Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

REPORT: Colts expected to hire McDaniels as HC, per NFL.com

Superman

On 1/21/2018 at 3:43 PM, Tom R said:

A former Hoosier here that is still a Colts fan. I now live in Colorado. For all of those that think McDaniels is a good choice, I'm sure you will find out otherwise if he is hired. I watched him get hired in Denver about 10 years ago, and I watched him dismantle the Bronco's and destroy that team. He got fired and John Fox/Payton Manning repaired the damage done with much help from Elway. For those that think McDaniels and Luck will be a good team, think again. the first thing McDaniels did in Denver was get rid of an upcoming young quarterback named Jay Cutler, and put in his man Tim Tebow. We know how Tebow turned out...........not well, as he has been long out of football. And yes Jay Cutler's career has been spotty at best, but back in his Denver days no one knew what was to come. He looked good at that time. One of the first things McDaniels will do is get rid of Luck for draft picks, and keep "his" man, Jacoby Brissett, who is also from the Patriots, at the starting quarterback position. 'Nuff said!

Nuff said? Thank god.

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:43 PM, Tom R said:

A former Hoosier here that is still a Colts fan. I now live in Colorado. For all of those that think McDaniels is a good choice, I'm sure you will find out otherwise if he is hired. I watched him get hired in Denver about 10 years ago, and I watched him dismantle the Bronco's and destroy that team. He got fired and John Fox/Payton Manning repaired the damage done with much help from Elway. For those that think McDaniels and Luck will be a good team, think again. the first thing McDaniels did in Denver was get rid of an upcoming young quarterback named Jay Cutler, and put in his man Tim Tebow. We know how Tebow turned out...........not well, as he has been long out of football. And yes Jay Cutler's career has been spotty at best, but back in his Denver days no one knew what was to come. He looked good at that time. One of the first things McDaniels will do is get rid of Luck for draft picks, and keep "his" man, Jacoby Brissett, who is also from the Patriots, at the starting quarterback position. 'Nuff said!

McDaniels will not be in charge of who is drafted, traded or cut. 

One other thing Irsay  normally lets the GM do his job but I highly doubt he would let Luck be traded especially from a head coach.

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

McDaniels will not be in charge of who is drafted, traded or cut. 

One other thing Irsay  normally lets the GM do his job but I highly doubt he would let Luck be traded especially from a head coach.

All you have to do is watch Irsay's presser from three weeks ago to know that Luck isn't going to be traded. 

2 hours ago, CR91 said:

This is why I can't see McDaniels backing out. Eberflus seems to have already committed to being the DC.

Although, I could see the Cowboys having moved on from Eberflus ever since that FB photo incident.

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not since the thread is huge.. Although for those worried about McDaniels not having learned from his mistakes 7 years ago with the way he tore apart Denver, you'll just have to trust the process that Ballard has put in place for these interviews. Not sure where I read about how one of the selling points for Irsay on Ballard was a huge binder on coaching selections, etc. that he presented of which it was made out to be a pretty intensive process. One would like to think that in relation to McDaniels the FIRST question Ballard would be asking him would be something along the lines of "What did you learn from what went down in Denver".

The fact that we're at least preparing to offer him a job suggests that McDaniels provided the answer he wanted to hear from a coach who failed miserably and has managed to find success again at a lower position. 

I think the bigger question mark around him though is (as has been mentioned) his ability to survive without Belichick. Considering how things went both at Denver and St Louis.

45 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Darn, I was some how hoping we could snag Richard as our DB coach under Eberflus. I suppose you have to strike while the iron's hot and he couldn't afford to wait around a couple weeks.

On 1/21/2018 at 3:43 PM, Tom R said:

the first thing McDaniels did in Denver was get rid of an upcoming young quarterback named Jay Cutler, and put in his man Tim Tebow. We know how Tebow turned out...........not well, as he has been long out of football. And yes Jay Cutler's career has been spotty at best, but back in his Denver days no one knew what was to come. He looked good at that time. One of the first things McDaniels will do is get rid of Luck for draft picks, and keep "his" man, Jacoby Brissett, who is also from the Patriots, at the starting quarterback position. 'Nuff said!

The first thing he tried to do was trade Jay Cutler (who was know for being a difficult person to deal with) to bring in Matt Cassel. Why deal with a jerk crybaby when you could bring in a guy that knows your system, will listen, and won't cause any problems? And he didn't ship off Cutler to bring in Tebow. He shipped off Cutler because Cutler became a locker room cancer after he heard about the botched trade. Tebow just ended up his pick the next off-season, for whatever reason.

He likes Luck and has spoken REALLY highly of him on multiple occasions. He's not going anywhere..

2 hours ago, Shive said:

The first thing he tried to do was trade Jay Cutler (who was know for being a difficult person to deal with) to bring in Matt Cassel. Why deal with a jerk crybaby when you could bring in a guy that knows your system, will listen, and won't cause any problems? And he didn't ship off Cutler to bring in Tebow. He shipped off Cutler because Cutler became a locker room cancer after he heard about the botched trade. Tebow just ended up his pick the next off-season, for whatever reason.

He likes Luck and has spoken REALLY highly of him on multiple occasions. He's not going anywhere..

In the interest of clarity....

Tebow didn't end up with Denver for "whatever reason."    McDaniels wanted Tebow and he traded a 2, 3, and 4 to move into the first to make it happen.  It was his call, he made it happen.

And when Tebow didn't work out...  well...   the rest is history...

Schefter  is Prob right. We aren’t close to a deal. Irsay told us that Ballard would bring his fav candidate(s) to him for a second interview. 

Thos interview Irsay will be there and get everything agreed upon so that Monday after the super bowl it’s ready to go. 

McDaniels is the guy. 

On 1/23/2018 at 3:01 AM, NewColtsFan said:

In the interest of clarity....

Tebow didn't end up with Denver for "whatever reason."    McDaniels wanted Tebow and he traded a 2, 3, and 4 to move into the first to make it happen.  It was his call, he made it happen.

And when Tebow didn't work out...  well...   the rest is history...

I probably should have been clearer with that last bit. I know he made the move get Tebow, but I still don't understand the reasoning.

On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:43 PM, Tom R said:

McDaniels will have nothing to do with who we get rid of or Draft. That will be Ballard's decisions. Even if he did, he isn't trading Luck and rolling with Brissett lmao 

45 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

McDaniels will have nothing to do with who we get rid of or Draft. That will be Ballard's decisions. Even if he did, he isn't trading Luck and rolling with Brissett lmao 

The poster you quoted was definitely delusional ...

But, I think McDaniels will definitely have "something to do with" .. who they keep, get rid of, and draft.  The final decision will be CB, but I think JM will definitely have significant input.

1 hour ago, Shive said:

I probably should have been clearer with that last bit. I know he made the move get Tebow, but I still don't understand the reasoning.

I think he thought Tebow would be great in his offense.    I know the decision looks bizarre now...   but way back then there were people who thought Tebow was the future of what an NFL quarterback could be.  

That's one lesson I hope McDaniels learned the hard way.

Look, I get some reservations over hiring McDaniels over the debacle in Denver. It's a normal reaction at the outset. But, it's important not to get carried away with nightmare INDY scenarios either. I'm sure Josh learned lessons from that experience like all coaches do.

In Josh's defense, he did beat Belichick early against NE too. He forgot to shake Bill's hand because he was so excited over defeating his mentor, which was strange I'll admit, but I have a feeling McDaniels will be great for us. An offense that hums, less penalties or false starts at home, & we won't beat ourselves meaning having lapses in concentration late in games. 

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think he thought Tebow would be great in his offense.    I know the decision looks bizarre now...   but way back then there were people who thought Tebow was the future of what an NFL quarterback could be.  

That's one lesson I hope McDaniels learned the hard way.

True. I also think that Josh revered Tebow's work ethic & unselfishness to improve his QB skill set long after practice was actually over. I get it. All the passion in the world doesn't mean a person can perform in crunch time, especially when a QB's accuracy suffers or is wildly inconsistent like Tim's arm was. 

It's like a person passionate about becoming a doctor. If you can't pass organic chemistry or faint at the sight of blood, you will never become a doctor or do open heart surgery. Passion & talent must be on a level playing field. 

45 minutes ago, esmort said:

But, I think McDaniels will definitely have "something to do with" .. who they keep, get rid of, and draft.  The final decision will be CB, but I think JM will definitely have significant input.

Ok I can buy that, I shouldn't of said nothing to do with it but as you said, Ballard will have more of a say.

I'm merely assuming in the premise of my question, based upon the announcement of Phair, but should the result of today's meeting with McDaniels mean that a list of coaches is compiled and we could start seeing a flurry of coordinator/assistant coach announcements before the Super Bowl is even played and McDaniels signs his contract? 

Just wondered what others thought about this.

4 minutes ago, Pelt said:

I'm merely assuming in the premise of my question, based upon the hiring of Phair, but should the result of today's meeting with McDaniels mean that a list of coaches is compiled and we could start seeing a flurry of coordinator/assistant coach hirings before the Super Bowl is even played and McDaniels signs his contract? 

Just wondered what others thought about this.

I'm sure they've come to agreements, but nothing will be signed until after super bowl Sunday.

18 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I'm sure they've come to agreements, but nothing will be signed until after super bowl Sunday.

That's just it though, we've just seen Phair get announced and we don't officially have a head coach yet. Just wondering if we'll see a lot more of the same after today.

15 minutes ago, Pelt said:

That's just it though, we've just seen Phair get announced and we don't officially have a head coach yet. Just wondering if we'll see a lot more of the same after today.

I’m sure we will start to see moves being made tomorrow 

47 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Strange we didn't hear anything about the interview today

He was probably telling them who to hire and doing logistics.  I doubt they were talking draft picks or strategy.  Plenty of time for that in a few more days.  

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 12:31 AM, esmort said:

Not only will it be Ballard and  McDaniels,  the scouting crew will also be a part of putting the board together.  Ballard will be the one pulling the final strings but it is a committee effort as it should be. With all the players looked at it is too much work for just one person. Can you imagine the hours of tape that needs to be watched?  :scratch: