Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let’s say Luck returns at 100% next season...

colt18

Are you expecting us to contend for a Super Bowl? 

Ill say yes. Luck has taken worse teams to the AFC Championship, and has also beat great teams on his own (Seattle, Denver 2x). I think whichever coaching staff we hire will be better than the last, which would make it even more of a sure thing. I’ve stated this opinion on other boards and continue to be attacked by Raiders fans (of all people!)

No.    This is NOT a Super Bowl level team.    Not even close.  

We could make the playoffs if everything went well, but that's not the same as being a Super Bowl contending team.   Think of the 18 team like the 12 team.   Playoff caliber.   Not Super Bowl caliber. Big difference.

I would say yes, with a healthy Luck we are better than the Titans and the Bills. The Jags offense is god awful if they dont get a QB than all they have going for them is their top 5 defense. The Chiefs seem to be on the downswing and could be starting Mahomes next season. These are the 3-6 seeds in the AFC this year, Does this mean we can beat the Pats or Steelers and get to the SB..probably not, but i think with Luck we would have a better chance than the Jags or Titans.

9 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Ill say yes. Luck has taken worse teams to the AFC Championship, and has also beat great teams on his own (Seattle, Denver 2x). I think whichever coaching staff we hire will be better than the last, which would make it even more of a sure thing. I’ve stated this opinion on other boards and continue to be attacked by Raiders fans (of all people!)

With a healthy Luck, and a should be much improved roster with top 3 draft picks in each round, and among the top in cap space for free agency, yes this team should contend for the AFC South Title first and foremost, provided the coaching staff is better than the previous regime, which I would hope that's the case. Not sure I'd say Super Bowl ready just yet though. This team is very young and needs some playoff experience outside of Luck, Hankins, Sheard, and others on the roster who've been to the playoffs. 

I could easily see both the Colts and Texans bouncing back and being the top 2 teams in 2018 in the division and the Jags and Titans being slightly below them. Could make for an interesting division race. 

Not by default.

I'm assuming we have better coaching, better QBing, a better roster, and some young guys perform at a higher level. That's enough to win the division and make the playoffs. I still don't think we'll be a first class AFC team right away, that will take a couple years.

Right now no.  We have a lot of holes to fill like two guards, a RT, a ILB, and a bell cow at RB along with getting more weapons for luck. Ballard definitely made it an priority to rebuild the defense last year and I expect him the retool the offense this year which has been our Achilles heel imo for the last two years.

If there’s one thing we all should be sure of is that none of us can be sure of anything.

I’ll just cite the 2015 Falcons, 8-8.  Infused with some key FAs they were one dumb play from being SB champs the next year.  

I know we weren’t 8-8 but with a healthy Luck THIS year, I think we would have been at least that.  

So, Mr. Ballard, we know it can be done. Bring in those FAs and draft picks to get us to the SB!   (And new coach, don’t blow it)

Well the division isn't an automatic 6-0 anymore. JAX Defense is stout. The titans finally beat us this season (though they still can't beat Luck), and I think the Texans with a healthy Watt and Watson are for real. The afc south is actually good. 

Just saying this now, but a 10-6 season, even with an early playoff exit is probably a big step for this team moving forward.

10 minutes ago, SLILLINGTON10 said:

Luck had 3 healthy season and didn't deliver a sb. He can't do it himself... why don't we wait and see what FA, the draft, and who our coach will be before we start talking about sb aspirations?

I didn’t see say SB win. I said contend for one. He almost made it before, it’s possible he could do it again.

54 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

With a healthy Luck, and a should be much improved roster with top 3 draft picks in each round, and among the top in cap space for free agency, yes this team should contend for the AFC South Title first and foremost, provided the coaching staff is better than the previous regime, which I would hope that's the case. Not sure I'd say Super Bowl ready just yet though. This team is very young and needs some playoff experience outside of Luck, Hankins, Sheard, and others on the roster who've been to the playoffs. 

I could easily see both the Colts and Texans bouncing back and being the top 2 teams in 2018 in the division and the Jags and Titans being slightly below them. Could make for an interesting division race. 

the texans with watson back on paper should be the elite of our division

18 minutes ago, colt18 said:

I didn’t see say SB win. I said contend for one. He almost made it before, it’s possible he could do it again.

Technically every team is contending for one every year. And while we have made it to a AFC champ game.. that game wasn't even a close one. I just think it's early to say the odds are in our favor or even a favorite to make it to a champ game.

12 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

The Jags with a decent QB could also take that spot to be honest. I’d wager the Jags D is better than Houston’s at the moment.

^^This... if the jags pick up Cousins or even Alex Smith (or even one of Vikings extra QBs, etc..)  they will be tough. 

Andrew Luck automatically makes us a better team...if he plays. I don't think we will be a playoff team next year. It could be possible to go 8-8 and be last in the South next year. This is no longer a chump division. Not saying that we can't make the playoffs next year but for myself I'm hoping for at least 8-8 and to be in the hunt for a playoff spot. You won't hear me complain though if we go 11-5, win the division, and make a nice playoff run. I guess I'm trying to say I want to be optimistic but reasonable.

I will give 2 examples of teams who went from pathetic to sb champs the very next season. The St. Louis Rams in 1998 were 4-12 and they really only made one change that offseason. They got Marshall Faulk handed to them by the Colts for a 2nd and 5th round draft picks.(HUH???-did that really happen? Yes it did.) Their only other significant change happened in the preseason when their starting qb got hurt and they had to put in an undrafted journeyman free agent named Kurt Warner at qb. As they say, the rest is history. (one more note- I still don't understand how we didn't get more for Faulk than the Cowsucks got for an over-the -hill Herscherl Walker in 1990-but thats a whole other topic). The other example was the pats. in 2000 they were a dismall 5-11 and made no changes qb got hurt got a few breaks including one HUGE one and ended up with the sb. So, don't worry people this team right now with a new coach coming in and free agency and the draft could have a great turn around next year also. After all, it has happened before!

With Luck we are a playoff team. 

Without Luck we are a bottom feeder. 

With Luck and a new defense? Haven’t seen it yet. 

We need some offensive pieces before I’m happy there and the coordinators and head coach are colossal. Defense still a huge ? but it always has been here. 

Super Bowl is in our future, but next year, probably just a wildcard playoff team if all goes well/near perfect. 

We are along way removed from those days . Just look at Ten and Jax to see time has passed. Texans with

2 hours ago, colt18 said:

their QB back. The AFC South is the most improved div. coming away from '17 competitively speaking. Colts need smart peoples who can see all the moving parts for a chance next season. Luck or not.

48 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I will give 2 examples of teams who went from pathetic to sb champs the very next season. The St. Louis Rams in 1998 were 4-12 and they really only made one change that offseason. They got Marshall Faulk handed to them by the Colts for a 2nd and 5th round draft picks.(HUH???-did that really happen? Yes it did.) Their only other significant change happened in the preseason when their starting qb got hurt and they had to put in an undrafted journeyman free agent named Kurt Warner at qb. As they say, the rest is history. (one more note- I still don't understand how we didn't get more for Faulk than the Cowsucks got for an over-the -hill Herscherl Walker in 1990-but thats a whole other topic). The other example was the pats. in 2000 they were a dismall 5-11 and made no changes qb got hurt got a few breaks including one HUGE one and ended up with the sb. So, don't worry people this team right now with a new coach coming in and free agency and the draft could have a great turn around next year also. After all, it has happened before!

In 1998 our Colts went 3-13, in 1999 went 13-3...Just so happens that was the year we drafted Edgerrin James. Could lighting strike twice if we take Barkley at #3 ??

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Well the division isn't an automatic 6-0 anymore. JAX Defense is stout. The titans finally beat us this season (though they still can't beat Luck), and I think the Texans with a healthy Watt and Watson are for real. The afc south is actually good. 

Just saying this now, but a 10-6 season, even with an early playoff exit is probably a big step for this team moving forward.

I would even feel better if we managed to get to 9-7.

Could we be in the playoffs? More than likely. Super bowl caliber? We would need a LOT to go right in FA and the draft and score a homerun on a head coach to be even mentioned with the likes of a superbowl. Chances are against it.

Id say if luck is 100 percent and we do well in the draft and free agency we are still a couple years out, which is totally fine. Super bowl caliber teams dont happen overnight, if ever. But the nfl is a strange place.

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

Both “game managers”. Still wouldn’t be afraid.

I don't know that I would necessarily being afraid, but the if the Jags get a decent QB (Cousins, Smith, etc ..) they will be the team to beat in the AFCS IMO.  I think they would be better than even a healthy Texans, and definitely better than the Titans.

-- Not to mention we seem to frequently have a tough time with them.