Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

REPORT: Colts expected to hire McDaniels as HC, per NFL.com

Superman

• Replies 861
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

Now let's hope some crazy story does not emerge out of NE, that Bill Belichick is to retire and McDaniels will replace him.

Take over for a legend, while inheriting a 40+ year old quarterback? That would be a horrible career move.

6 minutes ago, DraftMaster said:

IDK, all that's left are crumbs for Tenn. when everybody else hires their HC...

That's why I said it was rather risky and dumb if them to fire him at this stage. It's like showing up to speed dating 30 minutes late, you've done missed half the candidates 

9 minutes ago, masnerj said:

MAN OH MAN I AM EXCITED.......

Now with the emotions out of the way (emotions built up after 5+ years of Pagano...), lets get down to my thoughts on the serious stuff:

Offense (LIT):

Offensive Coordinator: Jake Peetz - great young up and comer who has worked with a bunch of good coaches from an early age (Saban, Gruden, Chow <- one of the best QB coaches of all time). Won't get poached away anytime soon and McDaniels can mold him in any way he pleases as he won't have the main play-calling duties anyways. Excited to see how he can work closely with Luck as well. He worked with Carr. 

Play-caller: McDaniels, offensive % is about to be lit in Indy starting next year assuming Luck comes back healthy. Expect short passing, screens, "taking what the defense gives you," "hit them deep with TY once the defense gets tired of giving up 5-10 yards every play." Should help cover up our OLine's deficiencies and help Luck stay upright and healthy and maybe even prolong his career.

Defense (We'll have to see):

Defensive Coordinator: "Coach Flus" from Dallas - considered one of the up and coming coaching talents on the defensive side of the ball. Enough to be considered one of the most priority "free-agents" for dallas considering his contract expires after the Super Bowl. If, as expected, we land him, then expect a good defensive coach who has lots of experience working with linebackers (think Sean Lee). You can bet your butt that there is going to be a complete overhaul of our linebacker corp this offseason. No more of the 2 down thumpers, I think we'll see movement in free agency for a veteran plus one top guy in the draft to mold. Likely switch to 4-3 defense means less middle linebackers to worry about. Sheard fits in well at one of the defensive end spots and Simon is athletic enough to play WLB in a 4-3. Draft Chubb and you got a natural 4-3 DE at the other end. Hankins is already a good fit for the 4-3 and Woods is probably good enough to fit in as well. Build from the trenches and develop our young secondary.

Future is optimistic fellas. Last thing on the menu? Getting luck back healthy. Hopefully in 10 years we can look back and see this as one of the most pivotal off-seasons in our franchise's history. #InBallardWeTrust #BDB #TrustTheBinder #BuildTheRealMonster.

What the heck is "LIT"?

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I figured it was some offensive scheme or something like west coast, just an acronym for something I hadn't heard of.  

It's called getting older and not knowing wth people are talking about..lol.

I joke....

18 minutes ago, masnerj said:

MAN OH MAN I AM EXCITED.......

Now with the emotions out of the way (emotions built up after 5+ years of Pagano...), lets get down to my thoughts on the serious stuff:

Offense (LIT):

Offensive Coordinator: Jake Peetz - great young up and comer who has worked with a bunch of good coaches from an early age (Saban, Gruden, Chow <- one of the best QB coaches of all time). Won't get poached away anytime soon and McDaniels can mold him in any way he pleases as he won't have the main play-calling duties anyways. Excited to see how he can work closely with Luck as well. He worked with Carr. 

Play-caller: McDaniels, offensive % is about to be lit in Indy starting next year assuming Luck comes back healthy. Expect short passing, screens, "taking what the defense gives you," "hit them deep with TY once the defense gets tired of giving up 5-10 yards every play." Should help cover up our OLine's deficiencies and help Luck stay upright and healthy and maybe even prolong his career.

Defense (We'll have to see):

Defensive Coordinator: "Coach Flus" from Dallas - considered one of the up and coming coaching talents on the defensive side of the ball. Enough to be considered one of the most priority "free-agents" for dallas considering his contract expires after the Super Bowl. If, as expected, we land him, then expect a good defensive coach who has lots of experience working with linebackers (think Sean Lee). You can bet your butt that there is going to be a complete overhaul of our linebacker corp this offseason. No more of the 2 down thumpers, I think we'll see movement in free agency for a veteran plus one top guy in the draft to mold. Likely switch to 4-3 defense means less middle linebackers to worry about. Sheard fits in well at one of the defensive end spots and Simon is athletic enough to play WLB in a 4-3. Draft Chubb and you got a natural 4-3 DE at the other end. Hankins is already a good fit for the 4-3 and Woods is probably good enough to fit in as well. Build from the trenches and develop our young secondary.

Future is optimistic fellas. Last thing on the menu? Getting luck back healthy. Hopefully in 10 years we can look back and see this as one of the most pivotal off-seasons in our franchise's history. #InBallardWeTrust #BDB #TrustTheBinder #BuildTheRealMonster.

This is the biggest reason I wanted McDaniels. The defense is still very much a work in progress, and will probably require another season or 2 of re-tooling before it becomes a formidable unit. If the Colts want to be competitive in the meantime, the offense will need to score a lot of points and be much more efficient than what they've been in year's past. Not sure there's a better guy for that job than McDaniels right now.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

This is the biggest reason I wanted McDaniels. The defense is still very much a work in progress, and will probably require another season or 2 of re-tooling before it becomes a formidable unit. If the Colts want to be competitive in the meantime, the offense will need to score a lot of points and be much more efficient than what they've been in year's past. Not sure there's a better guy for that job than McDaniels right now.

Kind of like McVay and the Rams. Phillips worked on the defense and McVay helped on the offense, without having to worry about the D.

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

It would be nice if he could bring DeMarcus Lawrence with him while he's at it.

I would much rather sign Lawrence in FA and use the 3rd overall pick as trade bait to get as much as you can, then with the trade down get Quenton Nelson.

1 hour ago, Nesjan3 said:

Ill wait till its official to fully believe anything i hear, i dont understand why the Titans would say Mularky is staying and than fire him a couple days later, they had to have some interest in Mcdaniels and some hope of getting him.

Yeah, why would you fire a coach who just gave you a playoff win? 

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I would much rather sign Lawrence in FA and use the 3rd overall pick as trade bait to get as much as you can, then with the trade down get Quenton Nelson.

I doubt Cowboys let Lawrence walk. Not sure how much cap space they have, but can they tag him? Cowboys would be dumb to let him walk.

3 minutes ago, IinD said:

It's called getting older and not knowing wth people are talking about..lol.

I joke....

I made my peace with that once I hit 30.  I decided I was okay with being to old to care about trying to figure out the meaning of words when they were used to mean something other than their actual meaning.  Of course, when it comes to football, I will barely make a little more effort.

5 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's probably why they wanted an offensive coach. 

3 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Enough to tag him or re-sign him.

They should tag him, I think it'd be a poor business decision not to.  He had a ton of sacks this year, but its not like he was a beacon of consistency either.  You don't want to let a premier pass rusher to hit the market, so tagging him is the most sensible option to get a sense of whether 2017 was a fluke or he really had a giant progression

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

They should tag him, I think it'd be a poor business decision not to.  He had a ton of sacks this year, but its not like he was a beacon of consistency either.  You don't want to let a premier pass rusher to hit the market, so tagging him is the most sensible option to get a sense of whether 2017 was a fluke or he really had a giant progression

Agreed, and I expect them to tag him.