Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

McDaniels Co-Ordinators Lined Up

UKColt13

3 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Unless the new coaching staff wants em, they'll prolly be fired.

I dont see why Chud couldnt be the QB coach. We did just lose ours to the seahawks and teddy m with the LBers. I get its mcdaniels staff, but it seems like an easy decision. 

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really interested to see any changes McDaniels would add to the offense from New England's current set up. Obviously I still expect a boat load of quick hitters, chunk plays, and versatile passing concepts a la NE, but with Luck being a much more athletic and mobile QB than Brady, I wonder if McDaniels incorporates some more designed runs and roll outs for Luck to utilize. 

Brady is a beast no doubt, but he's limited athletically. Especially at 40. Luck (if he's healed up of course), would give Josh McDaniels some options to get creative with the offense. 

God I'm getting excited thinking about the possibilities with McD as the coach. Hopefully no voodoo, wizardry, and nonsense occurs over the next 3 weeks (lets be real, J'Ville ain't beating em haha) and he somehow ends up in Tennessee. 

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I dont see why Chud couldnt be the QB coach. We did just lose ours to the seahawks and teddy m with the LBers. I get its mcdaniels staff, but it seems like an easy decision. 

Maybe. But to be honest, the coaches I saw sticking around (McMahon, Schotty, even Philibin) have gotten jobs elsewhere. I do hope we keep Sanjay Lal, WR coach. He's quite respected in the league, and after a 2016 in which the Colts had a TON of drops, I thought they were better. Assuming I'm looking this up right, Jack Doyle led the team in drops with 4, and he was dealing with a concussion as points this year. The team was better in that regard I think. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Can't wait to see how Josh uses some of our personnel. I can totally see Chester Rogers in Danny Amendolas role. I can definitely see him making great use of Mack. He will probably get used a lot like what we saw Saturday night or much in the same way Mcdaniels used Knowshon Moreno in Denver. Definitely want to see what he does with Swoope and Doyle.

Man I didn’t even think about Swoope!!! I’ve thought a lot about Hilton and Mack.  I wouldn’t be unsurprised if we brought back Moncrief.  Part of his issue, outside of injuries, is getting open.  I think McDaniels will be able to scheme him open as I think he’s got far more talent than the likes of Malcom Mitchell and Chris Hogan.

57 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Man I think it’s an easy decision not to keep them... Ballard has said he wants coordinators and position coaches who can teach.  Teddy and chud have had two and two and a half years respectively and who on this team has improved? 

57 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I'm really interested to see any changes McDaniels would add to the offense from New England's current set up. Obviously I still expect a boat load of quick hitters, chunk plays, and versatile passing concepts a la NE, but with Luck being a much more athletic and mobile QB than Brady, I wonder if McDaniels incorporates some more designed runs and roll outs for Luck to utilize. 

Brady is a beast no doubt, but he's limited athletically. Especially at 40. Luck (if he's healed up of course), would give Josh McDaniels some options to get creative with the offense. 

God I'm getting excited thinking about the possibilities with McD as the coach. Hopefully no voodoo, wizardry, and nonsense occurs over the next 3 weeks (lets be real, J'Ville ain't beating em haha) and he somehow ends up in Tennessee. 

What’s going to be funny is being on a jaguars board Sunday night during the game and watch their realization that once we get a solid defense in place they are acrewes.  Titans fans were pooping themselves on Saturday. 

14 hours ago, CR91 said:

Well....     Chud may still get a job as the OC for a team.     No need for him to commit to a lesser position.

Second,  it's not clear if he has another contract still due him.     He could take a year off WITH pay.

Third,   it's often awkward to stick around for a new administraation.    It might make things awkward for Chud to work well under McDaniels and a new OC who is still getting his feet wet in the NFL.  

This would NOT be a good fit for Chud.     He needs a fresh start elsewhere....    And he'll get it.

4 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

What’s going to be funny is being on a jaguars board Sunday night during the game and watch their realization that once we get a solid defense in place they are acrewes.  Titans fans were pooping themselves on Saturday. 

It honestly wouldn't shock me at all if the Patriots win something like 34-17. I don't see that game even being close and I see Tommy breaking 30 again. The Jags realization be like ours was in Jan of 2015, Steelers was last season, and the Titans last week.

Just now, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Oh yeah. I'm excited. I legit have not been this excited as a Colts fans since probably the beginning of the 2015 season when we were super bowl favourites (and we all know how that ended up haha). I don't like jumping the gun as as fan, especially when the deal isn't even done yet at this point, but gosh the sky is the limit for this team. Josh McD as a coach I think has a very high ceiling. Hopefully he's learned a lot from his Denver days. 

Plus if Josh takes our job over Tennesee's or any of the others, it likely means he's confident in Luck's recovery (which is a good sign for a guy whose been quite picky as to which team he wants to coach).

As Ballard continues to add talent to the team, if things go well, we'll be a force in the NFL for a while.

Just need some patience and Luck (pun intended).  

5 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Man I think it’s an easy decision not to keep them... Ballard has said he wants coordinators and position coaches who can teach.  Teddy and chud have had two and two and a half years respectively and who on this team has improved? 

Offense:   Luck improved in 16.    And Brissett did well under difficult circumstanes.   Others who improved,  Doyle and Swoope and Rodgers and some guy named Hilton.    So did AC.    So did Turbin.

Defense:  Sheard had a decent seaason.   As did Hankins and Woods and Hunt and Mingo and Simon.    How about the secondary, where Melvin and Desir and Hairston and Farley and Milton and Moore.

I appreciate that the season was terrible,  but that doesn't mean there weren't bright spots.    Simply trying to say that nobody improved or got better under Chud and Ted is demonstrably false.

I think the Pats are being given too much credit. That Jax team is pretty good. A better team than Tenn. They will do a much better job defensively than Tenn. A much better secondary and lets not forget they had 55 sacks this year. They will definitely harass Brady. Will boil down to Bortles as usual, but hes been playing much better ball. I can actually see Jax possibly getting a win. Doesnt mean a whole lot but Jax beat them in the preseason. They didnt have much answer for Fournette. I could see Jax putting up a great fight if they play clean and tough ball. I'm not going to just write them off in the blowout category just yet.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Offense:   Luck improved in 16.    And Brissett did well under difficult circumstanes.   Others who improved,  Doyle and Swoope and Rodgers and some guy named Hilton.    So did AC.    So did Turbin.

Defense:  Sheard had a decent seaason.   As did Hankins and Woods and Hunt and Mingo and Simon.    How about the secondary, where Melvin and Desir and Hairston and Farley and Milton and Moore.

I appreciate that the season was terrible,  but that doesn't mean there weren't bright spots.    Simply trying to say that nobody improved or got better under Chud and Ted is demonstrably false.

Outside a few of those guys I wouldn’t consider them improvements because they were already proven players.  Luck was more efficient in 16 yes,  don’t even get my started on Hilton who is so inconsistent it drives me insane... I’ll give you the secondary inprovements with the exception of Moore who got torched reguelarly.  Woods and Hankins were proven players.  

If you take take out the guys who haven’t shown remarkable improvement which is most of your list the team didn’t get better.  Why do you think Ballard is putting such an emphasis on coordinators who can teach?  Because this team hasn’t had that. 

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I will also bring up the fact that we went from having a top five offense under pep to not even being in the top 20.  And Teddy had two 32nd ranked defenses.. 

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

I think the Pats are being given too much credit. That Jax team is pretty good. A better team than Tenn. They will do a much better job defensively than Tenn. Will boil down to Bortles as usual, but hes been playing much better ball. I can actually see Jax possibly getting a win. Doesnt mean a whole lot but Jax beat them in the preseason. They didnt have much answer for Fournette. I could see Jax putting up a great fight if they play clean and tough ball.

I will say this though, if McDaniels and in general the NE offense struggles to get going against one of our divisional rivals next year, people will most certainly start freaking out haha

Just now, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Outside a few of those guys I wouldn’t consider them improvements because they were already proven players.  Luck was more efficient in 16 yes,  don’t even get my started on Hilton who is so inconsistent it drives me insane... I’ll give you the secondary inprovements with the exception of Moore who got torched reguelarly.  Woods and Hankins were proven players.  

If you take take out the guys who haven’t shown remarkable improvement which is most of your list the team didn’t get better.  Why do you think Ballard is putting such an emphasis on coordinators who can teach?  Because this team hasn’t had that. 

Just one example of how far off base you are....   and how hard you're trying to trash the coordinators....

Al Woods was proven to nobody in this community.     No one was thrilled when we signed him.    Everyone here called him "depth" because they were convinced Hankins would be the nose tackle.

Except Hankins didn't play the nose.    Woods did.   And Hankins played next to him.

As for Hilton,  in 16 TYH led the entire NFL in yards receiving.    That's more than everyone else.    More than Brown, and Green and Jones.      All of them.     Hilton did less this year because he didn't have Luck throwing to him.

When you try to make everyone into cartoon characters that are all bad or all good,  then you've lost the argument.

Even good things can happen in bad years.     It did for the Colts.     You just don't want to acknowledge it.

3 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

I will also bring up the fact that we went from having a top five offense under pep to not even being in the top 20.  And Teddy had two 32nd ranked defenses.. 

See?      There you go again?     Making my points,  not yours.

Our offense with Chud and Luck was just fine.    It clearly wasn't without Luck.

And our defense wasn't Monachino's fault.     It was Grigson's fault?      Where's the talent on that side of the ball?    There isn't any.

I've had this same debate with plenty of other Colts fans who can't see straight.     The search for villains is constant on this website.      Pagano and Grigson and Pep and Chud and Manusky and Monachino and Irsay and on and on and on....

Things are never as clear and obvious as fans try to make them out to be.

Good things happen during bad years.     I'm sorry you missed it.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Just one example of how far off base you are....   and how hard you're trying to trash the coordinators....

Al Woods was proven to nobody in this community.     No one was thrilled when we signed him.    Everyone here called him "depth" because they were convinced Hankins would be the nose tackle.

Except Hankins didn't play the nose.    Woods did.   And Hankins played next to him.

As for Hilton,  in 16 TYH led the entire NFL in yards receiving.    That's more than everyone else.    More than Brown, and Green and Jones.      All of them.     Hilton did less this year because he didn't have Luck throwing to him.

When you try to make everyone into cartoon characters that are all bad or all good,  then you've lost the argument.

Even good things can happen in bad years.     It did for the Colts.     You just don't want to acknowledge it.

Do me a favor and look at Hilton’s box scores and tour see what int talking about inconsistent... he has 5 games a year where he explodes for 150 to 200 yards and disappears in the rest... he averages 5 100 yard games a tee through out his career.  He’s not a number one wide receiver and he’s inconsistent.  I just laid the stats out for you. 

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

See?      There you go again?     Making my points,  not yours.

Our offense with Chud and Luck was just fine.    It clearly wasn't without Luck.

And our defense wasn't Monachino's fault.     It was Grigson's fault?      Where's the talent on that side of the ball?    There isn't any.

I've had this same debate with plenty of other Colts fans who can't see straight.     The search for villains is constant on this website.      Pagano and Grigson and Pep and Chud and Manusky and Monachino and Irsay and on and on and on....

Things are never as clear and obvious as fans try to make them out to be.

Good things happen during bad years.     I'm sorry you missed it.

How do I make your point when I point out our offense got worse under chud?  Pep we had a top five offense.  Chud not even in the top 20.  If you say or offense isn’t bad being in the top 20 then got ok with mediocrity that’s cool but not what I want for this team.  I’m sorry if I think it’s a dumb idea to keep this guys around because they clearly haven’t done a good job coaching the team.  Time for some new blood.

7 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Do me a favor and look at Hilton’s box scores and tour see what int talking about inconsistent... he has 5 games a year where he explodes for 150 to 200 yards and disappears in the rest... he averages 5 100 yard games a tee through out his career.  He’s not a number one wide receiver and he’s inconsistent.  I just laid the stats out for you. 

Hilton has been inconsistent since the day he arrived here.

His problems were there under Arians and Pep.

His issues are NOT Chud related.     They're related to TY Hilton.

I know he's not a number one.     Yet Chud used him well enough in 2016 to lead the NFL in receiving yards. 

There,   I just laid the stats for you.

You're confusing your unhappiness with TYH and looking for someone to blame.    You've decided it's Chud.    I've just showed you how it's not a Chud issue.      It's a TYH issue.

8 minutes ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

How do I make your point when I point out our offense got worse under chud?  Pep we had a top five offense.  Chud not even in the top 20.  If you say or offense isn’t bad being in the top 20 then got ok with mediocrity that’s cool but not what I want for this team.  I’m sorry if I think it’s a dumb idea to keep this guys around because they clearly haven’t done a good job coaching the team.  Time for some new blood.

Where did you find the Colts offense was not even in the top 20?     It was top 10 in 2016.

It wasn't this year.     This year we weren't top 20.

Hmmmmm?       What was different about the Colts in 2017 that wasn't a problem in 2016?      Hmmm?

Are you really trying to tell me that Chud should've had a top-10 offense this year with Brissett at QB?

Seriously?         Seriously?        Please.

I'm not making an argument to keep Chud.     I'm glad he's gone.    And I've said so in multiple posts and threads.

Glad.      He's.      Gone.      Really.

But good things still happened under him.     Some people just don't want to acknowledge it.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know he's not a number one.     Yet Chud used him well enough in 2016 to lead the NFL in receiving yards. 

You're confusing your unhappiness with TYH and looking for someone to blame.    You've decided it's Chud.    I've just showed you how it's not a Chud issue.      It's a TYH issue.

lol it’s not a Hilton thing it’s a scheme thing it always has been..and especially look at the games where Hilton goes off he targeted MANY times and the games he’s “invisible” he’s barely thrown to and or running nonsense routes that are being called by Our OC anddd on top of Moncrief playing flag football and a garbage line..for example do you guys honestly think Hilton couldn’t go off week to week like Brown If he saw damn near 10 targets a game with actual pass blocking and creativity in the passing routes? The inconsistency argument goes only so far the man produces when given the opportunity and is the only threat on our offense outside of Luck I’m so confused with the hate on him let’s dump him and see how we manage with everyone else then talk inconsistency 

6 minutes ago, will426 said:

lol it’s not a Hilton thing it’s a scheme thing it always has been..and especially look at the games where Hilton goes off he targeted MANY times and the games he’s “invisible” he’s barely thrown to and or running nonsense routes that are being called by Our OC anddd on top of Moncrief playing flag football and a garbage line..for example do you guys honestly think Hilton couldn’t go off week to week like Brown If he saw damn near 10 targets a game with actual pass blocking and creativity in the passing routes? The inconsistency argument goes only so far the man produces when given the opportunity and is the only threat on our offense outside of Luck I’m so confused with the hate on him let’s dump him and see how we manage with everyone else then talk inconsistency 

This is the same TYH from 2012 and 13 and 14 and 15 and 16 and 17.

He's pretty much the same guy under Bruce Arians, Pep Hamilton and now Rob Chudzinski.

He led the Colts in targets and reception and yards....     pretty much everything.

TYH can be taken out of games because he's 5'10 and about 180.     Guys that small can be handled to a degree.

Yes, I know about Brown.     But how did Hilton have more receiving yards than Brown in 16 with Chud as coordinator?      Problems are more complex than the black and white world that fans live in.

TYH didn't suffer under Chud.    He had the same issues with all three coordinators.

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think a lot of people underrate TY...he almost had 1000 yards this year with very lackluster QB play...I predict big things for him in Mc Daniels offense

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

He was pretty consistent in 2016.  

Most WR's have good days and have days that arn't as productive.  

TY was pretty inconsistent this year I think because of Brissett.  He has to have a QB who can hook up deep with him, otherwise a lot of his threat and ability is neutralized.  The fear of him getting a deep ball is a lot of what made him more effective on the underneath stuff.  

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

no thanks.  I'll be glad to see Chud no longer part of the team.  Also, he's never been a QB coach.  Not saying he couldn't, but prior to being an OC he was a TE coach.

10 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Man I didn’t even think about Swoope!!! I’ve thought a lot about Hilton and Mack.  I wouldn’t be unsurprised if we brought back Moncrief.  Part of his issue, outside of injuries, is getting open.  I think McDaniels will be able to scheme him open as I think he’s got far more talent than the likes of Malcom Mitchell and Chris Hogan.

Hopefully, he can stay healthy next season. He's shown flashes that he can make big plays when healthy. Hopefully, McDaniels can get the best out of him. 

10 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

This is the same TYH from 2012 and 13 and 14 and 15 and 16 and 17.

He's pretty much the same guy under Bruce Arians, Pep Hamilton and now Rob Chudzinski.

He led the Colts in targets and reception and yards....     pretty much everything.

TYH can be taken out of games because he's 5'10 and about 180.     Guys that small can be handled to a degree.

Yes, I know about Brown.     But how did Hilton have more receiving yards than Brown in 16 with Chud as coordinator?      Problems are more complex than the black and white world that fans live in.

TYH didn't suffer under Chud.    He had the same issues with all three coordinators.

Talk about the inconsistent game planning then. Some games we look for Hilton other games we don’t. If you motion Hilton around you can free him. Slants crossing routes he led the league because Luck will force him the ball period (good and bad at times) but I’d rather force him the ball than anyone else on the team. Every WR can be % down but game planning can free them something we have always lacked we don’t adjust to what the def is giving us we don’t use different concepts to free Hilton we give him the same designs sometimes he makes something huge out of hit other times it’s fully covered but here’s nothing creative about how we use Hilton. Put that man in the slot Only one person I can see shutting down Hilton in the slot is Chris Harris jr anyone else is choose Hilton over them in the slot yet we force him to the outside in bracket coverage we don’t know how to utilize talent 

4 hours ago, gnet550 said:

I think a lot of people underrate TY...he almost had 1000 yards this year with very lackluster QB play...I predict big things for him in Mc Daniels offense

YAC will be more, is what I would predict. There will be more motion to free him up for 1-on-1s and when things work, we won't go away from them.

Tom Moore and Peyton ran a lot of EP concepts too, so I expect more rub routes and "unintentional" pick plays. :) 

16 minutes ago, will426 said:

Talk about the inconsistent game planning then. Some games we look for Hilton other games we don’t. If you motion Hilton around you can free him. Slants crossing routes he led the league because Luck will force him the ball period (good and bad at times) but I’d rather force him the ball than anyone else on the team. Every WR can be % down but game planning can free them something we have always lacked we don’t adjust to what the def is giving us we don’t use different concepts to free Hilton we give him the same designs sometimes he makes something huge out of hit other times it’s fully covered but here’s nothing creative about how we use Hilton. Put that man in the slot Only one person I can see shutting down Hilton in the slot is Chris Harris jr anyone else is choose Hilton over them in the slot yet we force him to the outside in bracket coverage we don’t know how to utilize talent 

Like I said....    happy that Chud is gone.

I was only addressing the idea that no one  got better with either coordinator.    That's what started all this.

Looking forward to a new and better coaching staff to get the most out of our players.

14 hours ago, CR91 said:

They speak a different language. The offense is different, the terminology is different, the philosophy is different. I don't see how Chud could help anyone in McDaniels offense, at least not right away.

Beyond that, he has no history as a QB coach. 

Chud should find a gig either this year or next as an OC somewhere. 

5 hours ago, gnet550 said:

He slides perfectly into that Brandin Cooks role. That said we don't have nearly the running backs, TE, or slot receiver that NE has. Jarvis Landry now moves up very high on my want list...since those short crossing and option routes would likely be installed here as well. Maybe we bring him and Lewis over to be our starting rb and team up with Mack as our third down back...bring back Turbin for short yardage...bring in some OL help...the offense could get turned around quickly....Brissett to help Luck with terminology. Defense still needs help at LBs though...rush and middle.