Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to fix the colts for 2018

CR91

Position Strength

QB

DL

Secondary

QB obviously depends on Luck's health, but the important thing here is we finally have a capable backup. DL continues to be a strength as hankins woods anderson and hunt showed great ability to hold the LOS and majority improved our run defense. Our secondary really improved when it came to take aways from the previous year and if we resign melvin and desir along with wilson, hairston, hooker coming back, and geathers, we'd have a very good secondary.

Can Improve

Pass Catchers

RB

Pass Rush

Luck needs more then just better oline play, he needs more weapons. Hilton is great, but rogers moncrief and doyle are not enough to take pressure off of him. I do think we need to draft a WR in the first three rounds. Maybe also try to get paul richardson or taylor Gabriel. I also don't have a problem with giving moncrief a one year prove it deal. RB is actually interesting because we can either draft Barkley, make mack the workhorse, or sign a RB like Dion Lewis to pair with mack. Personally I do like Barkley, he reminds me of a bigger MJD with his massive thighs along with speed and power, but I also am a big fan of Qunton Nelson. G is a big need, but if we can sign a guy like norwell then G isn't that major of a need and Barkley is possible. I honestly don't think our pass rush is bad. Simon and Sheard played great for us. Yes the sack numbers don't tell the story, but sheard I believe led the league in QB hits which tells me we had no problem creating pressure just finishing. I also think Basham was getting better towards the end of the season. We all knew he was going to be a project, but I think there is potential if we continue to work with him. Also Mingo had his moments as well and is a very good depth/ST player. Could we get better? Of course, but I don't think its a major need as some might think.

Needs to Improve

OL

ILB

As I mentioned before, I think G is the biggest weakness on the team next to RT. I think we need to understand the situation with mewhort first before we try to replace him. Imo, he is our best olineman when healthy which is the problem he can't stay healthy. I do want to try to resign mewhort, but I just don't know if ballard wants to resign a guy that has so much ability, but can't stay on the field. As for RT, there really aren't a lot of good tackles in FA so I would try to get Orlando Brown in the second round or maybe trade down for Mcglinchey. ILB I would love to get Malik Jefferson in the second. Reminds me a lot of Deion Jones. I think Morrison is a good downhill run stuffer, but he doesn't play with any discipline and over reads plays which puts him out of position.  

For ballard, I really think he needs to focus on improving our offense. He spent last offseason rebuilding the defense and I think we've played good defense this year, but were held back by our offense. We need to help luck plain and simple rather that is getting him a RB to take pressure off of him or getting him more weapons other then Hilton. Yes oline is a priority, but we need to stop thinking luck can make anyone great and actually get him players that can contribute rather or not hes behind center.I love what ballard said about how he doesn't want this to be all about luck. he doesn't want this team to rely on one player which is the correct focus this team needs. We can't expect to be a good team only because of luck. We need more good players instead of relying on one great one.  

I'd sign Robinson/Landry and Norwell/Pugh in free agency and an ILB as well. In the draft, don't trade down for McGlinchey. I'd be fine with Brown at the second pick, if there aren't better players available. In the 3rd/fourth round, if Barkley isn't taken, draft a RB.

30 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

Doyle is a great help for Luck..

And we need another CB. Desir isn't a superstar

desir isnt starting. wilson is. and while doyle is reliable, we have no depth behind him and we can do better.

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

desir isnt starting. wilson is. and while doyle is reliable, we have not depth behind him and we can do better.

Tyler Eifert slides in nicely 

And you're going off of a lot of potential here. Wilson imo is a #2 corner, Hairston in the slot, Hooker at FS. We're lacking a stud #1 CB still

20 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

And you're going off of a lot of potential here. Wilson imo is a #2 corner, Hairston in the slot, Hooker at FS. We're lacking a stud #1 CB still

Slides in nicely on the injury report or IR

26 minutes ago, Boomstick1 said:

melvin was playing great before he got hurt

- Resign Melvin(CB)and Desir(CB) hopefully to a decent price.

- Resign Mingo(OLB) and Vinateiri(K).

- Sign Allen Robinson(WR), Jarvis Landry(WR)

- Sign Andrew Norwell (G) and another Guard.

- Draft Barkley(RB) round 1, than draft all OLine, and Linebacker rounds 2-7

28 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

robinson and landry will be tagged. norwell will probably hit free agency since the panthers already paid their other guard and to tag norwell, he would get the the same money as LTs which is insane to pay

44 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I concur

16 minutes ago, CR91 said:

robinson and landry will be tagged. norwell will probably hit free agency since the panthers already paid their other guard and to tag norwell, he would get the the same money as LTs which is insane to pay

It's worth it though. Colts have the money, they can overpay for an All-Pro guard. As for robinson and Landry, it remains to be seen. If they aren't, Colts should definitely pursue them.

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

Position Strength

QB

DL

Secondary

QB obviously depends on Luck's health, but the important thing here is we finally have a capable backup. DL continues to be a strength as hankins woods anderson and hunt showed great ability to hold the LOS and majority improved our run defense. Our secondary really improved when it came to take aways from the previous year and if we resign melvin and desir along with wilson, hairston, hooker coming back, and geathers, we'd have a very good secondary.

Can Improve

Pass Catchers

RB

Pass Rush

Luck needs more then just better oline play, he needs more weapons. Hilton is great, but rogers moncrief and doyle are not enough to take pressure off of him. I do think we need to draft a WR in the first three rounds. Maybe also try to get paul richardson or taylor Gabriel. I also don't have a problem with giving moncrief a one year prove it deal. RB is actually interesting because we can either draft Barkley, make mack the workhorse, or sign a RB like Dion Lewis to pair with mack. Personally I do like Barkley, he reminds me of a bigger MJD with his massive thighs along with speed and power, but I also am a big fan of Qunton Nelson. G is a big need, but if we can sign a guy like norwell then G isn't that major of a need and Barkley is possible. I honestly don't think our pass rush is bad. Simon and Sheard played great for us. Yes the sack numbers don't tell the story, but sheard I believe led the league in QB hits which tells me we had no problem creating pressure just finishing. I also think Basham was getting better towards the end of the season. We all knew he was going to be a project, but I think there is potential if we continue to work with him. Also Mingo had his moments as well and is a very good depth/ST player. Could we get better? Of course, but I don't think its a major need as some might think.

Needs to Improve

OL

ILB

As I mentioned before, I think G is the biggest weakness on the team next to RT. I think we need to understand the situation with mewhort first before we try to replace him. Imo, he is our best olineman when healthy which is the problem he can't stay healthy. I do want to try to resign mewhort, but I just don't know if ballard wants to resign a guy that has so much ability, but can't stay on the field. As for RT, there really aren't a lot of good tackles in FA so I would try to get Orlando Brown in the second round or maybe trade down for Mcglinchey. ILB I would love to get Malik Jefferson in the second. Reminds me a lot of Deion Jones. I think Morrison is a good downhill run stuffer, but he doesn't play with any discipline and over reads plays which puts him out of position.  

For ballard, I really think he needs to focus on improving our offense. He spent last offseason rebuilding the defense and I think we've played good defense this year, but were held back by our offense. We need to help luck plain and simple rather that is getting him a RB to take pressure off of him or getting him more weapons other then Hilton. Yes oline is a priority, but we need to stop thinking luck can make anyone great and actually get him players that can contribute rather or not hes behind center.I love what ballard said about how he doesn't want this to be all about luck. he doesn't want this team to rely on one player which is the correct focus this team needs. We can't expect to be a good team only because of luck. We need more good players instead of relying on one great one.  

Great post and spot on

I think you have to look at every player. We have some promise at DB for instance, but the young guys have a lot to prove, Hooker has to make it back from a tough injury, Geathers might not be reliable, and Melvin and Desir are FAs and coming back from injury. I think the DB group has a ton of question marks, could stand to see a big overhaul, and probably needs two new starters. 

Same with other position groups. I think the entire roster needs to be reworked. 

2 hours ago, PureGold said:

Sign Brice Butler. Sign Sammy Watkins.FA

Sign 1 Guard FA

Sign 1Right tackle FA

Sign RB Deion Lewis FA

Draft G Nelson

Draft DE Key

Draft CB

Draft ILB

How are the Colts supposed to draft both Nelson AND Key?

They are both first round draft picks.         We have one and it is expensive to trade back into the first round.

7 minutes ago, PureGold said:

He asked how to get it done. Might not be the best answer or the answer of the majority but it's a answer.

Its not that people don't want to hear it ... it's ridiculous and unrealistic ... if Luck is healthy enough we would get all that than why would we trade him; if he's not healthy no one is giving us that much for him.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think you have to look at every player. We have some promise at DB for instance, but the young guys have a lot to prove, Hooker has to make it back from a tough injury, Geathers might not be reliable, and Melvin and Desir are FAs and coming back from injury. I think the DB group has a ton of question marks, could stand to see a big overhaul, and probably needs two new starters. 

Same with other position groups. I think the entire roster needs to be reworked. 

A complete overhaul of the roster is not likely. You can only try to make improvements. Desir and Melvin are not difficult resigns and there is nothing so far that indicates hooker will miss time and geathers should be back to normal after more playing time from his injury

So if Luck is healthy and we was able to get all of that for him in a trade, wouldn't that make our team entirely better without him ? We would have the Oline to protect Jacoby who can make any throw Luck can. So realisticly the colts would be a better team overall. Luck will never be a champion by himself or we would have won a superbowl with him. He's not bigger than the whole team entirely. Defense won Manning 2 super bowls. And defense will win Luck his super bowls. And Jacoby would get the same results as Luck would with a better team around him.

2 minutes ago, PureGold said:

So if Luck is healthy and we was able to get all of that for him in a trade, wouldn't that make our team entirely better without him ? We would have the Oline to protect Jacoby who can make any throw Luck can. So realisticly the colts would be a better team overall. Luck will never be a champion by himself or we would have won a superbowl with him. He's not bigger than the whole team entirely. Defense won Manning 2 super bowls. And defense will win Luck his super bowls. And Jacoby would get the same results as Luck would with a better team around him.

NO

1 minute ago, PureGold said:

Trading Luck makes the overall team better.

No it certainly doesn't make this team better.

Without Andrew we're what we were this year, every year.

There are no Andrew Luck's in the draft. There's none in FA, and there's not gonna be someone like him for a while.

He makes this team run. Trading away the cornerstone of the franchise is an awful move and unless you want losing seasons for a few years, you keep him

19 minutes ago, CR91 said:

A complete overhaul of the roster is not likely. You can only try to make improvements. Desir and Melvin are not difficult resigns and there is nothing so far that indicates hooker will miss time and geathers should be back to normal after more playing time from his injury

Obviously we can't change the entire roster, and I'm not saying we should or even that we need to. I do think the roster should be dramatically different, though.

I also don't think we should be relying on any players who are coming back from significant injury, especially lower body injury. We don't know when Hooker will be back, but ACL recovery is a 9-12 month timeframe, so counting on him at the start of the season seems unrealistic. Geathers seems like he's okay, but he was on a pitch count whenever he played, and came back from a very serious neck injury. Hopefully he's okay, but there's no way I'd be relying on him going forward, either.

Desir and Melvin shouldn't be difficult to re-sign, but being free agents, there's no guarantee we'll have them. Better have a backup plan. And while both played well, neither is the kind of guy that you build your secondary around, IMO. 

For me, we need to be two deep at every position to whatever extent possible, and should be working under the assumption that injured players won't be back and able to perform at a high level. 

8 minutes ago, PureGold said:

It's fans of players and it's fans of teams. Trading Luck makes the overall team better. Business over emotions. I personally care more about the Colts as a team over a individual player on the team. 

No, that's not it. It's that your proposition is a bad one. Trading your best player doesn't make your team better, especially when you're talking about an upper echelon, playmaking QB entering his prime.

We have plenty of resources to restock the roster right now. You want to hit the reset button.

You're also ignoring the simple concept that, if Luck isn't guaranteed ready to go, no one is going to give up a big haul for him. And if he is ready to go, you'd be crazy to trade him.

This is a non starter, bottom line.

28 minutes ago, PureGold said:

:scratch:

31 minutes ago, Superman said:

Obviously we can't change the entire roster, and I'm not saying we should or even that we need to. I do think the roster should be dramatically different, though.

I also don't think we should be relying on any players who are coming back from significant injury, especially lower body injury. We don't know when Hooker will be back, but ACL recovery is a 9-12 month timeframe, so counting on him at the start of the season seems unrealistic. Geathers seems like he's okay, but he was on a pitch count whenever he played, and came back from a very serious neck injury. Hopefully he's okay, but there's no way I'd be relying on him going forward, either.

Desir and Melvin shouldn't be difficult to re-sign, but being free agents, there's no guarantee we'll have them. Better have a backup plan. And while both played well, neither is the kind of guy that you build your secondary around, IMO. 

For me, we need to be two deep at every position to whatever extent possible, and should be working under the assumption that injured players won't be back and able to perform at a high level. 

Are you suggesting we need to reevaluate our safety position? I don't agree. Melvin showed all the ability of CB1 and desir was very solid. Unfortunately we can't get past injury bug and we haven't for years. 

3 minutes ago, KING. said:

The Colts had a stud at ILB in Jerrell Freeman and Grigson let him walk.

True, but he wouldn't be the answer at this point anyway.

Sidenote:  Dude you change names and avatars more than a lady changes her face.  KING. ?  With a period.  The exclamation point was too much?  Went with the more subtle ALL CAPS and then a period, did ya?...  I hope you like ribs, cuz I'm ribbin you good.  (I want my baby-back, baby-back, baby-back CHILI'S BABY-BACK RIBS!)