stitches

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, #12. said:

Could they just give him a special title like, I don't know, Lebeau had?

Regardless, I'm sure he's a genuine head coaching candidate.

The issue is that he's under contract with Houston and unless he's getting a HC job, Houston is in charge of whether he can take another job.

Lebeau was let go from Pittsburgh, so there wasn't a contractual issue.

I was really hoping O'Brien was going to get chopped with the FO shakeup in Houston, so that Vrabel could sign with us, but that didn't happen at all..

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The answer is no. We cant actually hire him/say anything until the Pats season is over. McDaniels cant even be interviewed anymore as of now either until the Pats lose.

That's not true. If the Pats keep winning , he can be interviewed the week following the AFCG which is often called the "SB bye week."  When the team arrives in Santa Barbara , then no.

Unfortunately there aren't anymore old school name coaches around.

Anyone of these candidates could be a hit or a flop.

Don't think we should get to judgmental on the choice honestly. Doesn't do us any good.

Per NFL Rules:

LATERAL OPPORTUNITIES

• Assistant coach to Non Head Coach opportunities

• Note: “promotions” to coordinator level are NOT promotions under this policy; a coach is either an Assistant Coach or a Head Coach, period.
  • Teams retain exclusive rights to an Assistant Coach who just completed the final season under contract until:

• The Tuesday following 15 days after the final Monday Night Football game of the regular season, if the Assistant Coaches team is not in the playoffs
    • The 3rd Tuesday after the Assistant Coaches final playoff game (including Super Bowl), but in no event later than the expiration date in the coaches contract.
    • This 3 week exclusivity period CAN be waived by the coach’s team.
  • Coaches Not Under Written Contract:

• If an Assistant Coach is working without a contract in effect (i.e., hasn’t yet signed his deal, his old deal lapsed, no new deal reached, but he’s still working for the club), permission MUST be granted even if coach continues to be paid on a non contract basis, and even if it is after March 1st.
    • Any Assistant Coach not under contract by the time preseason training camp begins is not permitted to participate until his written contract is signed and approved by the League office.

So assistant coaches in the NFL cannot leave their team unless granted permission or following the expiration of their contracts unless they are hiring for HC positions.

2 minutes ago, dw49 said:

That's not true. If the Pats keep winning , he can be interviewed the week following the AFCG which is often called the "SB bye week."  When the team arrives in Santa Barbara , then no.

I learn something new everyday. I thought once the Pats bye week was over he couldn't be interviewed anymore.

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

if we give me a promotion it can. which is why I added asst. HC. that would technically be a promotion

Nope. 

For the 50000th time on these threads, per NFL rules, all coaches not the Head Coach are considers assistants, therefore the only promotion available is Head Coach. Period. 

Hes under contract with the Texans, therefore, the only ways he can leave that contract is if the  Texans fire him or he gets a Head Coach offer

3 minutes ago, Shive said:

Per NFL Rules:

So assistant coaches in the NFL cannot leave their team unless granted permission or following the expiration of their contracts unless they are hiring for HC positions.

Source: http://www.prostarcoaching.net/library/NFL_Contact_Rules.pdf

I think we need to make a separate thread in this. I can't tell you how many times in the last week I've posted numerous links with that very information in it.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Nope. 

For the 50000th time on these threads, per NFL rules, all coaches not the Head Coach are considers assistants, therefore the only promotion available is Head Coach. Period. 

Hes under contract with the Texans, therefore, the only ways he can leave that contract is if the  Texans fire him or he gets a Head Coach offer

Even if that is not his official title? whats the point of being called an asst HC if that is not considered a promotion by league rules? 

Just now, csmopar said:

I think we need to make a separate thread in this. I can't tell you how many times in the last week I've posted numerous links with that very information in it.

I was thinking the same thing. Just don't follow that link. It's dead for some reason..

Just now, CR91 said:

Even if that is not his official title? whats the point of being called an asst HC if that is not considered a promotion by league rules? 

Yep. A team can have as many assistant coaches as they want and can call them whatever title they want, they are ALL still assistants under the NFL rules

1 minute ago, ricker182 said:

That's the best Ballard can come up with?  

Josh "Riding on Belichick's Back" McDaniels?  

Can't wait to see him bickering like a child on the sideline with Luck.

Interesting tibit on that. When Mcdaniels left, the patriots didn't win a super bowl until he returned. Coincidence :dunno: 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Yep. A team can have as many assistant coaches as they want and can call them whatever title they want, they are ALL still assistants under the NFL rules

then the title of asst HC is pointless

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I learn something new everyday. I thought once the Pats bye week was over he couldn't be interviewed anymore.

It's not that I'm smart and I knew that. I read the rules regarding interviewing coaches of teams still playing when Pagano was fired Monday.

7 minutes ago, CR91 said:

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

It's not pointless....

The added title gets the coach EXTRA money from the franchise.    It's a sweetener for the coach.   Also helps puff up a resume.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yep. It's more of a internal pat on the back promotion.

Could be we interviewed Vrabel to get more insight on Mcdaniels or just the patriots in general. We could also still get Kris Richard for DC. Mike Mcoy seems to be an interesting name being thrown out there for OC or even Beevel. That would a heck of a staff we'd have 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

It's not pointless....

The added title gets the coach EXTRA money from the franchise.    It's a sweetener for the coach.   Also helps puff up a resume.

what responsibility is added though that makes it a promotion?

Just now, CR91 said:

Could be we interviewed Vrabel to get more insight on Mcdaniels or just the patriots in general. We could also still get Kris Richard for DC. Mike Mcoy seems to be an interesting name being thrown out there for OC or even Beevel. That would a heck of a staff we'd have 

Possibly. But that's probably get us slapped with a violation. 

1 hour ago, lennymoore24 said:

Two points.  First of all, I don't recall ever hearing Ballard say that Toub was his guy at anytime.  It seems that was a rumor floated last offseason once Ballard was hired.  Is there any evidence Ballard wanted Toub other than speculation?

Secondly, remember that Belichick had a similar experience to McDaniels when he was coach of the Browns.  He didn't make too many friends when he cut the beloved Bernie Kosar.  They showed improvement but the last year didn't do very well.  He had just an incredible staff.   So McDaniels shouldn't be crucified too much for his Bronco decisions. He should have never had power over personnel.  But as a coach, his offenses always amaze me.  They will run the ball 40 times one week and the next week run 4 times.  They will feature Dion Lewis one week and then James White the next.  They completely change their makeup depending on who they play.  And that is a far cry from what the Colts have been doing, which is line up and do the same thing with the same lineup no matter who we play.  So McDaniels could be very good.  I don't agree with the person who says Mike McCoy should be OC. 

If McDaniels is going to be the coach he is going to have to hire a "mini me" to be his OC if he wants to replicate his system and strategy in NE.  He will have to spread his time around being the HC. If he and the OC are on the same page and think alike our offense could be pretty awesome. 

Just now, CR91 said:

Think of the the Pagano/ Arian situation in 2012.  Pretty much sets up a chain of command within the organization so that there's no question as to who steps up if say the head coach gets cancer and can't coach

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Think of the the Pagano/ Arian situation in 2012.  Pretty much sets up a chain of command within the organization so that there's no question as to who steps up if say the head coach gets cancer and can't coach

Don't think Arian's was giving the title of asst HC when he was hired though

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

Don't think Arian's was giving the title of asst HC when he was hired though

No but that was the thought process when teams started doing that stuff. Bottom line is, the NFL only recognizes two tiers of coaches: Head Coach and Assistant Coaches. Heck Kansas City has 23 assistant coaches. The league average is 16.

41 minutes ago, PManTheGreatest said:

I know he failed in Denver and St. Louis, but I think McD has learned from those situations. I really hope it's McD. Also, imagine a McD offense with Luck. If Luck is not healthy, he already has experience with Brissett

I read that as a "McDonald" offense with Luck.  Wow I must be hungry LOL.

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Most likely taking on more big picture responsibilities and assisting the HC more than a normal coordinator or position coach would. More responsibilities, more money, more experience to help make them a more desirable HC candidate in the future.

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think that varies with different teams.   I think it would be whatever the HC wants to delegate. 

It mught not mean any more responsibility.   Just a public recognition of a job well done and a nice bump in pay.    And it might be an acknowledgement that the assistant would be the guy to replace the HC on the sideline if the HC were not available for any given game for any given reason..

1 minute ago, ricker182 said:

We already lost the guy I wanted to the Bears.  

At this point, I don't think I'd be happy with anyone, but I would have a VERY difficult time rooting for a team coached by Josh McDaniels.  

I thought the same thing when we hired coach Dungy... my attitude quickly changed.