Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let’s say Luck returns at 100% next season...

colt18

I think Barkley is the best player in this draft,(I think the Browns will take him). That leaves us with Fitzpatrick  or a really great pass rusher at 3. I think Fitzpatrick could be used the same way the Cardinals use Buchanon, so I would take him at 3. We would have another game changer, if the new coaching staff knows how to use him.(just kidding,I don't know how to coach nfl players). Lots of options and bright future for the Colts!!!!

For me, it all comes down to two things, Luck and coaching hire. 

I believe Ballard will do well in FA and the draft and so if we get Luck back and a coaching staff that hit the ground running, I think we could make a run at the AFC championship game but I don't see us getting past Steelers or Patriots just yet.

12 hours ago, colt18 said:

Are you expecting us to contend for a Super Bowl? 

Ill say yes. Luck has taken worse teams to the AFC Championship, and has also beat great teams on his own (Seattle, Denver 2x). I think whichever coaching staff we hire will be better than the last, which would make it even more of a sure thing. I’ve stated this opinion on other boards and continue to be attacked by Raiders fans (of all people!)

I'd say no...we re in the middle of a rebuilding project. I'd be fine with a playoffs caliber Colts. NB! AFCS in't the lousiest division in the NFL any more. By far...

Luck back and 100% WITH some big time players added in FA and a big time draft. Maybe a SB contender, at worst a really good playoff team. IF we do those things along with a 100% 12. If we get Norwell and Kline Luck will finally have a monster OL protecting him. Which will also help his game mentally as well. Give him a big target like Allen Robinson opposite TY, and a good RB to pair with Mack and our offense is top of the league. Barkley looks like he's gonna be a superstar to me, but we don't have to waste the 3rd overall pick on a RB when you can get a stud RB in the 2nd-3rd.. Where were some of the best backs in thee NFL drafted ? Bell - 2nd. Johnson from Arizona. 3rd ? I think. Maybe 2nd. Look at this past draft. Hunt and Kamara were both 3rd rounders and they're better than the 2 taken RD 1. And this is a really deep RB class. Yeah Luck needs a stud RB. But he can be had in the 2nd-3rd like I said. The other thing is defense. We can get our own Miller, Mack, etc with Bradley Chubb. Then we can get a star RB, and a day 1 starting beast ILB in the 2nd-3rd. Re-Sign Melvin. Bring in a couple FA's like Malcolm Butler and Avery Williamson and we'll be stacked on both sides of the ball. Assuming both Melvin and Woods pick up where they left off, and Hooker, Farley, and Wilson all take big steps forward. We could have a top 10 defense to go with a top 2-3 offense if not the number 1 offense.

It's gonna be tough. Especially playing in a division that has two nasty defenses and a lot more talented roster than our Colts.

Chris Ballard is going to need to nail this draft and free agency in order to give us a shot at making the playoffs next season.

The Colts will also be entering their first season with a new HC, who will bring in a brand new coaching staff.

Just saying, who knows if possible HC Candidates are scared of him not being 100%, needs to have another surgery and leave a good OC/DC spot to coach our back-up? I wouldn't. If Andrew had been at 100% already or 107% according to the owner, there would be a line outside the door to want to be HC. If Nagy went to the Bears to coach a possible bust QB over Luck, that indeed is saying plenty of HC red flags here.

57 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Luck back and 100% WITH some big time players added in FA and a big time draft. Maybe a SB contender, at worst a really good playoff team. IF we do those things along with a 100% 12. If we get Norwell and Kline Luck will finally have a monster OL protecting him. Which will also help his game mentally as well. Give him a big target like Allen Robinson opposite TY, and a good RB to pair with Mack and our offense is top of the league. Barkley looks like he's gonna be a superstar to me, but we don't have to waste the 3rd overall pick on a RB when you can get a stud RB in the 2nd-3rd.. Where were some of the best backs in thee NFL drafted ? Bell - 2nd. Johnson from Arizona. 3rd ? I think. Maybe 2nd. Look at this past draft. Hunt and Kamara were both 3rd rounders and they're better than the 2 taken RD 1. And this is a really deep RB class. Yeah Luck needs a stud RB. But he can be had in the 2nd-3rd like I said. The other thing is defense. We can get our own Miller, Mack, etc with Bradley Chubb. Then we can get a star RB, and a day 1 starting beast ILB in the 2nd-3rd. Re-Sign Melvin. Bring in a couple FA's like Malcolm Butler and Avery Williamson and we'll be stacked on both sides of the ball. Assuming both Melvin and Woods pick up where they left off, and Hooker, Farley, and Wilson all take big steps forward. We could have a top 10 defense to go with a top 2-3 offense if not the number 1 offense.

If, If , and more If!

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

Just saying, who knows if possible HC Candidates are scared of him not being 100%, needs to have another surgery and leave a good OC/DC spot to coach our back-up? I wouldn't. If Andrew had been at 100% already or 107% according to the owner, there would be a line outside the door to want to be HC. If Nagy went to the Bears to coach a possible bust QB over Luck, that indeed is saying plenty of HC red flags here.

2 hours ago, JColts72 said:

If, If , and more If!

On 1/9/2018 at 6:13 PM, colt18 said:

Luck has taken worse teams to the AFC Championship, and has also beat great teams on his own (Seattle, Denver 2x).

I know.  If Andrew had just blocked for himself better, and caught all of the passes that he threw to himself... and made a few more crucial tackles, and made those clutch FGs... he could have won the SB that year... all on his own...  All we need is Luck to win a SB...

100% Andrew Luck = 100% Super Bowl!!!   WOOOOOOO!!!

(:sarcasm:)

40 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I know.  If Andrew had just blocked for himself better, and caught all of the passes that he threw to himself... and made a few more crucial tackles, and made those clutch FGs... he could have won the SB that year... all on his own...  All we need is Luck to win a SB...

100% Andrew Luck = 100% Super Bowl!!!   WOOOOOOO!!!

(:sarcasm:)

Yeah I know. I am still POed at him for missing that special teams tackle and the holding call. haha

12 hours ago, Dark Superman said:

It's gonna be tough. Especially playing in a division that has two nasty defenses and a lot more talented roster than our Colts.

Chris Ballard is going to need to nail this draft and free agency in order to give us a shot at making the playoffs next season.

The Colts will also be entering their first season with a new HC, who will bring in a brand new coaching staff.

I am normally one of the most enthusiastic fans but even I have to temper my expectations this next season. Too many forget this could very well not be pretty. It may take time especially with a new coaching staff.

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Yeah I know. I am still POed at him for missing that special teams tackle and the holding call. haha

We should just cut Luck.  Maybe we should trade up and draft Baker Mayfield #1.  He would never hold on a play where he needs to throw the ball to himself for a TD.

Automatic SB wins for 10-20 years.  He'll win so many SBs by himself, he will be so great, we don't even need any draft picks beyond 2018.  Sell the farm, the cows, the pigs, the chickens, the wood, the nails, ... what else can we sell?  Is there a better way to mortgage our future?

tenor.gif?itemid=3735404

Luck being healthy means we have the best QB in the South. Colts could win the division, but a SB contender is laughable. People still think we are in the Manning era, where we won 12 games almost every year. It's difficult and rare to have a team that was so dominant. This current team has a long way to go

Take this for what its worth.  Was hoping to making this a topic on the forum.  I have a buddy that knows someone that works in the chiefs organization.  He has heard that Nagy said that he went to chicago because he was told that lucks shoulder still has no blood flow.  I guess bo jackson never got his blood flow back which obviously lead to retirement.   Hope this is false but my buddy is a pretty honest dude.  And he def has a friend that works in the chiefs organization.  I am also not saying that nagy was offered the position.  

On 1/9/2018 at 8:02 PM, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

Andrew Luck automatically makes us a better team...if he plays. I don't think we will be a playoff team next year. It could be possible to go 8-8 and be last in the South next year. This is no longer a chump division. Not saying that we can't make the playoffs next year but for myself I'm hoping for at least 8-8 and to be in the hunt for a playoff spot. You won't hear me complain though if we go 11-5, win the division, and make a nice playoff run. I guess I'm trying to say I want to be optimistic but reasonable.

You're crazy. Just 8 wins w/ Luck? 

We have cap space, high draft picks and we were in almost every game this season

8-8 with a healthy Luck and high draft picks would be underwhelming 

Give me a break. If you had replaced JB with Luck thisyear,do you think we would beSB contenders? Really?

Come on man. Our defense is among the worst in the league. Our O-line IS the worst in the league, and other than T.Y. we have no players on offense that anyone not completely blinded by their love for the team would ever claim was truly elite in the NFL, Other than our kicker perhaps. Same goes for the defense. Some talent, sure, but no Watt, Von Miller, Ngata, Lewis, Reed,Kuechly, Sherman level players.Zero.

I love Luck, but even Peyton at the top of his game would not have been able to make this team a SB contender. Even Peyton had some top notch players around him.

Get real.

On 1/13/2018 at 1:31 AM, AllYouNeedIsLuck said:

You're crazy. Just 8 wins w/ Luck? 

We have cap space, high draft picks and we were in almost every game this season

8-8 with a healthy Luck and high draft picks would be underwhelming 

Do you know Andrew Luck is healthy? I hope he is, but I know that I don't know for sure. I don't know why I am crazy for saying 8 wins. I would love if we were able to fill all of the holes we have this offseason but I just don't know if that is possible. If you look at this years schedules, the Browns were in almost every game too. In fact the Colts were blown out by 20 or more points MORE times than the Browns were. Let's be honest, we aren't a very good team right now. Do I believe Andrew Luck makes us better? You bet I do. Am I going to say we are automatically winning the division and in the playoffs because he comes back? No way. The AFC South is not the same division that the Colts used to own. I'm trying to be realistic here is all. I honestly hope I am wrong and I'll gladly admit it if I am, but I just don't see us making a much bigger leap than 4 more wins than last season.

Hopefully the media and the rest of the talking heads will finally say they are wrong about the AFC South. They have called us the doormat of the NFL for a long time and continued throughout most of this season. This division imo is the best top to bottom in the NFL. You add a healthy Luck and Watson and all these teams are capable of getting to the playoffs. With that said, what do the Jags have that we dont? Obviously a top 5 defense. I think we have the potential to be middle of the road or better, but not top of the league. Yet. A fresh offense and a bit more innovative defensive scheme and we are instant contenders....to win our division, not SB. Next season will be more enjoyable to watch, that I gurantee. 

if you watched the playoffs this weekend, the quality of play, players, & most of the coaching was outstanding.  it certainly makes it more sobering as far as the distance the Colts must make up, it's a bit depressing.  However, I'm sticking with the 2019 prediction of making a really decent playoff run (win at least two games).  Two names I think we can cross off (unless we make a hire tomorrow-monday) are Taub and Vrabel (since we would have already pulled the trigger).  I've gotta eat my crow on the non-selection of Taub, I put too much into media reports. 

On 1/13/2018 at 7:15 AM, CopenhagenColt said:

Give me a break. If you had replaced JB with Luck thisyear,do you think we would beSB contenders? Really?

Come on man. Our defense is among the worst in the league. Our O-line IS the worst in the league, and other than T.Y. we have no players on offense that anyone not completely blinded by their love for the team would ever claim was truly elite in the NFL, Other than our kicker perhaps. Same goes for the defense. Some talent, sure, but no Watt, Von Miller, Ngata, Lewis, Reed,Kuechly, Sherman level players.Zero.

I love Luck, but even Peyton at the top of his game would not have been able to make this team a SB contender. Even Peyton had some top notch players around him.

Get real.

With Luck? This year? No. Not SB Contenders. Not with the 2017 coaching staff. That's one of the big differences between this year and next.

I do think Luck would've been able to put this team in the playoffs, though. The defense wasn't as bad as advertised, it was mostly let down by a sub par offense that often failed to put points on the board. We don't have a star defensive player but we do have several solid pieces and a couple promising rookies. I think a lot of cap space, healthy Luck and a top coaching staff (McDaniels would be a pivotal piece) would do wonders.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:13 PM, colt18 said:

Are you expecting us to contend for a Super Bowl? 

Ill say yes. Luck has taken worse teams to the AFC Championship, and has also beat great teams on his own (Seattle, Denver 2x). I think whichever coaching staff we hire will be better than the last, which would make it even more of a sure thing. I’ve stated this opinion on other boards and continue to be attacked by Raiders fans (of all people!)

Our defense is still a year or 2 away from being able to hold up against an elite offense, especially in a playoff atmosphere. For that reason alone, I say no. However, I do expect the offense to be light years better, and potentially be one of the better units in the league. My main concern is the learning curve... it's going to take some time for Luck, the WRs, RBs, and OL to all gel and function as a unit under McDaniels system. Luck has really only been in either Air Coryell or some variation of West Coast offense, so this will be unchartered territory for him.