Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Anyone else think Colts aren't as far away as everyone believes?

IndyScribe

Does anyone else believe the Colts are only a few years away? This season, with a heavily-injured team, and missing Luck, the Colts played a lot of close game and ultimately blew it. If Luck had been playing, or the Colts had a better coach, the Colts would have made the playoffs. I think, with a better coach, and good players from draft/free agency, the Colts can turn it around and are only a few years away. Now, obviously, this depends on the health of Luck. If Luck is healthy, I believe the Colts are only 2-3 years away. Defense is young but showed flashes and will mature. Offense will get much better with Luck back in. The main thing is to get a competent HC and add good pieces to the team.

4 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Does anyone else believe the Colts are only a few years away? This season, with a heavily-injured team, and missing Luck, the Colts played a lot of close game and ultimately blew it. If Luck had been playing, or the Colts had a better team, the Colts would have made the playoffs. I think, with a better coach, and good players from draft/free agency, the Colts can turn it around and are only a few years away. Now, obviously, this depends on the health of Luck. If Luck is healthy, I believe the Colts are only 2-3 years away. Defense is young but showed flashes and will mature. Offense will get much better with Luck back in. The main thing is to get a competent HC and add good pieces to the team.

Yes, if the Colts had a better team they absolutely would have made the playoffs.

The Colts are 2-3 good off-seasons (Draft and FA) from being an elite NFL team. The OL needs 3 starters, regardless of what scheme we run, aside from Hankins, we need players on the DL, our WR core is depleted, our LB situation is as bad as the Raiders, and the secondary is a work in progress. All of that will take time to fix and will require Ballard to not miss on early round picks and find more Nate Hairston’s. If not this is a 3-5 year project.

Injuries and questionable 2nd half coaching cost us games... but we are what it says we are. A 4-12 team with the 3rd overall pick. Im fine with that. A new and hopefully improved coaching staff and a good free agency and draft we will bounce back. It'll take a few seasons to be a legit superbowl caliber team imo.

The thing that’s always made the Colts roll is their offense. Once Luck returns, which I have no reason to believe he will not, we are once again playoff contenders. We have better players than we did 1 and even 2 years ago. If the trend continues, we could see a quick turnaround in 2018. 

You guys understand we choked 5 games due to poor coaching and the defense being gassed due to the offense going 3 and out all 2nd half this team easily could have been a 6 to 8 win team with a terrible coaching staff without luck and our first round pick missing half the season with a rough offensive line it is a blessing we lost all those games now we get a fresh start and a high draft pick with a ton of cap space if we plug up some holes and get luck back with some better coordinators we are going to compete once again like we did lucks first 3 years stay positive 

Far away from what? 

The Colts aren't far away from being a playoff team, IMO. Assuming we have better coaching, better QBing (assuming Luck is back), and the roster is less injury plagued and a little more complete in 2018, I think we have the makings of a 10 win team.

If you're looking at how far away they are from being able to go deep in the playoffs and contend for a SB, that's a little harder to predict. Let's assume we draft well, sign good FAs, and the coaching staff develops players and deploys them well, then I think we could be a top AFC team in two seasons. 

The biggest questions are regarding the coaching staff and the QB, obviously. If either or both of those questions don't have positive answers, then there's no telling.

13 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

You guys understand we choked 5 games due to poor coaching and the defense being gassed

That's overly simplistic, IMO. Those games were within reach, but I think we lost most of them because we weren't good enough to win them. We were playing better teams, with better rosters, better QBing, better defenses, better coaching. Even though we were close in a lot of games, our record is a reflection of the quality of the team, top to bottom. 

I do agree that we're not that far, especially if this offseason goes well, but don't let the fact that we played a bunch of close games fool you into thinking that we were better than we really were. 

It all depends on Andrew Luck. If he comes back healthy, (unfortunately, I have my doubts)  then we have a chance at the playoffs and then who knows.

Otherwise, we are the Texans or the Jags -- a team that will be at the bottom of the league for many years until the accumulation of high draft picks net us a winning roster. If Luck does not return, then consider this as year 1 of that cycle.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

That's overly simplistic, IMO. Those games were within reach, but I think we lost most of them because we weren't good enough to win them. We were playing better teams, with better rosters, better QBing, better defenses, better coaching. Even though we were close in a lot of games, our record is a reflection of the quality of the team, top to bottom. 

I do agree that we're not that far, especially if this offseason goes well, but don't let the fact that we played a bunch of close games fool you into thinking that we were better than we really were. 

less than 24hrs and you liked and quoted me sheeesh I'm officially upgraded to Hall of Fame on the forum :headspin: but yeah I agree with you on the point that our record reflects the team but I also believe we were good enough to play teams close but are missing some pieces to help us close games and AL is one of those pieces and I can not wait to not run it up the middle for 1 yard every first down 

6 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

less than 24hrs and you liked and quoted me sheeesh I'm officially upgraded to Hall of Fame on the forum :headspin: but yeah I agree with you on the point that our record reflects the team but I also believe we were good enough to play teams close but are missing some pieces to help us close games and AL is one of those pieces and I can not wait to not run it up the middle for 1 yard every first down 

LOL, that's hilarious. 

As for the 'missing pieces' part, that's exactly what I meant. I don't think it's hard to put those pieces into place, assuming Luck is ready to go, but let's see how this all shakes out. 

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

LOL, that's hilarious. 

As for the 'missing pieces' part, that's exactly what I meant. I don't think it's hard to put those pieces into place, assuming Luck is ready to go, but let's see how this all shakes out. 

agreed. we only have to wait 9 more months yaay 

Sheesh. I've had enough likes from Superman to entitle me to the Freedom of the Forum. And a Moderator. But I can't spel, I don't understand the rules of the game, I call it American Football, not Football, I'm Scottish and I still don't know what the MIKE is, so that rules me out. And I've been banned a few times for wrestling with some members. How naughty.

And I do believe Superman gets thrilled when I like one of his posts, but whisper that..... 

On topic, I agree we are not far away IF we get lucky and land great coaching staff, nail the draft, and get Luck back to his (protected) best.

I don't think you can really measure in the NFL by years.  I think moreso by transactions and player development.  The Colts could realistically make the Superbowl next year with the right mix of both or they could take 5 years to make the playoffs.  It's all about moves and development.  No team in the NFL is a definitive number of years away.  It's all about manuevering.  I mean look at the rise of the Seahawks or 49ers a few years ago or possibly 49ers next year or the fall of teams like the Cardinals or aforementioned Seahawks again.

15 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Sheesh. I've had enough likes from Superman to entitle me to the Freedom of the Forum. And a Moderator. But I can't spel, I don't understand the rules of the game, I call it American Football, not Football, I'm Scottish and I still don't know what the MIKE is, so that rules me out. And I've been banned a few times for wrestling with some members. How naughty.

And I do believe Superman gets thrilled when I like one of his posts, but whisper that..... 

On topic, I agree we are not far away IF we get lucky and land great coaching staff, nail the draft, and get Luck back to his (protected) best.

I have gotten 2 likes and a quote in 24 hours I think I'm gonna go buy a lottery ticket 

If we land Mcdaniels and he brings his move the chains West Coast Offense

then that will solve a lot of the problems on this team.

The O line may be a piece or two away instead of three or four without holding

onto the ball for 5 seconds, the defense will be more refreshed while on the

sideline because 3 and outs kill defenses legs.

The big questions are if Ballard wants to go to a 4-3 defense because personell

will need to be changed a little and the health of Luck is the biggest issue.

The way this board is headed by next Thanksgiving we will want to fire Ballard and the new coach because we finish 8-8......STOP PINING for the playoffs .........STOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...We will get there in 2019......Not before !!!!!!!......Everyone on this board will raise the bar real high in 2018 and want everyone fired because we do not reach that level.......STOP !!!!!!!!!!!.....We can't hire new coaches and GM's every year.....Year in year out !.....What this franchise and fan base needs now is patience !!!!!!!!!!!That what I am hoping for.......Patience.....From this fan base tho I have my real doubts .

Just now, HOF19 said:

The way this board is headed by next Thanksgiving we will want to fire Ballard and the new coach because we finish 8-8......STOP PINING for the playoffs .........STOP !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...We will get there in 2019......Not before !!!!!!!......Everyone on this board will raise the bar real high in 2018 and want everyone fired because we do not reach that level.......STOP !!!!!!!!!!!.....We can't hire new coaches and GM's every year.....Year in year out !.....What this franchise and fan base needs now is patience !!!!!!!!!!!That what I am hoping for.......Patience.....From this fan base tho I have my real doubts .

your keyboard deserves an apology for smashing the period and exclamation key also just take a breath

3 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

your keyboard deserves an apology for smashing the period and exclamation key also just take a breath

I just want the phrase fire the coach and fire the GM banned on this board for all of 2018 . And yes no one want to go into season with no playoff hopes ....I get it .

1 minute ago, HOF19 said:

I just want the phrase fire the coach and fire the GM banned on this board for all of 2018 .

well lets get a coach first and most people that only complain usually are not worth listening too not meaning you but the people you are referring too

The Colts finished #31 in total offense and #30 in total defense, (#30 in points scored and #30 in points allowed).  There is quite a ways to go, hence the impending coaching hire and possibly another churning of the roster.

Again, things will look much better if Luck returns healthy.

1 minute ago, Flash7 said:

The Colts finished #31 in total offense and #30 in total defense, (#30 in points scored and #30 in points allowed).  There is quite a ways to go, hence the impending coaching hire and possibly another churning of the roster.

If we had the exact roster on offense this year with a healthy luck zero chance we are 30th in offense and our defense play better than what stats show the breakdowns in the 2nd half play a big part in why they are ranked so low and the offense never played their part either 

2 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:

If we had the exact roster on offense this year with a healthy luck zero chance we are 30th in offense and our defense play better than what stats show the breakdowns in the 2nd half play a big part in why they are ranked so low and the offense never played their part either 

Luck makes all the difference in the world.....agreed.

The breakdowns in the second half can be attributed to the defense first and foremost. Secondly, you can attribute a little to the offensive struggles. You don't see good defenses like the Broncos or Jags stumble at the end of games despite their poor offenses. Good defenses are "good defenses" because they can withstand their offenses' struggles, and most importantly, because they can get themselves off of the field. They make plays and force 3-and-outs, something the Colts were not able to do at all consistently - hence their #31 ranked defense.

3 minutes ago, lance_m8 said:
6 minutes ago, Flash7 said:

Agree with you here lance, we were bottom 3rd of the league in average time of possession, which led to an exhausted bottom 1/3 of the league defense.

Why the Colts might be very good next year:

1) Healthy Luck

2) Promising young players and solid veterans on both sides of the ball who are under contract.

3) High draft position

4) A ton of cap money to sign several very good young veterans.

5) A new offense with a new play caller

These five things (in my opinion) will make the Colts a good team next year.

However, the AFC south is quietly becoming one of the best divisions in the NFL. If the Colts and Texans get their starting QB's back, it may well be the best division in the league. So, the days of the Colts penciling in 6 wins at the beginning of the season are pretty much over. 

59 minutes ago, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-Hoosiers said:

Agree with you here lance, we were bottom 3rd of the league in average time of possession, which led to an exhausted bottom 1/3 of the league defense.

Key to a good defense is to have them on the field as little as possible we didn't do that I put a good amount of our defenses collapses on the offense failing to stay on the field

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

No team is that far away.  But...if the Titans can score a good coach, the afc south is shaping up to very tough.

im just looking forward to a well coached football team and havng hope for the future.....again.

Having those 6 automatic wins isn't there anymore. The Colts have to finally become an all around better team. 

That's been a long time coming honestly.

3 hours ago, egg said:

Why the Colts might be very good next year:

1) Healthy Luck

2) Promising young players and solid veterans on both sides of the ball who are under contract.

3) High draft position

4) A ton of cap money to sign several very good young veterans.

5) A new offense with a new play caller

These five things (in my opinion) will make the Colts a good team next year.

However, the AFC south is quietly becoming one of the best divisions in the NFL. If the Colts and Texans get their nd starting QB's back, it may well be the best division in the league. So, the days of the Colts penciling in 6 wins at the beginning of the season are pretty much over. 

And don't forget our much improved o-line, veteran running backs, and our good route running receivers, and those top notch pass defending Lb'ers, and our kick ___ pass rush, and those healthy, reliable safeties.
 We are definitely sooo close.   :cheer:

The difference between a good team and a bad team is just a hand full of players.

Every season a couple of teams go from being bad to being pretty good just by adding a few players.

I wouldn't expect our team to be super bowl caliber next season but I do expect them to be much improved.

I say one more draft and the new coaches getting used to working together will be the key to building a winning team.

Ballard has to hit in these next two drafts and sign at least two free agents that can bring the attitude needed.

edit, wrong thread

on topic, its kind of hard to predict our record next year and what not

the division is looking good now, atm we have the worst roster and its not close.  going to be an important offseason to say the least 

4 hours ago, egg said:

However, the AFC south is quietly becoming one of the best divisions in the NFL. If the Colts and Texans get their starting QB's back, it may well be the best division in the league. So, the days of the Colts penciling in 6 wins at the beginning of the season are pretty much over. 

I don't believe in the Jaguars yet. They're the real deal right now, for sure, but I wonder if they'll be able to sustain this level of play, especially if they keep Bortles. But even aside from him, Calais Campbell is their defensive MVP, and he's 31 and playing out of his mind this year. That won't last. Malik Jackson had a career best year, but could come back down to earth. They still have a lot of young talent, but I'm still skeptical of them.

7 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

Does anyone else believe the Colts are only a few years away? This season, with a heavily-injured team, and missing Luck, the Colts played a lot of close game and ultimately blew it. If Luck had been playing, or the Colts had a better coach, the Colts would have made the playoffs. I think, with a better coach, and good players from draft/free agency, the Colts can turn it around and are only a few years away. Now, obviously, this depends on the health of Luck. If Luck is healthy, I believe the Colts are only 2-3 years away. Defense is young but showed flashes and will mature. Offense will get much better with Luck back in. The main thing is to get a competent HC and add good pieces to the team.

Andrew Luck is one big question mark until he isn't.

Which means we have two, maybe three difference makers on offense.    Hilton, AC,  and Kelly.     That's it for that side of the ball.

On defense we have one real difference maker, maybe two.    Hooker, who got hurt, and Hankins who had a nice, but not spectacular season.

Successful teams have between 8-12 difference makers, play makers that they rely heavily on.

The Colts aren't close to those kind of players.   It will take some time to acquire the kind of talent that we need.   What we currently have are some nice complimentary pieces.   Now we need play makers.