Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

21 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

As I mentioned in the Philbin thread, but thought it may be worth further discussion on its own merit.

Based off of our previous offensive playbook we ran a lot of deep, time consuming routes designed for chunk and/or homerun plays.

Obviously this leaves our Offensive Line at a greater disadvantage while trying to block for these plays as they develop. The byproduct of which is a lot of sacks and quarterback hits.

If McDaniels is hired as our new HC and/or a West Coast type offensive minded OC you've got to think the quick hitter routes and 3 step drops versus 5-7 step drops will reduce the sacks/hits.....

Just by virtue of getting the ball out quicker the oline should show improvement. Castonzo, Kelly, Good, Haeg, and Clark are good building blocks that offer versatility at the very least.

Adding a Norwell, or Hurst from the Ravens, or Cooper from the Cowboys, or Gabe Jackson from the Raiders, or Zach Fulton from the Chiefs would certainly add competition and depth - or Norwell's case a proven All-Pro to put between Castonzo and Kelly.

Adding Norwell and just one of those other guys on a lesser deal would certainly go a long ways towards "fixing" the oline. Scheme helps just as much as talent!

Thoughts?

I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but in case you weren't aware, Gabe Jackson signed an extension last offseason to keep him under contract until after the 2022 season. 

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously, this is not an offensive line to build on. Honestly, it's 8th from the bottom in yards per carry in rushing and the league's laughing stock at keeping the qb upright. Sure, some passes have been designed to go deep but no more than most other teams. We have to face it, that we have 2 decent O linemen, one marginal and 2 not good at all. Keep AC, but he's not good at LT, maybe RT, keep Kelly of course, Mewhort is solid. But we need at least 2 more O linemen and a real LT. A real LT.

I think a good left guard may help AC. Even when he gets his guy high and wide, the QB can step up in the pocket with the DL in his face. Stop that bleed and AC will look much better. Just my opinion. He's not perfect by any stretch, but he makes LT a much lower priority.

28 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2018/1/6/16858544/fixing-the-colts-offensive-line-3-guards-to-look-at-in-free-agency

Get Norwell at all costs. We have more than enough money. 

If Mewhort costs too much, go get Hurst as well. Fulton might get the nod here because of his KC ties though. 

That still leaves us with the need of RT. 

Mewhort's contract should be tied to how many games he plays, if we re-sign him.  I think between Haeg and Good we have decent RT's.  Either way, I hope Ballard goes after the two best Olinmen available.

Norwell is going to be overpaid, probably Fulton too.  Which is fine.  We tried the cheap route, it don't work.

Norwell is a no-brainer, just make him the highest paid guard in the league and have done with it.

I forgot he played with Mewhort in collage as well so hopefully has a link to the team already.

We have 3 solid pieces then, 4 if Mewhort is fit and resigned. Surely we can get solid play out of Haeg, Good or Clark in the 5th spot with a bit of coaching and scheme help? 

9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Mewhort's contract should be tied to how many games he plays, if we re-sign him.  I think between Haeg and Good we have decent RT's.  Either way, I hope Ballard goes after the two best Olinmen available.

Norwell is going to be overpaid, probably Fulton too.  Which is fine.  We tried the cheap route, it don't work.

Yes Norwell will be expensive and will be overpaid.......luckily the Colts are flush with cap space that they have to use most of....

Might as well use it on quality.

15 hours ago, Blueblazes said:

Seriously, this is not an offensive line to build on. Honestly, it's 8th from the bottom in yards per carry in rushing and the league's laughing stock at keeping the qb upright. Sure, some passes have been designed to go deep but no more than most other teams. We have to face it, that we have 2 decent O linemen, one marginal and 2 not good at all. Keep AC, but he's not good at LT, maybe RT, keep Kelly of course, Mewhort is solid. But we need at least 2 more O linemen and a real LT. A real LT.

The lackluster OL has been a major problem dating back to Polian's last seasons (remember how Peyton had to run quick passes to keep from getting killed) and continued to get worse.  I feel it should be the #1 priority, whether addressed via FA, draft, or trades.  The impact of a crummy OL affects the defense (time on the field), the offensive production, and perhaps most importantly the health/production of the most important player on the team.

(Not a revelation, but I've been beating that drum for many seasons and there's no reason to stop yet).

I won't be surprised if Bond is one of the starting guards next year.  I will be shocked if Carolina does not re-sign Norwell, so I doubt he even becomes a free agent.  Besides as far as free agents go, I like Richburg better, especially if the Colts stay with a zone blocking scheme.  He's played center the last couple of years but came in at LG as a rookie and played really well.  He will probably demand more than the Giants are willing to spend.  Then draft Quenton Nelson with the 3rd pick (or 6th is the Colts swing a trade with the Jets (speculation from another thread) and be done with it.  I know people will say that is too early for a guard and it is under normal circumstances but Nelson is not a normal guard entering the draft, IMO.  He is a once every 5 or 6 year guard prospect.  His athleticism and lower body agility is amazing for a guy his size.  And then he has the strength to really move and direct DTs and NTs.

Then the Colts have AC/Nelson/Kelly/Bond/Good.  With Haeg as the primary back up to both guard and tackle spots.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Agreed! I wouldn't be upset if Mewhort said no to an incentive based contract. I'd like to see money tied to games played for all players really. 

We have plenty of cap, and we need O-linemen badly. Break out the checkbook, it's time to overpay. We have got to stop leading the league in getting sacked! 

6 hours ago, Turftoe said:

The lackluster OL has been a major problem dating back to Polian's last seasons (remember how Peyton had to run quick passes to keep from getting killed) and continued to get worse.  I feel it should be the #1 priority, whether addressed via FA, draft, or trades.  The impact of a crummy OL affects the defense (time on the field), the offensive production, and perhaps most importantly the health/production of the most important player on the team.

(Not a revelation, but I've been beating that drum for many seasons and there's no reason to stop yet).

I totally agree. 

I'm still hoping we trade back a few spots and grab Nelson.   Having a top run blocking and pass blocking guard would be great for the team.  

On 1/7/2018 at 4:26 AM, NewColtsFan said:

I think I have bad news for you...

I looked up Maea Teuhema (sp?) and it looks like he got kicked out of LSU before this season started.

As best I can tell he didn't play anywhere this year.    I'm not even sure he transferred anywhere.    If he did, I didn't see the report anywhere.   So I'm not even sure what his status is for the draft?   But he won't be a 2nd round pick for anyone.  Not after he has missed the entire 2017 season.

Sorry....   I know you're high on him...   please don't kill the messenger!   :peek:

Good News, Walter Football says that the LSU people are talking up both Maea Teuhema and his older brother who is a rush linebacker.  It has been pretty well established that they are not character risks.  Both brothers kicked B at Southeastern Louisiana this year.  Can you imagine trading down for Nelson and taking Teuhema in the second.  That would be sick.

On 1/6/2018 at 8:49 PM, Scott Pennock said:

As I mentioned in the Philbin thread, but thought it may be worth further discussion on its own merit.

Based off of our previous offensive playbook we ran a lot of deep, time consuming routes designed for chunk and/or homerun plays.

Obviously this leaves our Offensive Line at a greater disadvantage while trying to block for these plays as they develop. The byproduct of which is a lot of sacks and quarterback hits.

If McDaniels is hired as our new HC and/or a West Coast type offensive minded OC you've got to think the quick hitter routes and 3 step drops versus 5-7 step drops will reduce the sacks/hits.....

Just by virtue of getting the ball out quicker the oline should show improvement. Castonzo, Kelly, Good, Haeg, and Clark are good building blocks that offer versatility at the very least.

Adding a Norwell, or Hurst from the Ravens, or Cooper from the Cowboys, or Gabe Jackson from the Raiders, or Zach Fulton from the Chiefs would certainly add competition and depth - or Norwell's case a proven All-Pro to put between Castonzo and Kelly.

Adding Norwell and just one of those other guys on a lesser deal would certainly go a long ways towards "fixing" the oline. Scheme helps just as much as talent!

Thoughts?

I like it all, the only issue is these guys may be the most sought-after of all free agents save QB.  So very few guys with extremely high demand, especially Norwell.  I don't care how we solve this issue but it must be solved.  We need to be ready to draft Oline and Pass rush.

On 1/7/2018 at 6:13 PM, Blueblazes said:

AC played lights out the second half of the season and didn't allow a sack.

- He did that without Jack Mewhort playing beside him.

- A backup QB, who has a knack for holding onto the ball too long.

- Playing LT. So why would we switch him to RT? He was our best lineman by a mile this season.

- Do you even watch any of these games?

The Colts could literally make one or two signings in free agency, draft an offensive lineman, or even re-sign Jack Mewhort if they think he can come back at 100%

I'll wait and see what we do and after the draft, we should have a much better idea where our offensive line stands.

We gotta stay healthy. It's that simple.

We need a dynamic LG. Costanzo is serviceable at LT, Kelly is solid, We need to upgrade at RG and RT and another solid blocking TE. I know that is a lot to ask in one draft but free agency may get us one of those players depending what offensive line player we take early Round 1 or 2 

We will have the most money to spend in the entire NFL. Probably close to 90 million in cap room. This is what people don't get, and I've said this 119 times and counting. When you have a young franchise QB YOU CAN turn into a contender in one offseason. Don't realize why some don't realize this. But you add on top of us having that young, elite, franchise QB. Pair it with the 3rd overall pick, and 80-90 million in cap room. Easy. So. Is Andrew Norwell a superstar ? Heck yes. He's an all pro, he's young, and getting better every season.  Is he Martin or Osemele ? Na. NOT YET ANYWAY.. But who cares. Make him the highest paid Guard in the NFL.  He's an ascending player who's already a top 5-6ish G, and on this contract he'll probably reach a whole different level and become known as one of the 2-3 best interior OL in the league. Then bring in somebody like Kline as well. Bring Mewhort back if he's willing to take a cheap 1year deal and have to fight  for a starting job......At RT. Which honestly I think he would be even better at. He's solid when healthy. He's just not ever 100%. A 1 year deal to earn a big payday would push him...So...We'd then have Mewhort, Haeg, Good, Clark battling it out for the RT spot. I do NOT want to see us use a high RD pick on the OL considering where we're picking in each RD. And especially when we can just sign a couple star caliber G's in FA. Problem solved. IMO drafting a OL early would be dumb when we can use those top 2-3 picks on EDGE, ILB, and RB and just sign a proven young all pro caliber G. We have the chance to get our own Von Miller, Kahlil Mack type EDGE rusher this draft. We need to continue to build a beastly young core on defense.

Castanzo - Norwell - Kelly - Kline - Mewort........Then Haeg, Good, Clark, and Person as the backups.  That's not just an improved OL. LOL. Na. That's a top 3-5 OL in the entire NFL.

I was pleased with what we done last year. Adding quality depth, Some young players like Simon, Hankins, and even Sheard. He's what ? Like 28 ? But Simon and Hankins should have their best years on their current contracts. Simon was balling out before he got hurt. Ballard showed the knack to find gems in FA like the addition of Woods who I absolutely loved, and could maybe be our starting NT for the next 2-3 years.. He played at a very high level this season. He seems to have had a good draft, as I see Hooker being a top 5 safety in the league. Wilson being a really good CB. Maybe a number 1 caliber CB. Hairston who IMO will be a really good nickel. I think Basham will be a good pass rusher. Mack will be a beast at RB. Then who knows what we have in Stewart. Point is he had a solid first draft for the most part.

8 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

True but I think his effectiveness will be reduced.  

How well is he going to do trying to catch 5 yard slant rounds over the middle?  

Just pull a Marv....catch and drop

21 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Castanzo - Norwell - Kelly - Kline - Mewort........Then Haeg, Good, Clark, and Person as the backups.  That's not just an improved OL. LOL. Na. That's a top 3-5 OL in the entire NFL.

Until Mewhort and Kelly get injured again. LOL. 

On 1/9/2018 at 6:18 AM, Dark Superman said:

AC played lights out the second half of the season and didn't allow a sack.

- He did that without Jack Mewhort playing beside him.

- A backup QB, who has a knack for holding onto the ball too long.

- Playing LT. So why would we switch him to RT? He was our best lineman by a mile this season.

- Do you even watch any of these games?

AC played lights out because of rumors of him being traded. Other then that the guy sucks. He’ll be replaced once his contract is up. 

AC played lights out because he's a good LT, the amount of flack he gets for nothing is insane......He played better because of rumors of him getting traded? He played great after the trade deadline so that doesn't make sense. All season he only gave up 6 sacks and Briss never would throw the ball away, and he's one of the best run blockers in the NFL.

15 hours ago, a06cc said:

AC played lights out because of rumors of him being traded. Other then that the guy sucks. He’ll be replaced once his contract is up. 

Do you have any links to the rumours of him being traded?  Not seen that anywhere and so would appreciate evidence.  To the contrary, Ballard has spoken highly of him this year, more so than any other lineman.

Also, to just say the guy "sucks" in response to @Dark Superman post which contained plenty of specific examples (all of which were accurate from my perspective) on the other side of the argument is just lazy and the type of comment that @WoolMagnet was referring to.....CAW CAW!

3 hours ago, DaveA1102 said:

Do you have any links to the rumours of him being traded?  Not seen that anywhere and so would appreciate evidence.  To the contrary, Ballard has spoken highly of him this year, more so than any other lineman.

Also, to just say the guy "sucks" in response to @Dark Superman post which contained plenty of specific examples (all of which were accurate from my perspective) on the other side of the argument is just lazy and the type of comment that @WoolMagnet was referring to.....CAW CAW!

You two can have your prospective. Mostly everyone here knows the guy is just “serviceable” After the 2018 season we’ll see if his contract is renewed. Also during week 4 rumors of him being up for trades. The indystar mentioned this. 20 millions dollars is way too much to be paying for him. 

On 1/8/2018 at 7:08 AM, Coffeedrinker said:

I won't be surprised if Bond is one of the starting guards next year.  I will be shocked if Carolina does not re-sign Norwell, so I doubt he even becomes a free agent.  Besides as far as free agents go, I like Richburg better, especially if the Colts stay with a zone blocking scheme.  He's played center the last couple of years but came in at LG as a rookie and played really well.  He will probably demand more than the Giants are willing to spend.  Then draft Quenton Nelson with the 3rd pick (or 6th is the Colts swing a trade with the Jets (speculation from another thread) and be done with it.  I know people will say that is too early for a guard and it is under normal circumstances but Nelson is not a normal guard entering the draft, IMO.  He is a once every 5 or 6 year guard prospect.  His athleticism and lower body agility is amazing for a guy his size.  And then he has the strength to really move and direct DTs and NTs.

Then the Colts have AC/Nelson/Kelly/Bond/Good.  With Haeg as the primary back up to both guard and tackle spots.

I'd be very surprised if Carolina resigned Norwell.

1) They are near the bottom of the league in cap room with 16 million.

2) C Ryan Kahil cap hit 10 mill.

3) They just re-upped G Tre Turner .. cap hit 8 mill but goes to 9 .. then 12. Can't cut him as hit would be massive.

4)LT Matt Kahil  cap hit 7 mill , then goes up to 12 mill. If cut dead cap is 10 mill for this year and 8 mill for 2019.

So they have a fortune tied up in the O line with the only "wiggle room " for the next at least 2 years being cutting Ryan Kahil. His 2018 dead money is 2.7 mill. He's pretty darn good , so I can't see that happening. 

My opinion is to sign Norwell , they would have way ..way too much invested in their O line. But if they figure on letting Kahil go this year , I guess it's feasible . However looking at the whole picture , you would think (IMO) you just let Norwell go. You also need to consider that Norwell will figure he's worth a fortune in FA and that should drive his price so high that Carolina can't even think about it unless Norwell is willing to give them a very large home team discount. I do realize they can get creative and re-do some deals and fit him but just my opinion what I have above will instead be the case.

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I'd be very surprised if Carolina resigned Norwell.

1) They are near the bottom of the league in cap room with 16 million.

2) C Ryan Kahil cap hit 10 mill.

3) They just re-upped G Tre Turner .. cap hit 8 mill but goes to 9 .. then 12. Can't cut him as hit would be massive.

4)LT Matt Kahil  cap hit 7 mill , then goes up to 12 mill. If cut dead cap is 10 mill for this year and 8 mill for 2019.

So they have a fortune tied up in the O line with the only "wiggle room " for the next at least 2 years being cutting Ryan Kahil. His 2018 dead money is 2.7 mill. He's pretty darn good , so I can't see that happening. 

My opinion is to sign Norwell , they would have way ..way too much invested in their O line. But if they figure on letting Kahil go this year , I guess it's feasible . However looking at the whole picture , you would think (IMO) you just let Norwell go. You also need to consider that Norwell will figure he's worth a fortune in FA and that should drive his price so high that Carolina can't even think about it unless Norwell is willing to give them a very large home team discount. I do realize they can get creative and re-do some deals and fit him but just my opinion what I have above will instead be the case.

You make some very good points.

8 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

You make some very good points.

I guess you never know but hard to see them spending over 12 mill a year on a guard. If he's as good as pundants are saying , he'll easily get that. Truthfully , I have no idea if he's great or if what I'm reading is nonsense. I watched Carolina a bit but I hardly spent time watching Norwell.

3 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I guess you never know but hard to see them spending over 12 mill a year on a guard. If he's as good as pundants are saying , he'll easily get that. Truthfully , I have no idea if he's great or if what I'm reading is nonsense. I watched Carolina a bit but I hardly spent time watching Norwell.

It's a great point, I had no idea they had that much money tied up in other lineman.

2 hours ago, a06cc said:

You two can have your prospective. Mostly everyone here knows the guy is just “serviceable” After the 2018 season we’ll see if his contract is renewed. Also during week 4 rumors of him being up for trades. The indystar mentioned this. 20 millions dollars is way too much to be paying for him. 

So in the space of two comments he had gone from "sucks" to "serviceable". In your reply to this post he will be an all pro!

A quick Google finds no indy star article saying rumours of a trade. The only article I found was Doyel giving his opinion on who should be traded but, again, that does not match up with what you have stated as fact.

We can all have our perspective, but please don't pass on opinions as facts.

15 minutes ago, DaveA1102 said:

So in the space of two comments he had gone from "sucks" to "serviceable". In your reply to this post he will be an all pro!

A quick Google finds no indy star article saying rumours of a trade. The only article I found was Doyel giving his opinion on who should be traded but, again, that does not match up with what you have stated as fact.

We can all have our perspective, but please don't pass on opinions as facts.

I said some people here. I wasn’t speaking for myself. The guy absolutely sucks. 

On 1/7/2018 at 6:13 PM, Blueblazes said:

I agree with you about AC. I’ve been saying it for years. The guy isn’t a good LT. I don’t care what the lovers of him say. PFF is great one week then the worst thing another around here. 

1 hour ago, a06cc said:

I agree with you about AC. I’ve been saying it for years. The guy isn’t a good LT. I don’t care what the lovers of him say. PFF is great one week then the worst thing another around here. 

Well I have always stated the PFF offensive grades are crap.  And AC is not only a good LT but a very good LT.  I won't rehash everything I've said on this forum regarding the line but there are some falsehoods

1.  The high number of sacks is because so many patterns are to go deep and Brisett holds the ball too long.  So much so he is 4th highest in the league with time to throw.

2.  The Colts run a lot of 5 steps drops out of the shotgun.  That gives the advantage to the D.

3.  AC had to shorten his kick slide a bit to help with Vuj who lacked the agility to fully cover his area.

4.  I am a firm believer that Philbin's blocking scheme was not very good.