Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

REPORT: Colts expected to hire McDaniels as HC, per NFL.com

Superman

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Ya that's it, lets hack the account of a no name person and post a picture of them associated with a team, whom less than 24 hours ago nobody knew was possible. That could be plausible, or they realized they messed up and deleted it and will just use the age old, unprovable, excuse that someone hacked their account.

Wasn’t saying that’s definitely what happened here, but there are some pretty psychotic fans out there who are capable of such things, seen it happen before. FB accounts are apparently pretty easy to hack, pretty much everyone I know who has FB has been hacked at one time. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, GOZER said:

Wasn’t saying that’s definitely what happened here, but there are some pretty psychotic fans out there who are capable of such things, seen it happen before. FB accounts are apparently pretty easy to hack, pretty much everyone I know who has FB has been hacked at one time. :dunno:

don't use password123 as your password lol.

7 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Which does not reassure me in the least. Wonder why it has taken him 9 years to become a HC again?

He's been offered HC coaching jobs in the past and turned them down. I'm not a proponent on McDaniels but I'm not a hater of him either.  I'm taking a wait and see approach. 

This excerpt from Doyels article bugs me....

McDaniels went 11-17 and was fired during his second season in Denver, a week after the NFL fined McDaniels after one of his staffers was caught illegally video-taping an opponent. Neither the NFL nor the Broncos could determine that McDaniels ordered the taping......

Please leave the cheating or “crafty rule bending” in New England please, integrity is more important to me. Again, going to try and be positive about this hiring and hope he is successful and gets the Colts back to their winning ways. I like Ballard, I think he has done great so far, so in Ballard I will trust.

I Won't turn on McVisor until he gives me reason to.

I'm slightly glad Ballard didn't try to do what many failed GM's have done in the past and just hire guys from his old team, he didn't try to make us the Indianapolis Chiefs.

Looking at McD's resume, he's a coaches kid and been around football forever. Hopefully it all comes together in Indy for him, and us fans of course.

43 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

To me, that is just a sad statement. I've never been a supporting of McDaniels, and that is just based on his track record and quoted players who hated playing for him. He was called a "punk" more than once.

I guess calling my opinion a "sad statement" must be some kind of dis. 

Some Colts fans hate the Patriots and ascribe any success they have to cheating.  That is truly sad.  McDaniels has been an extremely successful coordinator.  He is among the most sought after candidate for a head coach job and has been for a while.  By all reports, he is an excellent game planner.  I have not heard of dissatisfaction among Patriots players.  And it's not because nobody is interested in printing stuff about that team.

Do you also think Thomas Edison was a big loser because he didn't get the light bulb right on the first try?

22 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I'm not sold on McDaniels either but that was a trashy article at best.

Maybe the writer should leave Indy or quit his beat if he's going to be that sensitive about the hire he does not like. Man, give Josh a chance. If Colts make wildcard in 18 then a great year, but even 500 would be good with the schedule they have.

37 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He's been offered HC coaching jobs in the past and turned them down. I'm not a proponent on McDaniels but I'm not a hater of him either.  I'm taking a wait and see approach. 

Oh I reserve judgement to how well he will be OUR head coach, but this doesn't mean I shouldn't take his historical head coach experience and hold it against him. This is of course, another bias, but one that we all do. However, no amount of critical thinking can be used to assess if he is going to be a good head coach now. You especially cannot use his time after HC as an OC because they cannot compare. So we only have what we have to go off of, and what we have is not good.

42 minutes ago, csmopar said:

He took a negative slant, but he provided evidence to support his negativity. As his position allows, he does not have to point out all the positive things. It isn't college writing level that's for sure.

6 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

Oh I reserve judgement to how well he will be OUR head coach, but this doesn't mean I shouldn't take his historical head coach experience and hold it against him. This is of course, another bias, but one that we all do. However, no amount of critical thinking can be used to assess if he is going to be a good head coach now. You especially cannot use his time after HC as an OC because they cannot compare. So we only have what we have to go off of, and what we have is not good.

4 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

He took a negative slant, but he provided evidence to support his negativity. As his position allows, he does not have to point out all the positive things. It isn't college writing level that's for sure.

Well, here's my thought.  I'm gonna give whoever they officially sign a clean slate. What they did on their past resume is irrelevant to the future in my opinion.  Every single option for Head Coach has some negative bagged assigned to them.  Otherwise, they'd not be an option.  Even Dungy had negative baggage.  But i'm going to give McDaniels or whoever it turns out to be, time to hang himself.  I can't change his history, neither can he. He can, however, change his future and that's the key.  So beating a guy up on his past history is counterproductive, especially if its in the forum of a public lashing like Doyle is doing.

34 minutes ago, Roger said:

I guess calling my opinion a "sad statement" must be some kind of dis. 

Some Colts fans hate the Patriots and ascribe any success they have to cheating.  That is truly sad.  McDaniels has been an extremely successful coordinator.  He is among the most sought after candidate for a head coach job and has been for a while.  By all reports, he is an excellent game planner.  I have not heard of dissatisfaction among Patriots players.  And it's not because nobody is interested in printing stuff about that team.

Do you also think Thomas Edison was a big loser because he didn't get the light bulb right on the first try?

Edison was not the one who invented the light bulb.

Before him there was Volta, Rue, Staite, Swan, Woodruff and Evans.

Edison actually got the second patent behind Swan who got a patent in England before Edison did in America.

Swan and Edison ended up joining together to form Edison-Swan United.

You just happened to make a statement that I know a lot about.

I have gone back and forth on this a few times in terms of my feelings on McDaniels.

I can see both sides of the argument.  He failed in Denver.....but he had no one like Luck.......but he was also not liked by the players........but he seems loved by NE (including Brissett)...........but he hasn't done anything outwith New England...........but Belichik had done nothing before New England......... :scratch:

My point being, whatever side you want to fall on, I can't argue with your perspective.

What I will say is that Ballard has obviously had McDaniels in mind since the day he stepped foot in Indy. He has had this magic binder of his for years and, of all the choices he had, McDaniels was the one he was in communication with throughout the past year and was one of the first interviews (although NE schedule likely played a part).

I also believe one of the key factors in the appointment is the fact they get along, which has always been a goal of Ballard.  They need to communicate constantly and be on the same page, and I believe Ballard would have ensured, as far as possible, this will work before making the decision.

Ballard will be the one to live or die by this decision, and its clear he has put the work in to determine who is the best person to take the Colts forward. 

:coltslogo:

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/15/nfl-coaching-carousel-news-mike-vrabel-tennessee-titans

Here’s a little more from the coaching-rumors grapevine …

• As I understand it, McDaniels was always going to want two things—a GM he respected and a quarterback he liked. Indianapolis checked off both boxes, and the credit goes to Colts GM Chris Ballard. Ballard and McDaniels built a rapport over the last year and, as ESPN’s Seth Wickersham reported, Ballard worked to repair the team’s Deflategate-affected relationship with the Patriots, something that resulted in the Jacoby Brissett trade. Having the foresight to know those things might matter is a tribute to the foresight of Indy’s second-year personnel czar.

• As for the quarterback, I’ll say that McDaniels must’ve been satisfied with what he saw in Andrew Luck’s medicals to take the job. Others who went through there felt like Luck would be fine, and those coaches leaving the building were encouraged as well. When Luck left for Europe in October, he was noticeably lighter (one coach estimated he’d lost 20-30 pounds) than when he last played. Luck returned to the building during Week 17, having put the weight back on. “He looked like Andrew again,” the coach said. The plan has been for him to start a throwing program this month, and that’ll tell the tale, but his ability to return to fighting shape qualifies as a good sign.

• We wrote it last week, and this should become official soon after the McDaniels hire happens: Look for Cowboys linebackers coach Matt Eberflus to be the Colts defensive coordinator. When McDaniels got the Denver job in 2009, he made a run at making then-Philadelphia secondary coach Sean McDermott his defensive coordinator, but the Eagles blocked McDermott from interviewing. The idea was to pair with a rising young coach on the other side of the ball. That should happen now without a hitch, because Eberflus’s deal in Dallas is up.

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You really think that will happen regarding your 1st sentence? Man that is a stretch of Conspiracy Theory thought if I have ever heard one. I guess if we hire him some people still wont be happy. 99% of people wanted Chuck gone and say Chuck sucks in here, now we go out and get a guy that is young, been under BB, and has a scheme that will prolong Luck's career and some still aren't happy. Oh well, I think hiring McDaniels is the right thing to do. Out of the candidates out there he is arguably the best. To the people that say Wilks or Shurmur, what would make them better? I think people that bring them up are people that just don't want McDaniels. McDaniels has a better resume than both. What would make Nagy better for that matter? What would make Toub better? We weren't getting Harbaugh because he wasn't leaving Michigan either.

Couple of things here.  

1. This isn't a comparison between the other candidates.  If you want to know what my preference was I wanted Shurmur or Toub but my guys weren't even considered. And the reason I wanted them is because frankly Toub has a resume that can compare with Mcdaniels without red flags and tons of deep connections within the NFL. And Shurmur seems to be an exceptional offensive mind like Mcdaniels but without the experience but also no red flags. 

2. I was actually a Chuck supporter.  He had faults but he also did right, where alot of coaches get wrong.  Plus he had a valuable trait in teaching DBs.   His downfall was his inability to get a staff that masked his weaknesses and a somewhat dated philosophy on football. 

3.  In regards to your first statement. Yes I imagine we will have a scandal of some sort soon. His biggest issue in Denver for me wasn't his personality issues (fixable) nor his Xs and Os (outstanding) it was that he was connected to illegal video taping there and he wasn't even there 2 years to settle in.  I just think it's amusing how this forum has been holier than thou for the past 10 years (think back to Walden and his headbuts or the constant deflate gate b.s. and etc.) And now all of a sudden we gloss over the one guy who's been either directly (once) or indirectly (too many to count) involved with scandals of the past 10 years. 

Like I said I have some excitement because I know the guy can coach but he is a far cry from Dungy. And that was one of the few things about Dungy I liked was that he valued the game.  I'll say this though I'm more impressed with Ballard here in his preparation of this moment. Truly impressive. 

14 hours ago, masterlock said:

I believe hiring McDaniels will go down as a terrible decision on Ballard's part. I honestly don't know why so many Colts fans are so happy about this. The guy has done NOTHING. His success in New England cannot be viewed in isolation from Brady and Belichick.

And, as Greg Doyle points out in an IndyStar article, "as offensive coordinator in St. Louis, McDaniels guided the 2011 Rams off a cliff: last in the NFL in points, next-to-last in yards. That was former No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford’s second year in the NFL, and he posted career-low totals in passer rating (70.5), quarterback rating (34.4) and completion percentage (.535)."

The only positive, as far as I can tell, is that McDaniels is not Pagano. 

Lets pump the breaks here. 

Doyel's a salty little girl because his vehement prediction didn't even get an interview. Disregard whatever he says. 

Are we really gonna talk about the 2011 rams? 

Come on. 

But tell me this:

Have you learned anything in the last 5 years? Matured in any way? Changed the way you do things?

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Edison was not the one who invented the light bulb.

Before him there was Volta, Rue, Staite, Swan, Woodruff and Evans.

Edison actually got the second patent behind Swan who got a patent in England before Edison did in America.

Swan and Edison ended up joining together to form Edison-Swan United.

You just happened to make a statement that I know a lot about.

Thank you for enlightening us CC! 

As for the Doyle article, Cutler and Marshall not liking McDaniels is a plus in my book.

A 31 year old being given that much power? Of course he would be full of himself and not surprising he would fail. As things fell apart he probably convinced himself that he wasn't the problem, everyone else was the problem. That never goes well. 

Nine years is a lot of time for reflection and maturity. With failure being a great humbler, teacher and motivator, I'm willing to let him start with a clean slate with the Colts. Obviously, Ballard is too. 

2 hours ago, Narcosys said:

Which does not reassure me in the least. Wonder why it has taken him 9 years to become a HC again?

Because a) he has been very selective and refused to consider several openings in the past and b) he now feels the situation is right and his value as high as it can possibly be before Brady and Belichick hang it up.

I also think not having GM duties takes the pressure off and helps his image rebuild, letting folks know he is fine to not have control over the entire roster and willing to work with a GM. 

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

Crazy how one day makes such a difference.

Yesterday people were losing their minds over the possibility of McD going to the Titans. 

yeah but now you have the naysayers coming out.  Happens during the draft and FA too.  Can't please everyone, especially these days.

39 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Couple of things here.  

1. This isn't a comparison between the other candidates.  If you want to know what my preference was I wanted Shurmur or Toub but my guys weren't even considered. And the reason I wanted them is because frankly Toub has a resume that can compare with Mcdaniels without red flags and tons of deep connections within the NFL. And Shurmur seems to be an exceptional offensive mind like Mcdaniels but without the experience but also no red flags. 

2. I was actually a Chuck supporter.  He had faults but he also did right, where alot of coaches get wrong.  Plus he had a valuable trait in teaching DBs.   His downfall was his inability to get a staff that masked his weaknesses and a somewhat dated philosophy on football. 

3.  In regards to your first statement. Yes I imagine we will have a scandal of some sort soon. His biggest issue in Denver for me wasn't his personality issues (fixable) nor his Xs and Os (outstanding) it was that he was connected to illegal video taping there and he wasn't even there 2 years to settle in.  I just think it's amusing how this forum has been holier than thou for the past 10 years (think back to Walden and his headbuts or the constant deflate gate b.s. and etc.) And now all of a sudden we gloss over the one guy who's been either directly (once) or indirectly (too many to count) involved with scandals of the past 10 years. 

Like I said I have some excitement because I know the guy can coach but he is a far cry from Dungy. And that was one of the few things about Dungy I liked was that he valued the game.  I'll say this though I'm more impressed with Ballard here in his preparation of this moment. Truly impressive. 

Well, then it should console you that St. Dungy was approached by McDaniels regarding how to remedy his flaws, professionaly and personally, and that afterwards, McDaniels comes highly recommended by St. Dungy

8 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Well, then it should console you that St. Dungy was approached by McDaniels regarding how to remedy his flaws, professionaly and personally, and that afterwards, McDaniels comes highly recommended by St. Dungy

Please do me a favor and ignore my posts if you can't understand the concepts I'm conveying.  Or don't, that's your prerogative but at the very least can you address me as St. Surge when you do? I'd very much appreciate it. 

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

It was a lazy column. Obviously, McDaniels crashed and burned as Broncos HC but that was a long time ago. It's certainly something to keep in mind but that's Doyle's only argument. I told him as much on Twitter and his responses to people asking who the Colts should have hired instead and he said multiple times, "anyone else." That's just lazy.

It seems to me like the majority of the young posters are ok with McDaniels on here, and the majority of older posters are against him. Seems like a generational gap thing where the older people here have a closed mind toward him, like they are trying to find any excuse not to like him as the new HC. Mostly because he was a Pat and they are taking it way too far, even not liking our new HC over it. Whomever doesn't like it because of him being a Pat or them cheating, get over it, and whomever doesn't like him because of "supposed" cheating by him, get over that too. We should be proud to have a coach who fixed his flaws on the best team in the NFL behind the greatest coach in history, and now he wants anything to do with us. Get over his age, get over his failures at 30 years old, and get over the fact that he was a former Patriot. 

Was listening to the Stampede Blue Podcast and they made an interesting point......

Say what you like about Jim Irsay, but in the last two years he has managed to get the strongest GM candidate available to the Colts, and the strongest coaching candidate (on paper) available to Indy, even with the roster in the shape it is.

I'm not a mcdaniels fan either. But it is what it is. I could say "if we hire mcdaniels Andrew Luck will never go to a super bowl" Then who's fault will it be if Luck never goes? Will people still be bashing Grigson and Pagano 10 years from now? Will people destroy mcdaniels? Ballard? Drew Brees has made the playoffs 7 times in his career, Does that mean the front office and owner in N.O. have "wasted" his career like some people on here have stated Pagano has wasted Lucks career? The politics of the nfl create strange bedfellows.

1 minute ago, DaveA1102 said:

Was listening to the Stampede Blue Podcast and they made an interesting point......

Say what you like about Jim Irsay, but in the last two years he has managed to get the strongest GM candidate available to the Colts, and the strongest coaching candidate (on paper) available to Indy, even with the roster in the shape it is.

Agree with this. Not a big Irsay fan, but he has gotten the exact two people I want at GM and HC for the forseeable future. I would of lived or died by this combo as well if I were in charge. Lets see how it ends up and I'll give Irsay his props.

1 minute ago, Two_pound said:

I'm not a mcdaniels fan either. But it is what it is. I could say "if we hire mcdaniels Andrew Luck will never go to a super bowl" Then who's fault will it be if Luck never goes? Will people still be bashing Grigson and Pagano 10 years from now? Will people destroy mcdaniels? Ballard? Drew Brees has made the playoffs 7 times in his career, Does that mean the front office and owner in N.O. have "wasted" his career like some people on here have stated Pagano has wasted Lucks career? The politics of the nfl create strange bedfellows.

Yes.  

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I. Seems like a generational gap thing where the older people here have a closed mind toward him, like they are trying to find any excuse not to like him as the new HC.  

And how exactly do you know everyone’s age? 

2 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

Brees has probably underperformed slightly in his NFL career as far as playoffs and SB's go. He is a HOFer more than likely when he retires. I expected two SB victories from him. However, Luck had all the hype in the world. He was touted as the next John Elway, and has never reached that potential due to a number of factors (Grigson and Pagano included). So I think it'd be disappointing if he never even reached a SB for us and then he'd be considered a bust based on hype. McDaniels is the best choice to get him to that level IMO, and why I've always been so adamant on getting him as our coach. I just want a SB for Luck before he has to retire, and it may be at an earlier age than we all think, due to the amount of punishment he's taken already.