Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

REPORT: Colts expected to hire McDaniels as HC, per NFL.com

Superman

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Regarding Jimbo Irsay, people can say what they want to about him regarding being high = pills or booze/ or him not getting around well. Having said that, the old man still has it by hiring Ballard and being an influence getting McDaniels here to Coach us (assuming Josh comes). Keep in mind he had a huge influence on Drafting Peyton and Luck as well which have been 2 huge right decisions. He also hired Bill Polian in 1998 when he became owner. So the next time anyone decides to put our owner down or make fun of him, they should think twice. We have been damn lucky to have him! He hates to lose and loves the team and the fans.

-Since Jim has been our owner, the Colts have a 196-124 Regular Season record from 1998-2017 = 61.3 winning %. The Colts have also been to 4 AFC Title Games in his 20 season tenure as owner, 2 SB's, and have won a SB. By the way he has been our owner for 20 full seasons. Happy 20th Jim!

damn straight.

12 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I haven't listened to JMV lately but I wonder what he thinks. I do like his show but because of my schedule I rarely catch his show now. Donohue produces that show.

Donahue's only 24-25 I think, plus he's not even in Indy right now. I believe he's out in Portland visiting family. Seems like someone looking to get attention.

A former Hoosier here that is still a Colts fan. I now live in Colorado. For all of those that think McDaniels is a good choice, I'm sure you will find out otherwise if he is hired. I watched him get hired in Denver about 10 years ago, and I watched him dismantle the Bronco's and destroy that team. He got fired and John Fox/Payton Manning repaired the damage done with much help from Elway. For those that think McDaniels and Luck will be a good team, think again. the first thing McDaniels did in Denver was get rid of an upcoming young quarterback named Jay Cutler, and put in his man Tim Tebow. We know how Tebow turned out...........not well, as he has been long out of football. And yes Jay Cutler's career has been spotty at best, but back in his Denver days no one knew what was to come. He looked good at that time. One of the first things McDaniels will do is get rid of Luck for draft picks, and keep "his" man, Jacoby Brissett, who is also from the Patriots, at the starting quarterback position. 'Nuff said!

2 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Just realized, with the Vrabel hiring, all AFC South head coaches have some sort of relation to the Pats. McDaniels and O'Brien are former Belichick coaches. Vrabel played for Belichick and is an ex-Pats player. Marrone was recommended bye BB for the job.

A lil late to the party, but welcome !

1 hour ago, Tom R said:

A former Hoosier here that is still a Colts fan. I now live in Colorado. For all of those that think McDaniels is a good choice, I'm sure you will find out otherwise if he is hired. I watched him get hired in Denver about 10 years ago, and I watched him dismantle the Bronco's and destroy that team. He got fired and John Fox/Payton Manning repaired the damage done with much help from Elway. For those that think McDaniels and Luck will be a good team, think again. the first thing McDaniels did in Denver was get rid of an upcoming young quarterback named Jay Cutler, and put in his man Tim Tebow. We know how Tebow turned out...........not well, as he has been long out of football. And yes Jay Cutler's career has been spotty at best, but back in his Denver days no one knew what was to come. He looked good at that time. One of the first things McDaniels will do is get rid of Luck for draft picks, and keep "his" man, Jacoby Brissett, who is also from the Patriots, at the starting quarterback position. 'Nuff said!

Yeah the reason he failed in Denver is because your owner was an * and gave an unproven head coach complete control of the roster.  McDaniels can’t get rid of Luck with out Ballard doing it.  McDaniels has zero control of the roster.  So take your uninformed opinion somewhere else. 

1 hour ago, Tom R said:

Also, no one can fault McDaniels for getting rid of that pain in the butt (cutler) there is a reason he doesn’t stick anywhere. 

1 hour ago, Tom R said:

Couple things from your post:

1. "...about 10 years ago..."

2. Luck and Cutler couldn't be more different from a mental standpoint.

3. He will get rid of Luck for Brissett. Lol. That's funny. 'Nuff said!

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

McDaniels play calling was so good in that 2nd half. Can not wait to see what he can do with Luck.

I was thinking the same thing.  I was torn, I wanted the Pats to lose but I was really enjoying how he found ways to beat a pretty darn good D.  

Bummer we we have to wait another two weeks until he gets to work for us. 

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

McDaniels play calling was so good in that 2nd half. Can not wait to see what he can do with Luck.

Agreed. 

If Ballard can at a minimum get the D serviceable, we'll be good. Luck is smart and will pick this up no problem.

2 hours ago, Tom R said:

Pipe down, Troll.

6 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Agree. That run play to get the first down so the Pats could run out the clock was great. Hope Ballard finds an Amendola-like receiver or two to add a good possession receiver to the Colts.

2 hours ago, Tom R said:

Could not be more wrong. He will not control the team operations as he did in Denver. Who was dumber in Denver, the guy that gave total control to a 31 year old kid or the 31 year old kid who accepted the responsibility and received several million in return?

1 hour ago, ad24rouse said:

Couple things from your post:

1. "...about 10 years ago..."

2. Luck and Cutler couldn't be more different from a mental standpoint.

3. He will get rid of Luck for Brissett. Lol. That's funny. 'Nuff said!

Hey, don’t knock him.  That post was hilarious!  Number 3 is priceless.

That’s darn good trolling!

9 minutes ago, ColtsAC said:

Agree. That run play to get the first down so the Pats could run out the clock was great. Hope Ballard finds an Amendola-like receiver or two to add a good possession receiver to the Colts.

Would be nice to find an Edelman or Amendola. 

I think TY could do some great stuff in that offense. Maybe Rogers can too. Moncrief probably won't be back and it'll be interesting to see what Ballard does there. The good news is I don't think you have to be an elite WR to do well in that type of system.

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think TY could do some great stuff in that offense. Maybe Rogers can too. Moncrief probably won't be back and it'll be interesting to see what Ballard does there. The good news is I don't think you have to be an elite WR to do well in that type of system.

Agreed. 

I actually think we could see a big overhaul of our WR corps. It will be interesting to see how they evaluate our current players and where they will find replacements.

13 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Could not be more wrong. He will not control the team operations as he did in Denver. Who was dumber in Denver, the guy that gave total control to a 31 year old kid or the 31 year old kid who accepted the responsibility and received several million in return?

You make a compelling point.  

The difference between Luck, Cutler and Tebow is that Luck can carry a really bad team which will relieve a lot of stress from Josh's offensive responsibilities.  All McDaniels has to do in order to ensure success, is to support Eberflus with enough talent to assemble an above average defense. Put Luck on any team with an average defense and you're talking Conference Championships.  Put him with an elite defense and it would be lights out.

McDaniels has had numerous QBs to choose from over the last several years but there is a reason he chose to work with Luck.  I bet he won't squander this opportunity.

30 minutes ago, Clem-Dog said:

The difference between Luck, Cutler and Tebow is that Luck can carry a really bad team which will relieve a lot of stress from Josh's offensive responsibilities.  All McDaniels has to do in order to ensure success, is to support Eberflus with enough talent to assemble an above average defense. Put Luck on any team with an average defense and you're talking Conference Championships.  Put him with an elite defense and it would be lights out.

McDaniels has had numerous QBs to choose from over the last several years but there is a reason he chose to work with Luck.  I bet he won't squander this opportunity.

To the bolded...I thought this was the job of the GM?

8 minutes ago, Dr. T said:

I am so impressed with the play calls by JM in this game! Trick plays, flea flickers, all kinds of imaginative stuff. Can't wait to see him calling plays here. :applause:

It wasn't a beautiful game offensively, but the one timely screen in the 4th may have been the difference in the game.

6 hours ago, dodsworth said:

I'm not sure what I like best about the McDaniels hire better?

Stabilizing our horrid coaching staff over the last 8 or 9 years

or hurting the Pats knowing they haven't won a SB without him

on their sidelines.

Ponder....ponder....Both! I like both!

I'm sure they'e gonna be shedding tears with their 6..err 5 rings. lol. They won the war. 

27 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I'm sure they'e gonna be shedding tears with their 6..err 5 rings. lol. They won the war. 

They won the war... a long time ago.

That said, we did play them about as well as anyone, winning 5 out of 6 in the late 2000's, en route to a championship and another Super Bowl appearance.

Eli andthe Giants probably hurt them more, however.

49 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

To the bolded...I thought this was the job of the GM?

Sure Ballard will make the decisions, but McDaniels will influence some of those.  Regardless, the gist of my post is that Eberflus will need considerable support to produce a viable defense.  

7 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think TY could be one of those guys on steroids in McDaniels system.  Hopefully they use him like that.  Have Luck get the ball out fast and let TY do the work.  

7 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

McDaniels will be the head coach. He will not be in charge of who Ballard drafts or signs.

10 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Moncrief is back on a prove it deal. He is only 24 fits Ballard's measurables and the offense was a mess. He did well in the red zone the last time he and Luck were together. I could see McDaniels feeling he could that size and speed to produce. 

14 hours ago, Tom R said:

Good thinking.  He is smart to leave a successful situation just so he can Suck Without Luck.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

McDaniels will be the head coach. He will not be in charge of who Ballard drafts or signs.

Here's an earlier post of mine.

15 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

Sure Ballard will make the decisions, but McDaniels will influence some of those.  Regardless, the gist of my post is that Eberflus will need considerable support to produce a viable defense.  

You don't think Josh will have any influence whatsoever?  I see him lobbying Ballard on many decisions.