Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will The Good Inside LBS Please Stand

I know he's older and came back from a near-devastating injury, but Navarro Bowman is a free agent.  30.  Could be that vet on that side of the ball that sets the tone, establishes what's expected.  And I too like Avery Williamson, who would be a win-win - improve the Colts, and hurt the Titans.  Third on my list would be DeMario Davis from the Jets.  I think he's really good too, and a free agent. 

This is not a one year process to restrengthening this team, so I would hope that they build through the draft with the positions that they see as fits to our many needs, but using FA as either a rare mid career opportunity in mid season with a trade....or see what comes out next season. Simplified, dont over spend on older or mediocre. 

Someone to look out for is Mychael Kendricks from PHI. He's under contract with PHI, but they are over the cap, especialy with the Jeffrey extension. Seems like a possible cap casualty. But I might be willing to throw a 7th round pick to PHI for him just to not have to bid against other teams...and because his base salary isn't that crazy the next couple of seasons. He seems like a great fit at WILL.

Nigel Bradham is the better option from PHI and he actually is a FA. But I think PHI will do what they need to keep him as they are competing for the Super Bowl for the next couple of seasons. And I think Simon can play the SAM.

I am interested in Christian Jones. I really liked him before the 2014 NFL Draft and then he went undrafted because of a failed drug test. That seems to be past him...and I think he's a better fit with Colts defense now than he was a few years ago. Not sure if CHI will let him get away.

Gerald Hodges could be worth a flyer as well as depth. I would invite Arthur Brown to camp as well.

The draft has a lot of good options as well. 4-3 LBs (outside of elite MLBs) tend to be undervalued, so there should be a handful of athletic LBs available in the middle rounds that the Colts could look at...and I expect we will see Ballard grab at least one...maybe someone like Josey Jewelll...another former Iowa Hawkeye to pair with Hitchens (teams like to do that kind of stuff).

I think Ballard will be able to get Hitchens to be the leader of the defense...and then pick up another LB in FA or via trade...and then draft 1-2 to develop. 

Avery Williamson should be a priority IMO. Then draft an ILB in the 2nd-3rd to start with him. This is assuming we switch to a 4-3. 2 big time LB's to pair with Walker or a mid round draft pick would be fine considering we'd mostly be playing with 2 LB's in the nickel package anyway. I want us to draft a star caliber ILB in the 2nd or 3rd. Get our own Bobby Wagner.

36 minutes ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Then we’d be stuck with the same suck we’ve had for years. Us fans definitely overrate our own players 

And what role did I suggest they be in? Jackson and Walker are decent players that we have left on the roster. That doesn't mean the position doesnt need to be upgraded. They can each play a role for us. Walker finished the season playing good football. They both belong in the competition at the very least. Neither are guaranteed starters. Last I checked you need to have starters and depth. You dont just throw out the baby with the bath water. Lets just cut everybody and start over. That ain't going to happen.

I’m gonna hope for Demario Davis and/or Avery Williamson. Not sure about Hitchens, but the Eberflus connection probably makes him a more likely candidate. Either way, it’s the weakest position on our defense and one that Ballard needs to address in free agency. Fortunately, off ball linebackers don’t cost a whole lot so we could knock that one out and still have plenty of cash for other needs. 

41 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Jackson being hurt this year sucked really thought he could have really helped the defense this past season.

I agree with you on Jackson. In his limited playing time it looked to me like he had some coverage skills. I haven't seen enough of Walker to assess his ability to cover. Morrison has no cover skills and I hope we have enough quality LBs going into 2018 that Morrison can't make the 53.

2 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

I agree with you on Jackson. In his limited playing time it looked to me like he had some coverage skills. I haven't seen enough of Walker to assess his ability to cover. Morrison has no cover skills and I hope we have enough quality LBs going into 2018 that Morrison can't make the 53.

I would just cut Morrison now he misses way too many tackles.

12 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Avery Williamson should be a priority IMO. Then draft an ILB in the 2nd-3rd to start with him. This is assuming we switch to a 4-3. 2 big time LB's to pair with Walker or a mid round draft pick would be fine considering we'd mostly be playing with 2 LB's in the nickel package anyway. I want us to draft a star caliber ILB in the 2nd or 3rd. Get our own Bobby Wagner.

He would be among my # 1 targets, and clear #1 among all LBs. If we are switching to 4-3 base, I'd add Bradham to the list, he's good SAM. However, he had one year in 3-4 (though it was under Rex Ryan) and wasn't good. What might be even worse is that he's pretty much had only good years under Jim Schwartz-coordinated D.. And not so good when he wasn't DC. So not sure how much scheme flexibility the guy has. 6-year vet too, lot of mileage. Kennard could be cheaper with less mileage and plays the same position. He's not good in coverage though.

On 1/17/2018 at 4:57 PM, GoColts00 said:

I would like the Colts to be in a position in next year's draft to get Devin White LSU if he leaves school early for the NFL. 

If he's really good, that would imply a top 10 pick...

1 hour ago, krunk said:

I'd love to have Edmunds.  Definitely the type of player Ballard would like.

Yeah, if he's there in the second, I'd take him in a heartbeat.