Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Offseason Mock 2.0

Attempt #2.

Players re-signed/signed/drafted in bold if you don't want to read all of it.

Coaches:

HC: Josh McDaniels

OC: John DeFilippo

DC: Kris Richard 

ST: Dave Toub (Just for fun, might as well throw his name in here)

Projected Cap Space: 85 million

Re-Signees:

Barkevious Mingo 2 years 4 million - 

Rashaan Melvin 2 years 17 million - Had a great year, but he's not the guy to build a secondary around. Love to have him for 2 more years though.

Adam Vinatieri 2 years 4.5 million - Still one of the best, if not the best in the league

Jack Mewhort 1 year 3.5 million - A prove it year, if he stays healthy and plays well, he can expect a big payraise in 2019

Pierre Desir 2 years 3.5 million - Solid, but not spectacular, had a few ups, great depth for us at CB

Mike Person 1 year 860k - Had a few great games for a backup

We should have around 74 million after re-signings.

That's a lot of cash to be thrown at some big names in free agency.

Free Agency 2018:

(Assuming these players don't get tagged, or re-sign with their team)

Kirk Cousins QB 6 years 90m

Just kidding. Moving along.

Paul Richardson WR 2 years for 18m

Jarvis Landry WR 3 years 50m

I think Jarvis is most likely to get tagged, but adding these 2 would solidify our WR corps and we wouldn't have to worry about it in the draft.

Richardson is severely underrated and a great target for Luck, and Hilton alongside Landry would have defenses worried about being burned by either one.

Cameron Brate TE 2 years 9m

We seem to like to run 2 TE sets a lot, ala Fleener/Allen

Adding him could recreate that, good player behind Doyle

Andrew Norwell OG 5 years 60m

Pay big bucks to get a big star at G. Norwell is fantastic.

DeMarcus Lawrence DE 3 years 40m

Bring on the Barkley/Luck backfield. Signing him allows us to get a great pass rusher, while also letting us draft Barkley at 3 instead of Chubb.

Lamarcus Joyner DB 1 year 8m

Had a solid season, can help the secondary

Preston Brown ILB 3 years 24m

Very underrated LB, hopefully we can snatch him to improve at one of our most glaring needs

After this, our cap space would be around 20m (may be wrong)

2018 Draft:

R1. Saquon Barkley RB Penn State

I think this is the obvious pick for us anyways but:

Barkley is explosive, draws comparisons to Adrian Peterson and David Johnson.

Will take a lot of off Luck's shoulder and opposing defenses will know that we won't be a pass every down team w/Luck anymore

R2. Chukwuma Okorafor OT Western Michigan

Solidifies our OL, can plug at RT

R3. Marcus Davenport DE UTSA 

He's gonna climb boards come the combine, round 3 may be too late for him, but this kid can play

R4. Christian Miller LB Alabama

R5. Olasunkanmi Adeniyi DE Toledo

R6. Mike Hughes CB UCF

R7. BPA

OK - there are always entertaining but rarely if ever right. That belief holds true here as well.

One thing I don't understand, if you are going to go through the exercise of predicting player AND salary estimates for free agents, why not spend some time and actually understand the range for players at certain positions.  

For instance, DeMarcus Lawrence.  First off premier pass rushers don't make it to free agency.  I suspect that will hold true for Lawrence as well.  But if we pretend that he does become a free agent, there is literally no way under the sun that it will be for the measly 3 year / $35 million you project here.  A infinitely more likely contract will be for around $80+ million, spread out over 6 years, with a guarantees in the $45 million dollar range.

Crap. I don’t understand how anyone who has watched Colts formpast 4 years can not grasp that offensive line and protecting the quarterback paramount.  One free agent and one rookie draft pick?  A running back when your franchise quarterback and his backup get smashed and pummeled every Sunday?  

You coukd have Walter Payton and Barry Sanders but behind this line they will look average. This is a QB driven league and Colts can not keep their QB upright.

Common Sense is lost with Joe Fan 

16 minutes ago, D-lineman said:

Crap. I don’t understand how anyone who has watched Colts formpast 4 years can not grasp that offensive line and protecting the quarterback paramount.  One free agent and one rookie draft pick?  A running back when your franchise quarterback and his backup get smashed and pummeled every Sunday?  

You coukd have Walter Payton and Barry Sanders but behind this line they will look average. This is a QB driven league and Colts can not keep their QB upright.

Well, I'm assuming he's hoping Mewhort can bounce back and then the Colts would come into the season with Costanzo, Mewhort, Kelly, Norwell, and Okorafor as the starting offensive line. If Mewhort is able to stay healthy, then that would be a promising line.

If we as fans have learned anything....and I mean ANYTHING...we have learned that there will be multiple injuries every year on the offensive line......Look at the C position alone this year, We started with Ryan Kelly, then Deshawn Bond and finished with the street walker Mike Person....we need multiple FA-OL AND draft at least 1 in the mid rounds.....5 solid starters and 2-3 reliable versatile back ups.........IF everyone stayed healthy this year we would have had a decent line with 4 of 5 good starters, but we were one guy short of a solid 5 and suffered 3 injuries leaving us to finish with 1-2 good guys and 3 street walkers (essentially) We need talent AND depth on the O-line.....I don't want to use our 1st or 2nd rounder on O-line we have too many other needs at talent positions for that, so I want to see those players acquired in FA....that's my perfect world scenario

1 hour ago, crunked said:

If we as fans have learned anything....and I mean ANYTHING...we have learned that there will be multiple injuries every year on the offensive line......Look at the C position alone this year, We started with Ryan Kelly, then Deshawn Bond and finished with the street walker Mike Person....we need multiple FA-OL AND draft at least 1 in the mid rounds.....5 solid starters and 2-3 reliable versatile back ups.........IF everyone stayed healthy this year we would have had a decent line with 4 of 5 good starters, but we were one guy short of a solid 5 and suffered 3 injuries leaving us to finish with 1-2 good guys and 3 street walkers (essentially) We need talent AND depth on the O-line.....I don't want to use our 1st or 2nd rounder on O-line we have too many other needs at talent positions for that, so I want to see those players acquired in FA....that's my perfect world scenario

Injuries are unfortunately a huge part of the game and every team goes through it. I really hope Chris Ballard becomes a little more aggressive when trying to bring in big name free agents (Especially on the O-Line) If he has to pay a little more in order to sign a guy we desperately need, then do it.

I would be cool with 2 legit starters in Free agency for the O-line hopefully one being a RT......if we can get 3 guys even better....and draft a guy somewhere in rounds 3-5.......this is if Mewhort doesn't have diminishing returns from his injury and can be re-signed........so in theory we would have a solid 5 and 3 solid back ups........and we roll from there with whatever the 2018 season brings.......draft skill positions at the top of the draft and we can all debate whether that's RB, OLB, ILB,S, WR or whatever.....but BPA skill guys

Colts fans think if you don’t have five All Pros and three Pro Bowl backups on your offensive line then your line sucks. Better play calling alone fixes half our issues. They weren’t great at run blocking, other than Castonzo, but that also could have been because of predictable run calls into a loaded box.

3 hours ago, crunked said:

I do agree with you about injuries and need for suitable back ups,however our starters on O-Line pedestrian at best 

1 hour ago, The Peytonator said:

Colts fans think if you don’t have five All Pros and three Pro Bowl backups on your offensive line then your line sucks. Better play calling alone fixes half our issues. They weren’t great at run blocking, other than Castonzo, but that also could have been because of predictable run calls into a loaded box.

For all the grief they got, much of it deserved, having a QB who can hit his check off helps. Having receivers run quick outs, and get open helps.  Not running the exact same play 90% of the time on first down helps.  

I still want FA upgades, but like you said, a lot of issues go away with better play calling and a smart QB.  

Oh boy... theres a lot that I find very unrealisitic here...

- Both Richardson and Landry are going to get much bigger deals than that. Also if we do all them with T.Y. we have legit 0 boundary WRs all smaller slot guys. Not ideal.

- Lawerence is unlikely to hit the market and if he does he'll get a MUCH bigger deal than that, something closer to 5-6 years at 16-18 per likely. Dude is all-pro caliber. 

- Joyner is in for a HUGE payday. He'll be one of the top paid safeties. Much more than 2/8 more like 4/40. We also don't have a need at safety with Hooker/Gaethers. He's not a fit. 

- Davenport will be gone by the early-mid 2nd round. No way he's there in the 3rd he's more likely to be a 1st rd pick then a 3rd. 

I'd love to get D-Lawrence. But no way Dallas lets him go, and if they do. You got him severely under paid. Joyner is pretty under paid too, and we don't have a need for him. We need a Malcolm Butler, Trumaine Johnson type.. And Paul Richardson should get more money than that. Then we don't need to waste the 3rd pick on a RB when we can get a guy literally just as good in the 2nd or 3rd RD. We need to sign Andrew Norwell, Josh Kline for the OL. Allen Robinson at WR, then Malcolm Butler and Avery Williamson on D. Draft Chubb, and a week 1 starting ILB and RB in RD's 2-3. Then a WR or DT in RD 4.

10 hours ago, D-lineman said:

You realize we have Castonzo/Mewhort/Kelly/Norwell/Okorafor on the OL?

If that's not formidable enough for you, you're looking for too much

3 hours ago, tvturner said:

You realize we have Castonzo/Mewhort/Kelly/Norwell/Okorafor on the OL?

If that's not formidable enough for you, you're looking for too much

Are you Daft? Do you even watch Football? Mewhort out all season and he missed significant time previous year. Love the guy but he likely is physically done with recurring knee issues.we don’t yet have Norwell or rookie Okorfor. Franchise QB out entire season, he has missed other season due to lacerated kidney. Jacoby repeatedly sacked this year. What is our offensive line ranked this year or last year?  Good God man 

20 minutes ago, D-lineman said:

Are you Daft? Do you even watch Football? Mewhort out all season and he missed significant time previous year. Love the guy but he likely is physically done with recurring knee issues.we don’t yet have Norwell or rookie Okorfor. Franchise QB out entire season, he has missed other season due to lacerated kidney. Jacoby repeatedly sacked this year. What is our offensive line ranked this year or last year?  Good God man 

We're not gonna be pulling All-Pro or Pro Bowl caliber lineman out of our *

Quit acting all high and mighty. You might be the daft one here. 

Defense wins ball games. Can't keep wasting picks on players who aren't gonna work out. More than one need on this team, you don't spend 85 million on OL and 7 picks on them just so you can have 5 solid starters and 5 great backups.

Jacoby holds onto the ball way too long anyways.

6 hours ago, D-lineman said:

You do realize that Luck's lacerated kidney injury happened on a play in which Luck was running down the field, slid, and got hit from behind by a Denver player.

That injury had NOTHING to do with our offensive line.

16 hours ago, The Peytonator said:

When Kelly was out this season, we were playing with a bunch of no names, and some of those guys were playing pretty darn well. Bond filled in great for Kelly before he went down.

A quicker paced offense with an athletic guy like Luck, will hide a lot of flaws we have seen.  Just by adding a solid Guard in FA we can have an impact in the run game.  Mewhort would be nice to have but he looks done.  I would be fine with grabbing someone like Hurst or Fulton in FA.  Solid guys that are not breaking the bank like Norwell.  Then draft a potential T and another guard in the mid rounds.  McDaniels or Shurmur (still hopeful) will run a faster pace system to help Luck and the o-line.

We would definately be better under your scenario, but I agree the O-line needs more help.  I think Mewhort is done, and Norwell has little chance to hit FA.  Also, Okorofor from Western Michigan hs a reputation for being one of the softest linemen in the draft.  He would easily be available in the 4th, but there would be better OT availabe at that point.

It would be huge if one of the DE like Lawrence hit FA.  Again, not likely, but if they do, throw the money at them.  I also like Joyner and Preston Brown.  I'm a huge OL guy, and ours is a mess, but the defense in the playoffs has opened my eyes.  Draft D the first two rounds, get best available OL in rounds 3 and 4.  At three there could be ridiculously good OG - Hernandez and Teuhema.

I'd draft Roquan Smith at #3 and a rush guy like Rashaan Evans in round 2.  Then I'd get Maea Teuhema at 3, and Quentin Spain OT in round 4.

1.  Roquon Smith

2.  Rashaan Evans

3.  Maea Teuhema, Hernandez, or Isaiah Wynn

4.  Quenton Spain OT or Jamarco Jones.

28 minutes ago, PowerballBlue said:

We would definately be better under your scenario, but I agree the O-line needs more help.  I think Mewhort is done, and Norwell has little chance to hit FA.  Also, Okorofor from Western Michigan hs a reputation for being one of the softest linemen in the draft.  He would easily be available in the 4th, but there would be better OT availabe at that point.

It would be huge if one of the DE like Lawrence hit FA.  Again, not likely, but if they do, throw the money at them.  I also like Joyner and Preston Brown.  I'm a huge OL guy, and ours is a mess, but the defense in the playoffs has opened my eyes.  Draft D the first two rounds, get best available OL in rounds 3 and 4.  At three there could be ridiculously good OG - Hernandez and Teuhema.

I'd draft Roquan Smith at #3 and a rush guy like Rashaan Evans in round 2.  Then I'd get Maea Teuhema at 3, and Quentin Spain OT in round 4.

1.  Roquon Smith

2.  Rashaan Evans

3.  Maea Teuhema, Hernandez, or Isaiah Wynn

4.  Quenton Spain OT or Jamarco Jones.

Panthers have 15m in cap space

Very likely Norwell hits he market

I didn't know the Panthers were that money strapped.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but do you drop that kind of money on a guard?  I've seen the light on elite defense.  Great guards are normally available in the 3rd.  Tackles are much trickier, but is it wise to invest so much on a guard?  I heard a former GM once say that you can only pay full market value to about 9 players, and then everyone else needs to be a deal.  Which nine do you choose?  QB and eight more.  Every OL you choose takes away a blue chip defender.  Left Tackle seems a given, now we are at seven elite defenders.  I'd like to have three great cover corners, two great pass rushers, now you have to start choosing between safeties like Hooker and Ilb, ect.

14 hours ago, PowerballBlue said:

I didn't know the Panthers were that money strapped.  I can't believe I'm saying this, but do you drop that kind of money on a guard?  I've seen the light on elite defense.  Great guards are normally available in the 3rd.  Tackles are much trickier, but is it wise to invest so much on a guard?  I heard a former GM once say that you can only pay full market value to about 9 players, and then everyone else needs to be a deal.  Which nine do you choose?  QB and eight more.  Every OL you choose takes away a blue chip defender.  Left Tackle seems a given, now we are at seven elite defenders.  I'd like to have three great cover corners, two great pass rushers, now you have to start choosing between safeties like Hooker and Ilb, ect.

Is Norwell worth the money...yes!  Are there any other guys out there we could grab for cheaper...yes!  Regardless the line needs addressed to help keep a more balanced offense and a healthy QB.  We have AC, Kelly, the potential of Good at R, and a few ex practice squad players and Clark who is junk for the most part.  We need to look at this as a problem, which does not mean we have to spend all our money here though.