Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

DeAndre Smelter futures contract

25 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Good find for Ballard!!! The kind of guy you would want coaches to develop, with baseline potential.

He certainly looks like a potential very solid run blocker. I sure liked Steelers Schuster at that.
  And should be able to make some plays in a good system. lol

30 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

He certainly hasn't set the world on fire but who knows?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmelDe00.htm

Two games in three years and one catch....

I had looked that up too. I'm not at all familiar with the 49ers receiver depth chart but he had a non-football injury to miss the 2015 season. Was waived and signed to the practice squad in 2016. Activated later in 2016 when he made his one catch. Then nothing from him in 2017 seemingly not due to an injury. Swoope has much better credentials than that and from a career BB player. (I realize Swoope is a TE and not a WR, but Smelter only had a 4.6 40 at the combine. Swoope wasn't at the combine, but from looking at his playing it looks like he might have about 4.6 too.)

I'm not expecting much, but I'd like to be surprised. I think Ballard would like to kick the tires.

23 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

I had looked that up too. I'm not at all familiar with the 49ers receiver depth chart but he had a non-football injury to miss the 2015 season. Was waived and signed to the practice squad in 2016. Activated later in 2016 when he made his one catch. Then nothing from him in 2017 seemingly not due to an injury. Swoope has much better credentials than that and from a career BB player. (I realize Swoope is a TE and not a WR, but Smelter only had a 4.6 40 at the combine. Swoope wasn't at the combine, but from looking at his playing it looks like he might have about 4.6 too.)

I'm not expecting much, but I'd like to be surprised. I think Ballard would like to kick the tires.

Me neither, plus talk of this guy replacing Moncrief is kind of ridiculous as he would need 256 catches, 1,852 yards, and 18 TDs to catch up. :)

3 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Me neither, plus talk of this guy replacing Moncrief is kind of ridiculous as he would need 256 catches, 1,852 yards, and 18 TDs to catch up. :)

Yeah, one of the main gripes fans have about Moncrief is no production. If you use that standard it will take 3 x 256 = 768 years for Smelter to catch up in production...lol

5 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

He certainly looks like a potential very solid run blocker. I sure liked Steelers Schuster at that.
  And should be able to make some plays in a good system. lol

I agree I liked him in 2015 wanted to see us draft him cause I believe him and luck would be awesome together.