Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper Mock Draft 1.0 + McShay Reacts (Colts)

So Mel is out with his first mock of the draft season.        I'll give you the top 5.

Heads up,  Kiper pulls a rabbit out of his hat with the first pick and McShay, surprisingly,  agrees with him.

1.    Cleveland        Josh Allen.       Mel says this is all about projection.    What a QB might be down the road with better coaches and players around him.

2.    NY Giants        Josh Rosen   

3.    Indy                 Bradley Chubb

4.    Cleve              Saquon Barkley

5.    Denv.              Sam Darnold

OK.......      here's where it gets interesting....

Todd observes that to prevent another team from jumping over Denver to get a deal with Indy for Darnold,   that Denver would be willing to trade up to make sure they get the QB they want.     Putting Indy in position to trade back just two slots,  collect whatever pick(s) they can,  and still take Chubb,  the player Todd thinks we want all along.     Win-win for the Colts!

A thought.....    if indeed we are switiching to a 4-3 defense,  Chubb makes the most sense.    You need a pass rushing, play making, killer at RDE,  and that's what Chubb is.

To be able to trade back just a little and still get Chubb is like Christmas in April!       Here's hoping.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So Mel is out with his first mock of the draft season.        I'll give you the top 5.

Heads up,  Kiper pulls a rabbit out of his hat with the first pick and McShay, surprisingly,  agrees with him.

1.    Cleveland        Josh Allen.       Mel says this is all about projection.    What a QB might be down the road with better coaches and players around him.

Todd observes that to prevent another team from jumping over Denver to get a deal with Indy for Darnold,   that Denver would be willing to trade up to make sure they get the QB they want.     Putting Indy in position to trade back just two slots,  collect whatever pick(s) they can,  and still take Chubb,  the player Todd thinks we want all along.     Win-win for the Colts!

A thought.....    if indeed we are switiching to a 4-3 defense,  Chubb makes the most sense.    You need a pass rushing, play making, killer at RDE,  and that's what Chubb is.

To be able to trade back just a little and still get Chubb is like Christmas in April!       Here's hoping.

Josh Allen would be a mistake, IMO. 

At least Pac 12 Ds that Rosen and Darnold have played against are higher than the middle of the pack in the FBS, not so sure about the Mountain West conference. 

I'd be pretty hyped if we managed to trade down to 5. There is enough talent in this draft that I would feel comfortable that I will get an elite prospect even in a worst case scenario(say, we trade back with some team and that team decides they want Chubb at 3 rather than a QB)... 

7 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

What D PAC 12 is known for O

You are right, I was wrong about the Mountain West Conference, they have better D than I thought they did, at least based on overall rankings:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22 

Still not sold on Josh Allen though. Hate to bring the comparison but Paxton Lynch like arm is what he reminds me of.

Trading back and still picking up Chubb is pretty much the perfect scenario in my opinion. But you would need to be absolutely certain he would still be there. It would suck if we traded back to six and then say Tampa traded up to 5 to take Chubb lol. I'd probably need a new TV at that point.

3 minutes ago, Restored said:

No way the Colts pass on Barkley if he's there.

IMO, It's way too early in the game to be positive in who is taken where and when. Things will look a little more clear after the combine. The GMs boards will change from now till the draft time.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I have little doubt Ballard could trade down with the Jets at the lowest, and they could still get Chubb there. I feel like Tampa Bay would draft Chubb at 7th overall. The Jets may want to move up ahead of Denver anyhow to get their QB. Or Denver is another team we could trade down with and still get Chubb. 

If Ballard could get an extra early 2nd and possibly more and still land Chubb at 5 or 6 overall, I would be happy if of course Chubb does very well at the combine. 

42 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Trading back and still picking up Chubb is pretty much the perfect scenario in my opinion. But you would need to be absolutely certain he would still be there. It would suck if we traded back to six and then say Tampa traded up to 5 to take Chubb lol. I'd probably need a new TV at that point.

I agree. But if that were to happen where Tampa Bay traded up to 5 to get Chubb, then most likely Fitzpatrick will be available who also is a stud. So either way, trading down to 5th or 6th overall Indy will still get an elite player. 

Just now, BProland85 said:

I agree. But if that were to happen where Tampa Bay traded up to 5 to get Chubb, then most likely Fitzpatrick will be available who also is a stud. So either way, trading down to 5th or 6th overall Indy will still get an elite player. 

Yeah, Fitz is really good. I'm just on the Chubb bandwagon at moment.

1 hour ago, TheMarine said:

Falling back to 5 would be perfect, IMO

I agree and it's my favorite trade scenario.  If Denver really wants that pick i would insist Shane Ray is part of the package and we have our ER and still a top five pick.    We still get extra picks and who knows Chubb could still be there or even Barclay or Fitzpatrick for that matter.   Lots of possibilities.  All good. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO, It's way too early in the game to be positive in who is taken where and when. Things will look a little more clear after the combine. The GMs boards will change from now till the draft time.

Possibly but all I'm saying is that if Barkley is there, the Colts won't pass on him UNLESS they get a king's ransom for that pick in which they should take it. Otherwise, take Barkley.

If we go back to the 4-3, we gonna need some pass rushing ends (Simon and Sheard are better suited for the 3-4 OLB I think). In that case, drafting Chubb makes sense. Doubt he makes it past Tampa though. That Denver scenario would be the best. 

Regarding switching to the 4-3, isn't that the base Defense Basam played in? If he develops like we hope, a duo of him and Chubb could be deadly.

3 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

If we go back to the 4-3, we gonna need some pass rushing ends (Simon and Sheard are better suited for the 3-4 OLB I think). In that case, drafting Chubb makes sense. Doubt he makes it past Tampa though. That Denver scenario would be the best. 

Regarding switching to the 4-3, isn't that the base Defense Basam played in? If he develops like we hope, a duo of him and Chubb could be deadly.

Basham did play in a 4-3 at Ohio in college. Sheard played in a 4-3 with New England where he was pretty good. Simon might be an outlier, I don't know if he could be a full time 4-3 DE and I don't think he can play well enough in space to be a linebacker. He might just be relegated to a 4th rusher/joker role.

Biggest stand out for me is Kiper mocks Connor Williams OT Texas going at #31 overall to the Vikings. I'd definitely be in favor of trading up 4 spots to get him, especially if we trade back from our #3 pick to the Broncos or Jets and get extra picks. That is fantasy I think though, if we were to get Chubb and Williams in the same draft, I expect Williams to go somewhere between #8 to #20 pending nothing serious happens to him.

Edit: Also he mocks Arden Key not being drafted in the first round which is interesting. 

10 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Basham did play in a 4-3 at Ohio in college. Sheard played in a 4-3 with New England where he was pretty good. Simon might be an outlier, I don't know if he could be a full time 4-3 DE and I don't think he can play well enough in space to be a linebacker. He might just be relegated to a 4th rusher/joker role.

I do believe HOU ran some 4-3, but Simon was their 3rd pass rusher in that Defense. Played only like half the snaps but had okay production.

He could help on certain looks playing WILL I think. He's got the motor to dig out those screens. But I don't think he has the coverage ability.

44 minutes ago, Restored said:

Possibly but all I'm saying is that if Barkley is there, the Colts won't pass on him UNLESS they get a king's ransom for that pick in which they should take it. Otherwise, take Barkley.

With all due respect you don't know who the Colts will pick. I agree Barkley is the best RB on the board but that automatically mean the Colts take him. The same thing could be said of Chubb. We get a pass rusher it then in turns makes the whole defense better. It would have a bigger effect on this team than a great RB IMO.

I like this scenario for three reasons.

1.  The trade-back gets us more picks

2.  I would prefer a 4-3 over a 3-4

3.  Chubb is the kind of pillar you need in a 4-3

As far as Allen going #1, its possible.  I have read a couple of sites that link the Browns to Allen (although not necessarily at #1).  Just watching each play, he strikes me as having more on-field leadership qualities than the others.  Kind of like Philip Rivers. 

I like the idea of trying to trade back with Cleveland. From there we can try and get Denver and the Jets into a bidding war for the 4th pick and trade back to 5 or 6 and still get an elite prospect. Right now, I like what I have seen and heard about Chubb. Last year there were questions about Myles Garrett taking plays off. Mel Kiper was saying this morning that Chubb does not do that, that he even SPRINTS in practice. That's the kind of leader we need for a new defense.

2 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Sheard has played DE in a 4/3 scheme and I feel Simon could be a solid SLB in the 4/3.  Basham played DE in College but I believe he spent most of his time as a Standing DE?  I may be wrong and I am sure someone will correct me if that is the case.

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

Biggest stand out for me is Kiper mocks Connor Williams OT Texas going at #31 overall to the Vikings. I'd definitely be in favor of trading up 4 spots to get him, especially if we trade back from our #3 pick to the Broncos or Jets and get extra picks. That is fantasy I think though, if we were to get Chubb and Williams in the same draft, I expect Williams to go somewhere between #8 to #20 pending nothing serious happens to him.

Edit: Also he mocks Arden Key not being drafted in the first round which is interesting. 

Not surprising. Key is either first or second, and it's too early to tell, since the combine hasn't happened. Lots of mocks have him in the second round.

7 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Mistake to pass on Darnold or Rosen if one of them is there when pick #3 comes up.  Don't know the condition of Luck.

We don't know that, we don't know what CB knows. Luck may be fine by draft. If they think Luck is not going to make a come back then QB will likely be a consideration. 

3 hours ago, DaColts85 said:

This is why you are not a GM or scout.

Now I’m not a GM or scout, but I can read some box scores and watch draftbreakdown cut ups, and this dude put up a mighty impressive 52.6 quarterback rating on the year playing against some real powerhouse teams like Gardner-Webb and Texas State. I don’t see how anybody can pass up future hall of famer Josh Allen. I mean, the guy is 6’5! That’s some real NFL ability being so tall. 

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

The Browns would trade up with the Colts at 3 to ensure they don’t get jumped for a QB I’d they took Barkley at #1 overall. Either way I think it’s more likely that Cleveland trades up with us at 3 from 4, regardless of if it’s for a QB or Barkley.

Denver's not going to take a QB in the 1st round....They will sign a free agent QB

They cant wait for a rookie project..they have those