Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pagano thank you to Indy

PeterBowman

Just hang out with your grand kids, coach Pagano, you got the money in the bank. :thmup: Step away from the daily stress and enjoy your time off.

Thanks for what you did during those initial years to give the Colts fans hope that we could contend, and your fight against cancer that gave millions hope off the field!!!

Good luck to you, whatever you choose to do!!! :) 

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

replace Aikman with Luck and I think you get my drift lol. Sorry, can't help myself.

Troy was really upset, I got the video to play after you readjusted it. If Luck ever went off like that, I think people would be speechless. It would just be funny because of Luck's personality. I think that was towards the end of Troy's career and Dallas was bad. He's probably fed up at that point.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Troy was really upset, I got the video to play after you readjusted it. If Luck ever went off like that, I think people would be speechless. It would just be funny because of Luck's personality. I think that was towards the end of Troy's career and Dallas was bad. He's probably fed up at that point.

If you watch the Football Life of Aikman, he makes it clear from the beginning he didn't like Switzer's soft approach.

6 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

A head coach does not need to be a hard * to be successful. Besides, you don't have a clue how he handled players behind closed doors.

Dungy was a very successful head coach and he was never considered hard *.

I never said he had to be a hardass. I don't have clue, but guys like Rick Venturi and joe stayniak might...and they have watched practice and have come away questioning his approach.  Throw in reports from last yr about players believing they needed to be coached harder and chuck's happy to be here personality,  I tend to believe it.  

And yes, I know you disagree 

53 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I never said he had to be a hardass. I don't have clue, but guys like Rick Venturi and joe stayniak might...and they have watched practice and have come away questioning his approach.  Throw in reports from last yr about players believing they needed to be coached harder and chuck's happy to be here personality,  I tend to believe it.  

And yes, I know you disagree 

Note:: Take a look at Rick Venturi and Joe Stayniak's coaching records and then tell me what they know about coaching.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Note:: Take a look at Rick Venturi and Joe Stayniak's coaching records and then tell me what they know about coaching.

Epic logic fail.

To the point of the thread, nothing but class from Pagano.  Not surprised at all.

First class guy. I was never concerned with how he approached his players and motivated them. We always played hard and never gave up. It always came down to game planning and adjustments and in game decisions. If we would have given him better talent his job might have been easier and it might have covered up some of his weaknesses. It was time to make a change but I am thankful he always represented himself and the Colts in a stand up manner. Good luck Chuck!

55 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Can we not turn this into a personal squabble please, regardless of your views in Paganon as a coach, the sentiment of this gesture should be acknowledged. 

Exactly.  Some people just have to get that last dig in, but it's best to just ignore the ignorant.

I was lucky enough to meet Chuck and Chud at the practice field.  They were both extremely cordial and just regular guys.  It was obviously time to make a change, but I don't know if we'll ever have another coach that the players loved as much.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Tell me...

If you're so convinced Pagano was soft as the HC,  where was that soft approach on Quincy Wilson?

I think this was more Manachino and I think it was stubbornness on his part. I wish Chuck would have intervened. It may hurt the Colts in the long run as he basically missed a large part of his rookie year.

Honestly one of the best individuals to ever work with this franchise. 

He's an incredible leader of men. Some of the less intelligent around here were running around early in the season spouting off that he had finally lost the locker room. 

He never even came close to losing it. 

It just didnt translate on the field, and that's unfortunate. He's the kind that deserves the success. 

Love Chuck... I really wish it could have worked. 

I was at the game (against Buffalo) in Indy where he showed up at LOS before returning to the sidelines after Leukemia treatment. Crowd went wild.

I was proud to be a Colts fan that day. 

I'll almost miss the cliche-fillled interviews...  it'd be nice to get back to winning, though. 

Good luck Chuck. 

The other day I was reading the Wikipedia page on Bum Phillps.  Quoted him as saying "There's two kinds of coaches, them that's fired and them that's gonna be fired."

So while I don't think Chuck Pagano was ever the man to lead the Colts to the Superbowl, I also have to say.  No shame in that.  It ends this way for like 98% of head coaches out there.  

He was a class act, a good man and I wish him all the best.  To watch how the city, state and fans rallied around him during his medical battle was inspiring.  I was at the game when one of the cheerleaders had her head shaved to show her support.

I am also disgusted by those on here that had to make this "positive" post into yet another one filled with negative comments.  Chuck Pagano beat cancer and couldn't wait to come back and coach this team.  His appreciation of the fans, city and organization shows how much class he has.  He didn't have to post that letter, but he did.  I couldn't believe the first comment on Twitter that showed up below the post was someone bashing him.

I hope that if I'm ever faced with cancer, that I can have half as much courage and fight in me.  Yes, I was critical of his coaching decisions sometimes, but I never insulted the man or his character.  I knew he was trying his best, and in the end that wasn't enough to keep his job.  But, he still has his integrity, his family and his faith...that's all that really matters.