Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wilks declines interview, bring on Josh!!

Indeee

I'm not convinced that Ballard has made a choice yet, but it is possible... 

I mean, what if J. McD and the Colts have an agreement, in principle and, at the end of that meeting, McD hands over a list of guys to look at for positions on the staff (coordinators and position coaches)... or even emails one later...

Suppose Matt Rhule was a name on that list...

Now suppose there was a third coach on the grassy knoll. :hat:

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure I buy the Colts canceling the interview.  Not saying it's impossible, I just think it's highly unlikely.

I think it's more likely that (A) Wilks is condident he's got a solid job offer elsewhere and (B)  Wilks believes the Colts would prefer an offensive guy.

That's odd since we've focused on TWO OCs and THREE DCs.     

Hmmm?    Curious?   

I buy (A), that is very possible. If a normal average worker makes 50,000 dollars a year and he has 3 different offers/interviews with companies that will possibly pay him 75,000 a year than he will go to all 3. He isn't saying NO to anyone of them unless he already has the job with 1 of 3 after the 1st interview.

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’m not buying that the Colts wanted an offensive guy. Goes against everything Ballard said about there being no pre-requisites for any of the candidates. 

Can't believe everything they tell you... we tried a "defensive minded coach" and it didnt work plus our rushing defense has improved alot so I can understand them wanting a offensive minded coach to atleast get our running game going to help luck out

1 hour ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i like how when Dungy was running the colts he had Caldwell . Now that i really think about it Dungy a defensive minded coach knew what he was doing when selecting a great offensive mind

Caldwell was never OC.

The thing don't like about McDaniels is how the Players hated him when he was head coach of Denver.

If he has personality issues, that is not a trait easy to correct.

The Colts have been very quite through this whole process. No one know what they are up to. 

I doubt Ballard can be totally confident that McDanaels will sign with us, at this point. There are other teams still involved. If all you have is a handshake agreement, that can fall through.

So, I am still not on board. Not buying that the choice is made for McDaniels.

9 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It either means A.) We are very interested in Josh McDaniels or B.) The worst case scenario is true that Luck may never play again and Ballard is telling coaching candidates that and they don't want to coach here. Lets hope it's A, because B would be a disaster.

I do think it is A).

Since the Colts have to wait it out and may have expressed to McDaniels they are extremely interested in signing him and are patient to wait it out, the only reason any interview may be canceled is that there is a STRONG mutual interest reciprocated as well, IMO. 

I feel the Giants are most likely to go for a defensive minded coach - Steve Wilks or Jim Schwartz, subject to how the Eagles do this weekend.

3 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

i like how when Dungy was running the colts he had Caldwell . Now that i really think about it Dungy a defensive minded coach knew what he was doing when selecting a great offensive mind

Oh my. It's finally happened. Someone who doesn't know the legend of Tom Moore. 

It really is an era of the past now. 

I'm actually pretty sad, honestly. 

11 hours ago, Coltsman1788 said:

That’s disconcerting.  Nagy can’t sign with the Bears fast enough after his interview and now Wilks eschews his Colts interview altogether.  I wonder what they know that we all don’t.   

Yes it is disconcerting.

But I assume the NFL circles have figured the Colts want McDaniels and are using interviews with other candidates as PR, so other candidates aren't taking the Colts interviews very sincerely.

I just hope that the reason McDaniels would pick the Colts is because we are attractive to him, not because we are his only chance.

Has McDaniels interviewed with other teams?

40 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I do think it is A).

Since the Colts have to wait it out and may have expressed to McDaniels they are extremely interested in signing him and are patient to wait it out, the only reason any interview may be canceled is that there is a STRONG mutual interest reciprocated as well, IMO. 

I feel the Giants are most likely to go for a defensive minded coach - Steve Wilks or Jim Schwartz, subject to how the Eagles do this weekend.

Schwartz yelled and hot-headed himself out of future HC chances when he was with Detroit.  It'll be a while before he gets another chance.

20 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Trust me I get it lol we are all trying to think of every random thing with hardly any dang info lol 

I kind of like it.  I don't like the whole hype up crap like what we had last year.  Seems like Irsay and Ballard have it locked tight.

I understand why media outlets speculate over coaching hires, however it's getting outright dumb, especially with stampede blue for example. There is no way any of our current staff should be speculated as potential HC candidates or even coordinators to be kept around. All these guys are bums and had minimal success at best with the Colts, it's why Ballard has let them all look elsewhere.

The special teams guy, as example, may have been okay but when is the last time we have had a punt return for a TD or a kickoff return for a TD? If I have forgotten any return TD's recently then I apologize and I know it's only 2 aspects of entire job and the punter find was actually decent, but I doubt Adam is going to kick worse with a different guy.

It's quite possible Toub might want to lateral move to Indy with same or more money offered once a HC is selected, just a thought, may be unrealistic idk.

I just hope that if mcDaniels is selected that he doesn't bring mangini or crenel as DC's respectively as I think maybe the game might have passed these guys by. Schianno might be in the mix, not sure if he is coaching anywhere.

These situations should be speculated, if any at all, not if current colts staff is in the mix imo

Can a contract be signed by McDaniels prior to NE's playoff run ending so that he is locked up and can't be flirting with other teams (or deciding to stay put)? If not, this would seem to be a very risky move on Ballard's part to take McDaniels at his word that he wants to come coach here and having to wait until after NE is out of the playoffs. NE is more than likely going to be at least in the AFCCG or even the SB. By that point, if he got cold feet or went elsewhere the Colts would be in a very tough spot coaching-wise.

I think McDaniels is probably the best candidate out there so I am all for him being the HC, but I also hope we aren't putting all of our eggs in that basket unless he is guaranteed to be here in the future.

4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

You forget that Caldwell started out with the Colts as the QB coach for 3 years but spent 4 years as the assistant head coach before being named head coach in 2009.

He was QB coach the whole time...they added the title of Asst Head coach later on, if I remember correctly

3 minutes ago, J@son said:

He was QB coach the whole time...they added the title of Asst Head coach later on, if I remember correctly

Yes they named him assistant head coach in 2005 if I remember correctly.

IMO he was fired here too pre mature but he didn't do very well without Payton so it's understandable.

He did coach Flacco well enough to play the best of his career. Once he left Flacco become his old self. (but did make him very rich) haha

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yes they named him assistant head coach in 2005 if I remember correctly.

IMO he was fired here too pre mature but he didn't do very well without Payton so it's understandable.

He did coach Flacco well enough to play the best of his career. Once he left Flacco become his old self. (but did make him very rich) haha

oh I was very ready for he and Christiansen to go after that 2011 season. 

I know I keep saying it, but I just get the feeling that Ballard is flying all over the country, interviewing candidates in secret, while the local media parks outside Colts complex looking for Saban (or whoever) to drive up...

I'm just finding it hard to believe that he isn't doing multiple interviews a day (one in a given day has only been reported) when in Indy. Also, that days are going by with no interviews doesn't ring true to me. I can't believe that Ballard would halt the process to wait for McDaniels to decide and leave himself open to the possibility that he withdraws... He is more shrewd than that, I hope.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I kind of like it.  I don't like the whole hype up crap like what we had last year.  Seems like Irsay and Ballard have it locked tight.

Exactly, fans are interesting creatures, on one hand we (some of us) harp on Irsay for being less than stellar at public speaking, lack of pressers, or questionable stances (especially regarding the health of a certain QB), etc. and in turn expect the team to be professional, poised, and forthright. However, some fans also expect to know what is going on behind the curtain at all times, almost lamenting the process for lack of information.

You can't really have it both ways & I for one appreciate Ballard's approach. After all, one of the last official reports on the issue was that the whole process would be 'internal'.  So I can definitely appreciate the 'tighter' approach that seems to be in play regardin the way the front office is working & searching for the next HC. It seems the most prudent, especially given the competitive nature of the NFL...

Hearing media types say they aren't hearing 'anything' or getting 'any info' from the Colts FO almost gives me goosebumps, seems like thats how you would want to run things!!!