Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jack Doyle Is not # 1 Material

Shadow_Creek

I like the guy don't get me wrong. But when it was his time to shine as number Uno he didn't fair so well. Now you could say that with Luck in the line up maybe Doyle would have done way much better which could be true. However he's no Dallas Clark and hes definitely no Gronk so i believe during this free agent period we should really consider Looking for some potential upgrades in the TE department. Because like Hilton, Doyle also had his ghost moments too which was really frustrating to watch at times.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doyle has always been reliant on Luck (or even Brissett to roll out) to get outside the pocket, the guy who never beat you with huge separation but a short area quickness that lent itself to getting open. There is no element of WOW to him but he fights tooth and nail while run blocking and keeps on chugging when you least expect him to. He does show up for every game, you have to give him that, that utility pocket knife type of guy. :) 

Last year, he looked slower than the previous year, IMO, not sure if he had injuries going into the season. If there is anyone with a high ceiling, it is Erik Swoope but he wasn't available. Swoope will benefit with a McDaniels system more than Doyle, IMO.

6 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I like the guy don't get me wrong. But when it was his time to shine as number Uno he didn't fair so well. Now you could say that with Luck in the line up maybe Doyle would have done way much better which could be true. However he's no Dallas Clark and hes definitely no Gronk so i believe during this free agent period we should really consider Looking for some potential upgrades in the TE department. Because like Hilton, Doyle also had his ghost moments too which was really frustrating to watch at times.

Doyle is a 90-100-catch guy with Luck for 16 games.

We have lots of problems but Jack Doyle aint one of them

Since Doyle was brought up in his own thread, and I love what he brings to the team as a swiss army knife kind of guy - good h-back, in-line blocker, good route runner and good hands....I'm VERY interested in what McDaniels can do with the "other" guys:

Basketball Convert

Erik Swoope 6-5 and 258 lbs

Ross Travis 6-7 and 235 lbs

Mo Ali-Cox 6-6 and 267 lbs

Wide Receiver Convert

Darrell Daniels 6-3 and 246 lbs

Quarterback Convert

Jason Vander Laan 6-4 and 244 lbs

There is an awful lot of athleticism in those 5 guys and one or two of them should be able to give that Gronkowski/Hernandez type of dimension to the offense. 

Disclaimer......they are NOT Gronk or Hernandez BUT they can play a similar role...

2 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Since Doyle was brought up in his own thread, and I love what he brings to the team as a swiss army knife kind of guy - good h-back, in-line blocker, good route runner and good hands....I'm VERY interested in what McDaniels can do with the "other" guys:

Basketball Convert

Erik Swoope 6-5 and 258 lbs

Ross Travis 6-7 and 235 lbs

Mo Ali-Cox 6-6 and 267 lbs

Wide Receiver Convert

Darrell Daniels 6-3 and 246 lbs

Quarterback Convert

Jason Vander Laan 6-4 and 244 lbs

There is an awful lot of athleticism in those 5 guys and one or two of them should be able to give that Gronkowski/Hernandez type of dimension to the offense. 

Disclaimer......they are NOT Gronk or Hernandez BUT they can play a similar role...

Ross i like. He should have been used more in fact he should have been TE #2 after that amazing display he showed

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Are you serious?  If so maybe you should go back and do some research.  Maybe you will see you are wrong.

Doyle is a perfectly good number one TE. He may not be great, but he's good.

Doyle struggled for a few weeks in the middle of the season.   What most people didn't realize is that he suffered a concussion and the affects clearly bothered himwhile he continued to play. He could've asked out if the lineup but he stayed in hoping to help his team.

Doyle got trashed for a few weeks here because posters didn't know about the concussion.

And remember...   he had a good season without Andrew Luck.    We saw what happened to Hilton without Luck.   That didn't happen to Doyle.

In the long list of positions to replace ASAP, tight end and Jack Doyle aren't even on the list....

Let's keep eye on the more pressing needs and not get side tracked.

5 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Ross i like. He should have been used more in fact he should have been TE #2 after that amazing display he showed

I like Ross.   But he made two catches in one game.   Not exactly amazing.     

I'm sure he'll get a longer look in camp this coming season.

Come on now.....

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Doyle is a 90-100-catch guy with Luck for 16 games.

We have lots of problems but Jack Doyle aint one of them

Doyle is solid and dependable and I agree that he’s most certainly not a problem in the least.  But if he’s catching 90-100 catches then our offense is trash (just like it was this season when he was our leading receiver).  No thanks. Doyle is a great possession tight end and not a game breaker. And there’s nothing wrong with that.  

He’s everything that Allen was supposed to be (maybe not as good a blocker but a hundred times the receiver). But we still need that tight end that’s everything that Fleener was supposed to be.  A guy that’s a matchup nightmare that is a playmaker.  Perhaps that’s Swoope or another youngster on the roster. I trust McDaniels to find and develop one of them. 

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Doyle is solid and dependable and I agree that he’s most certainly not a problem in the least.  But if he’s catching 90-100 catches then our offense is trash (just like it was this season when he was our leading receiver).  No thanks. Doyle is a great possession tight end and not a game breaker. And there’s nothing wrong with that.  

He’s everything that Allen was supposed to be (maybe not as good a blocker but a hundred times the receiver). But we still need that tight end that’s everything that Fleener was supposed to be.  A guy that’s a matchup nightmare that is a playmaker.  Perhaps that’s Swoope or another youngster on the roster. I trust McDaniels to find and develop one of them. 

No offense is trash BECAUSE the tight end catches 80-90 passes.

You need that guy. Every team has to have that guy.

You don't need a game-breaker at tight end. Who has that?

Jack Doyle is exactly what we need...as a compliment to the WRs.....

Dont overthink things

4 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

He’s like my wife’s Toyota Camry. He’s not the fastest or the flashiest, but he’s as reliable as it gets and he gets the job done right. I’ll take that over the competiton any day   

I know have a Honda Civic EX, was top of the line when I bought it. Bought in 2004, haha and guess what she runs like it did when I bought it. Never had a problem with it in 14 years. Reliability is huge and that is Jack!

12 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

No offense is trash BECAUSE the tight end catches 80-90 passes.

You need that guy. Every team has to have that guy.

You don't need a game-breaker at tight end. Who has that?

Jack Doyle is exactly what we need...as a compliment to the WRs.....

Dont overthink things

I’m not overthinking anything. You’re undethinking things.  If a possession tight end like Doyle is catching 90-100 passes that means our game breaking wide receivers and backs aren’t catching enough passes and making chunk plays.  And trust, if we had a 2nd tight end worth anything this year, Doyle wouldn’t have caught 80 catches...  

And that’s no knock on Doyle.  He’s solid and dependable like I said.  I’m not advocating to get rid of him.  Im saying he should not be the focus of our offense. Not the first or 2nd focus for that matter which is what 90-100 catches signify. Think on this, as great as Doyle’s stats were (as far as catches), why were we one of the worst offenses in the league? Why didn’t Doyle’s 80 catches set the league on fire?

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

I’m not overthinking anything. You’re undethinking things.  If a possession tight end like Doyle is catching 90-100 passes that means our game breaking wide receivers and backs aren’t catching enough passes and making chunk plays.  And trust, if we had a 2nd tight end worth anything this year, Doyle wouldn’t have caught 80 catches...  

And that’s no knock on Doyle.  He’s solid and dependable like I said.  Im not advocating to get rid of him.  Im saying he should not be the focus of our offense. Not the first or 2nd focus for that matter which is what 90-100 catches signify. Think on this, as great as Doyle’s stats were (as far as catches), why were we one of the worst offenses in the league? Why didn’t Doyle’s 80 catches set the league on fire?

You don’t pay a guy the kind of money that Doyle is getting to be a back up, a back up doesn’t get 80+ catches in a season with a back up quarterback back. He’s no back up and I’m confident in saying that he’s a top 10 tight end

12 minutes ago, HectorRoberts said:

You don’t pay a guy the kind of money that Doyle is getting to be a back up, a back up doesn’t get 80+ catches in a season with a back up quarterback back. He’s no back up and I’m confident in saying that he’s a top 10 tight end

I never said anything about Doyle being a back up.  And a lot of tight ends can get 80 catches with a backup QB when your offense is in the bottom of the league. Why?  Because said backup couldn’t get the ball to his playmaking receivers...  So it was check down all game every game.  Again Doyle did what he was supposed to do and that’s catch the balls that were thrown to him.  But why is everyone acting like Doyle had 80 catches and we were a high powered top 10 offense?  

Somebody has to lead bad teams in scoring. Does that make them better than a great player, playing on a great team that averages fewer points per game because the wealth is more spread out???  I think not. And again, that’s no knock on Doyle. That’s a knock on our inept offense and no other tight end option but him.  If Swoope was healthy, it would have been criminal for him not to at the minimum get a 3rd of those targets that Doyle got this year. 

16 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

No. Absolutely not. .None of what you say here is true.

You don't catch passes because no one else is open..

You catch balls because YOU are open and you make the plays...and because your team has the ball

If we had Andrew Luck healthy,,,we'd have the ball more because we'd have more first downs. Doyle and everyone else would get more targets and more catches.

Doyle is one of the top pass catching tight ends in the NFL.

You're overthinking this...........

10 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

I never said anything about Doyle being a back up.  And a lot of tight ends can get 80 catches with a backup QB when your offense is in the bottom of the league. Why?  Because said backup couldn’t get the ball to his playmaking receivers...  So it was check down all game every game.  Again Doyle did what he was supposed to do and that’s catch the balls that were thrown to him.  But why is everyone acting like Doyle had 80 catches and we were a high powered top 10 offense?  

Somebody has to lead bad teams in scoring. Does that make them better than a great player, playing on a great team that averages fewer points per game because the wealth is more spread out???  I think not. And again, that’s no knock on Doyle. That’s a knock on our inept offense and no other tight end option but him.  If Swoope was healthy, it would have been criminal for him not to at the minimum get a 3rd of those targets that Doyle got this year. 

If your saying he’s not a #1 tight end then your saying he’s a back up.... if your going to sling crap then be ready to have some thrown back... 

6 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

No. Absolutely not. .None of what you say here is true.

You don't catch passes because no one else is open..

You catch balls because YOU are open and you make the plays...and because your team has the ball

If we had Andrew Luck healthy,,,we'd have the ball more because we'd have more first downs. Doyle and everyone else would get more targets and more catches.

Doyle is one of the top pass catching tight ends in the NFL.

You're overthinking this...........

Everything I said is true. If Luck was healthy, everyone else would get more targets. Not just the check downs to our tight end..  I get it. Doyle’s a local guy and you think he’s the greatest tight end in the world.  We’ll just agree to disagree.  

Just now, HectorRoberts said:

If your saying he’s not a #1 tight end then your saying he’s a back up.... if your going to sling crap then be ready to have some thrown back... 

You sound silly. Where did I sling crap?  Where did I say he was a backup?  I said he should not be the focus of our offense.  

2 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Everything I said is true. If Luck was healthy, everyone else would get more targets. Not just the check downs to our tight end..  I get it. Doyle’s a local guy and you think he’s the greatest tight end in the world.  We’ll just agree to disagree.  

Sucks to be wrong when you won't admit it.

1 minute ago, Smoke317 said:

You sound silly. Where did I sling crap?  Where did I say he was a backup?  I said he should not be the focus of our offense.  

If your going to say he’s not a number one, then your saying he’s a number 2... I know math is really hard... when I say slinging crap I mean that you are talking out of your *... you say one thing then back pedal trying to say you mean something else until no one knows what your even talking about anymore....