Indianapolis Colts

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

oldunclemark

Jacksonville (+7) at Pittsburgh (1-14-18)

1:05 EST...Ian Eagle, Dan Fouts and Evan Washburn on CBS

Cold.  Maybe 15 degrees. Low winds.   over-under 41 at Heinz Field, Pittsburgh

The 'Million Dollar Defense' and the '10 cent quarterback.'

Jax vet 'Big Mistake Blake' Bortles threw for less than 100 yards last week and he must do better against a Pittsburgh team that had 50 QB sacks during the regular season.

Leonard Fournette (268 caries, 1,040 yards) has to run for 100 yards (he ran for 181 in the Pitt-Jax game in September) against a Pittsburgh defense that has allowed just 89 rushing first downs all year but lost top LB Ryan Shazier for the season a month ago.

Pittsburgh star 'Big Ben' Rothlisberger (360 of 561, 4,251 yards, 28 Tds, 14 Interceptions) threw five of his 14 interceptions in a 30-9 loss to Jacksonville in September.

If he throws five more, the Jaguars will win and the Jax backs have an NFL-leading 21 interceptions on the season.

Pittsburgh will lean on the law firm of 'Ben, Brown and Bell' and LeVeon Bell (321 carries, 1,291 yards) will try to stop whining about how he turned down a $15 million dollar guaranteed contract long enough to gain more yards than he did in the AFC title game last year when he was hurt and contributed nothing.

WR Antonio Brown (101 catches, 1,533 yards) may not be at full strength but rookie WR JuJu Schuster (58 catches, 917 yards) and tight end Jesse James (43 catches, 372 yards) will be. Bell also has 85 catches for 658 yards..  Brown will probably be a decoy most of the day.

Jax is led by veteran pass rusher Calais Campbell, the almost certain 'Defensive Player of the Year',  who had 14.5 sacks. Folks have called this Jaguars defense the best statistical defense in this century. (going back to 2000) as they have held nine teams to 10 points or less. But those numbers at buikt against AFC QBs like Tom Savage, Jacoby Brissett and an a playing-hurt Marcus Mariota.

Five of the teams they held to less than 10 are their AFC South brothers. Two others were Buffalo and Cleveland. Jacksonville beat Cleveland 19-7. Pittsburgh backups beat Cleveland 28-24. The 'Best Defense South of Minnesota' gave up 44 points at sub-.500 SF three weeks ago.

There is a lot of feeling for Jacksonville but this spread does not reflect that.  The week off was a major blessing for the Steelers who rested injured players in the final week as well. Jacksonville is also a warm weather team playing in very cold conditions.. Here's some cold, hard reality. Pittsburgh (13-3) gained 6,000 yards during the regular season. The Steelers have won 10 of their last 11 games and the loss came when the refs overruled the game winning TD. Jacksonville (11-6) lost twice to Tennessee.

The plus-7 is a classic sucker bet. The gap between Rothlisberger and Bortles is like the difference between ham and spam.

Remember. 'NBOJ'     Until they get a real quarterback.  'Never bet on Jacksonville'

Take the Steelers to win and cover. Its the best bet of the weekend.

Go Steelers, I guess. Normally I'd root for the Jags because of the AFC South representation, but there's something about rooting for them that I don't like. I don't like the cockiness of their team, either.

46 minutes ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Steelers should handle these guys. 27 20

Jax wont score 20 unless they go to the 'Wildcat' and play without Bortles

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Could the Jags pull the upset off? Make the Final 4? They made that look easy. Steelers made Bortles look like Montana on that drive! 7-0 Jags.

If the Jags can contain the Steelers offense, possibly.

Well, Blake Bortles is going to go to Foxboro next week and get slapped silly.

I'm sure the defense will forget how to play defense too.

Congrats to the AFC Champion Patriots!

Just now, buffalo34 said:

You know the refs will make it to where the Jags secondary have to play soft with a few DPIs early

Wow, Jax is definitely gong to be a thorn in our side.

They look legit. Play good D and great run blocking.

2 minutes ago, buffalo34 said:

Jags defense is good. But you're right. Nobody can stop a million 3 yard routes a game.

3 minutes ago, buffalo34 said:

Go Away!   haha

Just now, oldunclemark said:

we're about to see if Ben 'still has it'

If he plays like he did earlier in the season, I doubt it.