner? Is that a desire of yours? I'm genuinely curious. Would you be humble and not put it in your signature? Would you become the way many of them are? For what it's worth, I would not....because it is not the object of my desire now. Right now, I am happy for Jags fans. Although they have not endured what us long time Colts fans have faced....they still have had a tough time of it. Especially the ones who have remained fans since the beginning. I could not be happier for them. I hope they go all the way...and become our rivals as we start to ascend in this division. 

 

Peace to you. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Shifting focus from an offensive team to that of Defense is not being like the Pats. 

There is a large difference between a thread being entitled...

 

"Were not doing Star Wars stuff again"...as if it was failure or a bad thing

 

and..."Shifting focus from an offensive team to that of a Defense". 

 

My response would have been completely different. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I'll try and restate it for you. As you get older, you will hopefully appreciate that it is not the goal, but the path to the goal, in that life is truly appreciated and revered. I respect the path that my team took to 2 SB appearances for the first time in nearly 4 decades. I would not trade that path for any amount of SB victories.

 

For almost 10 years, the Colts were one of the most feared teams in the NFL. They were also respected as people.  What a gift that was for my life. To have it happen again.....even exactly like it did before, would be a dream. Colt fans are damned lucky. 

 

Tell me, have you seen how many Pats fans parade their teams SB wins and pictures of their rings in an arrogant manner? Is that a desire of yours? I'm genuinely curious. Would you be humble and not put it in your signature? Would you become the way many of them are? For what it's worth, I would not....because it is not the object of my desire now. Right now, I am happy for Jags fans. Although they have not endured what us long time Colts fans have faced....they still have had a tough time of it. Especially the ones who have remained fans since the beginning. I could not be happier for them. I hope they go all the way...and become our rivals as we start to ascend in this division. 

 

Peace to you. 

 

 

Rings > Star Wars numbers 

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I'll try and restate it for you. As you get older, you will hopefully appreciate that it is not the goal, but the path to the goal, in that life is truly appreciated and revered. I respect the path that my team took to 2 SB appearances for the first time in nearly 4 decades. I would not trade that path for any amount of SB victories.

 

For almost 10 years, the Colts were one of the most feared teams in the NFL. They were also respected as people.  What a gift that was for my life. To have it happen again.....even exactly like it did before, would be a dream. Colt fans are damned lucky. 

 

Tell me, have you seen how many Pats fans parade their teams SB wins and pictures of their rings in an arrogant manner? Is that a desire of yours? I'm genuinely curious. Would you be humble and not put it in your signature? Would you become the way many of them are? For what it's worth, I would not....because it is not the object of my desire now. Right now, I am happy for Jags fans. Although they have not endured what us long time Colts fans have faced....they still have had a tough time of it. Especially the ones who have remained fans since the beginning. I could not be happier for them. I hope they go all the way...and become our rivals as we start to ascend in this division. 

 

Peace to you. 

 

Yoda, is that you?? :lecture:

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What I don't get is, why do people think and have it in their head that if we take Barkley, we cant still build a Great Defense over the next 2 years to boot. We could have the best of both worlds after 2 more Drafts and Luck will be just 30 years old as well.

Because using a #3 pick on defense makes it easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It seems to me that Ballard has a very good understanding of this. He focuses on the trenches and we are definitely a step up from a year ago. There seemed to be more of a competitive fire in our players, but we just couldn’t put it all together. 

 

That being said, I don’t think you can pass on Barkley at 3 unless you think he’s a bust. From what I see from him, he isn’t and will be similar to a Todd Gurley for us. Luck has never had a good defense, true, but he also has never had an elite running back. Get the RB in the draft and fix the line in whatever way you think is best is how I feel Ballard should approach given the opportunity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Four2itus said:

I'll try and restate it for you. As you get older, you will hopefully appreciate that it is not the goal, but the path to the goal, in that life is truly appreciated and revered. I respect the path that my team took to 2 SB appearances for the first time in nearly 4 decades. I would not trade that path for any amount of SB victories.

 

For almost 10 years, the Colts were one of the most feared teams in the NFL. They were also respected as people.  What a gift that was for my life. To have it happen again.....even exactly like it did before, would be a dream. Colt fans are damned lucky. 

 

Tell me, have you seen how many Pats fans parade their teams SB wins and pictures of their rings in an arrogant manner? Is that a desire of yours? I'm genuinely curious. Would you be humble and not put it in your signature? Would you become the way many of them are? For what it's worth, I would not....because it is not the object of my desire now. Right now, I am happy for Jags fans. Although they have not endured what us long time Colts fans have faced....they still have had a tough time of it. Especially the ones who have remained fans since the beginning. I could not be happier for them. I hope they go all the way...and become our rivals as we start to ascend in this division. 

 

Peace to you. 

Respectfully Ballard and irsay don't agree with you since the 2 finalists

for the new coaching hire were directly out of the Pats organization.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColtsBlitz said:

It seems to me that Ballard has a very good understanding of this. He focuses on the trenches and we are definitely a step up from a year ago. There seemed to be more of a competitive fire in our players, but we just couldn’t put it all together. 

 

That being said, I don’t think you can pass on Barkley at 3 unless you think he’s a bust. From what I see from him, he isn’t and will be similar to a Todd Gurley for us. Luck has never had a good defense, true, but he also has never had an elite running back. Get the RB in the draft and fix the line in whatever way you think is best is how I feel Ballard should approach given the opportunity. 

 

In 2012 JJ Watt had a career year, the Texans made the playoffs (but the Colts shut him done in their last game that they really needed).

 

In 2013 JJ Watt had another great year, the Texans were 2-14.

 

So, for those people citing the Browns taking a RB at 3 and how it backfired, I’ll say that you can get the best D player in the draft and it may not mark a difference either.  

 

I sure won’t complain if we take Barkley!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

In 2012 JJ Watt had a career year, the Texans made the playoffs (but the Colts shut him done in their last game that they really needed).

 

In 2013 JJ Watt had another great year, the Texans were 2-14.

 

So, for those people citing the Browns taking a RB at 3 and how it backfired, I’ll say that you can get the best D player in the draft and it may not mark a difference either.  

 

I sure won’t complain if we take Barkley!

What a terrible example. You don’t want the elite edge prospect because the Texans went 2-14 in 2013.

You can’t make this stuff up. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

What a terrible example. You don’t want the elite edge prospect because the Texans went 2-14 in 2013.

You can’t make this stuff up. 

 

No, you’re misreading it.  I was responding to the example that it was a bad move when the Browns took Trent at 3.   That’s not a good reason for not wanting Barkley. 

 

I gave an example of how even a great edge rusher won’t necessarily make a difference.  And that’s not a good reason for not taking Chubb either.  

 

Before you insult someone’s post, make an effort to understand it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

What a terrible example. You don’t want the elite edge prospect because the Texans went 2-14 in 2013.

You can’t make this stuff up. 

Agreed..with Smonroe.

 

Absolutely.  Why insult?  It was a perfect example. you can go 2-12 with a RB and you can go the same with the top Edge prospect we have seen in awhile.

 

I take Chubb myself, but there are good reasons to take Barkley can do it all....and return kicks. (No please NOOOO  :) )  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

 

The Colts had a top 2 QB of all time (Peyton), a top 5 WR of all time(Marv), a top 15 WR of all time (Wayne), a top 15 RB of all time (Edge), a top 15 center of all time (Saturday)...and we had a losing record in the playoffs (9-10). Almost all our losses came against a good defense (Pats, Chargers, Jets, Steelers, etc). It was a fun era to watch but underwhelming in terms of championships as we watched the Broncos go to (and win) the same amount of Superbowls as us, with Manning, in only four years. 

 

In Luck's last two full years, the offense has ranked #6 and #8 in scoring. The defense has been 20th or worse the past 4 years. 

I'd love to see us not put high draft picks/money toward skill players (like Barkley/Dorsett/Richardson) and please just try to form an elite defense combined with Luck's talents and see where that takes us for a change. I'm looking at Minnesota, Eagles and Jags and imagining how far Luck could go with these defenses (1st, 2nd, 4th ranked) if Keenum/Bortles/Foles-Wentz can get this far. We gotta fix the o-line and fix the defense and let Luck make everyone else look like a stud as he's capable of. Let the skill players come and go like the Pats do, turn the defense into a powerhouse, keep Luck upright with shorter passes and less homerun plays, get that o-line figured out and only have him need to score 21 points to win a game. 

 

 

I agree, but it should be noted that this was basically the direction Irsay wanted to begin to make back in 2012. I clearly remember an interview with him saying or alluding to this back then. He wanted more SB, a more well-balanced team like Patriots. Chuck didn’t build him a Monster D, and the offense scheme never approached the Patriots way.

 

Now we are trying to do it another way, but same goal. I have a good feeling about it though! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

 

 I'm looking at Minnesota, Eagles and Jags and imagining how far Luck could go with these defenses (1st, 2nd, 4th ranked) if Keenum/Bortles/Foles-Wentz can get this far. 

 

 

Jags have Fournette/ Eagles have Ajayi/ Vikings have Murray and McKinnon

They have great defenses but also a running game opposing teams fear.  We need both.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

 

The Colts had a top 2 QB of all time (Peyton), a top 5 WR of all time(Marv), a top 15 WR of all time (Wayne), a top 15 RB of all time (Edge), a top 15 center of all time (Saturday)...and we had a losing record in the playoffs (9-10). Almost all our losses came against a good defense (Pats, Chargers, Jets, Steelers, etc). It was a fun era to watch but underwhelming in terms of championships as we watched the Broncos go to (and win) the same amount of Superbowls as us, with Manning, in only four years. 

 

In Luck's last two full years, the offense has ranked #6 and #8 in scoring. The defense has been 20th or worse the past 4 years. 

I'd love to see us not put high draft picks/money toward skill players (like Barkley/Dorsett/Richardson) and please just try to form an elite defense combined with Luck's talents and see where that takes us for a change. I'm looking at Minnesota, Eagles and Jags and imagining how far Luck could go with these defenses (1st, 2nd, 4th ranked) if Keenum/Bortles/Foles-Wentz can get this far. We gotta fix the o-line and fix the defense and let Luck make everyone else look like a stud as he's capable of. Let the skill players come and go like the Pats do, turn the defense into a powerhouse, keep Luck upright with shorter passes and less homerun plays, get that o-line figured out and only have him need to score 21 points to win a game. 

 

Brilliant!!! Lets turn a generational QB into a game manager...

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Kyle said:

 

Jags have Fournette/ Eagles have Ajayi/ Vikings have Murray and McKinnon

They have great defenses but also a running game opposing teams fear.  We need both.  

I think the above illustrates why the colts shouldn't spend the 3 pick on a rb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

What I don't get is, why do people think and have it in their head that if we take Barkley, we cant still build a Great Defense over the next 2 years to boot. We could have the best of both worlds after 2 more Drafts and Luck will be just 30 years old as well.

Blows my mind....lol...Let's turn Luck into game manager and squeak out wins 21-17...How about we surround Luck with weapons, and win 42-24? Go 13-3, get home field ,and make teams beat us at our game...We are an indoor team, lets play fast...We can still draft and sign guys on oline and defense and still take Barkley! You can have both! People think taking Barkley at 3 means we aren't going to improve the line or defense..We have 85 million in cap people, might as well use it , just be smart with the contracts and target younger players that are proven...Pay for difference makers instead of a bunch of mid-level guys...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll just chime in with "it all depends on who CB handles the FA's".  If he picks up a couple of OLine studs in FA

then we would be free to pick up Barkely who would improve the offense, then focus on D in the draft.

 

If he doesn't pick up anything serviceable in FA then I fully expect him to focus on the trenches.  Probably

trade back and get some picks for this/next year, then grab Nelson.

 

I don't mind our "stars" also being linemen on either side of the ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

 

No, you’re misreading it.  I was responding to the example that it was a bad move when the Browns took Trent at 3.   That’s not a good reason for not wanting Barkley. 

 

I gave an example of how even a great edge rusher won’t necessarily make a difference.  And that’s not a good reason for not taking Chubb either.  

 

Before you insult someone’s post, make an effort to understand it.  

Lol no bad example. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BrentMc11 said:

Agreed..with Smonroe.

 

Absolutely.  Why insult?  It was a perfect example. you can go 2-12 with a RB and you can go the same with the top Edge prospect we have seen in awhile.

 

I take Chubb myself, but there are good reasons to take Barkley can do it all....and return kicks. (No please NOOOO  :) )  

Where is the insult even at? You guys are like little girls. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Andrew Luck fan club said:

You’re so dense. I’d use another word but this place is rated PG for all the snowflakes. 

Wth do you know??? With a legit cerebral coach I feel the talent we have in house will be developed and used much better...We have a good dline, good young secondary, we need another pass rusher and a coverage ilb and the defense will be pretty good .. .We have 6 other picks in draft and free agency..We have some young olineman now that need developed...No reason we can't draft edge in second or guard. ..We can get one of the top guards , ilbs, wr, and pass rushers in free agency and sign our guys like Melvin, Moncrief, desir  Mewhort, and vinatieri and still have plenty of cap left....Why does it have to be Guard or Edge first round?? Barkley will make the most impact period, and with a good coach and healthy Luck , and much better scheme we will be dangerous...Free agents will want to come here now with Ballard running the show...You are the dense one,  its build the trenches is the only way to win in your mind, and you have to use 1st rd picks on trenches  mentality...Great players and coaching wins in the NFL and there are lots of ways to do it...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...